Geno with 5 consecutive TD passes and 70yd TD today, no picks

Barkus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good Jets fan roots hard for Geno to fail quickly and often so that the inevitable move to Fitzpatrick happens with time to be ready for Week 1.

SAR I

I don't get that line of thinking. I'm rooting for Geno to play great, and for Fitz to only get the job by playing better than that.

In case you guys don't really understand why Sar 1 would say that is simply because he's had his eyes wide open for the past 2 seasons and frankly doesn't believe that Geno Smith has what it takes to be a starting QB on a contending team and until I see different, neither do I

In case you guys don't really understand why Sar 1 would say that is simply because he's had his eyes wide open for the past 2 seasons and frankly doesn't believe that Geno Smith has what it takes to be a starting QB on a contending team and until I see different, neither do I

Homers cannot differentiate between "rooting" and "predicting." I am rooting to win powerball this saturday, but I am predicting I will not.

It would be depressing if the team shelled out $200M in new contracts, lost none of the good players who were here, had a solid draft, and we're still not even .500 on the season. Especially with a handful of games vs Cleveland, Washington, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tennessee. Not to mention Houston, who's down Andre Johnson and whose QB situation is only better than ours in theory (and who shouldn't be able to pass or run on this defense anyway), the Giants, the big ? in Philadelphia, a pair of games against Miami (who a pathetic '14 Jets team nearly - and should have - swept), Buffalo minus last year's starting QB, and a decidedly-weaker Patriots team that lost multiple key players. If we win 2 more games than last year's embarrassment - which itself included a game that Ryan spitefully/purposely tanked vs Miami - then we've got serious coaching problems again.

That aside, it's good to see Geno having a great practice. Hopefully we get more of this and less of his all-pick/no-touchdown performances. Though for his great practices and awful ones alike, it's all so meaningless.

All of this makes perfect sense. I was just being a Negative Nelly.

FYI, if his long pass was in the air for say 3 seconds, that's 1.5 seconds up and 1.5 seconds down.  Terminal vertical velocity would be 48 ft/s, and it would have traveled down 36 feet down from its apex (x = at^2 / 2, where a = 32 ft / s^2).  Adding in the 36 feet up, you have 24 extra yards of vertical distance.  (Not taking into account air resistance, of course.)  So a 70 yard pass in the air for 3 seconds travels 94 yards.

So clearly Revis sucks.

yeah watching him throw to maybe the worst starting wr core in the league last year and the worst wr core I have ever seen as a jet fan spanning over decades (especially when decker was out/hurting)-

many of the throw that jaqs like nelson could not handle or get to a stud like marshall will leap up and grab them-him and decker with our rookie , geno will have plenty of tools and plenty of success

A good Jets fan roots hard for Geno to fail quickly and often so that the inevitable move to Fitzpatrick happens with time to be ready for Week 1.

SAR I

Because Fitzpatrick is so much better SAR I you are not a true Jets fan I question you as being a fan at all the PSL ownership may just be another status material thing for you to brag about. 

I don't get that line of thinking. I'm rooting for Geno to play great, and for Fitz to only get the job by playing better than that.

I've seen enough of Geno to know he just doesn't have it.

Think of it this way:  During his 3rd season, most of Jet Nation was ready to throw Mark Sanchez out with the garbage and he went on a 16-4 run at one point and won 4 playoff games, was the best Jet on the field in two Championship Games too.

Geno hasn't sniffed anything close to that, hasn't had a signature game or even a signature half in the same timeframe.

He's awful.  Fitzpatrick's team.  Just a matter of time, and the sooner the better.  Don't need another rookie coach dicking around with a has-been like we've seen Edwards with Testaverde or Mangini with Pennington.  Fresh coaching staff, fresh start, fresh quarterback.

SAR I

FYI, if his long pass was in the air for say 3 seconds, that's 1.5 seconds up and 1.5 seconds down.  Terminal vertical velocity would be 48 ft/s, and it would have traveled down 36 feet down from its apex (x = at^2 / 2, where a = 32 ft / s^2).  Adding in the 36 feet up, you have 24 extra yards of vertical distance.  (Not taking into account air resistance, of course.)  So a 70 yard pass in the air for 3 seconds travels 94 yards.

So clearly Revis sucks.

You made this up

So it would be bad for a Jets fan to root for Geno to do great and  lead this team to a Super Bowl? SAR Logic....

If we saw a modicum of talent to lead us to believe this were a possibility, of course not.

Geno hasn't had a signature game yet and it's Year 3.  He's blown more games than he's contributed to.  He's a bum.  If you want to believe in the Tooth Fairy, you go right ahead.  I see 2 wasted seasons on a terrible draft pick by a guy who wasn't a GM by any stretch of the imagination, I'm not up for a 3rd.  After all the Rex Ryan stigma stuck on this team, and as evidenced by the social media nonsense that is now plaguing Bowles locker early on, Geno Smith is a relic from a defeated civilization, he needs to go so we can move on.  Fresh coaching staff, fresh GM, fresh QB.  That's the formula.  Good HC's and GM's don't get fired if they have a good QB.  Should tell you something.

SAR I

Because Fitzpatrick is so much better SAR I you are not a true Jets fan I question you as being a fan at all the PSL ownership may just be another status material thing for you to brag about. 

When I screamed for Rex Ryan to be fired in 2011 people kept asking me "and replace him with who?" and I would respond "Not Rex Ryan".

It didn't matter that we may not have had someone better than Rex Ryan, but the hope that we might was better than sticking with the inevitable.  I'm out of patience with Geno Smith.  He's shown no flashes.  He looks like someone who was going to fall to the 4th round except for a clueless moron GM who has wasted 2 seasons for us, I'm not signing up for a 3rd, neither should you.

SAR I

yeah watching him throw to maybe the worst starting wr core in the league last year and the worst wr core I have ever seen as a jet fan spanning over decades (especially when decker was out/hurting)-

many of the throw that jaqs like nelson could not handle or get to a stud like marshall will leap up and grab them-him and decker with our rookie , geno will have plenty of tools and plenty of success

lol our WR corps was NOWHERE near the worst last year. not even close.

Love seeing Geno bounce back, because long term, a good young QB that is developed is the only way for us to compete year in and year out.  This year's preseason will be very interesting, love to see how the new offensive system is implemented because I've hoped for a spread system for years now.   

The team had one of the worst WR cores ever in 2013.  I would've taken a couple of college team's WR core over those losers (especially Clemson).  It wasn't just a lack of talent, it was a mismatch in the talent they possessed.  We had a speed guy in Hill that couldn't catch.  A hurt Holmes, who was able to run one route when he was healthy, which was the slant.  A slot WR that posed no threat whatsoever in the deep passing game.  And then basically guys that were released by other teams or just sitting at home.  Decker improved it last year for sure, actually gave us a legit threat at WR.  Harvin improved it as well, but he didn't fit what we need.  Harvin works much better as a third option in the slot, when there are two good options on the outside, so he can take short passes and get YAC.  But he was used as a deep threat, which doesn't work well because he doesn't elevate much to get the ball, nor does he track the ball exceptionally well.  Assuming, they are healthy, a Marshall/Decker/Smith trio not only is an upgrade in talent, but they fit together seamlessly.  Marshall, the No. 1 that can fight for the ball, make contested catches, and get YAC.  Decker, is a size/speed combo that runs excellent routes and can kill No. 2 CBs in the league.  And Smith can take the top off the defense, allowing the other two to work underneath with less traffic.  

If we saw a modicum of talent to lead us to believe this were a possibility, of course not.

Geno hasn't had a signature game yet and it's Year 3.  He's blown more games than he's contributed to.  He's a bum.  If you want to believe in the Tooth Fairy, you go right ahead.  I see 2 wasted seasons on a terrible draft pick by a guy who wasn't a GM by any stretch of the imagination, I'm not up for a 3rd.  After all the Rex Ryan stigma stuck on this team, and as evidenced by the social media nonsense that is now plaguing Bowles locker early on, Geno Smith is a relic from a defeated civilization, he needs to go so we can move on.  Fresh coaching staff, fresh GM, fresh QB.  That's the formula.  Good HC's and GM's don't get fired if they have a good QB.  Should tell you something.

SAR I

I doubt Geno will succeed but we have no other choice but to give him a chance. Jet's management realized there were no good QBs on the market and stocked up at other positions. It's not their fault Geno was drafted but once he is on the team you have to give him a chance to succeed. If he fails, it won't be in week 2, it will be in pre-season. The last 2 preseasons combined, Geno has thrown for 2 TDS and 4 Ints. He will need to be much more effective to hold onto the job heading into the season (and according to you he has no chance of doing that because he is terrible). This new regime won't force Geno in the same way Rex forced Sanchez and Geno. If Geno plays like Geno, he won't be our starting QB week 1. 

I'd love to see it, but I don't know that I can put any faith in Geno to improve too much. There's something missing upstairs with the guy, which is unfortunate

Why is it unfortunate? Its not nice to be pitiful towards the DD.

The bottom line is that Chan Gailey disagrees with all of the Geno haters. Geno was an immature little bitch that needs to grow up but the truth is he's played in a system that didn't suit him (WCO), he was thrown into the fire to quickly in his rookie year (Rex stupid preseason blunder with Sanchez), and he played in 2013 with the worst offensive talent in the league (Fact).

In 2014 he played for a coaching staff that threw in the towel pretty quickly.

Everyone was doomed in 2014. The Decker injury, bringing in Harvin (Seattle dumped him for a reason), plus the Miriad of jags that rotated in & out of the lineup.

Cumberland is horrible, Amaro was a raw rookie, Willie Colon was our starting right guard & Brian Winters our starting left guard to start the season! Think about that! Colon was jettisoned 2 years ago by the Steelers (who by the way, don't have some stud Oline), Winters STINKS and was benched pretty quickly.

Our new OC knows Ryan Fitzpatrick & basically cultivated the dude into an NFL QB.

Gailey thinks Geno gives this team the better chance to win & wants to build an offense that suits his skills.

Let's see where this goes.

Steve Young played like CRAP his 1st two years in the league too.

Tampa probably shouldn't have given up on him.

Jets QB Geno Smith rebounds with strong practice at minicamp

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few takeaways from the New York Jets' second minicamp practice:

1. Look, no turnovers for Geno: For those ready to bury Geno Smith after one bad practice, chill out. He rebounded nicely after a three-interception performance on Tuesday. Once again, he took the vast majority of the reps in the team period. This time, he didn't throw any to the wrong team. For the most part, the ball came out quickly and accurately. It was mostly underneath stuff, but he struck deep on one play, finding Walter Powell (yes, really) for a 70-yard touchdown. Ryan Fitzpatrick and rookie Bryce Petty also avoided interceptions, so it was a much better day for the entire passing offense. Head coach Todd Bowles said "the quarterbacks were decent. We just have to be consistent." Geno Smith and the Jets quarterbacks had an efficient day in minicamp. Seth Wenig/AP Images

Obviously the secondary is not scheduled to practice on Wednesday. 

Archived