One More Reason The Jets Need To Win On Sunday

Gen X Jet

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it, but it looks like our season comes down to depending on Cincy knocking off Denver in that game. Of course, it also comes down to the Jets winning the next two, but at least those games are within the Jets' control.

Seems pretty pessimistic. What we need is to win out, then for 3 teams to lose one of 6 games. 

No matter what the odds of each individual game it's highly unlikely that they go 6-0 to keep us out. 

The Pats just lost to the Eagles. Any given Sunday, and all that. 

ya we probably miss by 1 game.. still, in sept 2015, w/new coaches/playbook, most of us would have been thrilled/signed up  to know our last 2-3 games had playoff implications,,Future is bright!!!!!!!!!!!

We also spent a fortune, so this isn't the same team that went 4-12 last year.  We are going to miss because we couldn't score, from the 3 after Buffalo botched a punt.  Even with us winning out, Rex has a chance to have kept us out of the playoffs.   We had shots against Houston and Buffalo to win, and had the lead going into the 4th on NE.   Losing to Buffalo and then Houston with Yates at Qb hurts.

It's been a decent year, but I wouldn't have signed for this position.  Going 11-5 and missing the playoffs is no better than going 4-12 and missing the playoffs.  The only difference between the 2 is picking in the top 6-8 and picking 20th, so in some respects, 4-12 is better.   Now, over the course of the 17 week season, it was much more enjoyable going 11-5, don't get me wrong.

With all this said, I think Denver loses this week.  I also think KC loses one of the remaining 2.  I know they are playing no one, but it's just a feeling.  I don't think Pittsburgh loses. 

meh,, Rex started with a damn good roster.  Mac and Bowles started with pretty close to nothing.  It's reasonable may take another year.  

Bowles is a dam good coach, made some mistakes but which new coach hasnt. Coughlin and experienced twice winning SB HC has been a complete abortion this yr

LOL, just looked up tagline... I didnt turn my 'what I was in'  card in on time and had a stickie handed out on Yearbook day that folks had to paste under my name, LOL. It really hurt at time, but it was my fault. Gee you really are obsessed with me. I'm honored , I have a stalker,,

I'm sad you were laid off but I didnt have anything to do with it. Hope you've landed on your feet :) If you need help, call me..

Bowles is a dam good coach, made some mistakes but which new coach hasnt. Coughlin and experienced twice winning SB HC has been a complete abortion this yr

Exactly.  If anything Bowles earned an iota of patience or the best a fan base who hasn't had  a winner since 1969 could muster.  Been a good year to be a Jet fan in this fat mans humble opinion.

With all due respect, I feel you're pretty off on this. The reason I say this is because if you SIMPLY look at the Jets' Team rankings in terms of Offensive production (1st in Redzone scoring, Top rushing/game, WR scoring #s, etc.)  and Defensive dominance (Points allowed, Redzone Defense, etc.)

the LEAPS and BOUNDS in terms of improvement are ASTOUNDING when compared to last year and MORE SO the past 4 years under Rex. Penalties AGAINST the Jets, ALONE, have become nonexistent in COSTING this team games during the course of the season; can't say THAT for the last 6 years under the previous regime. 

So while, disappointing, we don't make the playoffs, the numbers, the production, and WATCHING the PRODUCT PLAYING on THE FIELD, CLEARLY demonstrates that there HAS been a HISTORIC turnaround - the history for the last 6 years had a culture of EXCUSES and ACCEPTING losing amongst players  - MacCAgs and Bowles have COMPLETELY 180 degrees turned about and rooted and stamped that mentality out. it's great.  the FUTURE looks bright and promising. 

We're playing with HOUSE MONEY (our BACKUP Journeyman QB having a career year, Solid defense, etc.). Everyone thought the ceiling was 7-8 win MAX back in July, now we're able to WIN OUT and who know!?!?!?!?!?

Starts this Sunday, I'll be there and HOARSE AS HELL!! :-)

I am not looking at any rankings at all.  I saw the talent on this team, I know the history of this league and coaching changes, this is a nice turnaround but hardly historic.  we had an easy schedule facing the NFC east and AFC South, Miami stinks and we had them twice, we played Cleveland.  the only real difficult games on the sched are/were the 2 NE games and so far we are 0-1 against them.

This doesn't mean the new staff and team didn't have a good season but w/o the playoffs it's not a success.  There are no guarantees we are as good or better next year, there are no guarantees we are in the playoff race next year. 

expectations changes, most thought 7-9 wins and we may win 11.  Most thought Miami could win 10 games and they will win 6, no one thought Carolina could win 13 let alone 16.  expectations change.  we got a career year from a QB we thought was going to be a backup, has he turned the corner or is this a 1 year wonder?

I am enjoying this season, it's great being back in the race but it will not be fun if we miss the playoffs at 11-5.

we are not playing w/ house money, when you have a chance to make it you better make it b/c you don't know if you'll have the same chance the next year.

I agree with this statement. It would be a colossal disappointment if we missed that playoffs. You dont spend all that money to establish a top 5 defense, make trades to establish a top 10 offense and you dont make the playoffs. 

If the Jets win out and they dont make it given how poorly the playoff structure is, then it would be a disappointment but it would be a respectable season because we did what we had to do going undefeated in the month of December and winning our last 6. However, if we lose to the Pats or Bills and we dont make it then I agree with you 100% because its bad enough that we even need help given the schedule this year, but we will most definitely be reflecting back on the Houston, Philly and Oakland games and realize that we missed the playoffs because we let teams that were better than beat us. 

it is a good season regardless and hopefully a springboard to more success in the future.  we may look back and see the foundation set and say this was a great season but in the moment not knowing what the future holds it will be a bitteer disappointment to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs.

Dude my signature hasnt nothing to do with you, but now it gives me pause to look, just need to get your HS and graduating year. 

You will find total blank, I'll send u my pastie, LOL. Hard to explain to parents I forget to turn in activity card on time.. :(

Sent u DM, answer me, I'll call you.. overdue :)

Seems pretty pessimistic. What we need is to win out, then for 3 teams to lose one of 6 games. 

No matter what the odds of each individual game it's highly unlikely that they go 6-0 to keep us out. 

The Pats just lost to the Eagles. Any given Sunday, and all that. 

I'm all for looking at the bright side. But of the 6 games you mention, Cincy-Denver is probably the most realistic chance that a needed loss would occur. But you're absolutely right that the chances in the other 5 games are not zero. I'd be happy with any of them happening.

Cinci's got a pretty good D as well and Osweiler looked hurt in the second half on Sunday.

I think the QB's are a wash at best and Denver has the better D, plus Cincy has a history of losing big games.  It can go either way, but gun to my head I'd take Denver's defense against McCarron.  I hope I'm wrong.

teams go from 3/4/5/6 wins to the playoffs the next year all the time.  this is not some historic turnaround, it will be a colossal disappointment if we miss the playoffs. 

I wouldn't go as far as calling it colossal - but certainly a disappointed.  This team is so far from the one they put on the field last year, it's really tough to look at the turn around as some large feat.  The team is immensely more talented than last year's and they've played a weaker schedule...

I'm happy to see success - but this is a win now league, missing the playoffs is a big deal.  I think our fans are so used to failure that a 9-7 season is satisfactory.  I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be happy with it..

I can't fathom those that complain about this season.  Cap spent blah blab blah, schedule blah blah blah, you vocal minority are the ONLY thing I find disappointing.  After 4 years of disaster we're relevant.   You do understand that the glass is also half full, right?     

You will find total blank, I'll send u my pastie, LOL. Hard to explain to parents I forget to turn in activity card on time.. :(

Sent u DM, answer me, I'll call you.. overdue :)

wtf are you talking about mon, activity card???  I looked at the dude's hs yearbook football pages, he told everybody he was  all-state Qb with floods of college scholly offers so it seemed. Now you peeked my internet interest

If the Jets win, the Bengals are still in play for the #1 seed in the AFC.  It would be nice if the Bengals beat Denver next Monday...

I think the BYE the winner will likely secure with a win is more than enough motivation for both teams. 

wtf are you talking about mon, activity card???  I looked at the dude's hs yearbook football pages, he told everybody he was  all-state Qb with floods of college scholly offers so it seemed. Now you peeked my internet interest

No, early in school year I was told fill in activities card of what u did,,drama club, Key Club, Track etc..etc. I never did, so for kids who didnt they came back and gave 2nd chance but on 'hand out yearbook day' they gave us 100s of  pasted stickers u put under your Picture and  'Personal Quote they gave you'. Under my picture/quote is was empty, LOL..I was in drama club damnit!!!!   :) They said use yours and give to your friends to put under your name in their book,, I was a idiot, but I swear I dont remember them ever asking for us to fill out those cards.. Parents pissed LOL.. 

Cool to be talking post to post again :)

I can't fathom those that complain about this season.  Cap spent blah blab blah, schedule blah blah blah, you vocal minority are the ONLY thing I find disappointing.  After 4 years of disaster we're relevant.   You do understand that the glass is also half full, right?     

Look, I'm not saying it's a bad season, but I'm not happy with it.

12 out of 32 teams (37.5%) that's more than 1/3 of the teams in the NFL make the playoffs.  As a fan base, being in the top 1/3rd is the least we should be satisfied with.

12 out of 32 teams (37.5%) that's more than 1/3 of the teams in the NFL make the playoffs.  As a fan base, being in the top 1/3rd is the least we should be satisfied with.

I hear ya, but think about in August after 4 Ws and a new HC/GM and 3 new playbooks, O, D, STs (parcells used to say to took 2 years to FULLY implement a NFL playbook) would you have thought playoffs a reality? I didnt. I was hoping for 8 Ws at best, but with a sign that the HC was valid and system looked good for long run

Next year I'd 100% expect a wildcard and a 'possible' run at Pats for AFC-E

I hear ya, but think about in August after 4 Ws and a new HC/GM and 3 new playbooks, O, D, STs (parcells used to say to took 2 years to FULLY implement a NFL playbook) would you have thought playoffs a reality? I didnt. I was hoping for 8 Ws at best, but with a sign that the HC was valid and system looked good for long run

Next year I'd 100% expect a wildcard and a 'possible' run at Pats for AFC-E

expectations change, it doesn't matter what we thought in August.  playoff apps are precious, we haven't made it in 5 years(longest streak since 1992-1997).  we have a good shot to make it, it will be a disappointment if we do not.

expectations change, it doesn't matter what we thought in August.  playoff apps are precious, we haven't made it in 5 years(longest streak since 1992-1997).  we have a good shot to make it, it will be a disappointment if we do not.

me too, but I am still pleased with  anew regimes 1st season,,future is bright

me too, but I am still pleased with  anew regimes 1st season,,future is bright

love what Mac has done with this roster, but real judgment of a GM starts in year 2 when he has to react to teams free agents and how he is able to replace and upgrade the ones the team has lost. Both Tanny and Idzick failed this test big time!!!

love what Mac has done with this roster, but real judgment of a GM starts in year 2 when he has to react to teams free agents and how he is able to replace and upgrade the ones the team has lost. Both Tanny and Idzick failed this test big time!!!

yup, thats part of it, although he did that in a few places last year,,but now its in his scheme, so I hear ya.. he has to get right 'scheme' guys

Agreed.   Which is why I as a businessman who sees different organizations succeed and fail everyday points to management as the reason teams are not top 1/3 year in and year out.

We all agree that the QB is by far the most important piece. However, over a 25 -30 year period, the same teams win consistently with different players.   Management is more important. a good GM may be the most valuable.

IMO..the disaster recipe for a team is a wealthy owner who is involved.  Woody, Jones, Blanc etc...   

Great companies have a Board, same with great teams. 

yup, thats part of it, although he did that in a few places last year,,but now its in his scheme, so I hear ya.. he has to get right 'scheme' guys

Both Tanny and Idzick operated with a risk reward mentality when it came to replacing players lost to cuts, free agency and retirement. Problem is players signed ended up being extremely high risk and few if any gave any reward. Many were young and signed on potential or were vets coming off major injury. This led to a lack of talent and depth of the O-line, receiving corps and D secondary. Add in draft picks that we're whiffs and this team was in shambles. It is amazing what Mac was able to do in one off season, real test will come in his second year and moving forward 

Agreed.   Which is why I as a businessman who sees different organizations succeed and fail everyday points to management as the reason teams are not top 1/3 year in and year out.

We all agree that the QB is by far the most important piece. However, over a 25 -30 year period, the same teams win consistently with different players.   Management is more important. a good GM may be the most valuable.

IMO..the disaster recipe for a team is a wealthy owner who is involved.  Woody, Jones, Blanc etc...   

Great companies have a Board, same with great teams. 

Woody isn't involved.  

I'm all for looking at the bright side. But of the 6 games you mention, Cincy-Denver is probably the most realistic chance that a needed loss would occur. But you're absolutely right that the chances in the other 5 games are not zero. I'd be happy with any of them happening.

I think it's less likely that we win out than all 3 of those teams winning all 6 games. The Chiefs were a 1st and goal penalty away from going to overtime against the Chargers last week. (That really sucked BTW)

The Broncos started 10-2. Once they lose to the Bengals they will have completed an historic collapse, then could very well lose to the Chargers too.

Chiefs started 1-5 and will likely win the division over the 10-2 Broncos. Now that was an unlikely scenario. 

Woody isn't involved.  

NFL has a min/max  cap. Woody like every owner sets a budget within that number. It's up to the GM to work with-in that budget. Good GMs are Abel to operate with it or Abel  to convince their owners to up the anti. Other than that Woody lets his football people decide the day to day running. Of the team 

NFL has a min/max  cap. Woody like every owner sets a budget within that number. It's up to the GM to work with-in that budget. Good GMs are Abel to operate with it or Abel  to convince their owners to up the anti. Other than that Woody lets his football people decide the day to day running. Of the team 

exactly.  Woody isn't an owner who thinks he knows the game well enough to get involved in player every day on field football decisions.  He's not Jones, Snyder type.  

Archived