Cromarty injury blessing in disguise?

Jetster

First I never want to see injuries & I hope Cro isn't hurt badly but he had been getting burnt by our backup receivers all training camp.

On a 3rd & 19 he actually went for a short move by the WR? This is Exactly what people said would happen when he lost his athletic ability & suddenness. Cro wasn't known for his smarts or his technique. You have to know the situation, down & distance. 

If Cro is down it opens a roster spot & also let's Williams get more playing time. Cro wasn't getting better, he was getting worse. Let's hope he can come back this year as depth, but I honestly believe the younger guys are better players right now. Saves Bowles from having to bench a veteran.

That play was on the safety.....He was supposed to have support over the top - he was covering the short route...Safety got there way too late.  

With that said, Marcus Williams looks like the real deal.  Very, very impressed with him so far.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If cut after this year:  Dead money = $0 and Cap savings = $8 mill.  Of course we will pay him for this year, he supposed to play this year.  There is no $16 mill towards 2016, he's only scheduled to make $8.  He signed a 1 year deal last year.  Numbers below are for the 2016 jets salary cap amounts currently allotted and in pink is what will happen if he's cut.  The left column is dead money and the right column in pink is the savings.  You can see bside his name how much he is scheduled to make in 2016...his contract is a series of 1 year deals with a jet option for every year, except year 1...

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Antonio Cromartie $8,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $8,000,000   $0 $8,000,000

Again, you're looking at this as thought he NFL employed a hard salary cap, which it does not. I thought I explained it pretty well but maybe I didn't.

Next year the Jets would have more than $8M freed up if Cromartie was not signed. The $8M he's due under this current contract PLUS the $7M he's getting this year (I miswrote it as $8M for this year). Regardless, that is a $15M total.

Every dollar we didn't spend on Cromartie (or his replacement on the 2015 roster) would have been available to spend on others in 2016. Money that is unused this year can be carried over to next year. That's the way the salary cap works. That's why we had so much to spend this year, and why so many people were up in arms over bringing in Percy Harvin for some $7M after we were already all but mathematically eliminated. Because we would have had an additional $7M to spend in 2015 had Harvin not been brought in. Same with Cro.

Relax with this sh*t.

If Marcus Williams is better than Cro, then it would have ultimately shown through and the coaching staff would have adjusted to it. No need to celebrate the injury as good fortune, because it implies the coaching staff would be like Rex's crew with the biased lineup decisions.

Bowles had him with the Cards if he didn't want him Mac wouldn't have got him..

No, my point was that the injury shouldn't be celebrated, because it's a scum bag thing to do. I didn't spell that out, it was implicit, which is probably why you missed it and instead chose to flounder about with this other nonsense. 

I never said Cromartie earned his starting role by outplaying other during the summer. Earlier in the thread, I agreed with your points on that specifically. However, when I made my initial comment, I wasn't talking about earning jobs during the summer... I said ultimately, which implies which specifically means "over the course" of time, or "in the end", the best player would play. Nothing about that initial statement suggests that Bowles didn't give Cro the #2 CB job for any reason other than that's what they hired him to be. What my statement does infer, and what I've been busting your balls about because I think the exception you've taken with my statement is genuinely stupid, is that I have confidence in Bowles playing the best players as the season rolls on.

So, I say again, you are having a 1-man argument with yourself about the things you misinterpreted in my post. 

I suggest you re-read your own post.

You didn't say finding a silver lining in the injury is bad because of it being a scumbag attitude. You said it is bad because it would mean Bowles was biased in anointing Cromartie to be the starter in a way you envisioned Rex doing.

"No need to celebrate the injury as good fortune, because it implies the coaching staff would be like Rex's crew with the biased lineup decisions."

It is quite clear what you wrote. If you meant something else, and had you written something else (what you're now saying you meant), I would have had no comment other than agreement.

The OP - to me - was merely postulating that the injury could save Bowles from himself, in so many words. Not that it was good to have a player injured.

So not only are you changing what you wrote, you're also now effectively rewriting what his post alluded to in the first place. Geez, the opening line of the thread begins, "First I never want to see injuries & I hope Cro isn't hurt badly," and you now say you really meant to allude the OP is scumbag for wanting to see injuries and hoping Cro is hurt badly (i.e. celebrating Cro's injury), which is a pretty cold way of rewriting his words so you could act the part of his moral superior.

Lol. Nice.

If cut after this year:  Dead money = $0 and Cap savings = $8 mill.  Of course we will pay him for this year, he supposed to play this year.  There is no $16 mill towards 2016, he's only scheduled to make $8.  He signed a 1 year deal last year.  Numbers below are for the 2016 jets salary cap amounts currently allotted and in pink is what will happen if he's cut.  The left column is dead money and the right column in pink is the savings.  You can see bside his name how much he is scheduled to make in 2016...his contract is a series of 1 year deals with a jet option for every year, except year 1...

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Antonio Cromartie $8,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $8,000,000   $0 $8,000,000

Lucky for you guys that the deal/team option is structured in a way that does not leave any dead money.  In contrast, Patriots are carrying a $5 million cap hit for Revis this season. 

I suggest you re-read your own post.

You didn't say finding a silver lining in the injury is bad because of it being a scumbag attitude. You said it is bad because it would mean Bowles was biased in anointing Cromartie to be the starter in a way you envisioned Rex doing.

"No need to celebrate the injury as good fortune, because it implies the coaching staff would be like Rex's crew with the biased lineup decisions."

It is quite clear what you wrote. If you meant something else, and had you written something else (what you're now saying you meant), I would have had no comment other than agreement.

The OP - to me - was merely postulating that the injury could save Bowles from himself, in so many words. Not that it was good to have a player injured.

So not only are you changing what you wrote, you're also now effectively rewriting what his post alluded to in the first place. Geez, the opening line of the thread begins, "First I never want to see injuries & I hope Cro isn't hurt badly," and you now say you really meant to allude the OP is scumbag for wanting to see injuries and hoping Cro is hurt badly (i.e. celebrating Cro's injury).

lol. Nice.

So, you can reach to infer all of that from the OP, but you couldn't infer that I was shaming anyone (not just the OP, but respondents too) that would cheer an injury?

And you couldn't infer that when I said "ultimately", it literally meant "in the end"? Even though that word, which I used very intentionally because it is forward-looking, makes my sentence mean something entirely different from what you are saying I said. I love that you left the "ultimately" part of my quote out here, when you're basically making the point that I should have been more literal

I get that you like to go for the "Ape changes his tune when called out" troll. Just doesn't apply here. I said what I meant, and meant what I said. I figured you were being stupid on purpose, for the troll, which is why I was dismissive at first. You can run with that as an opt-out now, if you want.

Relax with this sh*t.

If Marcus Williams is better than Cro, then it would have ultimately shown through and the coaching staff would have adjusted to it. No need to celebrate the injury as good fortune, because it implies the coaching staff would be like Rex's crew with the biased lineup decisions.

Exactly right. Marcus will do what he does in place of Cro, but when healthy Cro will be back in there. If it IS an MCL or ACL tear then he's done for the season in all probability. I still feel the Jets are ok with Williams filling in. But, no injury is a "blessing in disguise"

I read it as it MIGHT be a blessing, not that it is. As in it MIGHT be a blessing IF Bowles was going to keep Cromartie in the starting lineup no matter what (even if he deserved to be demoted or someone else deserved to be promoted). That he might be somewhat blinded or unduly influenced by circumstance rather than a pure, on-paper/on-field decision of who is the next best outside corner on the team after Revis

It IS absolutely possible - maybe even probable - that literally everyone else (who might have otherwise started in Cro's place) was worse. But it is not known. And Williams having an excellent game seems to have clouded that certainty for some. 

Since he didn't have a killer summer, at best Cro was handed the job and merely didn't lose it (like pre-punch Geno, and some others). At worst, no one else was given a serious look to supplant him. Or that the only ones initially given a serious look were Milliner or McDougle. 

Totally agree with you that this is just the Browns, and particularly since we're paying him either way and there isn't exactly a wealth of cheap current FA corners floating around, I definitely prefer having Cro than not having him.

I didn't interpret it as thank goodness Cro is injured because he's worse than the next guy up that will now replace him as the team's 5th corner; that the overall roster is better without Cromartie. I still don't think that's what was meant. 

Thank you. Now that the reports are out that his MRI came back as a sprain, I'm happy for him. Hopefully he just becomes part of our depth because from what I'm seeing from camp until now is a guy collecting a nice pay check that isn't nearly commensurate with his play on the field. I think we should have used his money to get a TE in here, maybe Clay who was available. 

But, I meant what I said & hopefully he slides back to a 3rd/4th CB where he belongs & find him more useful as a game to game matchup CB. To say outright he deserves to be #2 behind Revis at this stage in his career, I say HOGWASH.

Exactly right. Marcus will do what he does in place of Cro, but when healthy Cro will be back in there. If it IS an MCL or ACL tear then he's done for the season in all probability. I still feel the Jets are ok with Williams filling in. But, no injury (outside of QB in TC) is a "blessing in disguise"

fixed

Thank you. Now that the reports are out that his MRI came back as a sprain, I'm happy for him. Hopefully he just becomes part of our depth because from what I'm seeing from camp until now is a guy collecting a nice pay check that isn't nearly commensurate with his play on the field. I think we should have used his money to get a TE in here, maybe Clay who was available. 

But, I meant what I said & hopefully he slides back to a 3rd/4th CB where he belongs & find him more useful as a game to game matchup CB. To say outright he deserves to be #2 behind Revis at this stage in his career, I say HOGWASH.

It was obvious that's what you meant since you spelled it all out. That a mild injury would force Bowles to consider someone he wouldn't while Cro was healthy, and then get Cro back as top notch (even if way overpriced) depth after his starting job went to someone else. That you weren't rooting for an injury but the effect of an injury could lead to the best results and save Bowles from himself. 

I responded because I thought the attack(s) on you were unwarranted; suggesting you were gleeful ("celebrating") over a potentially serious injury to Cromartie. There are few things in this world that some people love so much as showing (really, trying) to morally show up another person. I know; I've done it plenty myself in the past lol. 

Mostly agree with you on Cro. At the same time I can understand not paying big bucks for a FA TE. They had Amaro who was coming off a decent rookie season after being a high pick and a tremendously productive senior season. Couldn't know he was going to miss the whole season with an injury. I could handle Cumberland starting in spot duty for a random game in that case. Didn't know he'd be the #1 TE on the depth chart all season long. And in March, I doubt Mac or Bowles figured that either. 

It was obvious that's what you meant since you spelled it all out. That a mild injury would force Bowles to consider someone he wouldn't while Cro was healthy, and then get Cro back as top notch (even if way overpriced) depth after his starting job went to someone else. That you weren't rooting for an injury but the effect of an injury could lead to the best results and save Bowles from himself. 

I responded because I thought the attack(s) on you were unwarranted; suggesting you were gleeful ("celebrating") over a potentially serious injury to Cromartie. There are few things in this world that some people love so much as showing (really, trying) to morally show up another person. I know; I've done it plenty myself in the past lol. 

Mostly agree with you on Cro. At the same time I can understand not paying big bucks for a FA TE. They had Amaro who was coming off a decent rookie season after being a high pick and a tremendously productive senior season. Couldn't know he was going to miss the whole season with an injury. I could handle Cumberland starting in spot duty for a random game in that case. Didn't know he'd be the #1 TE on the depth chart all season long. And in March, I doubt Mac or Bowles figured that either. 

If what you responded for was to discourage the notion that he was cheering an injury, then you should have written that. Instead, you chose to bicker how I could 'know' Bowles wouldn't play favorites, and then the semantics of know vs. believe, and then running away from me saying 'ultimately'.

You did make your way around to being the champion of the original poster, until you lost the other arguments you made.

in other words, you changed your tune after getting called out for being wrong. Welcome to Apehood.

If what you responded for was to discourage the notion that he was cheering an injury, then you should have written that. Instead, you chose to bicker how I could 'know' Bowles wouldn't play favorites, and then the semantics of know vs. believe, and then running away from me saying 'ultimately'.

You did make your way around to being the champion of the original poster, until you lost the other arguments you made.

in other words, you changed your tune after getting called out for being wrong. Welcome to Apehood.

No, that is you rewording my post. I responded because I thought the attacks were unwarranted. The subject or content of my posts is not limited to any motivation. I did not allege or even infer that my goal was to discourage the notion he was cheering an injury, which he clearly was not (and said as much). The undeserved lashing out at the OP is merely what drew me in. I do not owe it to you to therefore limit my discussion to what motivated me.

Your post clearly alluded to some fantasy that Marcus Williams couldn't possibly have shown he was better than Cro this summer despite Cro having a pretty bad summer from all reporting and live play. Your reasoning was that this was not possible is because Cro was starting, and that you have decided that Bowles would never start someone based on preconceived notions, comfort levels, past history, or whatever else one might classify as "biased lineup decisions" when in fact all HC's do it.

You have therefore described a fantasy world where Todd Bowles is the ultimate meritocracy head coach despite there being zero such evidence. He is clearly biased by his past dealings with players, player contracts, theoretical upside, and any other things (other than current performance) that influence all head coaches in their decisions. 

No, that is you rewording my post. I responded because I thought the attacks were unwarranted. The subject or content of my posts is not limited to any motivation. I did not allege or even infer that my goal was to discourage the notion he was cheering an injury, which he clearly was not (and said as much). The undeserved lashing out at the OP is merely what drew me in. I do not owe it to you to therefore limit my discussion to what motivated me.

Your post clearly alluded to some fantasy that Marcus Williams couldn't possibly have shown he was better than Cro this summer despite Cro having a pretty bad summer from all reporting and live play. Your reasoning was that this was not possible is because Cro was starting, and that you have decided that Bowles would never start someone based on preconceived notions, comfort levels, past history, or whatever else one might classify as "biased lineup decisions" when in fact all HC's do it.

You have therefore described a fantasy world where Todd Bowles is the ultimate meritocracy head coach despite there being zero such evidence. He is clearly biased by his past dealings with players, player contracts, theoretical upside, and any other things (other than current performance) that influence all head coaches in their decisions. 

A for effort. 

I didn't even read this one. LOL

Yes it's absolutely a blessing in disguise.  This was one of the only moves I didn't like over the offseason and it is one of the biggest weaknesses of the Jets defense (not that they have many).  They have plenty of depth without Cromartie.  I don't like anyone injured but this opens the door to get others with more talent on the field.  Marcus Williams looks much better than Cromartie so far.  I would also get Maudlin in there when he gets healthy and get Calvin Pace out.  He looked clueless and sluggish in the opener.  

Ah, the defense of, after a big "Nuh-uh!" you stick your fingers in your ears and repeatedly yell, "LALALALALALALA!" 

I guess you need some way out. The fun part is where we're all expected to know what you REALLY meant/inferred by that response.

Just like how we're expected to know that you REALLY meant "don't attack the guy over celebrating an injury, because that's not what he was doing", when what you did was argue over the semantics of knowing vs. believing, while demonstrating for the group that you don't know what the word "ultimately" means.

The only thing interesting about this back-and-forth to me at this point, is whether you were setting up the double-standard from the beginning, or if you'll have the humility to admit you fumbled into it and are doing exactly what you were trying to accuse me of.

LOL at the assertion that I "need a way out". I'm the ******* Rocky Balboa of this sh*t. 

Just like how we're expected to know that you REALLY meant "don't attack the guy over celebrating an injury, because that's not what he was doing", when what you did was argue over the semantics of knowing vs. believing, while demonstrating for the group that you don't know what the word "ultimately" means.

The only thing interesting about this back-and-forth to me at this point, is whether you were setting up the double-standard from the beginning, or if you'll have the humility to admit you fumbled into it and are doing exactly what you were trying to accuse me of.

LOL at the assertion that I "need a way out". I'm the ******* Rocky Balboa of this sh*t. 

Fumbled into what? I'm not changing anything I said into, "Well, I WROTE this one thing but you should know what I REALLY meant was something different, and that what I DID write is NOT something I'm now claiming."

That's your repeated shtick, not mine.

Archived