2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and no sign of Rangers9:P.

Just maybe the FO knew what they were doing all along.

Best pitching staff in baseball and a pennant? Nah. Clueless front office. And don't expect the Wilpons to ever shell out coin for a power bat either.

Soooo many people who were wrong, so little time.

I am honestly shocked that they were willing to overpay in the short-term to land Cespedes.  Kudos to the Mets.  

He can opt out after next season and appears to have a no trade clause. Still, it's a win for Sandy and the team as it gives them their big bat for at least next season and also allows them to see what they have in Conforto and Lagares.

The sweet thing with the Mets is that they always have the ability to trade one of their stud SP's for a huge bat should Cespedes walk after just one season.  It would have been perfect if they had got the deal done without the no trade clause just in case they don't do as well as most think next season but can't complain.

The line-up approaches AL like one through 8 in the order and we have a talented super utility guy in Flores. The SP is elite and the pen has been firmed up nicely this off season while the middle infield also vastly improved.

Puts us right back as the favorites along with the Cubs to return to the WS.

Best pitching staff in baseball and a pennant? Nah. Clueless front office. And don't expect the Wilpons to ever shell out coin for a power bat either.

Soooo many people who were wrong, so little time.

Clueless is the operative word.

Thankfully I came in late on the 2016 thread and I missed most of that horse sh*t.

Mind boggling dumb sh*t in a baseball sense, lol

Kudos to Sandy Alderson! Here Here!! smileys-cheers-641856.gif

On another note $27.5 million is insane. 

Not sure if you watch SNY but I feel bad for I think it's Sal Licata who was screaming for weeks that Mets fans needed to move on as there was zero chance of a deal happening.  The 27.5 is insane but it's better than complaining about some of the foolish long term contracts we see in place over in the Bronx.  I think Sandy's approach is he'll address the big bat a season at a time if need be unless someone from the system emerges to fill that roll.  

Not sure if you watch SNY but I feel bad for I think it's Sal Licata who was screaming for weeks that Mets fans needed to move on as there was zero chance of a deal happening.  The 27.5 is insane but it's better than complaining about some of the foolish long term contracts we see in place over in the Bronx.  I think Sandy's approach is he'll address the big bat a season at a time if need be unless someone from the system emerges to fill that roll.  

Oh sure. I'm a huge fan of the deal. It's just nuts that he's going to make that much money for one year. Couldn't have been easy saying no to DC's deal, but for one season that's a ton. He'll be top ten in salary for next year with that.

Well done Sandy, Fred & Jeff! I'm one of your loudest critics (hoping the Wilpons sell the team).... but for the next couple of months I'll give you a pass.

You did what was in the best interest of the team and your loyal fans. Met nation will reward you with fans in the seats!

Add to this the hightened energy in the club house. All the young players reading and hearing all that "$hit" being talked about. Now they know ownership has their backs and they have a top 10 lineup with a top 5 rotation. These boys will be fired up for camp!

Win/Win

Well as much as I have hated the Wilpons for not supporting this franchise kudos to bring the big bat we needed to solidify for next year. it will fun to watch this team. Players actually want to play for the Mets

Most teams try to get the short term deal first and would obviously prefer it....But the market is too great for top players and teams have no choice but to go 6-7 years...Ces is easly a 25 mil a year guy but teams were scared of 6-7 years because he's a firecracker. 3 year deal for this type of production is an insane win for the Mets, regardless of the dollar amount..If every player would agree to A 3 year deal, we'd have guys making 40 mil per..At one point in the future, we are going to trade one or 2 of our pitchers for some stud young bats. So its important to not have guys locked up tong term when we have a billion dollar pitching staff to sign..

So glad to have Yo back in the fold.  I am scratching my head at the people who have "concerns" over the guy.  I'm not expecting him to hit like he did those first 2 months here but he still will be a presence in our lineup that we BADLY needed.  I'll take .265 with 30 HRs.  And even if people's concerns about the guy do turn out to be valid (and I'm not in that group), it's not like we signed him for 5+ years.  In other words, he can't hurt us long-term.  The only way this goes bad is if he has a great year, opts-out and then we sign him for an A-Rod type deal that he goes bust on.  But I don't think SA would sign him to the A-Rod deal anyway.  And A-Rod actually didn't do that badly either.

We need to win a WS while we have all these pitchers under control. Then its not as bad if we have to trade some of them close to their walk year..You can also trade one of them for some cant miss, not ready yet minor league pitchers...A's where competitive like this for a while.. Same with the Rays and these 2 never spent money on bats..We might be cheap but not as much as the Rays and A's.. Our pitching staff is insane and it will keep us competitive for a long time even if we have to trade some because they will bring back top level cant miss talent.

So glad to have Yo back in the fold.  I am scratching my head at the people who have "concerns" over the guy.  I'm not expecting him to hit like he did those first 2 months here but he still will be a presence in our lineup that we BADLY needed.  I'll take .265 with 30 HRs.  And even if people's concerns about the guy do turn out to be valid (and I'm not in that group), it's not like we signed him for 5+ years.  In other words, he can't hurt us long-term.  The only way this goes bad is if he has a great year, opts-out and then we sign him for an A-Rod type deal that he goes bust on.  But I don't think SA would sign him to the A-Rod deal anyway.  And A-Rod actually didn't do that badly either.

Excellent post.

Yeah we have to temper our expectations a little as you note. The guy never had a season like his last one during his 4 years in the majors and we could very well get the 22HR- 85 RBI guy who misses 15 or so games due to injury which is good enough BTW.  That's partly why Sandy's deal is so impressive right now. Cespedes Has every reason to be motivated and if he is a bust due to injury, performance or whatever..... we're done with him in 3 years. 

I heard Terry say that there are zero restrictions on the SP's this coming season although I imagine that Wheeler if/when he returns would have some.

Should be a fun season.

So our 2016 roster compared to our opening day 2015 roster is just stunning in the differences.

Cespedes, Conforto and Da Aza in the OF, with Nimmo coming in a few months. Upgraded middle infield in defense, contact hitting and depth, with Herrera coming in a few months. Matz in the rotation, with Wheeler coming in a couple months. Strengthened bullpen. We also will have 2 first round picks in June, thanks to the stupid Nationals (who Bastardo OWNS, by the way).

Sandy is the man.

Mets ownership just put the team in a good position to compete this season, There will be 5 good outfielders playing 3 positions and when you're playing 162 they all will get on the field substantially.  It also helps the other players like Wright having a guy like him in the lineup that other teams might sometimes try to pitch around. They will all get more good pitches to hit like they did last summer. Whatever the reason they pulled the trigger on this deal, I give them credit for making this happen. I think not out of the kindness of their hearts but due to pressure from the fans and media. Similar to last summer when it was obvious that the pitching wasn't enough for them to make the playoffs And similar imo to Woody signing Revis. As for the 27.5 for one season if he opts out I guess that was something Yo's agent worked into the deal. The Mets did not match the Wash 100 mil deal (5 years) which on a per season basis is more economical. They were looking for total financial obligation: they'd rather pay him 75 for 3 years in his prime and forgo the last 2 years at a bargain rate. So at most they pay him 27.5 or 75. He probably only accepted the Mets offer because they overpaid for the years on his deal. 

Mets ownership just put the Mets in a good position to compete this season, There will be 4 good outfielders playing 3 positions and when you're playing 162 they all will get on the field substantially.  It also helps the other players like Wright having a guy like him in the lineup that other teams might sometimes try to pitch around. They will all get more good pitches to hit like they did last summer. Whatever the reason they pulled the trigger on this deal, I give them credit for making this happen. I think not out of the kindness of their hearts but due to pressure from the fans and media. Similar to last summer when it was obvious that the pitching wasn't enough for them to make the playoffs And similar imo to Woody signing Revis. As for the 27.5 for one season if he opts out I guess that was something Yo's agent worked into the deal. The Mets did not match the Wash 100 mil deal (5 years) which on a per season basis is more economical. They were looking for total financial obligation: they'd rather pay him 75 for 3 years in his prime and forgo the last 2 years at a bargain rate. So at most they pay him 27.5 or 75. He probably only accepted the Mets offer because they overpaid for the years on his deal. 

Yep. I'm very glad they didn't cave into giving him 5-6 years. This works out great. They found a compromise that works for the team, Ces, and the fans. Hard to find any fault with that.

It's crazy money, but it's a one year deal.  Buys you time to see if anyone from the farm can come up.  You are saving money with your uber cheap, young rotation.  Plus, he should be very motivated as he's going to want to prove he deserves 150+ on the market next year.

I'd much rather over pay for one year, then get a better per year deal on a 5-6 year deal.

I am pumped for April. This team is better in every area. Even in the bullpen, where it's still as thin as last year but I'll certainly take Bastardo over Clippard. I'll stay on the optimistic side for guys like Blevins and Mejia, but I won't be shocked if they don't work out. Maybe they figure something out with Montero or Colon in the bullpen too, who knows. End of the day, if they need fo acquire someone, trading for good middle relief around the trade deadline is one of the more easier things to land around that time of year, so I don't think it's that problematic.

Grand slam offseason by Alderson, he played the long game and did it ever pay off. The Mets have made some great moves the past year and a half but this one just feels different. Like a final piece of the puzzle-type move for making a serious run again.

Man, is the NL going to be incredibly fun to watch this year or what? There are at least two teams per division that have good enough rosters to win a pennant. Literally almost every game every night is going to matter, that's how tight these races are going to be from the get-go. And we have as good a team as any of them, actually one of the best given our pitching. Bring on the Nats, bring on the Cards, bring on the Pirates and D-Backs and Giants and Dodgers, and of course bring on the Cubs. Let's do this.

Isn't Josh Edgin coming back, too. Not sure if he will be ready for the beginning of the season but he would give us another pretty good left hander out of the bullpen. That's why I was kind of surprised they signed Bastardo. If these bullpen chips like Edgin, Blevins and Mejia come back to form we have a great bullpen. And guys who could step in to close if any injury to our guy, Familia. I'd like to see them get a little more bench strangth, maybe re-sign Uribe. I thought the best guy to re-sign (and the cheapest) would have been Kelly Johnson but he went back to the Braves.

So here to me is the bottom line for the 2016 Mets: on paper we have the starting pitching to get us to at least the 7th inning with a lead or allowing 3 runs or under. And we have the bullpen to consistently keep a lead and give us big stats on holding onto a lead late into a game. The closer is one of the best in baseball. We have the offense to be competitive and score runs. In other words we can take advantage of our pitching because there are bonafide bats in the lineup. We also have depth esp on the pitching staff with guys like Wheeler eventually coming back.  And that's all you can ask for an organization to give you. Plus we have a good manager. A guy who relates to the players, someone who they respect. OK we are sometimes perplexed by his moves but you can say that for any manager. We should this season be the favorite to win the NL East. Even though Wash is pretty good and should have an improved year. And they have a better manager than they did last season in Dusty Baker. 

It's crazy money, but it's a one year deal.  Buys you time to see if anyone from the farm can come up.  You are saving money with your uber cheap, young rotation.  Plus, he should be very motivated as he's going to want to prove he deserves 150+ on the market next year.

I'd much rather over pay for one year, then get a better per year deal on a 5-6 year deal.

100%. A long term deal would have meant bye to deGrom or Thor. I've accepted the fact that we'll be moving Harvey either next year or the year after, but if the Mets are willing to have a payroll at the threshold that 2016 is going to be, we will definitely be able to keep Thor and deGrom locked up to long term deals.

Archived