Around the NFL - Pain Rankings

jamesr

Around the NFL is looking at the most miserable franchises to root for (Pain Rankings, rather than Power Rankings).

Having covered KC, Cincy, Minny and Detroit in #7 - #4, there are three teams left. I'm pretty sure the Jets will be in there, and that Cleveland and Buffalo join them. Not quite sure how it'll shake out, but I'm guessing Jets #3, Bills #2, Browns #1.

Would love to see what others here think. Any other teams you'd consider in the 'top' 3? Anyone reckoning the Jets will rank #1?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501709/article/around-the-nfls-pain-rankings

Around the NFL is looking at the most miserable franchises to root for (Pain Rankings, rather than Power Rankings).

Having covered KC, Cincy, Minny and Detroit in #7 - #4, there are three teams left. I'm pretty sure the Jets will be in there, and that Cleveland and Buffalo join them. Not quite sure how it'll shake out, but I'm guessing Jets #3, Bills #2, Browns #1.

Would love to see what others here think. Any other teams you'd consider in the 'top' 3? Anyone reckoning the Jets will rank #1?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501709/article/around-the-nfls-pain-rankings

No way we are worse of than the Jags, Browns, Bills, or Raiders

No way we are worse of than the Jags, Browns, Bills, or Raiders

It is clear you have not read the pain rankings series. I suggest you do so, they are good reads. It has nothing to do with being worse than other teams but rather the relative pain that the fans have suffered throughout franchise history.

The Raiders have had many days in the sun and been on the winning end of as many crazy games as they were on the bitter side. Holy roller, Sea of hands, and Heidi vs. Tuck rule and Immaculate reception. They do not get to complain in my book.

The Jaguars barely have a fan base and haven't been around long enough to register in this series.

The Browns, well, they have a strong case to be #1.

I figure the last 3 are Jets, Bills, and Browns. The order is subjective.

It is clear you have not read the pain rankings series. I suggest you do so, they are good reads. It has nothing to do with being worse than other teams but rather the relative pain that the fans have suffered throughout franchise history.

The Raiders have had many days in the sun and been on the winning end of as many crazy games as they were on the bitter side. Holy roller, Sea of hands, and Heidi vs. Tuck rule and Immaculate reception. They do not get to complain in my book.

The Jaguars barely have a fan base and haven't been around long enough to register in this series.

The Browns, well, they have a strong case to be #1.

I figure the last 3 are Jets, Bills, and Browns. The order is subjective.

I stand by my opinion. The raiders have been a joke for at least the last decade, making one buffoonish draft pick or contract signing after another.

I stand by my opinion. The raiders have been a joke for at least the last decade, making one buffoonish draft pick or contract signing after another.

15 division titles and 3 Super Bowl wins out of 4 appearances. Many fans would trade a lousy decade for that in a heartbeat.

Tell me about your pain, homos.

Well first of all I'm not sure how Detroit is less "painful" as Jets or Bills. Unless they're saying the closer you get the worse it is, but then that would make Minn and Buffalo like, 1 and 2 one would think, no? These damned rankings.

From 1997 to 2011 the New York Jets averaged 9.5 wins per year when we had a healthy quarterback.

And Rex Ryan ruined the best one of the bunch.

SAR I

Sanchez was never a franchise QB. Jets management could have supported him by giving him better weapons and drafting offensive playmakers but he had his chance.

Its a unique torture IMO being a Jets-Mets fan, we have something working against us these other fans don't have. If your in Cleveland for instance and the Browns or the Indians rip your heart out? well everyones in it together , you all kindve grieve and recover together. In our case its not bad enough that we get tortured but every time we blink we are watching the Yankees or Giants parading down the Canyon Of Heroes…we get it from both ends..a horrible existence .

Well first of all I'm not sure how Detroit is less "painful" as Jets or Bills. Unless they're saying the closer you get the worse it is, but then that would make Minn and Buffalo like, 1 and 2 one would think, no? These damned rankings.

I lived in Michigan for 10 years, including the

0-16 season. They really like the Lions but keep a safe level of emotional distance. They are so used to losing, that the fans are kinda numb to the Lions' failures. They can shake off a tough loss much easier and quicker than the others on this list. Therefore, their ranking is correct in my opinion.

I lived in Michigan for 10 years, including the

0-16 season. They really like the Lions but keep a safe level of emotional distance. They are so used to losing, that the fans are kinda numb to the Lions' failures. They can shake off a tough loss much easier and quicker than the others on this list. Therefore, their ranking is correct in my opinion.

I was at the Jet-Lions game in Detroit in 2010.  The game where we came back from 10 down in the last 4 minutes to force a tie and win in OT.  Definitely saw that mentality from the Lions fans.  They seemed to be conditioned to losing.  Some of the Lion fans left early -- mid 4th quarter.  Said they knew the Lions would blow it and didn't want to be there to see it.  Other left at the beginning of OT expecting they would lose.

We may have it rough as Jet fans at times, but we have never learned to accept losing.

I was at the Jet-Lions game in Detroit in 2010.  The game where we came back from 10 down in the last 4 minutes to force a tie and win in OT.  Definitely saw that mentality from the Lions fans.  They seemed to be conditioned to losing.  Some of the Lion fans left early -- mid 4th quarter.  Said they knew the Lions would blow it and didn't want to be there to see it.  Other left at the beginning of OT expecting they would lose.

We may have it rough as Jet fans at times, but we have never learned to accept losing.

The Monday night miracle game had some fans running back in from the parking lot..LOL

And before that they had multiple SB titles and the highest winning percentage in the NFL. Hardly an all time pain indicator

The Jets fans have endured the WORST kind of pain & that's because the Jets tease you into believing something great is going to happen, even though deep down in the recesses of your mind you know your wrong.

Mud bowl, Roughing the passer in Cleveland, Byers dropping balls in Denver than a kickoff that gets blown backwards by the wind & gets recovered by the Broncos, Martin fumble leads to Vinnie tearing his Achilles, Missed FGs in Pittsburgh, No show defense in Pittsburgh after an absolute stellar win in Gillette.

Just good enough to get you to believe in them.

But we're not the only ones. The Chargers have been on the other end of our highlights. Losing to the Jets in excruciating fashion in the playoffs, but the difference is how many fans do the Chargers actually have?

I've always been proud to be a Jet fan & the closest similarity of pain would be the Red Sox before they broke through again. They went a long f*cking time between Championships, but still had a lot of fans.

1968 is a really long time ago, especially in football when you only play 8 home games & the seasons that you long for are so damn short. Geno will either surprise the hell out of us or put us in a hole that Fitzy can't dig us out from but I'm sure we're in for another wild NY Jets ride.

J-E-T-S......JETS JETS JETS!

Complete bullsh*t. I, for one, am DAMN PROUD to be a fan of this team and organization and don't feel ANY pain whatsoever in being such.

What you call pain, I call opportunity to improve. The Jets are just like 31 other teams in the league. Only one team wins the Super Bowl each year - does that make every other team a bad organization? The Jets don't have it any better or worse than the other teams on this list.

Excited for FSU_Jet's take.

Complete bullsh*t. I, for one, am DAMN PROUD to be a fan of this team and organization and don't feel ANY pain whatsoever in being such.

What you call pain, I call opportunity to improve. The Jets are just like 31 other teams in the league. Only one team wins the Super Bowl each year - does that make every other team a bad organization? The Jets don't have it any better or worse than the other teams on this list.

And ya didn't disappoint.

Hey, calm down.  This is an off season thread to have some fun with.  Besides I think our Jets have a legit claim on that elusive #1 spot on the list. :)

I would put Cleveland and Detroit as 1 and 2 since NEITHER has EVER reached the Super Bowl. The Jets haven't been there in a long a$$ time, but we do have one Lombardi Trophy. The Bills would be number 3 with the Jets 4th. Pain is part of what it is to be a Jets fan. The refs don't respect us and we get the most God awful calls you can imagine - usually at the WORST possible time - but maybe with ref-baiter Rex gone it will get better. I never saw a HC with less knowledge of the challenge rules than Rex. And he ALWAYS slammed his clipboard down - even when he was wrong, which was MOST of the time.

Easily the Browns IMO....one of the best fan bases in the NFL watches their team leave for another city only to win a super bowl elsewhere while importing the crap they've had to watch since coming back into the league.  That's just brutal.

Just for a comparison on pain..... I've been a Jets fan for over 20 years and a Portland Trail Blazer fan for more than 30. There is no comparison to being a large market bad team and a miniscule market decent team. Woody could poor Nepalm and coal oil over my dreams of a SB and I would still have SOME belief. Being a Blazer fan is like having your teeth pulled out sideways EVERY DAY with a pair of rusty pliars knowing no free agent worth a F---k will EVER COME HERE!

Just for a comparison on pain..... I've been a Jets fan for over 20 years and a Portland Trail Blazer fan for more than 30. There is no comparison to being a large market bad team and a miniscule market decent team. Woody could poor Nepalm and coal oil over my dreams of a SB and I would still have SOME belief. Being a Blazer fan is like having your teeth pulled out sideways EVERY DAY with a pair of rusty pliars knowing no free agent worth a F---k will EVER COME HERE!

Why don't you join the rest of Portland and follow the Timbers. They provide a better product.

Why don't you join the rest of Portland and follow the Timbers. They provide a better product.

Different sport, same problem...... my only hope is that pro athletics becomes popular with the same segment of our society that loves organic food and hackey sack. Maybe Portland might have an overnight championship basketball team that smells like pachouli oil?

Archived