Cromarty injury blessing in disguise?

Jetster

Relax with this sh*t.

If Marcus Williams is better than Cro, then it would have ultimately shown through and the coaching staff would have adjusted to it. No need to celebrate the injury as good fortune, because it implies the coaching staff would be like Rex's crew with the biased lineup decisions.

was just thinking it's funny how we haven't seen any Rex sucks threads today. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree Cro has been shaky since coming back ... Also agree though with the poster in (I believe) the gameday thread ... That particular play looked like the safety Jarrett's mistake on the TD

it was both of them. Jarrett had the over the top responsibility, in which he was late, but cro bit hard on the in route

First I never want to see injuries & I hope Cro isn't hurt badly but he had been getting burnt by our backup receivers all training camp.

On a 3rd & 19 he actually went for a short move by the WR? This is Exactly what people said would happen when he lost his athletic ability & suddenness. Cro wasn't known for his smarts or his technique. You have to know the situation, down & distance. 

If Cro is down it opens a roster spot & also let's Williams get more playing time. Cro wasn't getting better, he was getting worse. Let's hope he can come back this year as depth, but I honestly believe the younger guys are better players right now. Saves Bowles from having to bench a veteran.

Let's not celebrate his injury, just like Integrity said.

Cromartie will not be on this football team next year. He's been susceptible to the double move his entire career not sure why this case today was any different. Marcus Williams is a better all around football player and is on a big up swing but Cro's ridiculous salary forces the Jets to start him. He did good in Arizona because that team had a very fast defense that always put pressure on the QB which always helps out the corners ...the Jets are just not that fast and may be playing a bit slow due to learning the scheme as well. They will speed up but they will never be as fast as the Cardinals. Pass Rushers and speed will be a big focus next year . Reily looks good. 

First I never want to see injuries & I hope Cro isn't hurt badly but he had been getting burnt by our backup receivers all training camp.

On a 3rd & 19 he actually went for a short move by the WR? This is Exactly what people said would happen when he lost his athletic ability & suddenness. Cro wasn't known for his smarts or his technique. You have to know the situation, down & distance. 

If Cro is down it opens a roster spot & also let's Williams get more playing time. Cro wasn't getting better, he was getting worse. Let's hope he can come back this year as depth, but I honestly believe the younger guys are better players right now. Saves Bowles from having to bench a veteran.

based on it being an injury I wouldnt call it a "blessing", however in the "Game ball" thread I stated that Marcus Williams should get the game ball because he came in and shut that area down. He did look better than Cro. 

And our depth is crazy. McDougle wasnt even active today and Milliner will be back in a few weeks. 

I don't think an injury can ever be disguised a blessing, I am sure we all want Cro to be healthy, but there are times when it creates opportunity for the next guy up,  Brady got his chance that way but I don't think Williams needed this to shine...

Marcus Williams is a great example of why the NFL needs larger rosters, or a development league, this is a kid that got a chance due to the dismal state of the Jets last year and has really developed as a player over the last year, he earned a spot in camp this year without question 

Cro always had a nose for the ball, he recovered the fumble and plays up to his competition, he may have underestimated the Browns WR (and Johnny's arm)  but I am not ready to write him off, let hope he is back this year  

Let's not celebrate his injury, just like Integrity said.

I'm not celebrating, it's just a fact he got hurt (happens every week in this league) and Marcus Williams came in & balled out. Cromarty has looked like he's lost all of his suddenness. Even his pick vs Eli looked like it was in slow motion, just a horribly late throw from Eli. We won by 21 points. A lot of people wouldn't be defending Cro if he blows a cover & we lose by 4 points. We need the younger guys speed vs Luck.

I can't stand watching cro. IMO, he's overrated. The double moves he watches go by is getting painful to watch. I don't like seeing a guy injured, but I'd rather see someone else out there. 

I believe, at some point before week 5ish, mcdougal will be the starter. I really really like what I see from him whenever he is on the field. I guess the staff thinks otherwise cuz he wasn't even dressed yesterday! That doesn't change my opinion that he's gonna take the job over before too long.

OK. So you don't know. You believe.  

Ape does not believe in anything.

Cro has been treating this like a retirement job from the second he signed. He's given up on technique altogether and doesn't run the 4.3 to hide it anymore. The TD he gave up was some horrendous Aaron Beasley-type sh*t. Obviously, you never want to see a guy get hurt, but Cro going down saves Bowles and Macagnan the embarrassment that comes with having to bench a newly-overpaid yet washed-up vet.

I don't know what he has been like this year.  He's looked bad in the preseason and camp reports were bad, but this game kind of fit what has been going on with him since 2013.  He gives up too many big plays.  I thought they got Gilchrist to play over top of him  I don't think Rex and them sticking with Cromartie in 2013 was a sign of stubbornness or stupidity.  I remember reading the stats on him that year and he graded very low, but it was all on big play TDs.  He would play a huge portion of the game at a very high level and then give up some monumental plays.  I thought that is why Idzik wanted him gone.  Bowles/Rodgers play a ton more with the CBs facing the ball and they will certainly get more picks.  I don't think that suits Cro at all.  Williams seems pretty good at it.  I was surprised that Williams was the next man up.  I watched in a bar and missed some.  Did they kick Skrine outside?  Did they want to match up smaller? 

I don't understand why they got Cro back, but I am glad that he is not guaranteed past this year.  Let him return kicks. 

Cromartie will not be on this football team next year. He's been susceptible to the double move his entire career not sure why this case today was any different. Marcus Williams is a better all around football player and is on a big up swing but Cro's ridiculous salary forces the Jets to start him. He did good in Arizona because that team had a very fast defense that always put pressure on the QB which always helps out the corners ...the Jets are just not that fast and may be playing a bit slow due to learning the scheme as well. They will speed up but they will never be as fast as the Cardinals. Pass Rushers and speed will be a big focus next year . Reily looks good. 

This reflects my own opinion.  Even the first time around with us Cromartie was only good when receivers did not change direction and much of that was washed away when the refs started calling defensive PI differently.  Cro was a liability.  From training camp reports this year and limited preseason optics he sounded and looked like he was a couple of large steps down from his previous performance level.

Not sure if Williams is it or if someone else gets the gig but Antonio was not showing us anything this year which made me think we were not losing a lot by having him be gone.

At least you got the point. Sperm is having a 1-man argument, typically about what he says he thinks I said, rather than anything that matters...

Oh, please. What a load of nonsense. 

Your point was that his injury should not be celebrated because you refuse to believe the possibility that Bowles did something you view as solely Rex-like. That he simply anointed his own previously-coached, hand-picked, high-priced FA as starter, and kept him in that role despite obvious poor play since getting anointed. 

That is your fantasy. The reality is that in his first summer as a HC, Bowles has had purely biased lineup decisions, and anyone can see that.My response is not that this is automatically a bad thing: that he could be right with some/all of these but he could be wrong with some of them, Cromartie included.

It is naive to think Cromartie purely earned his starting role by outplaying all others this summer.

If a big name player was going to go down, CB was the position we could absorb the loss the easiest.

Yep.  Sometimes it isn't just avoiding injuries, but having them happen at places where they won't hurt you.  This year, they lost a DL to suspension - strength of the team/drafted another one, CB to injury - signed three/had two coming back from injury, and a QB to non-football injury - back-up no drop off from starter.  Things are getting a bit tighter in the depth department, but so far there isn't going to be a huge drop off from these losses.

An injury a blessing in disguise?  I never consider losing depth at any position a good thing.  Cro showed during the Giants #3 preseason game he still has a lot left in the tank, ask Eli.  I'd rather have him than not have him...this is also a bad time for Milliner to be hurt (but at least he's coming back).  Glad we have Williams and McDougle until Milliner and hopefully Cro return.   

Relax with this sh*t.

If Marcus Williams is better than Cro, then it would have ultimately shown through and the coaching staff would have adjusted to it. No need to celebrate the injury as good fortune, because it implies the coaching staff would be like Rex's crew with the biased lineup decisions.

Except they gave him a ridiculous contact and would've looked dumb by benching/ cutting him after that. Still can't believe they gave him so much money, they were bidding against themselves. There was a reason he was pretty much the last corner to sign, besides K. Wilson, nobody wanted him.

Except they gave him a ridiculous contact and would've looked dumb by benching/ cutting him after that. Still can't believe they gave him so much money, they were bidding against themselves. There was a reason he was pretty much the last corner to sign, besides K. Wilson, nobody wanted him.

Who cares?  He's on essentially a 1 year deal with...if the Jets cut him after this season there is $0 dead money and $8 mill in cap saving...so as soon as he signed it was an obvious 1 year deal for a CB coming off his best year in years...pro bowl #1 CB type year, despite being targetted a ton playing opposite Peterson.

No one knows better than Bowles on Cro's value in this defense, and the jets were "reportedly" bidding against the Cowboys for Cro...I have a hard time believing any "fans" know Cro's worth more than Todd Bowles...

I'm not celebrating, it's just a fact he got hurt (happens every week in this league) and Marcus Williams came in & balled out. Cromarty has looked like he's lost all of his suddenness. Even his pick vs Eli looked like it was in slow motion, just a horribly late throw from Eli. We won by 21 points. A lot of people wouldn't be defending Cro if he blows a cover & we lose by 4 points. We need the younger guys speed vs Luck.

That TD was not on Cro. He was supposed to have safety help while he took the under route that's why he took the bait cuz he knew if he's got the deep ball covered. Turns out his help never got there. 

Spell his ******* name right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who cares?  He's on essentially a 1 year deal with...if the Jets cut him after this season there is $0 dead money and $8 mill in cap saving...so as soon as he signed it was an obvious 1 year deal for a CB coming off his best year in years...pro bowl #1 CB type year, despite being targetted a ton playing opposite Peterson.

No one knows better than Bowles on Cro's value in this defense, and the jets were "reportedly" bidding against the Cowboys for Cro...I have a hard time believing any "fans" know Cro's worth more than Todd Bowles...

He wasn't a #1 type CB last year. It's confusing that you list playing opposite Peterson, as though this was a disadvantage

Cromartie (who I like) made it - as an alternate - because of the timing of the Pro Bowl because Seattle beat Green Bay in OT to go to the Super Bowl, unless you believe Cro was better and more deserving than Richard Sherman. If Seattle was bounced out in the NFCCG, Cromartie suddenly isn't a pro bowl CB anymore and is therefore somehow worth less as a player for this season. 

Also, the NFL salary cap is fluid, not a series of hard, 1-year caps. Whatever Cromartie is paid this year, even if he's cut in February, it takes from next year. I don't think we're necessarily in bad shape in that regard, but had we not signed Cromartie, the $8M "savings" you speak of for 2016 would have been $16M. The $8M is still a loss, even if you choose to mentally say, "Oh, that was last year's cap so it doesn't count."

Lack of depth gonna hurt down road. Hopefully just a sprain, that's happened to me before. Was out about a month and was then able to be back at about 80%. with rehab and being younger than me, under that scenario he could be back mid-October close to full strength. Let's hope nothing torn.

He wasn't a #1 type CB last year. It's confusing that you list playing opposite Peterson, as though this was a disadvantage

Cromartie (who I like) made it - as an alternate - because of the timing of the Pro Bowl because Seattle beat Green Bay in OT to go to the Super Bowl, unless you believe Cro was better and more deserving than Richard Sherman. If Seattle was bounced out in the NFCCG, Cromartie suddenly isn't a pro bowl CB anymore and is therefore somehow worth less as a player for this season. 

Also, the NFL salary cap is fluid, not a series of hard, 1-year caps. Whatever Cromartie is paid this year, even if he's cut in February, it takes from next year. I don't think we're necessarily in bad shape in that regard, but had we not signed Cromartie, the $8M "savings" you speak of for 2016 would have been $16M. The $8M is still a loss, even if you choose to mentally say, "Oh, that was last year's cap so it doesn't count."

If cut after this year:  Dead money = $0 and Cap savings = $8 mill.  Of course we will pay him for this year, he supposed to play this year.  There is no $16 mill towards 2016, he's only scheduled to make $8.  He signed a 1 year deal last year.  Numbers below are for the 2016 jets salary cap amounts currently allotted and in pink is what will happen if he's cut.  The left column is dead money and the right column in pink is the savings.  You can see bside his name how much he is scheduled to make in 2016...his contract is a series of 1 year deals with a jet option for every year, except year 1...

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Antonio Cromartie $8,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $8,000,000   $0 $8,000,000

Jets fans are amazing sometimes from some of us literally cheering when Chad went down at home to thinking that a potentially serious injury to the number 2 CB going down is somehow a "blessing". 

Simple Cro getting hurt is not a good thing.  It is not a blessing   

And despite what any one on this board thinks they are not a better judge of defensive talent than last year's assistant coach of the year in Bowles.  And for the record there was not one article printed that indicates that Bowles plays favorites not one and just because people make such accusations in a thread doesn't make it so.

We we need our players healthy to win.  Simple. 

How is losing a decent corner a blessing? I like how Williams stepped up, but it's the browns, and the jets are going to need Cro, this sucks.

I think Williams stepping up had a lot to do with it being the Browns.  The Browns were running Hartline and a bunch of Smurfs out there.  Benjamin, Hawkins and Gabriel are all pretty teeny.  They may use a different matchup against the Colts.  We may end up seeing more of Walls.  They are only listed an inch apart, but Walls seems much longer to me.

Jets fans are amazing sometimes from some of us literally cheering when Chad went down at home to thinking that a potentially serious injury to the number 2 CB going down is somehow a "blessing". 

Simple Cro getting hurt is not a good thing.  It is not a blessing   

And despite what any one on this board thinks they are not a better judge of defensive talent than last year's assistant coach of the year in Bowles.  And for the record there was not one article printed that indicates that Bowles plays favorites not one and just because people make such accusations in a thread doesn't make it so.

We we need our players healthy to win.  Simple. 

Only lucky ass Patriots are blessed when players get hurt

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/video/2011/09/23/09000d5d8227f09b_video_cp.jpg

How is losing a decent corner a blessing? I like how Williams stepped up, but it's the browns, and the jets are going to need Cro, this sucks.

I read it as it MIGHT be a blessing, not that it is. As in it MIGHT be a blessing IF Bowles was going to keep Cromartie in the starting lineup no matter what (even if he deserved to be demoted or someone else deserved to be promoted). That he might be somewhat blinded or unduly influenced by circumstance rather than a pure, on-paper/on-field decision of who is the next best outside corner on the team after Revis

It IS absolutely possible - maybe even probable - that literally everyone else (who might have otherwise started in Cro's place) was worse. But it is not known. And Williams having an excellent game seems to have clouded that certainty for some. 

Since he didn't have a killer summer, at best Cro was handed the job and merely didn't lose it (like pre-punch Geno, and some others). At worst, no one else was given a serious look to supplant him. Or that the only ones initially given a serious look were Milliner or McDougle. 

Totally agree with you that this is just the Browns, and particularly since we're paying him either way and there isn't exactly a wealth of cheap current FA corners floating around, I definitely prefer having Cro than not having him.

I didn't interpret it as thank goodness Cro is injured because he's worse than the next guy up that will now replace him as the team's 5th corner; that the overall roster is better without Cromartie. I still don't think that's what was meant. 

Oh, please. What a load of nonsense. 

Your point was that his injury should not be celebrated because you refuse to believe the possibility that Bowles did something you view as solely Rex-like. That he simply anointed his own previously-coached, hand-picked, high-priced FA as starter, and kept him in that role despite obvious poor play since getting anointed. 

That is your fantasy. The reality is that in his first summer as a HC, Bowles has had purely biased lineup decisions, and anyone can see that.My response is not that this is automatically a bad thing: that he could be right with some/all of these but he could be wrong with some of them, Cromartie included.

It is naive to think Cromartie purely earned his starting role by outplaying all others this summer.

No, my point was that the injury shouldn't be celebrated, because it's a scum bag thing to do. I didn't spell that out, it was implicit, which is probably why you missed it and instead chose to flounder about with this other nonsense. 

I never said Cromartie earned his starting role by outplaying other during the summer. Earlier in the thread, I agreed with your points on that specifically. However, when I made my initial comment, I wasn't talking about earning jobs during the summer... I said ultimately, which implies which specifically means "over the course" of time, or "in the end", the best player would play. Nothing about that initial statement suggests that Bowles didn't give Cro the #2 CB job for any reason other than that's what they hired him to be. What my statement does infer, and what I've been busting your balls about because I think the exception you've taken with my statement is genuinely stupid, is that I have confidence in Bowles playing the best players as the season rolls on.

So, I say again, you are having a 1-man argument with yourself about the things you misinterpreted in my post. 

Archived