Ex Jet Jerricho Cotchery's house on the market Watchung N.J

joewilly12

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really impressive to live in an area that is growing. Charlotte right now, and for the past 20 years is booming.

It's not perfect but People love living here. I LOVE IT here.

I do not miss traffic, high property taxes, heavy government involvement.

I posted in some earlier threads that I took a job interview last week in Alabama right on the the Gulf. I find out in a week, really hope I get. I'm over NYC.

I'm trying to talk my wife into relocating to NC.  Low cost of living, still close to the beach, while it can get quit warm then do still have 4 seasons there, nice people.  I'd go in a heartbeat, love NJ and I think it gets a bad reputation but I'm just tired of paying so much to live here.  $10k a year in property taxes on a 1600 sq ft. home is ridiculous to me.

I bought mine in 2012. My house went up about 30% in value over that time. I, of course, don't live in NJ as Im in Dallas. 

I'm up near Dallas/Ft Worth as well.  Also had my home values go up quite a bit.

I'm a lousy shopper. After someone else has done it and put everything together I like saying if it's nice or not.

Probably not as useful. :)

And I've just seen a lot of pictures of things. It's not like I have a 9000 SF house (or anything close to it) to compare.

Taste is something you can not buy my friend and you have it in spades!! :)

So...he bought at the top, rode out the downturn and if he gets his price will have barely broken even.

I bet the taxes on the house are $25,000 to $35,000.

I still wish he remained a JET!

Nice guy from everything I hear. At time of him leaving, Per some in press he left because he was never a fan of Rex's loose attitude and wanted a more 'serious' (Steelers) organization.

There's a lot more going on in Texas besides oil. The super high tax states of NY, NJ, Illinois and Massachusetts lost 5 seats in Congress in the 2010 election. Texas picked up 4, Florida grabbed 2, Arizona and SC picked up a seat each. There's a theme here.

Too be fair, that's also a lot of people (likely a lot of retirees) moving from cold climates to cheaper warm ones. I live on Long Island, and love it. Proximity to the greatest city on Earth and access to world class beaches is unparalleled. But it's expensive, no doubt. I encourage my kids to look elsewhere, including outside the county, to put down roots. I'm looking to retire in 4-6 years, and when I do, it'll be to much warmer, much cheaper climates well south of the border.

Too be fair, that's also a lot of people (likely a lot of retirees) moving from cold climates to cheaper warm ones. I live on Long Island, and love it. Proximity to the greatest city on Earth and access to world class beaches is unparalleled. But it's expensive, no doubt. I encourage my kids to look elsewhere, including outside the county, to put down roots. I'm looking to retire in 4-6 years, and when I do, it'll be to much warmer, much cheaper climates well south of the border.

Will never leave the NYC metro area.  If finances ever become an issue, I will just downsize.  I lost interest in golf years ago and don't like boats.  I'd go crazy anywhere else.

Will never leave the NYC metro area.  If finances ever become an issue, I will just downsize.  I lost interest in golf years ago and don't like boats.  I'd go crazy anywhere else.

I love it, too, most of the time. I'm sitting on a sun porch on Fire Island as I type this, next weekend I work, but the weekend after that I'll be in Brooklyn with the gf. I really get to take advantage of everything the area has to offer. But I am 99% done with winter. The last two have been absolutely brutal here. Once I retire, I will never scrape ice off a windshield again! And moving somewhere super-cheap will leave me plenty of cash to travel back home or to other destinations.

I don't like golf, but I love boats. Grew up in a boating family with a house on one of the small islands in the Great South Bay. I think I need a beach more than I do a city. Definitely see myself couch surfing up here a couple months a year, though! :)

I know a lot of people have relocated to that area from up here and are very happy there.

IMO, there is no where else in the world with the activity level the NYC Metro area has.

You can get to anything you want to within 2 hours.

My primary residence will never be 50 miles outside NYC.

I would terribly miss the culture, the sports, the food, the pace, the attitude, the four seasons, the diversity.

We do pay more for real estate and taxes but I look at that as the vig for living in an area that offers so much.

Hey, it's whatever makes you happy.

Yeah I used to feel the same way.   First 3-4 years after I moved away I missed it very badly.   Now you couldn't get me back there with a gun.   Never say never.  Things change.

It's great when it's nice. I was just up on Cade Cod for a long weekend and it did make me miss the Northeast...but the winters are colder and longer these days...the spring is virtually non existent and it keeps getting more expensive. I moved last year and couldnt be happier.

It's great when it's nice. I was just up on Cade Cod for a long weekend and it did make me miss the Northeast...but the winters are colder and longer these days...the spring is virtually non existent and it keeps getting more expensive. I moved last year and couldnt be happier.

Like I said in a previous post, whatever makes you happy.

I could never leave though.  Too entrenched with all this area has to offer.

And if I need to thaw out in February, I have 3 airports to choose from to get me to Miami in 3 hours.

And when I come back, I can't wait to see that skyline from the airplane.

Like I said in a previous post, whatever makes you happy.

I could never leave though.  Too entrenched with all this area has to offer.

And if I need to thaw out in February, I have 3 airports to choose from to get me to Miami in 3 hours.

And when I come back, I can't wait to see that skyline from the airplane.

Without a doubt. 

Slats....World Class Beaches???  C'mon man, greatest city on earth, yes. I grew up on LI so you dont have to sell me on how great it is.  I just realized that I would rather visit LI and live in FL than the other way around.  There is a very good reason why people how move to FL dont ever move back or if they do they dont stay back(like me).  St.Pete has the world class beaches, watch travel channel when they have teh top ten beaches, i think the St.Pete area had 5 of them.  I have been to Jones beach, Point Lookout, etc and they dont hold a candle to any beach I have been to in FL unless there is a concert going on. 

My $0.02

Slats....World Class Beaches???  C'mon man, greatest city on earth, yes. I grew up on LI so you dont have to sell me on how great it is.  I just realized that I would rather visit LI and live in FL than the other way around.  There is a very good reason why people how move to FL dont ever move back or if they do they dont stay back(like me).  St.Pete has the world class beaches, watch travel channel when they have teh top ten beaches, i think the St.Pete area had 5 of them.  I have been to Jones beach, Point Lookout, etc and they dont hold a candle to any beach I have been to in FL unless there is a concert going on. 

My $0.02

Jones Beach- Field 2. All class like the New York Giants.

Not in Emerson, better than that, 3 stories, 2015 4 Series.  I have a beach house in Maine too.

Impressed now?

SAR I

LOL

Not really

Just don't know what you get  out of dong this.

BTW I've got an old motorcycle worth more then your 4 series 

Nice guy from everything I hear. At time of him leaving, Per some in press he left because he was never a fan of Rex's loose attitude and wanted a more 'serious' (Steelers) organization.

LOVE Cotch. I was heart broken when he left. My daughter is NC State alum as is Cotch.

I bought her HIS jersey.

My $0.02

I don't go to Nassau County beaches. I'm talking about Fire Island, the Hamptons, Hither Hills. Beautiful, clean, white sand beaches. Biggest problem here is that the season really only runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day. A week or two after the kids are in school -maybe- and then it's done.

I understand the allure of Florida, but it's not for me. Maybe the Keys 30 years ago might've worked, but that's it. I'd rather keep heading south, and hang with a culture I find more appealing.

I don't go to Nassau County beaches. I'm talking about Fire Island, the Hamptons, Hither Hills. Beautiful, clean, white sand beaches. Biggest problem here is that the season really only runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day. A week or two after the kids are in school -maybe- and then it's done.

I understand the allure of Florida, but it's not for me. Maybe the Keys 30 years ago might've worked, but that's it. I'd rather keep heading south, and hang with a culture I find more appealing.

Florida is great in the winter months.

Been to Miami in August. Brutal.

Wow, do I pay a premium for living so close to Manhattan or what?  I'd take it but it's too far for the commute.

This feels almost as good as when I was flying in business class and Air Supply was flying coach.  They were what I aspired to be when I was younger, so handsome, so talented, so famous, yet they were back there and I was up front. 

SAR I

Just imagine, if you could actually live in Manhattan 

The biggest problem with the beaches up north in general is the water is too freaking cold.

Week or two after?  I think September is the best month.  The water is actually warmer and there are less annoying people.  Seems like the Hamptons lost a bit of the annoying beach people charm with all the Jersey Shore nonsense.  As far as I can tell, Neptune's, Summers and Hot Dog are all gone now.  Guess with Allan's Acres becoming (coming soon!) condos, there was no place for the annoyings to stay.

Living in NC, we have access to some awesome beaches.  Isle of Palms, Wrightsville, etc.  Different from NY, we plan beach trips as we cant go for the day, as its 3 hours away.    Heck, I would go a lot as a kid to Robert Moses. Realistically, how often does a typical NY guy go to the beach with family, work etc...

I have adjusted to the 2-3 times a year I make a trek to the beach. We rent a house, condo etc and its all on for 3 days or up to a week. 

The whole culture thing in NY is over rated for me now.    I get it, I love NYC but if your not making 300K plus and living in Manhattan, living in NY can be a chore for many.

Living in NC, we have access to some awesome beaches.  Isle of Palms, Wrightsville, etc.  Different from NY, we plan beach trips as we cant go for the day, as its 3 hours away.    Heck, I would go a lot as a kid to Robert Moses. Realistically, how often does a typical NY guy go to the beach with family, work etc...

I have adjusted to the 2-3 times a year I make a trek to the beach. We rent a house, condo etc and its all on for 3 days or up to a week. 

The whole culture thing in NY is over rated for me now.    I get it, I love NYC but if your not making 300K plus and living in Manhattan, living in NY can be a chore for many.

NYC being nearby fills a lot of gaps.

Saturday, my wife and I had no plans - looking for something to do.

Got in the car, drove 40 minutes from Jersey to Soho where I parked on the street for free - no traffic coming in.

Walked around awhile and hopped on the R train up to Union Square.

Had a great lunch at Max Brenner's with an awesome chocolate dessert - out of there for $65

Walked around Union Square for awhile to look at all the freaks.

Hopped back on the subway, in the car, back home by 4 to watch the Knicks Summer League in Vegas.

Turned a boring day into a really good one.

I wouldn't be able to abandon that option to be able to bolt into the city whenever I want.  There is always something to do or going on there.

BTW, for you Knicks fans out there, Porzingis looked good. Could be the real deal.

I really don't think it's possible to overrate the culture in NYC. I'm sure other big cities are similar, but the number of things to do here is endless. In the past month I've been to a street art auction, a vegan booze festival, a TV talk show taping, a Broadway show, a brand new modern art museum - all inexpensively (or free!), and I don't even live in the city.

As for the beach, I have a share in a house on Fire Island and, as a shift worker, get days off during the week to make the trip to Moses. I get to the beach quite a bit. Even in the offseason, I still come out, take the walk to the lighthouse.

I'm not selling anyone else on it. Like I said, I'm outta here when I retire! But while I'm here, I take full advantage of what the area has to offer - and it's a lot. And you can do it on a lot less than SAR money, too.

Archived