What moves can be made when you look at our Cap situation.... Bleak!

32EBoozer

Where will we finding the money to pay our Rookies? We're - $

Really there are only 5 options.

1. Sign Mo to LT deal

2.Rescind the Franchise Tag

3.Cut Breno

4. Re-structure Marshall, Mangold

5. Drop Geno, Thomkins and 5 or 6 other replaceable players with cheaper draft picks/UDFA

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

Any Ideas??

NEW YORK JETS CAP TOTALS

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Sign Mo to LT deal

3.Cut Breno

5. Drop Geno, Thomkins and 5 or 6 other replaceable players with cheaper draft picks/UDFA

Any Ideas??

NEW YORK JETS CAP TOTALS

I think it's somewhat doable to squeeze under the cap. The rough estimate on Over the Cap was like $5.4m to sign rookies based on a pick in every round - but that gets offset by the guys they're replacing on the top 51 - the bottom of whom are probably around $450k each. So the net cost is roughly $2.2m if I'm doing the math right which they should be able to fit in the $3.3m of space. Barely.

Signing Fitzpatrick is another matter.

25 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

1. Sign Mo to LT deal

3.Cut Breno

Any Ideas??

NEW YORK JETS CAP TOTALS

Dare I say:  Ask Revis to restructure?

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Dare I say:  Ask Revis to restructure?

You dont want to do that. If you ask Revis to restructure and he actually does it then you'll probably be attached to him for another season or two. Take the hit now and you could be done with Revis in 2017. 

Resinding Wilk's franchise tag would make all of this go away. No one wants him to walk, which is why we should have traded him last year, but I think the reason why we tagged him was because we thought we could trade him. That didnt work. Cut your losses (literally) and call it a lesson learned. Unless we can quickly set up an LLC in Deleware for Wilkerson then we can pay him the Vet minimum and funnel 18 million into his new "company"....since the NFL is allowing teams to do that now. lol. 

19 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Sign Willkerson to a long term deal

Cut Folk

Cut Breno

restructure Marshall

1. They have tried that. Three consecutive offseasons. They may try again now that no one else is willing to give up anything of value for him.

2. Could be. Won't clear up that much in the short term, but long-term it clears up his $2.75M base salary (less the salary of his replacement). They just restructured him in September to convert most of his salary to signing bonus. Long term that's 6 in one half a dozen in the other, though: the same total amount comes off when the dust settles.

3. If they were going to do this before camp they'd have done it by now. They have until the end of August to do this, so I think they'll find temporary room elsewhere. If they do end up cutting him this summer, then the $5M extra they pushed to next year would be recouped by pushing Breno's unspent $5M to next year. Again, it's 6 in one and half dozen in the other (even though on the surface it will appear like they're "mortgaging their future").

4. They could. Seems a shame to ruin his nice, low cap number next year, but this is what happens when we spend so much $ we didn't need to.

From Over the cap.com :

The Jets have used  156+ mil of their cap space with 151+ mil charged to the top 51 players on the roster not including draft picks . I believe Wilkerson and the bead money left against the cap for this coming season from players no longer on the team is included in this number .  The Jets have about 3.34 mil in cap space available  with draft picks and other free agents to sign . If we cut Breno and Folks after June 1st, we will have about 11+ mil in cap space to work with while needing to add a kicker and hoping that Qvale can assume the starting RT position .

I personally see no way we can resign Fitzpatrick unless we either rescind the franchise tag on Wilkerson or get Marshall and Decker to restructure their current contracts in our favor.  Just exactly how much do Both these players want their "friend" back behind center .

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. They have tried that. Three consecutive offseasons. They may try again now that no one else is willing to give up anything of value for him.

2. Could be. Won't clear up that much in the short term, but long-term it clears up his $2.75M base salary (less the salary of his replacement). They just restructured him in September to convert most of his salary to signing bonus. Long term that's 6 in one half a dozen in the other, though: the same total amount comes off when the dust settles.

3. If they were going to do this before camp they'd have done it by now. They have until the end of August to do this, so I think they'll find temporary room elsewhere. If they do end up cutting him this summer, then the $5M extra they pushed to next year would be recouped by pushing Breno's unspent $5M to next year. Again, it's 6 in one and half dozen in the other (even though on the surface it will appear like they're "mortgaging their future").

4. They could. Seems a shame to ruin his nice, low cap number next year, but this is what happens when we spend so much $ we didn't need to.

2. Cutting a Vet kicker like Folk for an UDFA from Duke is a risky play..... unless you plan on bringing back Bullock or some other FA.

This one makes me more nervous than any of the other options.

I think we could be in for a bunch of close games this yr. if Mo stays, the rooks contribute on D, the ST play becomes much better( punting in particular)

and Geno doesn't throw 3 pick 6's/game!

K is important.

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

2. Cutting a Vet kicker like Folk for an UDFA from Duke is a risky play..... unless you plan on bringing back Bullock or some other FA.

This one makes me more nervous than any of the other options.

I think we could be in for a bunch of close games this yr. if Mo stays, the rooks contribute on D, the ST play becomes much better( punting in particular)

and Geno doesn't throw 3 pick 6's/game!

K is important.

It's important for a contender. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

You dont want to do that. If you ask Revis to restructure and he actually does it then you'll probably be attached to him for another season or two. Take the hit now and you could be done with Revis in 2017. 

Resinding Wilk's franchise tag would make all of this go away. No one wants him to walk, which is why we should have traded him last year, but I think the reason why we tagged him was because we thought we could trade him. That didnt work. Cut your losses (literally) and call it a lesson learned. Unless we can quickly set up an LLC in Deleware for Wilkerson then we can pay him the Vet minimum and funnel 18 million into his new "company"....since the NFL is allowing teams to do that now. lol. 

I know it's tough to take, but just accept that our best player isn't going anywhere.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's important for a contender. 

And if we were sure he not only can kick but that he's still a consistent kicker or one who can kick it through the EZ anymore 

The team could cut Geno (adding $1MM in cap space), gently restructure Decker or Marshall and keep Wilkerson and try to work out a deal this year. No Fitz, no Geno. Just run Petty or Hackenberg at QB and expect them to be primarily a game manager. Continue to pay off the mistakes of the prior two front offices.

Alternatively we dump Wilkerson which allows us the cash to sign Fitz, if necessary. 

If we run with a rookie QB--or even Geno--then we have to have a solid kicker to put points on the board. No way we let go of Folk with Petty/Hackenberg/Geno at QB.

Breno could be cut if the coaching staff believes there is somebody cheaper on the roster that fills the void. Not too confident that is true.

These are just possible scenarios, not what I think is probable or desirable. 

I don't think we see anything happen until the last possible second. The coaches are going to want to look at the DL and QB positions and see what we need. If the coaches feel we're good at QB without Fitz and DL without Wilkerson then both players are out. There is OTA plus a little training camp before the decisions have to be made. The longer the contract negotiations go on and the more it looks like either player may not have a contract before the beginning of the season the more desperate they may be to take a lower number. Whatever is leftover will pay all the other needs. 

I've long held the position that Geno is definitely on this team for 2016 because he's on the end of his rookie contract. I don't know that is true anymore. If Fitz or another vet is signed then there is no way we go into the season with four QBs and no way we let go of one of our two recent draft picks to keep Geno. I certainly see a scenario where we keep Geno and eat the $1MM we could save by cutting him to get the comp picks next year. (Even with Geno on the roster I am not confident he is the starter.) 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

2. Could be. Won't clear up that much in the short term, but long-term it clears up his $2.75M base salary. They just restructured him in September to convert most of his salary to signing bonus. Long term that's 6 in one half a dozen in the other, though: the same total amount comes off when the dust settles.

3. If they were going to do this before camp they'd have done it by now. They have until the end of August to do this, so I think they'll find temporary room elsewhere. If they do end up cutting him this summer, then the $5M extra they pushed to next year would be recouped by pushing Breno's unspent $5M to next year. Again, it's 6 in one and half dozen in the other.

I thought they were selling him for two of those offseasons? Boy, that story changed quickly.

----

I think they extend Wilkerson and we get a "surprise" restructure from Revis.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Touchbacks start at the 25 yard line this year, so meh.

True, forgot, thanks.

But still Folks consistency was starting to fade and we don't know what his recovery has been like. 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

1. Sign Mo to LT deal

3.Cut Breno

Any Ideas??

NEW YORK JETS CAP TOTALS

Cut Geno? And go with Petty and Hack? Not going to happen.

9 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I thought they were selling him for two of those offseasons? Boy, that story changed quickly.

----

I think they extend Wilkerson and we get a "surprise" restructure from Revis.

Seriously? They first tried to sign him, and when they were unsuccessful, they then tried selling him. This is hardly contradictory. Except maybe on your home planet.

2 hours ago, derp said:

I think it's somewhat doable to squeeze under the cap. The rough estimate on Over the Cap was like $5.4m to sign rookies based on a pick in every round - but that gets offset by the guys they're replacing on the top 51 - the bottom of whom are probably around $450k each. So the net cost is roughly $2.2m if I'm doing the math right which they should be able to fit in the $3.3m of space. Barely.

Signing Fitzpatrick is another matter.

Bingo. Not sure why people can't use logic. We need to look at the salary cap for the top 44 players right now then squeeze in the 7 draft picks, give or take a mil. There's really nothing to see here. The only question is, do we wanna go into the season with half a mil of cap space left over? I doubt that. We may restructure Marshall or Mangold to push a few mils down the road for breathing room. 

However, this whole cap situation doesn't free the blame off Mac for the mismanagement. How does a GM go from 50 mil in cap space one year to trying to squeeze a few mil the next year?

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

True, forgot, thanks.

But still Folks consistency was starting to fade and we don't know what his recovery has been like. 

I like Folk just fine. I don't think we save very much by cutting him, unless he's replaced with a rookie or a vet minimum player. Whenever people talk of cutting this or that player, particularly ones who aren't mega-expensive, they always seem to forget the salary cap counts the top 51 after he's gone, not just the remaining top 50. Next in line moves up one slot, and even that's only if he's replaced by nobody.

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously? They first tried to sign him, and when they were unsuccessful, they then tried selling him. This is hardly contradictory. Except maybe on your home planet.

So they'd approach him, be turned down, and *then* the desperate attempts to sell him occurred? Makes sense, I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

Archived