Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

Another viable possibility gone:

Matt Moore - QB -  Dolphins

Dolphins re-signed QB Matt Moore to a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

Neither side seemed particularly keen on a reunion, but each struck out in their pursuit of an upgrade. Moore has spent the past five years in Miami, and will be holding Ryan Tannehill's clipboard for the fifth straight season in 2016. Tannehill is extremely durable, leaving Moore little opportunity to get on the field. Moore turns 32 in August.

Mar 15 - 7:11 P

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think (or hope) that lesson is not lost on Maccagnan this time around. 

I don't blame it all on Mac. I think the owner pushed him on the Revis signing. If so he again put his own franchise in a hole. But I think Mac and Bowles know what they're doing and work well together. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't blame it all on Mac. I think the owner pushed him on the Revis signing. If so he again put his own franchise in a hole. But I think Mac and Bowles know what they're doing and work well together. 

Appears so. They don't seem to be on the same page re Fitz, though. 

fitz would be a fool to sign with the jets with denver still looking for a QB.  The jets would be fools to give cut brick to give him a big contract

so we wait

the 9ers have until april 1st to squeeze out more for kaep, that's when his money becomes fully guaranteed

this will all probably come to a head after easter

Ryan Fitzpatrick situation still  quiet

The Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrickcontinue to be locked in a stare down, more than eight days since the free-agency period opened. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, nothing is currently happening.

The Jets have offered Fitzpatrick backup money, and they’ve yet to increase the offer. The Broncos have shown interest, but not nearly enough to get anything done.The logjam continues to be Colin Kaepernick. Until his situation is resolved in San Francisco, the other dominoes likely aren’t falling. And Fitzpatrick is one of the biggest dominoes left.

Fitzpatrick has spent the last four years with four different teams, but he had career highs last season in yards and touchdowns, with 3,905 and 31, respectively.The Jets surely believe that Fitzpatrick won’t be signing elsewhere. It’s a gamble that could end up with the Jets using Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, or looking for someone else for 2016.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/17/ryan-fitzpatrick-situation-still-quiet/

Hmmmm....where have I heard this theory before?  I knew there had to be more than a handful of people who could figure it out.

The question was posed innocently enough. Seriously, I was the one that asked it. After going over the likes of Geno SmithRyan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty at his end-of-year press conference, Jets coach Todd Bowles turned to the 2016 season.

“You want Fitzpatrick back, but if he comes back, will he be the star…”

“If he returns,” Bowles interjected, “He’ll be the starting quarterback.”

And those eight words are exactly why the Jets are where they are now.

A week has now come and gone since the new league year began, and teams started throwing money left right and sideways at this year’s crop of unrestricted free agents. Mega-money deals were inked (seriously, Olivier Vernon is now one of the NFL’s highest-paid players), other big name stars were traded (Chandler Jones).

But all the while, the Jets, and their record-breaking quarterback from 2015, have sat at opposites sides of the table, not saying a word, waiting to see who would break first and pass the salt.

An unrestricted free agent, Fitzpatrick is in need of a new contract, and is reportedly looking for $15 million a year.

The Jets, in need of a quarterback, are offering a measly $8-$9 million a year.

Fitzpatrick won’t come down from his figure. The Jets won’t come up from theirs.

The result is an ongoing pissing match between two sides that are better together than apart. A high school lovers’ quarrel that is more frustrating and agonizing with the script of a box-office flop, than a five-star romantic comedy.

And you know what? The Jets are the ones to blame for it all. Every bit of it.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Hmmmm....where have I heard this theory before?  I knew there had to be more than a handful of people who could figure it out.

The question was posed innocently enough. Seriously, I was the one that asked it. After going over the likes of Geno SmithRyan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty at his end-of-year press conference, Jets coach Todd Bowles turned to the 2016 season.

A week has now come and gone since the new league year began, and teams started throwing money left right and sideways at this year’s crop of unrestricted free agents. Mega-money deals were inked (seriously, Olivier Vernon is now one of the NFL’s highest-paid players), other big name stars were traded (Chandler Jones).

But all the while, the Jets, and their record-breaking quarterback from 2015, have sat at opposites sides of the table, not saying a word, waiting to see who would break first and pass the salt.

An unrestricted free agent, Fitzpatrick is in need of a new contract, and is reportedly looking for $15 million a year.

Fitzpatrick won’t come down from his figure. The Jets won’t come up from theirs.

The result is an ongoing pissing match between two sides that are better together than apart. A high school lovers’ quarrel that is more frustrating and agonizing with the script of a box-office flop, than a five-star romantic comedy.

100% disagree. Even if he took it at face value, the market wasn't set yet. He didn't know he would have to pay 15 million dollars for him?

Connor Hughes is being an idiot. He wants to be Rich Cimini.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

100% disagree. Even if he took it at face value, the market wasn't set yet. He didn't know he would have to pay 15 million dollars for him?

Yes, because when somebody is hired to do a very specific job that comes with a very specific skill set that only a few people in the planet have, they'll jump at the chance to be paid 45% of what the average salary is for said job.  Happens all the time.

Substitute Rex for Bowles, and this thread would already have 200 posts. Bowles should've kept his mouth shut. He's almost certainly not the entire cause of this impass, but he's definitely influenced it. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Yes, because when somebody is hired to do a very specific job that comes with a very specific skill set that only a few people in the planet have, they'll jump at the chance to be paid 45% of what the average salary is for said job.  Happens all the time.

If Fitz's starting point was 10 million, the deal would have been done by now. I blame the Eagles and Texans for inflating the market and activating greed.

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

If...he...returns...

for $7 Million per, he'll be the starting quarterback.

I don't think anyone is disputing that.   

Is that what Bowles said?

Just now, slats said:

Substitute Rex for Bowles, and this thread would already have 200 posts. Bowles should've kept his mouth shut. He almost certainly not the entire cause of this impass, but he's definitely influenced it. 

I disagree. Everyone knew he was going to be the starter next year if he resigned, regardless of what Bowles said. How couldn't they?

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Not to mention that the alternative to what Hughes is proposing is just as idiotic. 

Let's pretend Bowles said 'If he returns, he'll have to compete for the starting job'

In Hughes' theory that would then mean Fitz would be willing to come back for backup money?

The Jets took a chance and let the market dictate the interest/price for Fitz. It seems more and more every day that they were right. Now it just comes down to Fitz and his half wit agent to come down on their demands. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Substitute Rex for Bowles, and this thread would already have 200 posts. Bowles should've kept his mouth shut. He's almost certainly not the entire cause of this impass, but he's definitely influenced it. 

Rex offered his personal opinion on where a player ranked vs his peers.  

Bowles promised a player a starting job at a position that earns a specific dollar amount.

Hugely different scenarios, yet one was the reason for a holdout, and the other had no impact on a contract negotiation...lol

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I am not even sure Rex knew that the Jets had an actual position called quarterback.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

How so?  Even at $8-$9M, that's starter money for our situation.  No one (other than a select few) is operating under any delusion that Geno/Petty are who this franchise want to roll with in 2016.  Neither of those guys are starters.  Geno is a backup and Petty is a project.  Everyone knows this.  It has zero influence. 

And the thing is, Rex publicly supporting his players was one of the things I cared about the least during his tenure here.  The Head Coach is allowed to be seen as the "Good Cop", whereas the Front Office is almost always the "Bad Cop", treating everything purely as a business.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree. Everyone knew he was going to be the starter next year if he resigned, regardless of what Bowles said. How couldn't they?

How did "everyone know" if he got the job by default?  The guy who was ahead of him on the depth chart before IK struck wasn't gonna get a chance to beat out a noodle-armed journeyman who was only productive due to SOS?  It was that obvious?

Just now, AFJF said:

How did "everyone know" if he got the job by default?  The guy who was ahead of him on the depth chart before IK struck wasn't gonna get a chance to beat out a noodle-armed journeyman who was only productive due to SOS?  It was that obvious?

He set the Jets record for TD's thrown in a season. It would have had to have been total SOJ if he wasn't the starter.

Actually as I think about it, in hindsight, it would have been a total DISADVANTAGE to us if he DIDN'T say it. 

Fitz would still be looking for the money and a starting job, no matter what Todd Bowles said, based on his numbers. 

If we didn't promise him the starting job, he wouldn't even consider us.

Logic dictates it.

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The HUGE piece that you are choosing to ignore, is that Bowles said "IF he comes back, he will be the starter".

Do you see Fitz going after any back-up jobs in his search.

Mountains out of molehills here.

"And you know what? The Jets are the ones to blame for it all. Every bit of it. "

Wut?

The bolded statement just killed any and all points this dude may have made.  Who is to blame?  Houston, Philadelphia and any other team that is paying totally unproven or jag QBs gobs of money.

The Jets are not to blame, Fitzpatrick is not to blame.  If the derp teams had not made these idiotic payouts then Fitz and the Jets would have a contract done based on a lower end NFL starter.  Or at the very least they would be much closer.  Dumb teams set an unrealisitc market the Jets very smartly have their max price in mind.

If anything, the Jets should be praised for taking this hardline stance.  No one has signed Fitz yet, meaning they're doing something right.  They value Fitz properly.

And this is coming from one of the biggest Fitz supporters on the board, for whatever its worth.

Archived