Jets Ink Forte

BroadwayJets

20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Very happy to have Forte and what this tells me is this team is going to make every effort to WIN NOW you don't sign a 30 year old RB if you didn't think you could WIN NOW. That being said I bet the Jets and Fitz are much closer than we think and are up to something IMHO Fitz is no dummy and he knows the best place for him is the NY Jets. He fits the offense and moving to another team and dealing with yet another possible learning curve should not be in the cards for him. I bet he signs for 10-12 mil per as soon as the Jets restructure half the OL and some other players as well.

It could also tell you the team is ready to move on with a young QB and they want to make that transition easier by having a safety valve. Also it's just a fit for Gailey's offense (hell Forte is a fit for anyone's offense) and the team had no RBs on the roster so they had to sign someone.

It doesn't necessarily mean the things you want it to mean. 

Fitzpatrick fits this offense? LOL. This offense is flexible enough to fit Fitzpatrick more than Fitzpatrick fits the offense. Unless you can name any equal or better starters that are poor fits for our offense and say why you think so. What skill set does Fitzpatrick have that any other QB lacks? 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Very happy to have Forte and what this tells me is this team is going to make every effort to WIN NOW you don't sign a 30 year old RB if you didn't think you could WIN NOW. That being said I bet the Jets and Fitz are much closer than we think and are up to something IMHO Fitz is no dummy and he knows the best place for him is the NY Jets. He fits the offense and moving to another team and dealing with yet another possible learning curve should not be in the cards for him. I bet he signs for 10-12 mil per as soon as the Jets restructure half the OL and some other players as well.

I'm gonna make this the last post  I read today and go to bed with the hope this is exactly what is happening. It will help me  soundly sleep through the night.

..cuz trying to sleep with the possibility of geno as my starter by sunrise tomorrow will result with me tossing and turning and watching Ron Pompiel Ronco Showtime Rotisserie commercials until 4am

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

he famously went after Cam Newton. until this last season many would say he was pretty accurate with that one, also.

“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup,” Nawrocki wrote.  “Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them.  Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . .  Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example.  Immature and has had issues with authority.  Not dependable.”

No, that is still pretty accurate. 

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It could also tell you the team is ready to move on with a young QB and they want to make that transition easier by having a safety valve. Also it's just a fit for Gailey's offense (hell Forte is a fit for anyone's offense) and the team had no RBs on the roster so they had to sign someone.

It doesn't necessarily mean the things you want it to mean. 

Fitzpatrick fits this offense? LOL. This offense is flexible enough to fit Fitzpatrick more than Fitzpatrick fits the offense. Unless you can name any equal or better starters that are poor fits for our offense and say why you think so. What skill set does Fitzpatrick have that any other QB lacks? 

If no Fitz or FA/trade, let's roll with a youngster. At least find out if Petty is worth anything or if we draft somebody if they are.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

If no Fitz or FA/trade, let's roll with a youngster. At least find out if Petty is worth anything or if we draft somebody if they are.

I like that idea and I also think that's what they'd like to have happen sooner rather than later. It's part of the reason why they haven't opened up the checkbook for Fitz because it means Petty will hold a clipboard for 2 seasons unless Fitz gets injured.

I also think drafting a QB somewhere in this draft is in their plans no matter what happened in March/April before that. And therefore if they viewed Geno as a decent stopgap or viable starter they wouldn't have offered Fitzpatrick anything at all so they could roll out the cheap trio of Geno/Petty/rookie. So I do think Smith is nothing more than their emergency plan, and while no one wants to have to use their emergency plan it doesn't mean they want to tie themselves to Fitz at kooky dollars for the next 2 years minimum. 

My #1 desire is a QB worthy of the pick is there at #20 (or within striking distance of a trade up).

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I like that idea and I also think that's what they'd like to have happen sooner rather than later. It's part of the reason why they haven't opened up the checkbook for Fitz because it means Petty will hold a clipboard for 2 seasons unless Fitz gets injured.

I also think drafting a QB somewhere in this draft is in their plans no matter what happened in March/April before that. And therefore if they viewed Geno as a decent stopgap or viable starter they wouldn't have offered Fitzpatrick anything at all so they could roll out the cheap trio of Geno/Petty/rookie. So I do think Smith is nothing more than their emergency plan, and while no one wants to have to use their emergency plan it doesn't mean they want to tie themselves to Fitz at kooky dollars for the next 2 years minimum. 

Will be interesting I still see fitz coming back for around 11 per but we'll see. Maybe Jets can get the number down by guaranteeing the whole thing or with some incentives. Mac seems pretty creative.

Just now, jgb said:

Will be interesting I still see fitz coming back for around 11 per but we'll see. Maybe Jets can get the number down by guaranteeing the whole thing or with some incentives. Mac seems pretty creative.

Problem is I think the length is as much a problem as the girth -- I mean rate. They are happy to have him this year and next year but they want him as the #2 by next year and nobody wants to be locked into paying their #2 QB $11M (let alone more).

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Problem is I think the length is as much a problem as the girth -- I mean rate. They are happy to have him this year and next year but they want him as the #2 by next year and nobody wants to be locked into paying their #2 QB $11M (let alone more).

I see your point maybe that indeed is the hold up BUT you can always trade him if you've got him for 11 and petty or someone else emerges. you'll always find a partner at that rate.

Just now, jgb said:

I see your point maybe that indeed is the hold up BUT you can always trade him if you've got him for 11 and petty or someone else emerges. you'll always find a partner at that rate.

Not if he regresses they won't. Petty may emerge as the starter because he's lighting it up in practice. He may also emerge as starter because we're already a game or two away from being eliminated mid-season, Fitz isn't doing well, and we might as well give the kid a shot halfway through his 2nd season so we can plan properly in the upcoming offseason. 

In other words we may be stuck with him.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not if he regresses they won't. Petty may emerge as the starter because he's lighting it up in practice. He may also emerge as starter because we're already a game or two away from being eliminated mid-season, Fitz isn't doing well, and we might as well give the kid a shot halfway through his 2nd season so we can plan properly in the upcoming offseason. 

In other words we may be stuck with him.

if he regresses, if he gets hurt.... life is risk my friend. there is also risk that petty sucks and we whiff on QB in draft (yet again). The latter seems much more likely than getting "stuck" with Ryan Fitzpatrick at bottom 10 starter money.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

if he regresses, if he gets hurt.... life is risk my friend. there is also risk that petty sucks and we whiff on QB in draft (yet again). The latter seems much more likely than getting "stuck" with Ryan Fitzpatrick at bottom 10 starter money.

It's not the same "what if" as if he gets hurt or any other unlikely risks. More likely than not he will regress, it's known the team doesn't want him long term or this would have been done long ago, so to pay a backup $11M is nuts. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's not the same "what if" as if he gets hurt or any other unlikely risks. More likely than not he will regress, it's known the team doesn't want him long term or this would have been done long ago, so to pay a backup $11M is nuts. 

The one big missing piece that none of us have is how the team feels about Petty. That may have a lot to do with how this plays out or none at all.

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ahhhh, if I could count the times I've heard that !?!?!?!

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

The one big missing piece that none of us have is how the team feels about Petty. That may have a lot to do with how this plays out or none at all.

Maybe. But they also want to draft a QB (or so we'd like to believe). I think where we draft a QB tells more about Petty than does Fitzpatrick who's a short term solution even if he signs with 2 years guaranteed at $15M per.

I think we take one in round 1 if value is there but that's not saying much. It's more telling on how they view Petty if they go QB in rounds 2-3 or wait until rounds 5-7.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe. But they also want to draft a QB (or so we'd like to believe). I think where we draft a QB tells more about Petty than does Fitzpatrick who's a short term solution even if he signs with 2 years guaranteed at $15M per.

I think we take one in round 1 if value is there but that's not saying much. It's more telling on how they view Petty if they go QB in rounds 2-3 or wait until rounds 5-7.

And chance of a trade up? I don't really know much about the prospects but once you exit top 10 chances of getting a franchise QB decrease exponentially.

Just now, jgb said:

And chance of a trade up? I don't really know much about the prospects but once you exit top 10 chances of getting a franchise QB decrease exponentially.

I don't know dick about these prospects so I'm the wrong one to ask. But it's not like it never happens in the late teens or later. Most of the reason it's rare (other than franchise QBs are rare) is that teams are so desperate for a QB they overdraft so a prospect worthy of a mid-teens to mid-20s pick goes much higher. Understandable, though.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know dick about these prospects so I'm the wrong one to ask. But it's not like it never happens in the late teens or later. Most of the reason it's rare (other than franchise QBs are rare) is that teams are so desperate for a QB they overdraft so a prospect worthy of a mid-teens to mid-20s pick goes much higher. Understandable, though.

On the bright side Jets going for the record with what the 5th(?) year in a row with a QB competition. :(

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also, symbolic penis.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Hi I'm a Jets fan and in my world no matter how ****ed up this sounds 31 TD's simply is just not that good. yeah yeah I know that no one in this franchises history has ever thrown for 31 TD's but **** it I'm a God Damn Jets fan.

It's really staggering, hard to believe, although this is the same fan base that was duped horribly by Rex Ryan and defended him to the end and many still defend him

8 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Not that it's a bad signing, because he is a good player, but the Jets do get slower in the backfield.  Forte's long run last season was only 27 yards.  

That doesn't make them slower. 

They were saying yesterday that Forte was willing to take less money to play for a playoff contender. I had heard rumors of NEP interest in him before yesterday. He seems like a perfect fit for what they like to do. So why sign with us? Obviously he has a better chance at getting a ring with them than the NYJ. Let's just be honest about it. So then either Belichick wasn't really interested in Forte. Or maybe Matt like a lot of NFL players and fans just hates that franchise and doesn't want to be a part of a dirty, rotten, stinking, cheating team like them. :huh:

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

They were saying yesterday that Forte was willing to take less money to play for a playoff contender. I had heard rumors of NEP interest in him before yesterday. He seems like a perfect fit for what they like to do. So why sign with us? Obviously he has a better chance at getting a ring with them than the NYJ. Let's just be honest about it. So then either Belichick wasn't really interested in Forte. Or maybe Matt like a lot of NFL players and fans just hates that franchise and doesn't want to be a part of a dirty, rotten, stinking, cheating team like them. :huh:

Forte will lead fans off the bridge if Fitz goes to Denver

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Except when he's not. Longest run is not an indicator of who is faster. Dumb argument, have it with yourself. 

Neither RB is "fast" at this point of their careers, although I am sure Forte was faster coming out of college. Either way, being a productive RB has little to do with your 40 yard dash as there are plenty of RBs in college/pros that are currently faster than Adrian Peterson but aren't nearly as productive. 

The Jets done pretty well with vet RBs that aren't speedsters (Thomas Jones/Curtis Martin/Chris Ivory)

Love it.  This is exactly who I wanted them to sign.  Still very productive and an absolute monster out of the backfield.  As much as the Bears love Langford, Forte out performed him in every metric when healthy.

I'd still look to resign Powell. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Neither RB is "fast" at this point of their careers, although I am sure Forte was faster coming out of college. Either way, being a productive RB has little to do with your 40 yard dash as there are plenty of RBs in college/pros that are currently faster than Adrian Peterson but aren't nearly as productive. 

The Jets done pretty well with vet RBs that aren't speedsters (Thomas Jones/Curtis Martin/Chris Ivory)

Forte as a receiver, covered by LBers gives us 2 things that Ivory didn't.

1. The ability to catch everything thrown to him 10x a game.

2. The RB speed to create mismatches against LBers in coverage.

So, while Ivory and Forte may run a 40 in about the same time... Forte's role in the offense introduces a much greater way to leverage his speed as an advantage that Ivory just didn't allow for. Not consistently. Not in a way you could game plan around.

In effect, Forte brings more speed to this team, because of how he'll matchup.

Archived