Jets being contacted for Wilkerson

prime21

My concern with Wilkerson is that his production has fallen off the 2nd half of the season the last two years.

2013 7 sacks first half, 3.5 second half.

2014 4.5 sacks first half, 1.5 second half.

With Richardson basically now the best dlineman on the team I would want to hold onto MoWilk but I wouldn't go out of my way to give him his big pay day until I have to.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember the old saying " you can pay me now or you can pay me later"

Allowing him to get to FA will cost a lot more $$$

We still have to think about the $ for richardson coming down the line.  Imo Wilkerson has actually not reached his potential the last two years in the 2nd half of the season.

Drafting Williams to replace Wilkerson would be annoying.

If the Jets decide they don't want to pay big money for two 3-4 defensive ends and Bowles thinks he can work with Coples and Richardson as the 5 techniques, I'd get it. Now's probably when Wilkerson's got the most value. They could get two decent players potentially if we're talking a top 10 pick. This probably isn't the draft to do it - kind of like when they traded Revis which was also a weaker draft - but whatever. They do have three capable vet backups at the position (Bowen, Vickerson, and Douzable) as well. Wondered why they signed all of those guys, maybe this is part of it.

If they think he gives them a shot at a franchise QB, I'd get that too. As awesome as Wilkerson is, he's not as valuable as a franchise QB. But I'm not sure that guy's in the draft. Wilkerson and #6 is a ton to give up to get to #2 also, if we got a day two pick back or something that'd soften the blow a bit but that still seems like a lot. I bet Tennessee would be all over Wilkerson and #6 for #2 though.

That said, can't we keep the nice things that we draft? I'd be more into trading Wilkerson when he's at the back end of his prime like the Patriots always do.

I would not like it. But it would at least be somewhat understandable from a financial standpoint. But I would not like it.

Stupid.  You have no idea how any of these guys pan out meanwhile, we have on of the best 3-4 DE's in the league on our squad.  Local boy, home grown, one of the few draft picks we've hit in the past 10 years.  

I hate the Jets.

Then why are you here? Typical.

Well, this is interesting indeed.  This type of thing might hinge on Leonard Williams falling into the Jets lap?  Perhaps the Jets move Coples to End where he belongs?  We'd have to get a very good price if we were to consider this.

I hope we don't. You don't give up on a known, proven talent.

Trading Wilkerson would be the stupidest thing in the world. He's a proven commodity. He's a very good player. Pay the ******* man.

Why should we trade one of the best defensive lineman in the league, and then an unknown commodity at 6? It just makes no sense.

Well, he's going to cost us a lot of $$$ to keep.  If he plays out his contract, he's gone in FA.

Beerfish is spot on if Williams falls to us!  Muhammed is worth a high Round 1 plus a 3rd or 4th.

and honestly... has he consistently been "all that" for us?

How is Mo who never made a Pro Bowl worth more then Abe who had multiple Pro bowls plus  All Pro and we got a 29th pick in the 1st for?? Mo's a good player but some Jet fans seem to think he's JJ Watt..LOL

Muhammad Wilkerson

Adam Schefter has an interesting update about Muhammad Wilkerson. He tweeted that multiple teams have contacted the Jets inquiring about trading for Wilkerson.

This is not saying the Jets are actively trying to trade Wilkerson. All it says is the Jets have been approached by other teams. There has been a lot of discussion surrounding a contract extension for Wilkerson, who will become a free agent after the season.

There is some additional information and fan reaction to the in our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
gnxPAMJgQTs

View the full article

Trading Wilkerson would be the stupidest thing in the world. He's a proven commodity. He's a very good player. Pay the ******* man.

Why should we trade one of the best defensive lineman in the league, and then an unknown commodity at 6? It just makes no sense.

I assume we will be doing much better than 6 if we trade Wilkerson.  I like Wilkerson and would prefer not to move him, but we'd have to see what we are getting before we complain too hard.  Change in regime usually means some good players fall by the wayside and some guys you thought sucked turn out good.  Remember when Rex came?  We had to pay Kerry Rhodes!  Sione Pouha was a piece of sh*t.  Parcells dumped Hugh Douglas.  Herm moved our cover corners.  Mangini let Brooks Bollinger walk! Maybe Bowles doesn't like Wilkerson as much as us.  Maybe he doesn't have as much use for a guy who has skills that may kind of be duplicated by Sheldon and Coples. Tough to say.

How is Mo who never made a Pro Bowl worth more then Abe who had multiple Pro bowls plus  All Pro and we got a 29th pick in the 1st for?? Mo's a good player but some Jet fans seem to think he's JJ Watt..LOL

I completely agree. He is a very good player. He has not yet reached his potential perhaps, but I don't see multiple picks being offered for him.

I hope we don't. You don't give up on a known, proven talent.

It all comes down to the definition of proven talent.  If Wilk wants absolute top tier Dline money he has not earned that yet.  He was passed lat year by richardson and has faded down the stretch the last couple of years.  He's a really good player who you want to keep but if he is asking for the moon you have to think about moving him when he is at his top value.  The trade offer would have to be a very large one to consider it though that is for sure.

It all comes down to the definition of proven talent.  If Wilk wants absolute top tier Dline money he has not earned that yet.  He was passed lat year by richardson and has faded down the stretch the last couple of years.  He's a really good player who you want to keep but if he is asking for the moon you have to think about moving him when he is at his top value.  The trade offer would have to be a very large one to consider it though that is for sure.

I agree that Richardson passed him but they both feed off each other.  Take one out of the equation and the other will suffer a bit more because there would be more focus on them

Moving up for Mariota makes ZERO sense. The two season's Mariota will be holding the clipboard on the sideline, Wilk will be on his way to the Pro Bowl. And the two season on the sidelines is the best case scenario for Mariota. If someone has legit doubts he will not amount to much in the NFL i won't blame them.

JETS would be better served to hold on their Wilk.

It makes alot of sense. I like Wilk... we all do. But DLmen do not win titles. QBs do. How many playoff games has JJ Watt won?

If you don't like MM, that's one thing. But believing that Wilk can help the Jets win a title with below average turnover machines at QB is what makes zero sense.

I am perfectly fine moving Wilk to ensure Mariota is a Jet.

Moving up for Mariota makes ZERO sense. The two season's Mariota will be holding the clipboard on the sideline, Wilk will be on his way to the Pro Bowl. And the two season on the sidelines is the best case scenario for Mariota. If someone has legit doubts he will not amount to much in the NFL i won't blame them.

JETS would be better served to hold on their Wilk.

It may make 0 sense to you, or to me, but what matters is what kind of sense it makes to Macc Bowles, and Gailey.  if Gailey is in love with Mariota it changes things.  Don't know

It depends on what Wilkerson is demanding.  For all we know he may be demanding Suh kind of money.  Don't know  Keep in mind that Richardson is going to be a FA in 2017.  How much money are they going to invest in DE?

Even with the franchise tag that's 10.339% of total cap.  Under the current cap, which will go up next year, that's $14,680,000.   Probably $16,000,000 next year.

If they don't think they want to get something done at those prices, it makes perfect sense to see what kind of a market there is for Wilkerson.

Wilk and Geno for Rivers, it's like where do i sign.

Anything else.....meh, I will pass.

Ok, trading him for Phillip Rivers is one thing. For extra picks would make me puke. If they lose him to FA I will puke. Keep your owns stars for **** sake...unless you get a Franchise QB back in exchange.

It makes alot of sense. I like Wilk... we all do. But DLmen do not win titles. QBs do. How many playoff games has JJ Watt won?

If you don't like MM, that's one thing. But believing that Wilk can help the Jets win a title with below average turnover machines at QB is what makes zero sense.

Very good NFL QB's are worth a lot. Only there are question marks if Mariota can be even an average NFL QB.

I assume we will be doing much better than 6 if we trade Wilkerson. I like Wilkerson and would prefer not to move him, but we'd have to see what we are getting before we complain too hard. Change in regime usually means some good players fall by the wayside and some guys you thought sucked turn out good. Remember when Rex came? We had to pay Kerry Rhodes! Sione Pouha was a piece of sh*t. Parcells dumped Hugh Douglas. Herm moved our cover corners. Mangini let Brooks Bollinger walk! Maybe Bowles doesn't like Wilkerson as much as us. Maybe he doesn't have as much use for a guy who has skills that may kind of be duplicated by Sheldon and Coples. Tough to say.

The players you named above are not even in the same conversation was Wilk. Honestly, if it wasn't for Watt, we can argue that Wilk might be the best 3-4 DE in the game.

His production and the attention he gets makes our entire defense better. I don't pay attention to the amount of pro bowls a player makes. Trading this guy will be a mistake unless we get a franchise QB in return.

It may make 0 sense to you, or to me, but what matters is what kind of sense it makes to Macc Bowles, and Gailey.  if Gailey is in love with Mariota it changes things.  Don't know

It depends on what Wilkerson is demanding.  For all we know he may be demanding Suh kind of money.  Don't know  Keep in mind that Richardson is going to be a FA in 2017.  How much money are they going to invest in DE.

Even with the franchise tag that's 10.339% of total cap.  Under the current cap, which will go up next year, that's $14,680,000.   Probably $16,000,000 next year.

If they don't think they want to get something done at those prices, it makes perfect sense to see what kind of a market there is for Wilkerson.

We should not short change ourselves. Reminds me of the guy who was trying to justify why the JETS did not pick Marino.

Right now a deal would look something like, Wilk + #6 pick for Top 5 that gets us Mariota makes no sense right now.

If he's asking for a huge amount of money, then Maccagnan has to explore a deal.  I'd be approaching the Redskins if I were Maccagnan and see about acquiring their #5 overall pick if he feels that he has to move Wilkerson.  They could then get one of the WRs there and still get a pass rusher like they've been talking about, or they could package both the #5 and #6 picks to go up to get a QB.

The players you named above are not even in the same conversation was Wilk. Honestly, if it wasn't for Watt, we can argue that Wilk might be the best 3-4 DE in the game.

His production and the attention he gets makes our entire defense better. I don't pay attention to the amount of pro bowls a player makes. Trading this guy will be a mistake unless we get a franchise QB in return.

I agree, but I can only assume that whatever move they would make would be for a franchise QB.  We have heard Brees and Rivers names thrown around.  More scary is that they like Mariota.  I wouldn't like it, but I would understand.

Only way I would do this is for a king's ransom. Maybe this year's 1 and next years 1 and 2, plus other picks.

More than what we got for Revis.

I wonder though if this is a smokescreen by the Jets to suggest that they will take Williams and thereby getting somebody who wants Williams to trade up with us.

It depends on what Wilkerson is demanding.  For all we know he may be demanding Suh kind of money.  Don't know  Keep in mind that Richardson is going to be a FA in 2017.  How much money are they going to invest in DE?

Mo's agent met with Mac during the combine and it was reported they were miles apart contract wise.. You could at least make a argument that Revis was worth around what his agents wanted but Mo isn't anywhere near the talent Revis had as a CB that Mo is as a DE.. If the asking price was in the reasonable area I think it would have been done.. That's why I think their waiting for the draft and Mo may go in some sort of deal..

Archived