The Wilkerson in the room...

SenorGato

7 minutes ago, jack48 said:

What makes you think Mac could have signed him for less than he is demanding now?  Do you know what he wanted last year?  The Watt money and the Suh money was already paid.

Yeah, I don't really blame Mac for this one.  If you want any kind of a discount, you resign them early when you have leverage.  Now, he's a FA, I don't blame him for trying to get as much as he can, and I don't blame Mac for not giving him 17 a year. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Yeah it's only 8 M in dead money then.  At that point you have to decide if his play is still worth 7.5 M or so

It's $8M in dead money if we cut him IN 2017.  AFTER 2017 his dead money is less than $2M.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I saw JJ Watt play last year and Wilkerson is no JJ Watt.

I actually don't understand WIlkerson's motive for skipping minicamps. He's a free agent next year. It would behoove him to get his ass into camp, have a terrific season and then cash in his chips.

The problem is he thinks he worth as much as JJ WATT and SUH put together, the SUH deal screwed with his head,

he needs to test the market, we can live without him, his cap we can use to fill any holes we may have next season, and

it won't be D line.  Wilk has stars ( dollar signs) in his eyes, hope he goes to a last place team and gets triple teamed, we should

have a great D line this year as well as going forward, sad but REvis and Wilk aren't the best value at this time.

24 minutes ago, flgreen said:

dumping Revis now creates $25,000,000 in dead money.  Not an option

The posts below explain what I mean.

Either way. Revis being a bad investment shouldn't prevent us from making a good one, especially as there's going to be little or no overlap anyways.

Depends on whether or not the team wants to eventually go primarily 4-across on the line. A LB like Lee, who can cover more ground, furthers that cause and ability. 

I forget where I read it, but apparently the team sees Richardson as more irreplaceable than Mo. Given the recent investment in Williams, that leaves 2 options: Mo is the odd man out, or they line up 4 down linemen and put one of them (likely Richardson, but who cares which) inside and run more nickel packages to get speed out there, rather than a 4th LB to occasionally drop into coverage (and usually do a between an inadequate and sucky job of it). If they get into the backfield enough that way, or if they can generate more coverage sacks/pressure with some speedier LBers and DBs cutting off those quick reads, then it could/would work. 

Here's a question about "JJ Watt money" (for anyone who wants to play along).

If JJ Watt hit the market today - how much would he be worth? His current cap number is between $14.5m to $15.5m a year for the next 5 seasons.

The reason I ask is, given how much the cap goes up by each year, any one player's contract will look different every year. As the post above said, Malik Jackson just signed a deal that has a cap hit of $10m this year then - wait for it - between $15m and $15.75m for the next four years.

Now I agree 100% that Mo is not JJ Watt. But let's say he's a little better than Malik Jackson. Where does that place him in terms of a new contract? More than Malik but less than Watt?

Again, if JJ Watt hit the market today, how much would he be worth in today's money?? Then, comparatively, how much would Mo truly be worth?

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

What makes you think Mac could have signed him for less than he is demanding now?  Do you know what he wanted last year?  The Watt money and the Suh money was already paid.

I think Idzik ****ed it up, not so much Mac who inherited the problem but it does look sh*tty throwing around all that money last year and never paying our own. I wanted it to get done when we had him under cheap team control for 2 years before those deals made the market ridiculous. Would have upped the cap hit for the last couple seasons but would be looking good now. We weren't spending any money on FA those years anyway 

12 hours ago, SenorGato said:

So what happens now? Obviously this perilous situation largely falls on Maccagnan's inability to properly value Wilkerson and inability to deal, but we must not stop to bicker. How do the Jets unburden themselves of Wilkerson and his outrageous demands? The obvious thing to do is cut him and move on, no? With that cap space we're potentially talking so many FAs. The Jets have Sheldon Richardson, a man honorable enough to expose Wilkerson and let the world know the kind of demands Wilkerson had. They drafted Leonard Williams, who just might be Wilkerson all over again in a few years. They are loaded along the defensive line this year with those two guys, Wilkerson's basically already been replaced. Do they rescind the tag ala the Panthers and Josh Norman? ESPN seemed to talk way more about Norman than Wilkerson last year and his team went to the Super Bowl. So are you saying Wilkerson is better than Josh Norman? Do they wilt under pressure and cave into Wilkerson's Demands, said to be the demandingest demands that ever demanded? Do they trade him for hopefully a late 2017 pick? Problem with that I think is we've seen that the NFL is full up on Wilkersons, no one wants him especially considering the level of demands being demanded by Wilkerson. Do they ask him to retire? Do/Should they "force" his "retirement," if you catch my drift? Maybe he's driving through the Jones Beach Causeway one night....?

Anyway, something has to be done and your guess is as good as mine.

You just can't let go of the dripping sarcasm surrounding Wilkerson, can you?  :)

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Depends on whether or not the team wants to eventually go primarily 4-across on the line. A LB like Lee, who can cover more ground, furthers that cause and ability. 

I forget where I read it, but apparently the team sees Richardson as more irreplaceable than Mo. Given the recent investment in Williams, that leaves 2 options: Mo is the odd man out, or they line up 4 down linemen and put one of them (likely Richardson, but who cares which) inside and run more nickel packages to get speed out there, rather than a 4th LB to occasionally drop into coverage (and usually do a between an inadequate and sucky job of it). If they get into the backfield enough that way, or if they can generate more coverage sacks/pressure with some speedier LBers and DBs cutting off those quick reads, then it could/would work. 

The Daily News as reported by Mehta oooooooooor here....As to whether the people who came up with that hilarious line actually believe it, I cannot say. Either way, not the strongest or most reliable of sources and three seconds of thought should have you laughing at the idea.

Oh and EM31, there's nothing in the rule book that says you can't have both a Wilkerson and a Revis.

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I actually don't understand WIlkerson's motive for skipping minicamps. He's a free agent next year. It would behoove him to get his ass into camp, have a terrific season and then cash in his chips.

He is also coming off a broken leg; maybe he is concerned with another injury.  As long as he is in by training camp I am okay with him missing these work outs. 

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

He is also coming off a broken leg; maybe he is concerned with another injury.  As long as he is in by training camp I am okay with him missing these work outs. 

If the Jets don't come to a longterm contract before training camp, don't expect to see M Wilkerson till the last week of training camp.( as long as he doesn't sign his franchise tag the Jets can't fine him for not showing.      

That is the problem when a player misses that much time, they become more susceptible to injury.

2 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

If the Jets don't come to a longterm contract before training camp, don't expect to see M Wilkerson till the last week of training camp.( as long as he doesn't sign his franchise tag the Jets can't fine him for not showing.      

That is the problem when a player misses that much time, they become more susceptible to injury.

Yeah but unfortunately, if he does that he will not be in shape and could result him getting some nagging injury that effects his performance though out the season.  I guess he is taking a chance either way. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yeah but unfortunately, if he does that he will not be in shape and could result him getting some nagging injury that effects his performance though out the season.  I guess he is taking a chance either way. 

Players get hurt in practice too( a lot of players were lost for the season from practice). .   That is one of side effects from using the franchise tag, as those players try to show their displeasure with not getting a longterm contract- they purposely don't report till a week till the season starts .  ( nagging injuries all year become a problem when player misses that much camp).  

Not to mention becomes a distraction as that's all the media harp on.

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I understand it plenty. Until signing a long term deal, in his position I wouldn't risk 1 single practice where there's serious long-term injury. Every year there are players who go on PUP or IR after just minicamp. Team meetings? Sure, fine. On the field? No way.

Plus he's not technically on the Jets anyway, right? Did he actually sign his franchise tag offer sheet yet? If not, he is still a free agent (though one with an obvious restriction). No one is going to begrudge him a higher contract next year because he skipped the Jets minicamp in 2016. Get real.

Frankly he'd have to have his head examined if he didn't skip every voluntary team activity that requires any physical exertion (and therefore, injury risk). Especially coming off a broken leg from January. 

Just now, Raideraholic said:

Players get hurt in practice too( a lot of players were lost for the season from practice). .   That is one of side effects from using the franchise tag, as those players try to show their displeasure with not getting a longterm contract- they purposely don't report till a week till the season starts .  ( nagging injuries all year become a problem when player misses that much camp).  

Not to mention becomes a distraction as that's all the media harp on.

I don't disagree with you anything you have said. 

Hey, Suh is skipping minicamp and he's in year 2 of a 6 yr $114M contract, most of which is guaranteed.

Last year Fowler busted his ACL in minicamp. So did Denver's 3rd round pick (think it was a TE but I forget his name). There was a corner on Baltimore who broke his leg. Some tackle on Atlanta broke his foot. Nate Burleson broke his arm. 

It happens. I don't know that there's been any documented correlation with skipping minicamp and suffering an injury that otherwise wouldn't have happened over the summer or during the season.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I understand it plenty. Until signing a long term deal, in his position I wouldn't risk 1 single practice where there's serious long-term injury. Every year there are players who go on PUP or IR after just minicamp. Team meetings? Sure, fine. On the field? No way.

Plus he's not technically on the Jets anyway, right? Did he actually sign his franchise tag offer sheet yet? If not, he is still a free agent (though one with an obvious restriction). No one is going to begrudge him a higher contract next year because he skipped the Jets minicamp in 2016. Get real.

Frankly he'd have to have his head examined if he didn't skip every voluntary team activity that requires any physical exertion (and therefore, injury risk). Especially coming off a broken leg from January. 

And then once he arrives at mandatory camp, the old "soft tissue injury" will pop up 1st day of camp and he'll be on the bike for 3 weeks!

Revis used that one before.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

keep him and let krackenberg, geno and petty fight it out

chances are he will outlast every QB on the roster right now

I mean really

Chances are he would, if he was under a long term contract. That said, it's not an ideal situation that he's still a Jet. Not under the current circumstances. They have to do something with him. 

12 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Chances are he would, if he was under a long term contract. That said, it's not an ideal situation that he's still a Jet. Not under the current circumstances. They have to do something with him. 

pay him

Because he is not under contract.

What would happen if he sustained a freak injury during minicamp?

No reason whatsoever for him to attend minicamp.

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

pay him

We know they don't want to do that because:

A - their relationship is basically a Taylor Swift song.

B - no crowd funding site has been put up.

C - Wilkerson is not JJ Watt. Do you think he is JJ Watt?

D - Sheldon Richardson himself said Wilkerson wants Suh money.

E - Mehta said the Jets value Richardson more, which is totally believable.

F - it worked really well the last two times.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

And then once he arrives at mandatory camp, the old "soft tissue injury" will pop up 1st day of camp and he'll be on the bike for 3 weeks!

Revis used that one before.

Revis used that one if he got beat badly, lest anyone claim he got beat at 100%. "Ooh! My hammy! My hammy!" 

Archived