Dumb Use of Devon

roscoeword

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the base offense Smith is not a starter. Basically a starter is not a starter. Please move on.

And it sounds like Kerley is banged up too, so they may have to go out and find a WR. Unless they want to roll with just Thompkins. 

What are you, stuck in 1980?  Dude, nickel IS the base defense in the NFL these days.  Devin Smith and Buster Skrine are starters.

"There's been so much passing game in the last 10 years, and I think the nickel -- it's half the game. Half the game, you're in nickel or some kind of substitution defense. So, it's whichever way you want to look at it; maybe that's base and the other part is substitution now. We're divided about 500 plays to 500 plays year in and year out, and it's a big deal. That's why [on defense], we have more than 11 starters. We've got 15-16 starters that we see, and you can tell, depending on the opponent and the situation in the game, how many of those guys we'll move in and out, and feel comfortable doing that." -- Pete Carroll

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/12/NFL-nickel-defense-slot-cornerbacks-chris-harris-bradley-roby-jimmie-ward

What are you, stuck in 1980?  Dude, nickel IS the base defense in the NFL these days.  Devin Smith and Buster Skrine are starters.

"There's been so much passing game in the last 10 years, and I think the nickel -- it's half the game. Half the game, you're in nickel or some kind of substitution defense. So, it's whichever way you want to look at it; maybe that's base and the other part is substitution now. We're divided about 500 plays to 500 plays year in and year out, and it's a big deal. That's why [on defense], we have more than 11 starters. We've got 15-16 starters that we see, and you can tell, depending on the opponent and the situation in the game, how many of those guys we'll move in and out, and feel comfortable doing that." -- Pete Carroll

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/12/NFL-nickel-defense-slot-cornerbacks-chris-harris-bradley-roby-jimmie-ward

the more you familiarize with his content, his namesake is rather appropriate. Agree, nickel is the Base defense in Goodell's NFL; Skrine was a GENIUS signing due to this fact, despite the haters.

the more you familiarize with his content, his namesake is rather appropriate. Agree, nickel is the Base defense in Goodell's NFL; Skrine was a GENIUS signing due to this fact, despite the haters.

Please @ me if you wish to talk about me. And I'm fairly certain my content is much more valuable than the two of you put together. 

There are only a few players who don't play specials. The #3/4 WR isn't one of them. This argument is stupid at this point. 

There are only a few players who don't play specials. The #3/4 WR isn't one of them. This argument is stupid at this point. 

Smith got hurt not happy to see that. Specials is where a player that has shown as little as he has earns more playing time facts are facts

Please @ me if you wish to talk about me. And I'm fairly certain my content is much more valuable than the two of you put together. 

hehehehehehehehehehehe

I'm sorry, you don't put a highly drafted speedy and FRAGILE player on special teams. That was brutal. We just lost a guy who could have developed into a secret weapon down the road.

you mean the guy who did it all the time in college and was regarded as one of the best gunners in the draft??

Exactly.  Do people think they gave Skrine $25 million to be a backup?  Of course not.  We also drafted Kyle Wilson even though we already had Revis and Cromartie.  You need three starting CBs and three starting WRs in this league.

I don't see any fight in the kid as a WR- like the Geno injury, this might just end up being addition by subtraction. In other words we get the BETTER player out there now with the injury to Smith. Kerley is a better WR. You know what I've been thinking about and some of the old guys might just agree with me. When The Jets had Richard Caster and Jerome Barkum they ended up using Caster as a hybrid TE, just like they are doing with Enunwa

Be glad it wasn't Decker or Marshall. Of the 40-45 guys who play more than a few plays per game, Smith probably was the guy we could most afford to lose. We aren't the Patriots yet who seem to be able to win with 2nd and 3rd string guys playing offensive line. When Mangold missed time we weren't the same. The running game seems to miss Willie Colon as well. Mike Maccagnan will get us to the point where we can better withstand injuries but he needs another draft or two. Devin Smith hasn't stood out in any positive way yet. The worst part is that he needs more playing time and a full healthy off season spent in the weight room. It looks like he will be rehabbing a knee injury instead.

LMAO. Thompkins when he has got minutes has been better than Smith. This indeed may addition by subtraction.

smith is extremely important for the jets future plans, he's had a slow start but losing him is a major blow... This team badly needs to start developing young talent or we're going to find ourselves in a really bad situation soon

I agree Smith will be important in the future, but for the rest of the season this is not a huge blow. Our offense is predicated off the run and B Marsh and Deck. If we lost either of those two, then I would say we are in Barney. With Powell returning strong we have added another weapon. We just need another guy to step up. Maybe Thompkins who proved he is reliable or JK?? We will see, but for now this loss is not a killer.

I don't see any fight in the kid as a WR- like the Geno injury, this might just end up being addition by subtraction. In other words we get the BETTER player out there now with the injury to Smith. Kerley is a better WR. You know what I've been thinking about and some of the old guys might just agree with me. When The Jets had Richard Caster and Jerome Barkum they ended up using Caster as a hybrid TE, just like they are doing with Enunwa

Wow, you guys are so QUICK  to give up on a player.  The guy was improving and was used mostly these last few games as a decoy. Had he not gotten injured, I felt he would have continued his development.  Kerley may be a better overall receiver but he is not stretching the field at all and right now, Decker is better then him out of the slot; I don't see how this is addition by subtraction.   We lose a young, talented player perhaps for the season; how is that a good thing? 

Hey I don't want to lose anyone for the season, especially a young kid who was coming on, but he can replaced for the time being. Use a mix of Kerley (if injury is not serious) and Thompkins. Both at this point in their career are more polished and can add something to the offense. I think it is about time we know as fans what makes us tick on the that side of the ball. We are not a deep ball team because our Qb is limited in that portion of the game and excels in intermediate and timing routes. Also adding Bilal as threat now opens up the middle of the field and the underneath stuff that LBs must respect. The fact that Ridley probably just played his best game as Jet gives me hope that we don't wear down Ivory and keep those legs fresh. We are a ball control team that has two above average playmakers and a bull for running back. The Smith injury while it is unfortunate, doesn't affect we are doing at this time.

Wow, you guys are so QUICK  to give up on a player.  The guy was improving and was used mostly these last few games as a decoy. Had he not gotten injured, I felt he would have continued his development.  Kerley may be a better overall receiver but he is not stretching the field at all and right now, Decker is better then him out of the slot; I don't see how this is addition by subtraction.   We lose a young, talented player perhaps for the season; how is that a good thing? 

How is it perhaps a good thing? Look, the kid getting hurt is terrible for the kid but maybe, just like the Geno Smith injury, it could actually end up benefitting the Jets as a team if Kerley gets his reps. Devin Smith had 28 balls thrown to him-he caught 9 of them-that is right there at the bottom of the heap among wide receivers that have played theis year. He showed no fight for the ball-it's almost like if it wasn't a perfect pass he wasn't catching it and even then, it is always in doubt. Kerley is good for catching TWICE as many passes as Smith-this year alone 26 targets 16 receptions compared to Smith's 9 of 28. You saw improvement? When? He sucks I'm sorry Jet Blue, but he does.

How is it perhaps a good thing? Look, the kid getting hurt is terrible for the kid but maybe, just like the Geno Smith injury, it could actually end up benefitting the Jets as a team if Kerley gets his reps. Devin Smith had 28 balls thrown to him-he caught 9 of them-that is right there at the bottom of the heap among wide receivers that have played theis year. He showed no fight for the ball-it's almost like if it wasn't a perfect pass he wasn't catching it and even then, it is always in doubt. Kerley is good for catching TWICE as many passes as Smith-this year alone 26 targets 16 receptions compared to Smith's 9 of 28. You saw improvement? When? He sucks I'm sorry Jet Blue, but he does.

I don't agree; he is raw and needs time.  He was improving; I saw him open on numerous occasions on Sunday but Fitz didn't look his way, and that is fine with the way Marshall and Fitz were getting open but don't tell me losing a guy with his talent and speed is a good thing.  When dealing with young players you have stop getting hung up on what they "didn't do" yet, and allow them to develop before branding them a bust.  

He was the X factor on our team - a guy that had the most potential to take the load off Decker and Marshall, one of the few guys on the team with real speed.

He is fast and sits at the 4 spot on the wr rotation.

Sounds lika gunner to me. 

Archived