Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I can't believe we are still talking about Geno. But he had a nice stretch against the Raiders where he completed like 8 or 9 in a row...but he absolutely sucked in the 4th qtr. Ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, taking sacks etc. 

football outsiders had it in their almanac this year and basically pointed out there isn't a QB in the history of the league who played as poorly as Geno did and ever turned into an even average player. 

geno, fitz and petty will all be footnotes in 2 years when the jets have some other qb who is probably better than all of them (since it's hard to be much worse).  

mccags knows he has only a few years to find a qb or he will follow bradway, tanny and idzik out the door.  woody may be flawed but he is a passionate owner who will spend money and has to be perplexed why his gms can't draft even average qbs.

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The same excuse you have for Fitzpatricks first decade in the league. That should totally end the stupidity...but I doubt it. 

You act like I'm some huge biased blowhard fan of Fitz? Why do you keep bringing him into this argument.  I've said I'd rather have him than geno, and that I would not want to pay him anywhere over 14 million over 2 years. So there goes that argument. All Fitz did last year is set all new York Jets records... Something geno hasn't done.. 

18 minutes ago, jett said:

And what about Geno's first two seasons? What ridiculous excuse you have for that? I'll wait! 

Vinny the first pick in the draft plus a bunch of others didn't exactly light it up in their first few seasons but if Fitz doesn't comeback Geno is worth another chance and if he fails we know for sure and then Petty gets some experience..

Geno is not a roll of the dice. He has proven that he's not the answer.  Yes he has physical talent. But he's dumber than Helen Keller, and has ZERO intangibles (leadership). Starting him means we'll have a top 10 pick in the draft next year.

WTF source, Helen Keller was deaf and blind but certainly not dumb. She was actually very intelligent.

Nice stereotype.

8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Vinny the first pick in the draft plus a bunch of others didn't exactly light it up in their first few seasons but if Fitz doesn't comeback Geno is worth another chance and if he fails we know for sure and then Petty gets some experience..

I have no qualms with allowing him to fight for a spot, but I just know he is not the answer barring some ridiculous brain transplant he may have received over the off-season. 

2 minutes ago, jett said:

You act like I'm some huge biased blowhard fan of Fitz? Why do you keep bringing him into this argument.  I've said I'd rather have him than geno, and that I would not want to pay him anywhere over 14 million over 2 years. So there goes that argument. All Fitz did last year is set all new York Jets records... Something geno hasn't done.. 

Trust me, this isnt an argument, but this debate will become one sided after this comment of mine.

You want no Fitz? Here you go. 

Geno Smith played like a rookie who shouldnt have been on the field his rookie season. Why was he on the field? Because of an asshat coach who thought it was a great idea to put our starting QB back into a preseason game in order to win the snoopy bowl yet lose our starter for the rest of the season. 

His second year? He played like a guy who was better than what he was his rookie season (Less turnovers, less boneheaded plays...but still boneheaded plays were in his game), however, he also was on a team that was in the middle of a transition, expunging prior bad contracts and sitting on money for the following season. Geno ended up having a barebones team with no elite players around him on the offensive side of the ball along with a coaching staff that has developed 2 players in 6 years that I can think of off the top of my head, and they're both on defense. 

As for the Fitz and "breaking Jets records", seriously?....stop it. Its a passing league my friend. Its been that way for almost 20 years. It's a shame those records were still standing given that Rookies being drafted during this generation of the NFL could have smashed Jets records. So, Fitz broke a bunch of records, the records werent great to begin with. Its not like this franchise has had rich history of QB's. Not to mention that the man had to have the greatest offensive group this team has put together in ATLEAST 20 years, AND had to have the weakest schedule in about the same amount of time. 

Those records were so awesome that Macc decided NOT to resign him. lol  Thats how valuable that statement is. lol. 

Now let me actually listen to myself and move on. Come back when you can deal with the fact that Geno played as well as this team was....which was trash. There was no talent on the offensive side of the ball and the coaching/front office was the absolute worst. 

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Trust me, this isnt an argument, but this debate will become one sided after this comment of mine.

You want no Fitz? Here you go. 

Geno Smith played like a rookie who shouldnt have been on the field his rookie season. Why was he on the field? Because of an asshat coach who thought it was a great idea to put our starting QB back into a preseason game in order to win the snoopy bowl yet lose our starter for the rest of the season. 

His second year? He played like a guy who was better than what he was his rookie season (Less turnovers, less boneheaded plays...but still boneheaded plays were in his game), however, he also was on a team that was in the middle of a transition, expunging prior bad contracts and sitting on money for the following season. Geno ended up having a barebones team with no elite players around him on the offensive side of the ball along with a coaching staff that has developed 2 players in 6 years that I can think of off the top of my head, and they're both on defense. 

As for the Fitz and "breaking Jets records", seriously?....stop it. Its a passing league my friend. Its been that way for almost 20 years. It's a shame those records were still standing given that Rookies being drafted during this generation of the NFL could have smashed Jets records. So, Fitz broke a bunch of records, the records werent great to begin with. Its not like this franchise has had rich history of QB's. Not to mention that the man had to have the greatest offensive group this team has put together in ATLEAST 20 years, AND had to have the weakest schedule in about the same amount of time. 

Those records were so awesome that Macc decided NOT to resign him. lol  Thats how valuable that statement is. lol. 

Now let me actually listen to myself and move on. Come back when you can deal with the fact that Geno played as well as this team was....which was trash. There was no talent on the offensive side of the ball and the coaching/front office was the absolute worst. 

I'll agree with you on a few points actually. I agree geno was thrown into a terrible team in a sink or swim type of environment and that finally when we have a competent offense he gets knocked out. So like I said he does deserve another shot. I also kind of agree about Fitz records not meaning that much because of the league we're and such....

Now back to the quarterback being thrown in a bad situation.. Well aren't most quarterbacks thrown into a less than stellar situation? Look at Winston and mariota. They're playing on worse teams than geno did and they both did good. Luck took his to the playoffs.. 

OK ok! Don't worry save your breath I know your counter argument, these are franchise quarterbacks taken high up and not 2nd developmental qbs like geno who should have been given time..like petty has been given. Ok what about Wilson? 

I'm kidding, the fact is we can go back and forth throwing quarterbacks who have done both, come in right away and succeed or fail, and then quarterbacks who have have been drafted later and failed or succeed. We can go on and on throwing examples at each other. 

Here's the thing, you seem to think Geno is the answer here and I want to know why you feel so adamant here. You say to hell with Fitz, and the fact that Mac doesn't want him (which is false BTW. He's being smart.  he has offered a contract, why offer anything more when Fitz has no other options.. (stop I know you're going to say why would we want a quarterback no body else wants.)  also it's telling to me that some players on our team are aggressively trying to get Fitz back here. That doesn't tell you something? 

I don't think Fitz is our savior far from it. I pray they don't do more than a 1 or 2 year deal for a reasonable price. I assume they meet in the middle around 10 million which is ridiculous for a guy like him. But the facts are these. He's our best option. It's true. Geno had 2 years, yes rookie year and a year with a terrible team but good quarterbacks find ways to work through that. He didn't. And some quarterbacks develop late so maybe what if he has changed. Sure didn't show anything against the Raiders but hey one game being thrown in 

he will get his shot this year, and I'm sure he will disappoint. 

29 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Woody should just stay out of it.

Well, it doesn't sound like he's injected himself into anything? He simply gave the front office a stroke of confidence that they can get something done with Fitz? I don't believe that's being nosy in the least little bit? The fact is, he can do whatever he wants to, it's HIS team. But he has not done that at all, he's letting football people make all of those decisions.

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, it doesn't sound like he's injected himself into anything? He simply gave the front office a stroke of confidence that they can get something done with Fitz? I don't believe that's being nosy in the least little bit? The fact is, he can do whatever he wants to, it's HIS team. But he has not done that at all, he's letting football people make all of those decisions.

And it makes the fans so happy when he does. In fact he should just rename the team the NY Woody Johnsons to please us all further.

Maybe its the beard, but Fitz is reminding me of Adam LaRoche-thick-headed, principled.

I can see him walking away completely.  He has 5 kids.  Where are they in school?  Where does he want to live.

I continue to believe Woody is behind much of what the team does-usually the bad stuff.

Fitz is not doing anyone any favors here-he wants to make the most money he can.  He will not know the answer to that until Denver figures out Kaepernick.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Things have always worked out well when Woody Johnson has involved himself with football decisions. 

Read the article or watch the video. He's placating whoever the reporter is, and towing the company line: "we'd like him back, but at our price, we have guys that can step in... not desperate".

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Maybe its the beard, but Fitz is reminding me of Adam LaRoche-thick-headed, principled.

I can see him walking away completely.  He has 5 kids.  Where are they in school?  Where does he want to live.

I continue to believe Woody is behind much of what the team does-usually the bad stuff.

Fitz is not doing anyone any favors here-he wants to make the most money he can.  He will not know the answer to that until Denver figures out Kaepernick.

Adam LaRoche is a moron.

Fitz is doing what EVERY pro athlete does when he has the chance at a payday. He's trying to maximize his value. Fans are projecting their own bitterness on the situation to formulate the narrative that he's being thick-headed.

This is part of his job. He's doing his job.

On 3/20/2016 at 5:25 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Didn't we all feel Petty was going to have to sit and learn for a couple of years?? I know I did... came out of system that's not conducive at the Pro level. 

Has all the physical tools.... just needs time to put it all together.

If Fitz walks and Glennon doesn't happen,  let Geno compete with RG3 or Hoyer(on a 1 yr. deal) and Petty.

Then if the season is over by game 10..... let Petty get some reps and see how he does..

If he sucks, go hard after Glennon at the deadline or FA and "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" until you get a Franchise QB

That's all true. Petty has the tools, but needs the knowledge and experience. We all know what Geno Smith brings to the table. He is inaccurate, freezes under pressure and takes terribly bad sacks. Every QB throws ints, so I don't factor that in as much as I just don't think Geno processes the game very quickly. I think that if Fitzpatrick leaves you offer TB a second round pick in the 2017 draft. I wouldn't give up a pick in this draft when the Jets could get a QB prospect with the 20th pick or in the second round. Glennon doesn't impress me much, but he is better than Geno Smith IMO.

I don't think many people here are saying geno is the answer by any means, but may feel the team is better off with geno/petty plus a draft pick or cheap vet for depth and using the Fitzpatrick money on filling the number of holes this team has. Let's be honest here, this team isn't good enough and Mac needs to bring in guys who are going to provide solid return on investment and outplay their contracts (like Fitzpatrick did last season). Paying $10M+ a year over multiple years is too much for a QB who's dependent on the pieces around him to produce. Geno is not going to be the guy we're looking for but he's far more likely to outplay his $1.6M number than Fitz is at $10M. Part of the reason Houston could afford to pay osweiler that big contract is that they have their top guys (Hopkins/watt) locked in for below market value and have some flexibility to take a risk at the QB position. The jets unfortunately do not have the same luxury

45 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Read the article or watch the video. He's placating whoever the reporter is, and towing the company line: "we'd like him back, but at our price, we have guys that can step in... not desperate".

The thread headline says Woody makes plea for Fitz. So I'm going with that. :) 

Still doesn't change my opinion. He should not be talking to reporters about the Jets' roster in any way because he cannot be trusted to refrain from saying something he shouldn't. He hired a GM; just be quiet and let that GM do his job. He should at least avoid making his opinion known until after the draft is over. Only thing he should say is "I hired Mike and he has my full confidence so I'd ask you direct your personnel questions to him." Then show off his latest green tie and WKRP hat.

2 hours ago, fltflo said:

It's going to be a long miserable season. One that will be wasted, by not upgrading that most critical position on the field.

Addition by subtraction. Fitz is no upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The thread headline says Woody makes plea for Fitz. So I'm going with that. :) 

Still doesn't change my opinion. He should not be talking to reporters about the Jets' roster in any way because he cannot be trusted to refrain from saying something he shouldn't. He hired a GM; just be quiet and let that GM do his job. He should at least avoid making his opinion known until after the draft is over. Only thing he should say is "I hired Mike and he has my full confidence so I'd ask you direct your personnel questions to him." Then show off his latest green tie and WKRP hat.

I don't see why woody saying "We want this backup qb but only at a reasonable price" (paraphrased of course) is wrong. He's the owner. Of course he has an opinion. He writes the checks and I don't blame him for saying "Fitz aint getting $18mil from my account. Now if he was Wilson...I could see a reason" (again, paraphrased). 

This problem that all of you PERCEIVE our owner is, is nothing more than PERCEPTION. It's all in your heads. You have NOTHING to prove what you feel he's doing to the ongoing negotiations with Fitz. NOTHING. Personally, I'm quite happy he came out and said what he said. It basically confirms what I thought all along. Fitz is a very intelligent guy and Woody believes he's also quite engaging. When he's in the huddle, he's just one of the guys. I think that is highly complimentary of Fitz, but Fitz KNOWS just like Woody KNOWS that business is business and way too often you overly emotional fans confuse the two. Stop being dingbats about something that is much to do with nothing.

17 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I don't see why woody saying "We want this backup qb but only at a reasonable price" (paraphrased of course) is wrong. He's the owner. Of course he has an opinion. He writes the checks and I don't blame him for saying "Fitz aint getting $18mil from my account. Now if he was Wilson...I could see a reason" (again, paraphrased). 

That isn't what I said.

I said I don't want him saying anything because he cannot be trusted to avoid saying something he shouldn't. That he may not have, in this instance, is irrelevant. He should be quiet and let the people he hired to handle this handle this. I can assure you they don't need or want his help. 

And incidentally, it's a matter of point of view that he writes the checks. As part of the CBA he has to write a certain amount of checks in exchange for his percentage of the shared revenue. In other words, over time he pays the same no matter who the Jets sign and who they don't. It's not analogous to the non-player checks he writes.

So this brings me back to my original point. He should be quiet, other than saying "I like Ryan very much. That said, I trust Mike to do make the right decisions for the Jets and think he's done a great job so far. Also Sperm Edwards is awesome and stuff." Then hop into his helicopter and fly back to his "farm" home.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That isn't what I said.

I said I don't want him saying anything because he cannot be trusted to avoid saying something he shouldn't. That he may not have, in this instance, is irrelevant. He should be quiet and let the people he hired to handle this handle this. I can assure you they don't need or want his help. 

And incidentally, it's a matter of point of view that he writes the checks. As part of the CBA he has to write a certain amount of checks in exchange for his percentage of the shared revenue. In other words, over time he pays the same no matter who the Jets sign and who they don't. It's not analogous to the non-player checks he writes.

So this brings me back to my original point. He should be quiet, other than saying "I like Ryan very much. That said, I trust Mike to do make the right decisions for the Jets and think he's done a great job so far. Also Sperm Edwards is awesome and stuff." Then hop into his helicopter and fly back to his "farm" home.

And thats the part I disagree with. He's the owner and he has the right to give his own opinion. That doesn't necessarily mean he's willing to pay Fitz $18mil. And yes, the owners have to spend a certain amount of money, but that doesn't mean Jets would pay anyone, any amount.

Archived