Why are they the S.O.J?

Ex-Rex

Do you know what anomaly means?

SOJ isn't something you buy into like voodoo... it's a descriptor for when the Jets have a chance to change the way everyone thinks of them, and fail to do it. For example, with yesterday...

Before the game: "I can't believe it, the Jets just won 5 straight games, and are on the cusp of the playoffs. They just have to beat Rex, their old coach, whose teams usually quit on him by now, and have nothing to play for.

After the game: "The Jets did what they always do. They choked, they don't make the playoffs and to make it worse, they let Rex be the one that stopped them."

Living up to a reputation of shame and disappointment isn't some "nonsense" that you buy into. It just is what it is... it's the Jets. Their actions define them.

Not really, you know this is Rex's specialty.  Come out in a game with no reason to win and motivate/will his team to the upset.  If there was a game next week you know they would come out unprepared, flat and lose...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way we lost to Rex in the first matchup this year, was a SOJ loss. 

SOJ is absolutely a fan "creation". It's the banner we, as Jet fans, march beneath whether we accept it or not.

No, no, no.  It a banner that SOJFs fly and revel in.

I don't believe in SOJ.  Everyone can make their own choice. 

Other than just about every NFL team can point to at least one season that was destroyed by injury.  Happens, not just to us.  Otherwise SOJ could be SOD, the fins with that gimpy armed QB were destroyed a week later in a manner that would have had Jets fans saying SOJ

People can make excuses in order for things not to be what they are. We can say year after year that things are not "SOJ" while pointing to AFCCG's that happened a half decade ago while headed by a QB that this fanbase hates. 

I've been a Jets fan long enough to identify what "SOJ" looks like. To debate it is just trying to change someone elses opinion. Beating the Pats and having the Steelers take such an improbable loss JUST for this Bills game to have that much more importance once again shows the "SOJ" in this story. 

I can go on for days. I can talk about Fitz having the season that he had overall and how the fanbase got behind it while cursing the "INT machine" Geno to the depths of football hell only for Fitz to literally end the season throwing 3 picks in the last 3 drives. Some would say "It really wasnt his fault", and im not saying that it was all his fault nor am I picking on Fitz, but if you look at Fitz stats yesterday and Fitz stats from the first time we seen the Bills they are virtually the same. Add to the fact that the Bills actually dropped 3 potential INT's. Literally "SOJ" stuff. If it's not the "Ironman" getting hurt in order for "Noodle arm" with numerous surgeries to end our season, then its " BeardedMagic" looking like an "Interception machine" to end the season. 

You just cant make it up, and its stuff like this that the Jets seem to never be able to overome that makes this "SOJ" worthy. 

People can make excuses in order for things not to be what they are. We can say year after year that things are not "SOJ" while pointing to AFCCG's that happened a half decade ago with headed by a QB that this fanbase hates. 

I've been a Jets fan long enough to identify what "SOJ" looks like. To debate it is just trying to change someone elses opinion. Beating the Pats and having the Steelers take such an improbable loss JUST for this Bills game to have that much more importance once again shows the "SOJ" in this story. 

I can go on for days. I can talk about Fitz having the season that he had overall and how the fanbase got behind it while cursing the INT machines Geno to the depths of football hell only for Fitz to literally end the season throwing 3 picks in the last 3 drives. Some would say "It really wasnt his fault", and im not saying that it was all his fault nor am I picking on Fitz, but if you look at Fitz stats yesterday and Fitz stats from the first time we seen the Bills they are virtually the same. Add to the fact that the Bills actually dropped 3 potential INT's. Literally "SOJ" stuff. If it's not for "Ironman" getting hurt in order for "Noodle arm" to end our season, its "Magic" looking like and "Interception machine" to end the season. 

You just cant make it up. 

Exactly.

Anyway, I'm realizing that trying to acquaint "jet fans" with what is actually the legacy of this team... is a SOJ endeavor for me to have taken on. 

I don't really give a **** if these guys get it.

It is what it is, yesterday was one of the Same Ol' Jets-iest SOJ games I've ever sat through. Those ****s are taking years off our lives.

People can make excuses in order for things not to be what they are. We can say year after year that things are not "SOJ" while pointing to AFCCG's that happened a half decade ago with headed by a QB that this fanbase hates. 

I can go on for days. I can talk about Fitz having the season that he had overall and how the fanbase got behind it while cursing the INT machines Geno to the depths of football hell only for Fitz to literally end the season throwing 3 picks in the last 3 drives. Some would say "It really wasnt his fault", and im not saying that it was all his fault nor am I picking on Fitz, but if you look at Fitz stats yesterday and Fitz stats from the first time we seen the Bills they are virtually the same. Add to the fact that the Bills actually dropped 3 potential INT's. Literally "SOJ" stuff. If it's not for "Ironman" getting hurt in order for "Noodle arm" to end our season, its "Magic" looking like and "Interception machine" to end the season. 

You just cant make it up. 

I'll bet I've been a Jets fan at least as long as you and have been a STH longer than most have been fans here.  And I remember SOJs and this isnt SOJ.

Unless the season was going to end in a SB win the SOJ contingent were going to claim SOJ at some point of this season.  

As I said, if they lost yesterday and the Steelers also lost putting us in the playoffs we would be the same exact team except we wouldnt call the Jets SOJs.  At least not for another week

I'll bet I've been a Jets fan at least as long as you and have been a STH longer than most have been fans here.  And I remember SOJs and this isnt SOJ.

Unless the season was going to end in a SB win the SOJ contingent were going to claim SOJ.  

As I said, if they lost yesterday and the Steelers also lost putting us in the playoffs we would be the same exact team except we wouldnt call the Jets SOJs for another week

ok. 

LOL

Hey, last week I said they had to show me they could beat the Patriots. And they did. That's the way.

SOJ is for losers who are unwilling to say that the team wasnt good enough, They were good this year, but not good enough.

I also believe that SOJ is not just the team on the field, it's the organization, which was the more stable of the football organizations in NY.

If anything the Giants were more SOJ than the Jets.

Hey, last week I said they had to show me they could beat the Patriots. And they did. That's the way.

SOJ is for losers who are unwilling to say that the team wasnt good enough, They were good this year, but not good enough.

No, they lost, it's a given that they weren't good enough... that's why they lost. What a stupid attempt at insight.

SOJ is an articulation of elevated hope that has crashed into "not good enough" in the worst possible circumstance.

Nobody is denying the wins, those are anomalies. I've already explained this. This franchise is defined by years of perpetually ripping the heart out of their fans, not because they missed the SB, but because they build hope, then tear it down.

So, no, SOJ doesn't mean "they didn't win the SB". Nobody really ever uses it in that context. Mid-season games, where they ******* screw the pooch and people say, "damn, that was a SOJ performance" they are not lamenting that we didn't win the SB mid-season. Your definition is inaccurate.

You're entitled to think about it however you want, but I'm telling you flat out, your understanding of it is a gross misunderstanding. So, you could either consider what I'm saying and maybe try and understand it... or you can continue to crash into me with hypothetical rebuttals that ignore what actually happens in these SOJ games.

Either way, I'm glad you are trying to be positive about it... 

Although I see your point, I disagree with it.  Of course, just because you and I disagree doesn't mean I am wrong or a gross misunderstanding.

It seems to me you are saying that SOJ is that they build hope and then let you down.  I agree, but in this case I don't think it is SOJ.  

My point is that many had an unrealistic (or even a gross misunderstanding) on how good this team is.  Many thought this game would go to Buffalo.  Many were nervous about it. So while the loss was bad and it was gut wrenching and 'ripped my heart' out, I don't think it is SOJ.

SOJ would be them getting blown out by the Titans to loose out in the playoffs.  It seems to me, the only reason to call them the SOJ is that built up hope for a playoff run or SB run, and let the fans down.  I would argue that they weren't that good to begin with, and although I enjoyed the season, the ride, and was heart-broken about that loss, I don't think that it was a SOJ type of loss. It started out that way, but this team never gave up and fought through the whole game.  Bowels is just too inexperienced to come back; they just weren't good enough without Ivory/Powell to overcome, etc.

It would have been great to beat up on the Bills and roll into the playoffs. I thought they had a chance to win, even with 20 seconds to go.  It just didn't happen.  Therefore, the problem was the 'built hope' as an unrealistic expectation on the team.  Doesn't sound like SOJ to me, but more like SOJF. 

No, they lost, it's a given that they weren't good enough... that's why they lost. What a stupid attempt at insight.

SOJ is an articulation of elevated hope that has crashed into "not good enough" in the worst possible circumstance.

Then don't have elevated hope. Nip it in the bud. SOJ is created by the fans, not the team.

That's actually incorrect.  Yesterday's loss was one of a kind.  A loss that no other team in the history of the NFL has had happen.

NFL network said yesterday morning that it was the first time in league history that a head coach had a chance to knock his former employer out of the playoffs one year after being fired by them.  That's the kind of stuff people are referring to when they say SOJ.

Much like the loss at NE last season when they became the only team in NFL history to lose a game in which they rushed for 250+ yards, had the ball for 40+ minutes and no turnovers.

However...at least we're not Browns fans?

https://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2wHflVfLtdDpyE/giphy.gif

Unless the season was going to end in a SB win the SOJ contingent were going to claim SOJ at some point of this season.  

As I said, if they lost yesterday and the Steelers also lost putting us in the playoffs we would be the same exact team except we wouldnt call the Jets SOJs.  At least not for another week

I disagree completely.

Jet beat Buffalo, get into the playoffs, and lose a respectable (i.e. not grossly below our talent level performance) game vs. a Superior team, that's not SOJ, thats just losing.

If the Jets are up 21 in the third quarter in the above situation, and suddely sh*t the bed, allow 31 uncontested points, 4 turnovers and 10 penalties, THATS Same Old Jets.

If you've been a fan as long as you say, and I believe you on that, I'm amazed you don't see the SOJ moniker for what it represents.  It's not losing, it's losing in a special, heartbreaking, often insane, manner in the face of all odds that say we should win.

I disagree completely.

Jet beat Buffalo, get into the playoffs, and lose a respectable (i.e. not grossly below our talent level performance) game vs. a Superior team, that's not SOJ, thats just losing.

If the Jets are up 21 in the third quarter in the above situation, and suddely sh*t the bed, allow 31 uncontested points, 4 turnovers and 10 penalties, THATS Same Old Jets.

If you've been a fan as long as you say, and I believe you on that, I'm amazed you don't see the SOJ moniker for what it represents.  It's not losing, it's losing in a special, heartbreaking, often insane, manner in the face of all odds that say we should win.

I dont see it because this is the first loss like this in decades.  Every bad loss cant open a cry of SOJ

Then don't have elevated hope. Nip it in the bud. SOJ is created by the fans, not the team.

Not made up completely, I remember the 'good old days'

Winning 3 games in two seasons - SOJ

Getting the number one pick to only have Blair Thomas on the top of the heap and drafting him to a coach that didn't want a feature back - SOJ

Firing a promising (but not great HC - who is now HC of Seattle) just to not loose out on a terrible Eagles retread - SOJ

Winning the last game of the season to loose out on the LT sweepstakes - SOJ

Herm playing  a safety with a concussion at the end of the last game of the season for the win to get him a job at KC and drop us down in the draft - SOJ

Manning staying a year when the Jets were likely to have the #1 pick - SOJ

Having the 6th pick in the draft in the last no-rookie contract year just to have only the GHost waiting for you - SOJ

Trading Riggins to the Redskins (or letting him walk - can't remember) because you half of season HC doesn't like his MoHawk - SOJ

Not showing up for the first half of the AFC game against the Steelers - SOJ

Missing two field goals and the end of the game against Steelers to not advance to the Playoffs - SOJ

These are real... I just don't think this loss is the same...

I disagree completely.

The only thing that makes this remotely SOJ is Rex.

Bills were not a horrible team, they were 7-8. 

They were at home in bad weather

Both teams came in injured.

The only thing that makes this remotely SOJ is Rex.

Bills were not a horrible team, they were 7-8. 

They were at home in bad weather

Both teams came in injured.

The Rex thing makes it hurt more, but not sure that make SOJ.  Rex is better when nothing on the line as he doesn't get overly conservative.

Now, had we wanted to keep Rex, but he quit and went to the Bills and the Bills went on to win the Super Bowl, that would be SOJ 

That's actually incorrect.  Yesterday's loss was one of a kind.  A loss that no other team in the history of the NFL has had happen.

NFL network said yesterday morning that it was the first time in league history that a head coach had a chance to knock his former employer out of the playoffs one year after being fired by them.  That's the kind of stuff people are referring to when they say SOJ.

Much like the loss at NE last season when they became the only team in NFL history to lose a game in which they rushed for 250+ yards, had the ball for 40+ minutes and no turnovers.

However...at least we're not Browns fans?

You're so likable but then you post stuff that makes me want to punch you.

to me SOJ isn't getting blown out by 30 and going 5-11, its keeping it close, giving you hope, then kicking you in the dick

yesterday was as SOJ a game as you will ever see

98 in denver and 97 in detroit being other SOJ kick you in the dick specials

to me SOJ isn't getting blown out by 30 and going 5-11, its keeping it close, giving you hope, then kicking you in the dick

In the 70s and 90s it was. 

BTW. they weren't going to win in 1998. 10-0 lead at half? Please.

Championship games were a half decade ago bro. During that time we've gone through 2 GM's, 2 HC's, numerous OC's, DC's etc. 

Don't get your point. SOJ was in full flight pre-Parcells so I am not sure what your point about going through GM's etc means.

People can make excuses in order for things not to be what they are. We can say year after year that things are not "SOJ" while pointing to AFCCG's that happened a half decade ago while headed by a QB that this fanbase hates. 

I can go on for days. I can talk about Fitz having the season that he had overall and how the fanbase got behind it while cursing the "INT machine" Geno to the depths of football hell only for Fitz to literally end the season throwing 3 picks in the last 3 drives. Some would say "It really wasnt his fault", and im not saying that it was all his fault nor am I picking on Fitz, but if you look at Fitz stats yesterday and Fitz stats from the first time we seen the Bills they are virtually the same. Add to the fact that the Bills actually dropped 3 potential INT's. Literally "SOJ" stuff. If it's not the "Ironman" getting hurt in order for "Noodle arm" with numerous surgeries to end our season, then its " BeardedMagic" looking like an "Interception machine" to end the season. 

You just cant make it up, and its stuff like this that the Jets seem to never be able to overome that makes this "SOJ" worthy. 

What makes the SOJ label stick is the fans and media's refusal to give it up. For every "SOJ" loss you can cite I can reference examples that counter SOJ - winning in Oakland on last second FG under Herm to make playoffs. Winning in Miami to make playoffs under Mangini. Winning a playoff game in SD under Herm because of a missed FG by San Diego. Beating the Pats in Foxboro to advance to AFC championship. Having a crazy scenario whereby we need NE to beat Miami in the last week of the season -- that happens and then we blow the doors off of the Packers with Favre.

It is hilarious how SOJF's simply cite negative instances about when the Jets screw up but do not even acknowledge all of the examples that run counter to SOJ. Bad losses happen to organizations almost every week in every season.

The Browns never won a Bowl then the team move to Baltimore in 1996 and have won 2 bowls since they moved and you think we are cursed??

yes, I do. What could have gone wrong yesterday did go wrong. from Revis possibly having his worst game ever, to a shank punt, a missed fg, dropped passes.... then Fitzy  throws 3 into in the fourth quarter. And with all that going on, if Thompins makes that catch, we'd win. If he were in a pats jersey  yesterday he'd  probably make that catch and they would be erecting a statue in his honor in Beantown today....yeah we're cursed but I'm still grateful that we aren't as bad as the brownies.

well then it's from the elevated hope of fans who don't understand what they're watching.  Because to really believe that this team was going to make a real run takes them either the ultimate homer or I don't know what. 

So what you're saying is when some fans hopes and dreams crash they don't have the nut sack to admit they got it wrong so blame it on SOJ? 

yes, I do. What could have gone wrong yesterday did go wrong. from Revis possibly having his worst game ever, to a shank punt, a missed fg, dropped passes.... then Fitzy  throws 3 into in the fourth quarter. And with all that going on, if Thompins makes that catch, we'd win. If he were in a pats jersey  yesterday he'd  probably make that catch and they would be erecting a statue in his honor in Beantown today....yeah we're cursed but I'm still grateful that we aren't as bad as the brownies.

Have you watched Detroit? 

Browns throughout their history? 

Cards SB loss?  Injuries at QB a year ago? 

How about all the other teams who have never won a SB? 

Wow.

rare moment, I literally have no words.

There really is nothing to say is there really?  It's an opinion.  SOJ isn't a fact.  I think we've been disappointing at times but since Parcells turned the team around we've come short but been pretty good a lot of the time.  Losing playoff games on the road where youre the decided underdog isn't SOJ.  It's just the way it is.  

I don't believe in SOJ.  But I am an overly optimistic person.  Some aren't.  No one is right or wrong, it's a made up concept on every level

LOL....I don't like the SOJ mentality, but I understand it..was just trying to help a fellow Jets fan understand it too :)

You're so likable but then you post stuff that makes me want to punch you.

04 divisional playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree completely.

Well put.... 

like a late hit by Gastieau

giving up 24 unanswered points in 2 AFC championships

having a 10 point lead in 98 AFC Champ and your HOF RB disappears

Beating the Colts  41 zip and following week crapping the bed to Oakland.

Dare I say in 81 losing to the bills after being down 21 points and coming back

Mud bowl

Fake spike

Losing 3 straight to end 2011

4 of 5 in 2008

Dare we bring up the draft misses????

well...that's just off the top of my head. 

Archived