Rex Ryan would be playoff-bound with these Jets - Manish straight Trollin'

ZachEY

Yea, yet another moral victory in a Jets loss.

Congrats on staying within 5 points of the ferocious Buffalo Bills.

Rex haters try to take away anything positive from Ryan's time as Jets HC.. Next they will say BB was paid to lose the playoff game at home to the Jets.. I love the Bowles and Mac combo and think we were on the right track. I just hope Rex and the Bills keep on the downward spiral on Sunday... 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rex haters try to take away anything positive from Ryan's time as Jets HC.. Next they will say BB was paid to lose the playoff game at home to the Jets.. I love the Bowles and Mac combo and think we were on the right track. I just hope Rex and the Bills keep on the downward spiral on Sunday... 

Jets/Bills will be the best game of the weekend.

Rex comes from the Buddy Ryan School of Football which teaches offense as a second language. Todd Bowles comes from the Bill Parcell's, Bruce Arians' school which teaches all phases of the game are equally important. Gailey would NEVER have worked for Rex as an OC, IMHO.

Yea, yet another moral victory in a Jets loss.

Congrats on staying within 5 points of the ferocious Buffalo Bills.

LOL, this is why your a troll..... I said nothing about a moral victory of any sort, what I challenged was your trolling notion that the Bills beat the Jets silly, you silly boy.

Didn't that "joke" of a team beat the Jets silly at home?

yes they beat the Jets silly that night , senseless...one of the worst blowouts the league has seen in years...Rex's Bills were a well oiled machine of pure discipline and football execution that night , it will be many many years before we see a team so prepared and organized for opening whistle to final gun....I'm ashamed and embarrassed that I forgot that textbook lesson that Rex and his Bills taught us all that night. Thank you for correcting me.

The only reason we had a "pencil pusher masquerading as a GM" in the first place was because nobody wants to work with Rex. So, unless you were going to make Rex GM, he doesn't have this particular Jets team to coach. Rex the GM would have signed Ndamukong Suh and Tyrod Taylor. Fitzpatrick never gets here. Brandon Marshall never gets here. Quite simply the dumbest hypothetical I've ever seen posited. Next up from Manish: If Ernest Hemingway Wrote My Articles For Me, I'd Win a Pulitzer.

The vultures circling western New York have taken aim at Rex Ryan less than a year after he followed a condescending curmudgeon who quit on their beloved Buffalo Bills. Some people up there have selective amnesia.

Ryan, once embraced, now questioned, got a public vote of confidence from Bills owner Terry Pegula on Wednesday, which says more about his frustrated fan base than the man in charge of his football team. Ryan’s Bills are still a work in progress. He just needs to get rid of the bums.

Ryan isn’t Lombardi, but he has proven in the past that he can win when talented players buy in. In fact, he would have taken the Jets to the playoffs this season if he were still around.

Todd Bowles has done a terrific job, but there’s no doubt that Ryan would have the Jets positioned for a postseason berth, too, given the influx of talent this offseason.

“I think we would be (a playoff team),” cornerback Antonio Cromartie told the Daily News about whether Ryan would have taken the Jets to the playoffs this season with the current roster. “I don’t see why we wouldn’t be. ... This is probably the best offense I’ve been around being on the Jets.”

BRANDON MARSHALL ADMITS TRADE TO JETS WAS A MOTIVATOR

Instead, Ryan stands in the Jets’ way entering the regular-season finale in Orchard Park on Sunday.

The Jets (10-5) will break a four-year playoff drought by beating the Bills (6-7) this weekend. Ryan’s nemesis on One Jets Drive was a clueless pencil pusher masquerading as a general manager, who has since moved to Jacksonville, so the coach isn’t exactly M-Fing everything about his former employer these days.

“There’s a lot of guys I care about on that team,” Ryan said Wednesday. “It’s actually great to see them having success. I just don’t want them to have success at my expense. I’m going to do everything I can to win this game.”

It’s natural for Ryan to be envious of Bowles right now. After all, the Jets’ rookie coach has a GM who actually acquired talented players for him. The new Jets front office transformed the team this offseason with an influx of talent that has made the current roster almost unrecognizable from a year ago.

Bowles got short-term and long-term upgrades all over the place. He didn’t have to deal with the nonsense that Ryan had to in his final two years with the Jets.

Bowles deserves plenty of credit for blending all those new pieces into a successful brew, but Ryan would have lifted this roster to similar heights with the right offensive play caller.

MEHTA: RYAN FITZPATRICK BELONGS IN MVP RACE

Bowles’ master stroke of hiring offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who has shared a brain with resurgent veteran quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, has been pivotal to the Jets’ success. Bowles’ understated, but firm leadership style has been brilliant too.

Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall prove to be a dynamic duo, something Rex could've used during his time with the Jets.
KATHY WILLENS/AP

Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall prove to be a dynamic duo, something Rex could've used during his time with the Jets.

“Guys know where they stand with me,” Bowles said on Wednesday.

Ryan might have been louder and prouder than his successor, but his Jets players never quit on him. They believed in the coach until the bitter end in 2014 when the roster had been reduced to a middling Pop Warner squad thanks to the penny-pinching accountant in charge of football operations.

Ryan is in uncharted territory with some disgruntled voices in his locker room this year.

“I’ve never been looked at as a problem,” Ryan said of the public criticism from a few Bills players. “Yeah, that bothers me. No doubt about it.”

Ryan’s words sometimes cloud the fact that he’s a good coach. His mouth wrote a check that his team couldn’t cash in 2015.

He whiffed on his offseason playoff prediction, which is reason enough not to make any more offseason playoff predictions, especially for a franchise that has missed the postseason for 16 years. He promised to steer clear of that tack in the future, “because we failed miserably” this season.

Sure, the Bills got screwed by some horrible officiating (see: pick play in Philly) and have been saddled with too many injuries to too many important players, but excuse-makers don’t last long in the NFL.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. 'LIKE' US HERE

Ryan knows the deal. He has to find a way to galvanize his players. He has made a career of galvanizing his players.

He hasn’t forgotten how to coach. None of that, of course, will help him Sunday.

The Jets are poised to reach the postseason for the first time since Ryan took them to a second consecutive AFC Championship Game in 2010.

Ryan was somewhere in the clouds during those magical runs. He might have been able to do it again if he were still around.

There is plenty of doubt, in my opinion.  The problem is that you can't assume that he would have succeeded with a poor OC and he probably would have gone back to Geno when he was ready.  Those are the aspects of coaching that he stinks at.

Rex's GM gave him a talented roster in Buffalo, one could argue MORE talented than that of the Jets... But why would that matter?

Sure, if you don't count the QB.  Tyrod Taylor stinks (and EJ Manuel is even worse).  Ryan Fitzpatrick is good.

If I'm Bowles, I'm blitzing the sh*t out of Tyrod on Sunday.  

The only reason we had a "pencil pusher masquerading as a GM" in the first place was because nobody wants to work with Rex. So, unless you were going to make Rex GM, he doesn't have this team to coach in the first place. Rex the GM would have signed Ndamokong Suh and Tyrod Taylor. Fitzpatrick never gets here. Brandon Marshall never gets here. Quite simply the dumbest hypothetical I've ever seen posited. Next up from Manish: If Ernest Hemingway Wrote My Articles For Me, I'd Win a Pulitzer.

Except that's not true.  David Caldwell didn't like the cap or roster situation.  And Woody didn't like Tom Gamble, who would have taken the job.  

Even Manish can't stop talking about Rex; I am sure it was nice as a reporter when he was here, but wasn't Manish one of the reporters calling the Jets a circus.  Funny how now that he is gone, Rex can do no wrong.

Truth is I doubt the offense would be any good as Rex never would have picked Chan.  Also, this team does a great job with discipline and penalties (normally) and he wouldn't have reduced Coples' snaps.  He would not suspend Mo for being late.  I am grateful for all Rex brought the Jets, but I think Bowels has the potential to be a much better coach.

Except that's not true.  David Caldwell didn't like the cap or roster situation.  And Woody didn't like Tom Gamble, who would have taken the job.  

I think we saw pretty clearly when Rex was a free agent exactly what the league thinks of his abilities and, as predicted, how it would come down to a dope owner superseding his personnel department in order for Rex to get another job. Caldwell took a job that is infinitely worse than the Jets gig and Gamble is apparently a pariah in NFL circles. 

Even Manish can't stop talking about Rex; I am sure it was nice as a reporter when he was here, but wasn't Manish one of the reporters calling the Jets a circus.  Funny how now that he is gone, Rex can do no wrong.

Truth is I doubt the offense would be any good as Rex never would have picked Chan.  Also, this team does a great job with discipline and penalties (normally) and he wouldn't have reduced Coples' snaps.  He would not suspend Mo for being late.  I am grateful for all Rex brought the Jets, but I think Bowels has the potential to be a much better coach.

Absolutely 100% correct and Mac is our first real GM since... I can't remember..LOL

With this roster and Fitz playing the way he has any coach should make the playoffs. 

Pretty wrong on every front.

Lets start with they havent made the playoffs with this HC yet.  No matter how much I think they'll make it theyre not in until Sundays done and in the books.

Funny how we've rewritten history.  Everyone had the Bills over us.  Everyone had their DL better than ours.  Their D better than ours.  Their HC was a proven winner.   Ours was learning on the fly,  Blah, Blah, Blah.  Today, Rex or anyone would have won with this roster.  Sure, OK

Sure, if you don't count the QB.  Tyrod Taylor stinks (and EJ Manuel is even worse).  Ryan Fitzpatrick is good.

If I'm Bowles, I'm blitzing the sh*t out of Tyrod on Sunday.  

At the beginning of the season, which would be the context for setting expectations based on the talent a coach has been handed, both rosters were deemed "without a true QB". Tyrod, Cassel and EJ were looked at as a likely equivalent to whatever we'd get from Geno and Fitz, by most people. So, counting QB or not, is irrelevant... unless you're looking at it in hindsight.

Rex was handed a Buffalo roster that many would argue was top-to-bottom better than the Jets roster, at the beginning of the season. Some argued the Bills had enough talent there to compete with NE for the division title. Yet some people will take Manish's bait and run with the idea that Rex would make the playoffs with this Jets roster. 

Anyway, I agree... I hope we bring pain in every phase of the game. Kill their offense, embarrass their defense, and not **** up on specials. 

Manish is 100% correct in this case. That is why Idzik should have spent last season. It would have helped to keep a great coach's job. Oh well.

The key to great trolling is to have an air of believability... not make it sound like you started laughing before you finished typing.

Manish is 100% correct in this case. That is why Idzik should have spent last season. It would have helped to keep a great coach's job. Oh well.

Laughable at best, ridiculous at worst. Stubborn Rex would have never moved Pryor to his natural position, would have not had a legitimate offensive coordinator brought in, and would have wasted timeouts and challenges like he always did. And let's not even get into the QB situation he would have mangled. Tigers don't change their stripes. 

You think so? This argument is an interesting one:

Ryan isn’t Lombardi, but he has proven in the past that he can win when talented players buy in.

Buffalo had the most complete defense in the league - a dominant front, good pass-rushers and a good secondary. Any neutral observer would agree that Buffalo had a lot of talented players on this side of the ball. On paper, its arguably one of the most talented. Rex took this defense, which was top 3 in the league last year, and turned it into a ******* turnstile. They were struggling to take games into the 4th quarter against good teams. Buffalo's much vaunted defense conceded 27+ pts by the end of the 3rd quarter against every playoff-bound team they played against - the Patriots, the Bengals, Texans, Redskins, etc. - everybody lined up and got their punches in.

Strange, because the question-marks surrounding Buffalo in preseason had to do with the offense. They haven't been bad; in fact, its probably a better unit in pts per game compared to last year. The talented players though; the ones on defense; have underachieved big time, and this is the major cause of their struggles. Rex proudly proclaimed that his team would have the best defense in the league when he took the job. So what is the problem here? are the players not talented enough? Why isn't his iron-willed, defensive sexiness not rubbing off on these players?

...or, maybe...Rex is just a sh*tty, loud-mouthed, snake-oil selling fraud of a coach that can't get the most out of talented players? The win-loss record he has compiled over the course of his largely pathetic career would probably support that argument.

what do you think? did the players let the defensive genius down by not BUYING IN?

You think so? This argument is an interesting one:

Ryan isn’t Lombardi, but he has proven in the past that he can win when talented players buy in.

Buffalo had the most complete defense in the league - a dominant front, good pass-rushers and a good secondary. Any neutral observer would agree that Buffalo had a lot of talented players on this side of the ball. On paper, its arguably one of the most talented. Rex took this defense, which was top 3 in the league last year, and turned it into a ******* turnstile. They were struggling to take games into the 4th quarter against good teams. Buffalo's much vaunted defense conceded 27+ pts by the end of the 3rd quarter against every playoff-bound team they played against - the Patriots, the Bengals, Texans, Redskins, etc. - everybody lined up and got their punches in.

Strange, because the question-marks surrounding Buffalo in preseason had to do with the offense. They haven't been bad; in fact, its probably a better unit in pts per game compared to last year. The talented players though; the ones on defense; have underachieved big time, and this is the major cause of their struggles. Rex proudly proclaimed that his team would have the best defense in the league when he took the job. So what is the problem here? are the players not talented enough? Why isn't his iron-willed, defensive sexiness not rubbing off on these players?

...or, maybe...Rex is just a sh*tty, loud-mouthed, snake-oil selling fraud of a coach that can't get the most out of talented players? The win-loss record he has compiled over the course of his largely pathetic career would probably support that argument.

what do you think? did the players let the defensive genius down by not BUYING IN?

2015 JN Captain. 

The only reason we had a "pencil pusher masquerading as a GM" in the first place was because nobody wants to work with Rex. So, unless you were going to make Rex GM, he doesn't have this particular Jets team to coach. Rex the GM would have signed Ndamukong Suh and Tyrod Taylor. Fitzpatrick never gets here. Brandon Marshall never gets here. Quite simply the dumbest hypothetical I've ever seen posited. Next up from Manish: If Ernest Hemingway Wrote My Articles For Me, I'd Win a Pulitzer.

I myself have always felt Hemingway overrated now Norman Mailer ........ :)

So weird the pro genites just want us all to move on when the beat reporters still waving Geno flag. It will be like pourin water on sea monkeys the second fitz slips up. We will see who cares more about their little egos than jets victory when the genoids come out to gloat after next jets loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So weird the pro genites just want us all to move on when the beat reporters still waving Geno flag. It will be like pourin water on sea monkeys the second fitz slips up. We will see who cares more about their little egos than jets victory when the genoids come out to gloat after next jets loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully and God willing that wont happen until next year!!! :)

At the beginning of the season, which would be the context for setting expectations based on the talent a coach has been handed, both rosters were deemed "without a true QB". Tyrod, Cassel and EJ were looked at as a likely equivalent to whatever we'd get from Geno and Fitz, by most people. So, counting QB or not, is irrelevant... unless you're looking at it in hindsight.

Rex was handed a Buffalo roster that many would argue was top-to-bottom better than the Jets roster, at the beginning of the season. Some argued the Bills had enough talent there to compete with NE for the division title. Yet some people will take Manish's bait and run with the idea that Rex would make the playoffs with this Jets roster. 

Anyway, I agree... I hope we bring pain in every phase of the game. Kill their offense, embarrass their defense, and not **** up on specials. 

Don't forget that the Jets were going to start Geno Smith.  

And perhaps Fitzpatrick just needed a stable situation with a solid roster.  Tennessee and Houston were going through a transitional phase and he was never going to get a real shot in either place.  If you watch the guy play game after game, it's pretty clear that, with the exception of his arm strength, he is above average in all aspects of the game.  The only time he ever really screws up is when his arm can't do something that his brain wants him to do.  He is tremendous at reading defenses, moving in the pocket, knowing when to take off, and going through his progressions.

The Bills do have a nice roster.  I can't see any team with Tyrod Taylor being much of a threat, however  He can only make one read and if his first read isn't open, he panics.  You'll notice that, in the first game, when the Jets got on him quickly, he panicked and didn't know what to do.  

I don't expect either offense to do much, much like the first game.  Even though Fitzpatrick struggles against Rex's defense, I would that he would be able to make a play or two more than Taylor.  Watkins is tremendous, but Taylor doesn't get him the ball enough.  McCoy's running style could give the Jets problems, but he's out.

During the middle of the season Bowles explained that the offense was becoming too complicated and we needed to go back to basics. Shortly after our offense takes off and here we are.

In 2009, Sanchez was seriously struggling and Rex gives him a color system. Sanchez continues to struggle. 

Rex should be given a ton of credit for our 2009 and 2010 runs. Those defenses were top notch and we all had some fun times. However, I think Bowles has a better grasp at both sides of the ball and this should benefit us in the long run.  

During the middle of the season Bowles explained that the offense was becoming too complicated and we needed to go back to basics. Shortly after our offense takes off and here we are.

In 2009, Sanchez was seriously struggling and Rex gives him a color system. Sanchez continues to struggle. 

Rex should be given a ton of credit for our 2009 and 2010 runs. Those defenses were top notch and we all had some fun times. However, I think Bowles has a better grasp at both sides of the ball and this should benefit us in the long run.  

Ditto on that Rat...:)

Don't forget that the Jets were going to start Geno Smith.  

And perhaps Fitzpatrick just needed a stable situation with a solid roster.  Tennessee and Houston were going through a transitional phase and he was never going to get a real shot in either place.  If you watch the guy play game after game, it's pretty clear that, with the exception of his arm strength, he is above average in all aspects of the game.  The only time he ever really screws up is when his arm can't do something that his brain wants him to do.  He is tremendous at reading defenses, moving in the pocket, knowing when to take off, and going through his progressions.

The Bills do have a nice roster.  I can't see any team with Tyrod Taylor being much of a threat, however  He can only make one read and if his first read isn't open, he panics.  You'll notice that, in the first game, when the Jets got on him quickly, he panicked and didn't know what to do.  

I don't expect either offense to do much, much like the first game.  Even though Fitzpatrick struggles against Rex's defense, I would that he would be able to make a play or two more than Taylor.  Watkins is tremendous, but Taylor doesn't get him the ball enough.  McCoy's running style could give the Jets problems, but he's out.

Karlos Williams scares me more than McCoy.

I don't know what the Jets originally saying Geno would start has to do with my initial comment about the way the rosters compared.

Archived