Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

18 hours ago, prime21 said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with Fitz and his people seeking out a big pay day coming off this past season and knowing that some times get real loose with their wallets.  HE will have to fall back to earth and better hope the Jets have not moved on.

The Jets aren't about to "move on" from Fitz unless he actually signs with another team. He is their priority QB and they will stay in the hunt until the bitter or happy ending. I don't want no Kaepernick though, he is regressing faster than Sanchez did in his third and fourth seasons.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Our elite defense and running game took down Peyton and Brady on the road in the playoffs.

Stop it. He did a more than adequate job to make it work.

Fitz couldn't get one TD when needed against a ravaged sub-.500 team.   

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Our elite defense and running game took down Peyton and Brady on the road in the playoffs.

The Jets passing game carried the 2015 Jets to 10 wins (1 more than that 2009 Sanchez-led team and only 1 less than the loaded 2010 squad).  Now, one can certainly make a case that Decker and Marshall played as big or even more of a role than Fitz did.  But the 2009-10 Jets passing attack was anemic, and poor QB play was certainly the top reason there.

The D led us in both games but w/o the QB playing well we don't win either including setting up a chip shot FG for the win at the gun on the road in the WC round.

Marshall and decker led our O this year but we had a damn good run game, every bit as good as 2009 and better than 2010.  In 2010 we were led by our passing game to 11 wins against a tougher sched and this 2015 team was much more loaded than 2009 or 2010.

the 2009/2010 Jets pass O was efficient when it needed to be unlike this past year where Fitz melted down in the biggest game of the year.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

Stop it. He did a more than adequate job to make it work.

Fitz couldn't get one TD when needed against a ravaged sub-.500 team.   

If it weren't for our defense and running game, the Jets wouldn't have made the playoffs under Sanchez in the first place. Sanchez was the weakest link on that team, and he was carried into the postseason.  Fitz was somewhere in the range of our 5th-6th most important player last season.  It's why Fitz still gets starting jobs and Sanchez is now a career backup.

Big difference.

I'm not willing to cave to Fitz's demands.  But I'm not going to retroactively say he's terrible either, because its simply not true.  Sanchez was terrible.  Fitz is average. 

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Jets aren't about to "move on" from Fitz unless he actually signs with another team. He is their priority QB and they will stay in the hunt until the bitter or happy ending. I don't want no Kaepernick though, he is regressing faster than Sanchez did in his third and fourth seasons.

Sanchez didn't regress, the talent around him was taken away.  imagine Fitz trying to win w/ Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates?

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Sanchez didn't regress, the talent around him was taken away.  imagine Fitz trying to win w/ Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates?

Good point but what about his work in Philly? Has he shown starting QB talent.....no. And neither will Kap

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You love to raise Mark Sanchez up on a mountain when his 1st two years he had a top 5 running game, defense and oline and yet the current Qb gets kicked in the head for mostly playing better than 'Mark' and having gobs of pro bowl talent around him.

the run games was very good in 2009 and good in 2010.  the run game this year was just as good if not better.

How many games did the D blow in 2009 and 2010?  they were very good but not a shutdown D.

in 2008 w/ similar talent against weaker sched w/ HOFer at QB we couldn't even make the playoffs, we made title games the next 2 seasons.  why can't we appreciate that he helped us get there?

Fitz had MUCH more talent around him in 2015(and in a QB friendlier offense) than mark in 2009 or 2010.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it weren't for our defense and running game, the Jets wouldn't have made the playoffs under Sanchez in the first place. Sanchez was the weakest link on that team, and he was carried into the postseason.  Fitz was somewhere in the range of our 5th-6th most important player last season.  It's why Fitz still gets starting jobs and Sanchez is now a career backup.

Big difference.

I'm not willing to cave to Fitz's demands.  But I'm not going to retroactively say he's terrible either, because its simply not true.  Sanchez was terrible.  Fitz is average. 

The pass O carried us in 2010.  if not for the pass O we have no shot to make the playoffs that year.  2009 I agree, the run set us up but we still needed the QB to play well in postseason to win and he did.

Ummm Fitz got the starting job b/c of injury.  he wasn't signed anywhere in his career to be a starting QB.

12 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Sanchez took down Peyton and Brady on the road in the playoffs. 

Eleven year Fitz gets to the doorstep of his first playoff ever and faints on the welcome mat.

That was a farina schedule with marshmallow bits, don't forget.

So, lets see which is it?  Is it a stacked team that makes a QB good or not?  Because any success for a guy like Sanchez and it is because of him as in 'Mark took us to two afc title games!'  but when it comes time to look at another Qb it is 'He had a stacked team and a soft schedule so ignore any accomplishments.

The old shifting dynamic shell game played so often around here.  And this is all ignoringthe the mot import an thing when evaluating a players play, watching the games,.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Big difference.

I normally like your posts and agree, however, Mark played well in those playoff series 09 and 2010.  mark has shown, over time he is not elite but he did play well for a brief period for us.  Our elite D gave up 24 unanswered points in BOTH losses.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I normally like your posts and agree, however, Mark played well in those playoff series 09 and 2010.  mark has shown, over time he is not elite but he did play well for a brief period for us.  Our elite D gave up 24 unanswered points in BOTH losses.

The defense gave up 17 to the Steelers.  The other 7 was on a fumble by Sanchez.

Seems the stupid Super Bowl winning Broncos want Fitzpatrick if they can't make a deal for Kaep:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000643173/article/broncos-targeting-kaepernick-what-about-fitzpatrick

Broncos targeting Kaepernick; what about Fitzpatrick?

The biggest question following the flurry of free agent moves on the first day of the new league year is what in the name of St. Peter will the Denver Broncos do at quarterback?

With Brock Osweiler getting a huge payday in Houston and Peyton Manning retiring, the Broncos will become just the second team in NFL history to win a Super Bowl and go into the following season without their top two quarterbacks (2001 Ravens).

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport has previously reported the Broncos are interested in seeking a trade for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

But at what price?

NFL Media columnist Mike Silver reported Thursday that the 49ers likely want a second-round pick for Kaepernick and the Broncos might be willing to part ways with a third rounder.

"I believe that Colin Kaepernick is the target for the Denver Broncos," Silver said on NFL Network. "I believe the 49ers are amendable to trading him. Whether it is a (third-round pick) a (second-round pick) if that's what it takes. I think right now they're doing a dance. But I expect the Denver Broncos to go out and get Colin Kaepernick as their top option."

Silver later reported that another team is pursuing a deal for Kaepernick, and he believes the quarterback is "on the verge of being traded.

The Broncos also are formulating a backup plan in case they can't land Kaepernick -- they've been in touch with Ryan Fitzpatrick's agent, a source told Silver.

Elway has heaped praise on the Kaepernick in the past, including prior to last season when he said after joint practices with the 49ers, "I've always liked Colin," per CSN Bay Area

Silver reported Kaepernick is likely willing to restructure his contract to the Broncos' liking to facilitate a trade -- even if his deal is somewhat team-friendly already.

The 49ers have insisted they want Kaepernick on their team and Chip Kelly has wanted to work with the athletic quarterback in the past. But could that all be posturing to get a higher pick back in exchange?

Kaepernick's agents have made it know he would like to be traded. Right now the best landing spot outside of the Bay Area is Denver.

For now we wait for the dance to unfold to see if a trade comes to fruition. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The defense gave up 17 to the Steelers.  The other 7 was on a fumble by Sanchez.

the defense allowed a 10 min TD drive to start the game and was run all over by Pitt.  when mark and the O got the game w/in 5 w/ plenty of time to play all the D had to do was either allow just one first down or no 1st downs.  they couldn't do it and allowed Pitt to run out the clock.  mark was a major reason we had a chance in that game.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Mark, arguably, was the best player on the JETS that game.  But lets not derail.  Its all good.

the D killed us that day just as they did in Indy the year before.  they didn't show up in either title game.

8 hours ago, isired said:

That was reportedly the initial offer, before Osweiler et al. Haven't heard what or if on another, but they met several times.

BTW, your great hats got me through another winter in style, thanks!

Thanks for the shoutout! Glad they worked for you 

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the 4 win team stuff is nonsense, the talent on the 2014 team was nothing compared to 2015.  we had playoff talent(if not more) in 2015 and had a golden opportunity w/ a weak sched and blew it.

This part is what gets me pulling my hair out. We dolled out I don't know what, $200M just on new incoming players' contracts to go with a stud #6 overall pick and Decker not nursing a bad hammy into November, and oh by the way a total coaching change on offense/defense? Why people write things akin to "he improved us from 4 wins to 10" as though everyone other than Fitzpatrick were all bystanders in said improvement, and the only significant difference was Fitzpatrick, is beyond my comprehension.

Especially when 9 of our 10 wins came when this massively overhauled/improved defense held our opponents to 20 points or less (the lone exception being a win against Jacksonville, who scored the massive total of 23). 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This part is what gets me pulling my hair out. We dolled out I don't know what, $200M just on new incoming players' contracts to go with a stud #6 overall pick and Decker not nursing a bad hammy into November, and oh by the way a total coaching change on offense/defense? Why people write things akin to "he improved us from 4 wins to 10" as though everyone other than Fitzpatrick were all bystanders in said improvement, and the only significant difference was Fitzpatrick, is beyond my comprehension.

Especially when 9 of our 10 wins came when this massively overhauled/improved defense held our opponents to 20 points or less (the lone exception being a win against Jacksonville, who scored the massive total of 23). 

things change so much year to year anyway.  people forget w/ half the talent and geno under C we won 8 games in 2013.  again, I like Fitz but not at all costs.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t ready to accept backup money from the Jets. The question is whether anyone else will give him more than backup money.

Two teams reportedly can’t be scratched from that list: The Browns and Rams, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

The leaves the Broncos as the most viable option. But if Fitzpatrick is looking to parlay a season that ended with a Week 17 meltdown in Buffalo against the last team that gave him big money, the Broncos surely won’t give him that.

So where will Fitzpatrick land? It all depends on the outcome of a bizarro game of musical chairs that has more seats than rear ends, and that currently features uncertainty for a quintet of guys who were each starters at some point a year ago:Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Johnny Manziel, andBrian Hoyer.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I kind of agree, the point of mark is we bash him for helping us win yet praise a guy for putting up #s and losing.  It makes no sense.

I'm not a Mark basher, I have always said it takes something special to win 4 road playoff games, but I try to hold everyone to the same standard. Therefore, I appreciate what Fitz accomplished in 2015. I don't look at it as Fitz vs. Mark.

That said its time to move forward. I agree with Maccagnan in his position concerning Fitzpatrick's contract. I would bring Fitz back but at the right price. If an agreement cannot be reached then I would look at other options.

17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

we'd have just as good a chance to win w/ Geno as we would w/ Fitz.  do we forget w/ half the talent we won 8 games w/ geno as a rookie?

I simply disagree a great deal on this, for reasons that have been stated many times.  The positives of being a better QB athletically wise that Geno has over Fitz would be totally negated by the negatives that Geno brings.

Just now, nyjunc said:

things change so much year to year anyway.  people forget w/ half the talent and geno under C we won 8 games in 2013.  again, I like Fitz but not at all costs.

Correction - with half the talent and a usually horrible, and blatantly unready, rookie Geno under C, with Mornhinweg calling the offense, we won 8 games in 2013. Jets QBs don't typically win games by themselves. And with all that, we only went 10-6 against a creampuff schedule we won't face this season or maybe not for another decade.

Bring him back at expensive backup money or move on.

This is no big revelation, Hugh Jackson wants to mold either younger NFL vet like Kaep or a newly drafted QB.  The Rams were never a real consideration imo.

Fitzs market is Denver if they can't get Kapernick and the Jets and that's it.  The Jets can't afford to pay him what he wants and also simply don't want to.  Denver would pay him more than the Jets imo so the big domino to fall is Kaepernick.  Once he goes somewhere I think the Fitz deal comes quickly after that one way or the other.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I simply disagree a great deal on this, for reasons that have been stated many times.  The positives of being a better QB athletically wise that Geno has over Fitz would be totally negated by the negatives that Geno brings.

the best thing about Fitz was his teammates loved him which we can't say that about Geno.  Fitz is better but w/ that talent I am sure he would be a lot better than 2014 or 2013,

Hard to feel bad for a guy like Fitz who's made a sh*t-ton of money despite underwhelming results, but this has to be a kick in the balls for him. He's supposedly a pro's pro, but signing for a third of what Brock Osweiler did, and significantly less that Alex Smith did is going to leave a mark.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to feel bad for a guy like Fitz who's made a sh*t-ton of money despite underwhelming results, but this has to be a kick in the balls for him. He's supposedly a pro's pro, but signing for a third of what Brock Osweiler did, and significantly less that Alex Smith did is going to leave a mark.

Sexton and Fitzpatrick are now entering "damage control" mode because they just aren't going to get

15-18 million a year.  They should've realized the good situation Fitzpatrick is in and "quietly" got the deal

done

Archived