Don't Ever Run Out Another KickOff

chirorob

the only one that can return kicks worth a sh-t is our under performing, injured CB.

I can't remember the last threat in the return game..  Justin Miller?  no actually it was Leon.

Cro is too valuable at corner, until Milliner is ready to go. Marcus Williams is garbage.

That is a young kid, eager to make a name, thinks he's in college,  being coached by a guy who hasnt emphasized TEAM.

No excuse for that.   Smith lost the game for an entire team.

Not running the ball on 2nd and 2 from the 4 lost the game.  Everything else that happened before that was irrelevant.  

Not running the ball on 2nd and 2 from the 4 lost the game.  Everything else that happened before that was irrelevant.  

it's really true , even after all the bafoonery they handed us the game and we said , no thanks .

Cro is great at it and ran a few back pretty far just on Sunday.

The thing that I have to wonder about is why they kept switching guys.  Thompkins, Smith, Stacey?  WTF?  Pick and dog and stick with him.  Watching, I would guess that they pulled Thompkins for running the opener out when he should have kneeled and then Smith for the fumble.  Stacey got hurt so right back on the merry go round. 

That is a young kid, eager to make a name, thinks he's in college,  being coached by a guy who hasnt emphasized TEAM.

No excuse for that.   Smith lost the game for an entire team.

Smith didn't lose the game, the team lost the game.  they had chances to overcome that mistake as big as it was.

Cro is too valuable at corner, until Milliner is ready to go. Marcus Williams is garbage.

Marcus Williams is better than Cro, just neither one can tackle. And Milliner will never be more than a depth CB. That's what he is.

Devin Smith made a rookie mistake, but I agree. No sense in ever taking the ball out 8 yards deep in the end zone. It's stupid.

Smith didn't lose the game, the team lost the game.  they had chances to overcome that mistake as big as it was.

Please do not misread this because I'm not declaring Smith a bust.  However the shear number of 2nd round pick that fail to deliver for this team is mind numbing.  Including our last 3 GM's, not one 2nd rounder has performed to his draft spot.  Just bad mojo I guess.  :(  

understood....  but if we picked ONE play to do over.  Probably 75 percent of all kickoffs are NOT returned, I bet 90 percent of all that are caught in the back part of the end zone. Yet a ROOKIE is put there and runs it back?  and fumbles???  Poor coaching, poor decision by the kid.  

understood....  but if we picked ONE play to do over.  Probably 75 percent of all kickoffs are NOT returned, I bet 90 percent of all that are caught in the back part of the end zone. Yet a ROOKIE is put there and runs it back?  and fumbles???  Poor coaching, poor decision by the kid.  

for some reason our KRs keep bringing it out, just take a damn knee.  especially w/ that kick which was relatively deep in the EZ and forced him to the sideline. 

I'm sorry, that's on Bobby (I suck) April! 

Forget that Devin Smith ran all the way across the endzone & THEN ran it out, when has Devin Smith shown the toughness & aggressiveness to be a kick returner in the NFL? Seriously, haven't we all been shocked by his pussiness going for the ball as a WR? OMG, the kid is early career Terry Glenn, Parcells own "SHE". TOTALLY ON APRIL!

Marcus Williams is better than Cro, just neither one can tackle. And Milliner will never be more than a depth CB. That's what he is.

Devin Smith made a rookie mistake, but I agree. No sense in ever taking the ball out 8 yards deep in the end zone. It's stupid.

the sample size on williams is too small. No way I'm willing to say he is better than Cro. He did not look good last night. Pretty early to pass judgment on Milliner. He has looked sharp at times. Hopefully he can stay healthy for once. 

Smith made a mistake but someone should have been in his ear hole before he did.

I have a different take on it.  GET A DAMN SPECIAL TEAMS KICK RETURNER FOR GODS SAKES AND THEN USE HIM.

Since he isn't on the roster, just stop it.  Stop running them out.  Have your returner stand 1 yard deep in the EZ.   If he takes one step back, catch it and take a knee.

the sample size on williams is too small. No way I'm willing to say he is better than Cro. He did not look good last night. Pretty early to pass judgment on Milliner. He has looked sharp at times. Hopefully he can stay healthy for once. 

Smith made a mistake but someone should have been in his ear hole before he did.

Milliner had a handful of okay games 2 years ago. All the other tape says JAG. Williams can't tackle, but he still looked better in coverage than Cro has all season. I'm not sure what you were watching. The Jets real problem was covering RBs out of the backfield because the linebackers on this team are not very good.

Agree but instead we carry 7 CBs some who are really bad 

The Jets had 6 CBs active last night. Bowles base defense is basically three CBs on the field at all times. Skrine is banged up. I'm not sure which CB you're going to sit because Walls, McDougle, and even Milliner all get special teams reps. You need more than just a kick returner to have effective special teams.

Cool. Who is it and how are you acquiring him? Also, who are you cutting to have just a guy to returns kicks on the team?

First step is ACTUALLY looking for a return guy,

We'll worry about the 2nd step after the 1st and I would easily cut another special teamer to have a good kick returner.  Teams that are based on ball control ansd dfense that ignore special teams, ie the jets are pure fools.

We'll worry about the 2nd step after the 1st and I would easily cut another special teamer to have a good kick returner.  Teams that are based on ball control ansd dfense that ignore special teams, ie the jets are pure fools.

Cool. Let MM know what guy you find to waste a roster spot on.

the only one that can return kicks worth a sh-t is our under performing, injured CB.

I can't remember the last threat in the return game..  Justin Miller?  no actually it was Leon.

Back when we had a special teams coach who could make chicken salad out of chicken chit

one not so good game and he is garbage...isn't he leading our teams in Interceptions right now? its his second year playing, last year he was an undrafted free agent who didn't even get on an nfl roster until the last couple of games. ridiculous how people flip flop their ideas of how a player plays based off of one bad game they have and that one bad game wipes out all of the positive things they have done in all of their previous games.

Smith should've never ran that out, he is a freaking idiot, another freaking bust. 

Don't waste any time!  It was a 21 yard return and a 19 yard fumble return.  Therefore not bringing it out would have made exactly 1 yard difference either way.  He had to be INSANE to even think about taking that out!

Cromartie is like 2nd in the AFC.  Owusu 5th.  Neither qualified, but they were our top 2 choices.  Nobody actually needs a good kick returner.  It is an outdated position.  Less useful than even fullback.  Just catch the ball, kneel down and start on O.

it was whoever Westhoff put back there BUT remember it's a lot harder to make an impact in the KR game w/ the new rules and that our STs sucked Westhoff's last year or 2 too. 

Don't waste any time!  It was a 21 yard return and a 19 yard fumble return.  Therefore not bringing it out would have made exactly 1 yard difference either way.  He had to be INSANE to even think about taking that out!

Cromartie is like 2nd in the AFC.  Owusu 5th.  Neither qualified, but they were our top 2 choices.  Nobody actually needs a good kick returner.  It is an outdated position.  Less useful than even fullback.  Just catch the ball, kneel down and start on O.

The cycle of the NFL, it's not important until someone comes up with a return guy that changes games and when I say return guy I mean kick offs and punts.  There are other Devin Hesters out there you just have to look for them.

Four kickoffs have been returned for touchdowns this year. There were six in 2014. Seven in 2013. 13 in 2012. So it's definitely trending downward. I know kickoffs are more about field position, but I'd rather they start at the 20 that the 14 or 15 or fumble the ball like has mostly been the case.

Archived