Cam Newton & NFL Network

Smashmouth

What precedent have I set for that?

Fitz isn't exactly a statistical dream come true, you don't see me complaining about him, and all he's done is helps us get to 5 wins. Cam has powered that team to 8 wins and an undefeated record. You have to look at it in context, he's doing what they need him to do to compensate for surrounding him with garbage. 

So, like I said, you could argue that he's having an MVP caliber season. What other QB, other than Brady, Dalton and Fitz, has put their team on their shoulders and taken them to their respective next levels? None are coming to mind for me, at the moment.

They've won 12 straight regular season games but I just dont get why people keep talking about them and their undefeated season led by their charismatic uber athletic monster of a man at QB.  Makes no sense. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cam has done quite a bit with very little.  Put it this way, are they 8-0 with Fitz?  And are we better than 5-3 with Cam here?  Plus he smiles while he's running with the ball. 

And gives the footballs to little kids after he runs them in for scores.  He used to be a little mopey but I think he's grown up a good bit. 

I agree with Smashmouth on this one, however it is not totally unique to Cam Newton.  All the of the 'expert' media go into full dumbass love mode over players and teams over a short period of time, and always act as if the thing they said 3 weeks ago was never said.  If the Jets beat the Bills this week they will be the darlings of the nfl media and the talking heads will be felating bowles and Fitzpatrick and anyone to do with the jets, the same team they laughed and made jokes about to start the season.

He is an MVP candidate because his team is 8-0 and they are nothing without him.  Of course you can say this about almost any team that has a very good QB but that's how these votes go when you have a winning team that is not that great..  Its not the best player in the league award which he would not win over Brady, Rogers etc.  

MVP Caliber season ? Have you watched any of Carolina's games ? if was a Jets QB you would be complaining about 9 ints and the 53 % comp percentage

that's why we don't just look at blind stats to evaluate, the man makes plays to help his team win. 

There is no comparison when you take everything into account. 

Kaep was at the helm of an offense in which 4 of their 8 games they were held to single digit points (7pts, 3pts, 3pts, 6pts) Kaep has thrown 1 or more TD's in just 3 of his 8 games. Cam is at the helm of an offense that has scored no less than 20 points in every game. Cam has also thrown a TD in every game. Kaep has rushed for just 1 TD this season and 256 yards, Cam has rushed for 5 TD's and 343 yards. 

Kaep has accumulated 2 or more TD's in a game (passing & rushing) just 3 times out of 8 games this season. Cam has done it in 7 of his 8 games. 

The 49ers defense has allowed 7 teams to score 20 or more points in a game, Kaep has lost 5 of those games. 

The Panthers defense has allowed 5 teams to score 20 or more points in a game, Cam won all 5 of those games. Also, in everyone of these games Cam accumulated no less than 2 TD's, which means that he's a contributing factor for why they're winning those games. 

Kaep is having a horrible year, Cam is having a very good year. The MVP talks surrounding Cam is obviously ridiculous, but you are what your record says you are, and with the way Cam is stepping up (3 pass TD's  and 1 rush TD against the packers ) dude deserves the love. 

He's definitely somewhat overrated, as he has been since he's been drafted, but this year he's finally starting to earn the hype. And his completion percentage would be better if he didn't have to throw to a kick returner

He is heads and tails better than any recent QB we have had who played more than a year......  

I'd take a healthy Vinny but short of that I'd take him any Sunday.

He's definitely somewhat overrated, as he has been since he's been drafted, but this year he's finally starting to earn the hype. And his completion percentage would be better if he didn't have to throw to a kick returner

Im not sure about that. Cam started his career off throwing for over 800 yards in his first 2 games. He ended the season with over 4,000 yards. Granted, he did cool WAY down, but he's not being overrated. he's been scrutinized more than anything in the media. 

The Panthers went into the season with just a crazy situation at WR. They had no money to spend via FA, their #1 goes down, Funchess is a rookie and the WR with the most yards this year is, of all people "TED GINN". Their leading receiver in rec, yards and TD's isnt even a WR...its their TE Greg Olsen. 

Their #2 leading WR is Corey Brown. Who the **** is that, really? 

For them to be 8-0 and to have never scored less than 20 point in any game with that quality of targets.....crazy. And its not like their rushing attack is anything special. Stewart averaging less than 4.0 ypc and has only 3 TD's on the season. Cam is the 2nd leading rusher and he has more rushing TD's then their #1 back. 

Cam is not overrated. He's about 85% of that offense right now. The other 15% is Greg Olsen. 

Dude is having an MVP caliber season. That offense has less talent (see: WEAPONZZZ) than last year's Jets. Look what he's doing. 

He'll get overlooked because "Brady has that look in his eyes", but the reality is nobody is doing more with less in the league right now. 

If you don't like hearing about it, change the channel. For once the media is talking about someone that is earning being in the conversation.

This.  The Panthers were picked to have a losing record this year because they took away all of Cam's weapons except Olsen and then Benjamin was lost for the year in the preseason.  The Panthers are the biggest surprise this year and it has a lot to do with Cam.

Also, we cannot forget that the Panther's D was not good last year and they also had to get rid of their best defensive player because he was a woman-beating lowlife (didn't stop JJ from picking him up, though).

Im not sure about that. Cam started his career off throwing for over 800 yards in his first 2 games. He ended the season with over 4,000 yards. Granted, he did cool WAY down, but he's not being overrated. he's been scrutinized more than anything in the media. 

The Panthers went into the season with just a crazy situation at WR. They had no money to spend via FA, their #1 goes down, Funchess is a rookie and the WR with the most yards this year is, of all people "TED GINN". Their leading receiver in rec, yards and TD's isnt even a WR...its their TE Greg Olsen. 

For them to be 8-0 and to have never scored less than 20 point in any game with that quality of targets.....crazy. And its not like their rushing attack is anything special. Stewart averaging less than 4.0 ypc and has only 3 TD's on the season. Cam is the 2nd leading rusher and he has more rushing TD's then their #1 back. 

Cam is not overrated. He's about 85% of that offense right now. The other 15% is Greg Olsen. 

That post should be required reading for those blind fans that just look at Cam's stats and come to the ridiculous conclusion that he is overrated.

Very good post Villain!

Also, the Kaep statistical comparison is wholly inaccurate because while Cam has thrown for 14 TDs he's also run for an additional 5.  Kaep has 7 TOTAL TDs.  How is there any comparison between QBs that have a 12 TD disparity?

That's like saying Sam Bradford (10 TDs) is having the same season as Tom Brady (22 TDs)

Also, Cam's 54% completion percentage is the worst of his career (he's at 59% for his career) due to the poor selection of targets.

he's the anti Philip Rivers, he's not a stat guy, he's a wins guy.  fans flock to fantasy #s but they only tell part of the story.

Stats don't ever tell the whole story!!

Like when folks said Chad was way better than Brady because he had better completion percentage.  He wasn't....

Or Sanchez was the worst QB in the league despite winning key games at key times his first two years. They were wrong and they now see even with good defenses it's hard to win in this league.....

Simple......

Winning counts.....

This.  The Panthers were picked to have a losing record this year because they took away all of Cam's weapons except Olsen and then Benjamin was lost for the year in the preseason.  The Panthers are the biggest surprise this year and it has a lot to do with Cam.

Also, we cannot forget that the Panther's D was not good last year and they also had to get rid of their best defensive player because he was a woman-beating lowlife (didn't stop JJ from picking him up, though).

SMC while I agree they took away weapons somehow these receivers are open all over the field. Could they be better players than anticipated ? It certainly would explain why they didn't go after WR talent . It looks to me like Cam is throwing to wide open receivers so how bad are they ?

he is making a case for MVP and he is good tv.

sheesh

How could he be in the conversation with Brady, Dalton, Rodgers, Carr, Palmer? When it comes to MVP .... Carolina is winning, Cam Newton is the face of the franchise and he makes the flashy play from time to time he's a good football player and a fantastic athlete he's not close to an MVP in the NFL . He is the MVP of his team that's about it .

I don't have any problems comprehending what I read.  No one else does either.  You're tearing Cam Newton a new one. He's not good.  He's all hype.  Can take it that he's got nothing to do with the Panthers being undefeated.  Too many picks.  I read it.  

You should stay out of QB conversations.  There's more to the game than stats.

Never tore Cam Newton a new one, never said he was a bad player my point was he is over rated and NOT an MVP candidate If you disagree with that fine just don't make up sh*t I never said to try and push the debate in you're favor .... I posted stats and a bad play in his last game

Cam the MVP Newton currently ranked number 26 in the NFL ...Just Imagine if he were a Jet he would be ranked 26th IN THE NFL

I'll say this again since you chose to ignore it last time.  If he was a New York Jet with our talent at wide receiver and Ivory at RB, his numbers would be far better than what they are and he would not be ranked so low.  Ignoring the drastic difference between our offense and theirs just to fit your argument is downright laughable.

this is very true and I'm really not a big "stat man" ...That being said 90 % of the time the MVP is voted in due to his stats and its hard to argue that statement.

True.   But he also tends to be on a team that wins a lot.

Cam this year reminds me a bit of when Air McNair was Co-MVP.

I'm really getting sick of hearing about this guy. He does make the good play from time to time but he makes a ton of bad plays and his team is winning in spite of the bad.

The NFL network refuses to point out any of the bad. A few weeks ago he had 1 TD and 3 Ints yet they were gushing all over him because he had a rushing TD from I think was the one yard line .

Today I'm watching highlights as he was having a pretty good game against the Packers yet threw what most would consider a completely moronic INT in the 4th quarter with 2 min left on own 30 yard line. When NFL network was describing the Play they Said "The Panthers" threw the Interception. I'm like WTF ? The Panthers ?? Its as if they are instructed not to say anything negative about Cam since they are all up his ass. Another problem with the throw was it was thrown to the sideline ??? Why when trying to move the ball and run out clock would you throw to the sideline ?

I remember a few years back When Sanchez was our QB and the Jets were 9-2 all they could do to bash Sanchez at every turn and it really is the same situation. We knew Sanchez was not the reason for being 9-2. And I think most people understand the Panthers are not undefeated simply because Cam Newton is doing it all by himself. Hes Not

Cam Newton will put his head down and try to run over Defenders.... and ya know what ? That's great as well even though the rest of the world knows its mind bogglingly stupid. Its reported as the great Cam Newton ...Superman ... Have we not seen this before over and over and have we not seen it end well at all. Actually when has it ever ended well ?

Cam Newton has a completion percentage of 53 % he has 14 TD's and 9 Ints and his rating is 81.

MVP Caliber season ? Have you watched any of Carolina's games ? if was a Jets QB you would be complaining about 9 ints and the 53 % comp percentage

Thank you for not falling for the bullsh*t hype like the other sheep. I'm not trying to say Cam is terrible Im not even calling him bad just over hyped and I'm not comparing him to Mark Sanchez (just the situation) yet people feel the need to take this thread in a direction I never intended . If this were any other QB with 14 TD's and 9 Ints with a 53 5 comp rate throwing BAD ints and his team bailing him out time after time they would NEVER ever get this coverage. MVP my ******* ass.

Apparently no one in this thread watched any of his games just sports center highlights giving him all the credit and his team nothing. We shall see how superman does come playoff time. That is if he's not injured by then taking on LB's head on.

Watch the Green Bay game where his so called terrible WR's were running free all over the field. Then watch how he almost gave the game away with a dumb Int in his own territory with 2 min left

Cam the MVP Newton currently ranked number 26 in the NFL ...Just Imagine if he were a Jet he would be ranked 26th IN THE NFL

Never tore Cam Newton a new one, never said he was a bad player my point was he is over rated and NOT an MVP candidate If you disagree with that fine just don't make up sh*t I never said to try and push the debate in you're favor .... I posted stats and a bad play in his last game

Yeah, you're right, you didnt rip him a new one.

I have a problem comprehending. 

Yeah, you're right, you didnt rip him a new one.

I have a problem comprehending. 

ripping a new one based on fact ...I'm not making that sh*t up so if so much bad is attributed to him why is everyone so damn outraged that I don't think he should be in the running for MVP ??

Also keep in mind just because I'm pointing out some of the bad in Cam's game does not mean I think he's a bad QB I just don't think he's MVP caliber its that simple

You're not tearing Cam a new one, but you are unnecessarily criticizing him. I agree that the guy isnt an MVP from my perspective, but what he's been able to accomplish with that barebones offense should be applauded, and that in itself makes him atleast a candidate. Sometimes the nomination, when justified, is good enough. I respect Cam's stats with literally no talent around him than I do Brady's stats with the best TE probably in NFL history, arugably the best slot WR in Edleman and arguably the best HC to ever coach in the league. Bradys season, though impressive isnt as impactful because its to be expected given the talent. No one expected this from the Panthers. And they're not just winning 10-13. They've put up 20 or more points in every game. 

I must say that you're posting stats that dont tell the entire story along with a bad play that sure as heck doesnt take away the win or his 4 TD's in that game. I just dont understand why. 

You state how 11 of his last 12 opponents all had losing records except the Packers. That sounds to me like Cam's beaten every team that he was supposed to beat along with beating a Packers team that he probably shouldnt have beaten.  How is this a problem? Andrew Luck does this all the time, every season and people are quick to talk about how "elite" he is. 

Cam is having his 15 minutes of fame for the 1st time, no need to sh*t on the parade when we all know that if this was Andrew Luck people would be drooling at the mouth about how "elite" he is. Luck threw 40 TD's last year, yet almost 20 of those TD's came against just 3 teams. The Jags, Titans, and Texans...3 teams that make up the easiest division in the league which Luck is in. 

We never hear about Andrew Luck, we never see a thread about Lucks 4 TD's but concentrating on his "bad" INT in a game that he won. C'mon, Cam is doing his thing with no help outside of Olsen. Lets take away some of the unwarranted credit from Luck and give some to Cam then. 

The reason why I bring this up isnt to say that this is "you" with all the Luck-love, what im saying is that its favoritism. Cam isnt one of those guys so anytime he gets limelight people will talk about how 11 of the 12 teams he's played had a losing record or how he threw a bad INT in a game he won yet overlook the 4 TD's he contributed to beat the Packers and stay undefeated. 

If the Colts were 8-0 right now and Andrew Luck put up the EXACT SAME stats I have a good feeling that we wouldnt be having this conversation. We'd be talking about "how awesome" this dude is just like people do every year. 

The Cam love shouldnt bother you. We both know statistically he may not look like an MVP, but in relation to the poor talent on that offense and the amount of offense he DIRECTLY contributes, along with their undefeated record, I can see how Cam being in the MVP conversation is relevant. As stated, sometimes just the nomination is enough. We know damn well he wont win it....but the Panthers at 8-0 NOBODY would have bet on in September given that offense. 

You know what should bother you more? Seeing incomplete catches by Odell Beckham Junior getting highlighted on the homepage of NFL.com. THAT sh*t bothers me! lol. 

You're not tearing Cam a new one, but you are unnecessarily criticizing him. I agree that the guy isnt an MVP from my perspective, but what he's been able to accomplish with that barebones offense should be applauded, and that in itself makes him atleast a candidate. Sometimes the nomination, when justified, is good enough. I respect Cam's stats with literally no talent around him than I do Brady's stats with the best TE probably in NFL history, arugably the best slot WR in Edleman and arguably the best HC to ever coach in the league. Bradys season, though impressive isnt as impactful because its to be expected given the talent. No one expected this from the Panthers. And they're not just winning 10-13. They've put up 20 or more points in every game. 

I must say that you're posting stats that dont tell the entire story along with a bad play that sure as heck doesnt take away the win or his 4 TD's in that game. I just dont understand why. 

You state how 11 of his last 12 opponents all had losing records except the Packers. That sounds to me like Cam's beaten every team that he was supposed to beat along with beating a Packers team that he probably shouldnt have beaten.  How is this a problem? Andrew Luck does this all the time, every season and people are quick to talk about how "elite" he is. 

Cam is having his 15 minutes of fame for the 1st time, no need to sh*t on the parade when we all know that if this was Andrew Luck people would be drooling at the mouth about how "elite" he is. Luck threw 40 TD's last year, yet almost 20 of those TD's came against just 3 teams. The Jags, Titans, and Texans...3 teams that make up the easiest division in the league which Luck is in. 

We never hear about Andrew Luck, we never see a thread about Lucks 4 TD's but concentrating on his "bad" INT in a game that he won. C'mon, Cam is doing his thing with no help outside of Olsen. Lets take away some of the unwarranted credit from Luck and give some to Cam then. 

The reason why I bring this up isnt to say that this is "you" with all the Luck-love, what im saying is that its favoritism. Cam isnt one of those guys so anytime he gets limelight people will talk about how 11 of the 12 teams he's played had a losing record or how he threw a bad INT in a game he won yet overlook the 4 TD's he contributed to beat the Packers and stay undefeated. 

If the Colts were 8-0 right now and Andrew Luck put up the EXACT SAME stats I have a good feeling that we wouldnt be having this conversation. We'd be talking about "how awesome" this dude is just like people do every year. 

The Cam love shouldnt bother you. We both know statistically he may not look like an MVP, but in relation to the poor talent on that offense and the amount of offense he DIRECTLY contributes, along with their undefeated record, I can see how Cam being in the MVP conversation is relevant. As stated, sometimes just the nomination is enough. We know damn well he wont win it....but the Panthers at 8-0 NOBODY would have bet on in September given that offense. 

You know what should bother you more? Seeing incomplete catches by Odell Beckham Junior getting highlighted on the homepage of NFL.com. THAT sh*t bothers me! lol. 

Villian you're right I probably should have left it at that... "he's not an MVP candidate"  It was my intension from the start . But when you look at the way the thread progressed early on it turned me in a way I really didn't want to go. Its like people watch highlights and not the games then want to argue with you about it.

I do think Cam has made a difference with the Panthers but that team deserves a lot of the credit as well and sometimes the way its portrayed via the talking heads it can get nauseating . You don't go 8-0 just because of the QB and the one thing that set me off to a point I made this thread was the Comment made on NFL Net at a very critical point in the Green Bay game . Yes Cam played a very good game but when he made that critical mistake at the end , and that mistake had 2 very bad points to it, they chose to say it was "the panthers" interception suddenly  Cam Newton didn't exist. It just rubbed me the wrong way then I started thinking about the seasons some other QB's were having and I didn't think Cam should have been in the MVP conversation compared to guys like Dalton and Brady to name a few.

When it comes to the no name talent around him, they seem to be getting it done, and they certainly got it done in the GB game when they were running free all over the field. They do deserve some credit.

Funny thing is I hated when they did/do this with a lot of other QB's as well and I actually do like Cam Newton he's fun to watch and he's an amazing athlete

The Panthers have won 12 straight regular-season games dating to last season. The Packers were the first team in that stretch that had a winning record entering the week.

What is Carolina supposed to do about that? They play who they're scheduled to play.

That said, the gushing over Cam on that 1/3 day was the epitome of sports media today.

And speaking of epitomes, this board is becoming the epitome of awful software. Auto correct/fill is obnoxious and makes me not want to take the time to post since I feel like a 3rd grade vocabulary teacher correcting papers before I hit submit.

Villian you're right I probably should have left it at that... "he's not an MVP candidate"  It was my intension from the start . But when you look at the way the thread progressed early on it turned me in a way I really didn't want to go. Its like people watch highlights and not the games then want to argue with you about it.

I do think Cam has made a difference with the Panthers but that team deserves a lot of the credit as well and sometimes the way its portrayed via the talking heads it can get nauseating . You don't go 8-0 just because of the QB and the one thing that set me off to a point I made this thread was the Comment made on NFL Net at a very critical point in the Green Bay game . Yes Cam played a very good game but when he made that critical mistake at the end , and that mistake had 2 very bad points to it, they chose to say it was "the panthers" interception suddenly  Cam Newton didn't exist. It just rubbed me the wrong way then I started thinking about the seasons some other QB's were having and I didn't think Cam should have been in the MVP conversation compared to guys like Dalton and Brady to name a few.

When it comes to the no name talent around him, they seem to be getting it done, and they certainly got it done in the GB game when they were running free all over the field. They do deserve some credit.

Funny thing is I hated when they did/do this with a lot of other QB's as well and I actually do like Cam Newton he's fun to watch and he's an amazing athlete

I feel you. There are times when I either start a thread or enter a thread and the conversation goes in a direction and I end up taking a stance that I initially wasnt trying to take. Its just frustrating when people overlook the obvious. This is why I said a couple times that I absolutely agree with you that he's not an MVP caliber player this year, but I do like the fact that based on what he's had to work with that they've thrown his name in the mix just to applaud what he's done. He's making an offense work that otherwise really shouldnt. He gets respect for that. 

And I also agree with the "QB" getting all the damn credit on a day-to-day basis, however, I do think that Cam is doing more at the QB position for the Panthers that results to wins (obviously in the passing, but also the running game) than the typical QB does for other teams. That in no way makes him a league MVP, but he is most definitely the MVP of that undefeated Panthers team. 

I definitely get what you're saying though. 

I'm not really sure what you're disagreeing with me about. I said this year he's finally earning the hype he's been given his first 4 years. I also literally said he'd have better numbers if he wasn't throwing to a kick returner, so I don't need to hear about Ted Ginn. I know what's going on in Carolina, and by your post, it seems like you're backing an argument that their defense is the reason why they're 8-0 right now. They are 27th in passing yards, and 1st in rushing yards, a rushing attack cannot be more special than first place. He has a lot to do with that rushing attack. Even with his healthy Benjamin and Olsen, he would have only threw for about 3500 yards last year had he played all 16. Cam's been great considering their situation this year, which is why I'm saying he's "finally" earning his hype. Could have something to do with him finally being healthy, but he hasn't played like this his whole career. 

And for the record, cooling down for 3 seasons while receiving the same amount of hype would classify as being overrated, no? 

Archived