Joe Namath on Christian Hackenberg

joewilly12

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he's the most important player in jets history(for everything he meant off the field to the Jets and to the game of pro football), he's not the best player in Jets history.

With 173 TD's and 220 INT's, I would argue the Jets had some better players in their history. But the Super Bowl guarantee immortalized him. Good old Broadway Joe...

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree that he wasn't coached up.  Rex didn't want any part of coaching him.  On top of that, our WRs were crappy (though we did have a very good D, OL and RBs).  But I really don't think Mark was that good.  He's on his 3rd team (unless I missed any).  I guess we'll see how he does in Denver w/ a SB champion team.

I am saying if Denver starts Sanchez he will be Come Back Player of the year.

Will he be great? No

Will he exceed folks poor expectations?

Yes he will....

Namath stroked and mentored Sanchez during the post season 09 and '10, I'll never forget how happy Namath was especially after the NE win, the guy loves the organization and don't expect him to be anything but a coach, mentor, he was the guy who straightened out Braylon Edwards with one sentence, "he's going to have to learn to catch the football."  Edwards went from a butterfingered bonehead to an all pro - because Namath, angry directlyafter a loss, spoke like a coach, Braylon Edwards was pissed and told Namath to stop by his locker, end of theday Edwards became a great player.  Hack can hand the football off and throw the bomb, is he a polished hall of famer ?   I heard Joe speak on FItz a couple months ago, and he called him inaccurate, and he's continuously criticized Geno for being slow on his reads.  Hack needs to learn to throw screens, and read defenses.

I take it as high praise, Hack is the worst pick in the history of the Jets based on his performance in the NCAA, he was drafted on his ceiling, we have seen the floor in almost every game he played in the last two years, we all hope (and pray) Hack can be great in the NFL!

Sanchez, was immature and Namath called it, if he likes the Hack's potential I am happy, Jets fans should be whistling dixie

Anyone makes a bolder prediction with the Jets and backs it up (nice try Rex) can make a claim, until that time, Joe is the fkn man! #respect

1 hour ago, 77DRAFT said:

he was the guy who straightened out Braylon Edwards with one sentence, "he's going to have to learn to catch the football."  Edwards went from a butterfingered bonehead to an all pro - because Namath, angry directlyafter a loss, spoke like a coach, Braylon Edwards was pissed and told Namath to stop by his locker, end of theday Edwards became a great player. 

Literally lol'd

3 hours ago, 77DRAFT said:

Namath stroked and mentored Sanchez during the post season 09 and '10, I'll never forget how happy Namath was especially after the NE win, the guy loves the organization and don't expect him to be anything but a coach, mentor, he was the guy who straightened out Braylon Edwards with one sentence, "he's going to have to learn to catch the football."  Edwards went from a butterfingered bonehead to an all pro - because Namath, angry directlyafter a loss, spoke like a coach, Braylon Edwards was pissed and told Namath to stop by his locker, end of theday Edwards became a great player.  Hack can hand the football off and throw the bomb, is he a polished hall of famer ?   I heard Joe speak on FItz a couple months ago, and he called him inaccurate, and he's continuously criticized Geno for being slow on his reads.  Hack needs to learn to throw screens, and read defenses.

Nice story but WR Coach Ellard corrected Braylons drops. 

After breaking down plays from last season, Jets wide receivers coach Henry Ellard determined that most of Edwards' drops came on passes over his right shoulder. As Ellard put it, "He has a block on that side," suggesting the issue is mental as well as physical. So on most days in practice, Ellard runs over-the-shoulder drills, hoping repetition solves the problem.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5461590

In the early part of his NFL career, Joe was hit over and over again by players like Ben Davidson and Ike Lassiter (Oakland) aiming straight for his knees (and face). In those days, QBs were not protected like they are today by the rules they put in, after players like Joe ended up hobbled, if not worse. The thing is, Joe rarely if ever complained, and often made jokes about getting hit, such as the time when Lassiter broke his cheekbone. Joe made football hip to watch; football was not considered "cool" in the mid 60s, until he changed how the sport was viewed. He almost single-highhandedly put the AFL on the map, and he is the reason the merger happened when it did. Joe Namath transcends any other QB who ever played this game, despite his average play after '69. He is simply on a completely different level:  almost every other AFL players after Super Bowl III felt as if they too had won that game that day; he gave them back their pride as players, and made this upstart league legit, with the help of Sauer, Maynard, Boozer, and Snell.  This guy is a true legend, and he was a NY Jet, and not just a Jet, but THE NY Jet of all time. So if anyone is going to trash Joe Willie, he or she has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Joe is now is involved with a medical research facility in South Florida that studies and treats head injuries. As far as I'm concerned, Joe can say whatever the hell he wants about this game:  he will always be #1.namath.jpg

8 minutes ago, FlaJetsFan said:

In the early part of his NFL career, Joe was hit over and over again by players like Ben Davidson and Ike Lassiter (Oakland) aiming straight for his knees (and face). In those days, QBs were not protected like they are today by the rules they put in, after players like Joe ended up hobbled, if not worse. The thing is, Joe rarely if ever complained, and often made jokes about getting hit, such as the time when Lassiter broke his cheekbone. Joe made football hip to watch; football was not considered "cool" in the mid 60s, until he changed how the sport was viewed. He almost single-highhandedly put the AFL on the map, and he is the reason the merger happened when it did. Joe Namath transcends any other QB who ever played this game, despite his average play after '69. He is simply on a completely different level:  almost every other AFL players after Super Bowl III felt as if they too had won that game that day; he gave them back their pride as players, and made this upstart league legit, with the help of Sauer, Maynard, Boozer, and Snell.  This guy is a true legend, and he was a NY Jet, and not just a Jet, but THE NY Jet of all time. So if anyone is going to trash Joe Willie, he or she has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Joe is now is involved with a medical research facility in South Florida that studies and treats head injuries. As far as I'm concerned, Joe can say whatever the hell he wants about this game:  he will always be #1.namath.jpg

He's a up in the sky in that pic ... And looks like he's got the Jets up 38-13 on that scoreboard ... Seems about right !

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

Wasn't Namath the one that thought Sanchez would be great?

He was a great player for the Jets, but honestly I couldn't care less about his QB evaluations.   Whenever, I hear him talk, he sounds like he took a few too many hard hits to the head at times.  

I always wonder about fans who don't think a Namath's opinion is worth a damn but their opinions are.  

Namath wasn't one who thought Sanchez would be great.  Then again, he didn't say Hacekenberg would be great, just liked what he saw in college and so far.  Thinks he has a chance.  

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

Wasn't Namath the one that thought Sanchez would be great?

He was a great player for the Jets, but honestly I couldn't care less about his QB evaluations.   Whenever, I hear him talk, he sounds like he took a few too many hard hits to the head at times.  

Wasn't Namath the one who said Geno would suck? Yep. But then again, who the hell is Namath. I mean he's just a guy who revolutionized the game of football.  

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Joe Namath was the first voice in or around the Jets organization that had the balls to point out that Rex was a buffoon and a poor leader. You halfwits show him some goddamn respect.

Halfwits? You are giving this nit wits far to much credit.

I've heard Joe Namath say things after when he'd clearly had a few, that 90 per cent of the rest of the league wouldn't or couldn't. He was one of those few sports fIgures with distinct charisma and charm. We will never see his like again.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I always wonder about fans who don't think a Namath's opinion is worth a damn but their opinions are.  

Namath wasn't one who thought Sanchez would be great.  Then again, he didn't say Hacekenberg would be great, just liked what he saw in college and so far.  Thinks he has a chance.  

Well it's mostly publicity that is associated with celebrity that leads credence to his opinions.  Everyone I know hates the Kardashians, haven't met one person that thinks they are legit good people, yet they rake in millions and millions every year spewing BS.  

It's the same theory that if random person on a board doesn't have valuable opinion, should Namath have a more valuable one because he's famous?  I understand if he's right more often than wrong, but he's not.  He praised Sanchez, he wanted Manziel.  He plays to the media similar to a ton of celebrities, and stays in the news cycle.  

Just because you were physically talented (or physcially attractive in my Kardashian example) doesn't mean your opinions supersede others until proven otherwise.  If he was correct more often, I would listen to him more often but he's not.  I really wish he would go against the media agenda with his chimes.  

I don't hate the guy by any means, I just don't value his evaluations.  I think just because he's a former Jet great, people tend to give him a pass, but we ridicule how dumb some of these former greats are as announcers and analysts.  Ray Lewis, Cris Carter, Terry Bradshaw, etc.  We all ridicule them, because they are on TV constantly, and proven idiots.  It doesn't mean they weren't great players, heck I'd take everyone of them on my team, but I dismiss their opinions a lot because they have a media agenda and their job essentially deals with getting ratings rather than the truth.  

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Wasn't Namath the one who said Geno would suck? Yep. But then again, who the hell is Namath. I mean he's just a guy who revolutionized the game of football.  

I don't think he's wrong all the time, I think he says exactly what the media wants him to say to create controversy.  

Manziel- media circus

Sanchez- He wasn't high on him when they picked him, then loved him in the preseason when media thought he was a darling.

Sanchez- Supports Sanchez in Geno-Sanchez battle

Geno-  Supports Geno in Geno-Vick situation.

Tebow-  Hates the trade, then clamors to play more Tebow.

How is he not just pandering to the media?  

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Well it's mostly publicity that is associated with celebrity that leads credence to his opinions.  Everyone I know hates the Kardashians, haven't met one person that thinks they are legit good people, yet they rake in millions and millions every year spewing BS.  

It's the same theory that if random person on a board doesn't have valuable opinion, should Namath have a more valuable one because he's famous?  I understand if he's right more often than wrong, but he's not.  He praised Sanchez, he wanted Manziel.  He plays to the media similar to a ton of celebrities, and stays in the news cycle.  

Just because you were physically talented (or physcially attractive in my Kardashian example) doesn't mean your opinions supersede others until proven otherwise.  If he was correct more often, I would listen to him more often but he's not.  I really wish he would go against the media agenda with his chimes.  

I don't hate the guy by any means, I just don't value his evaluations.  I think just because he's a former Jet great, people tend to give him a pass, but we ridicule how dumb some of these former greats are as announcers and analysts.  Ray Lewis, Cris Carter, Terry Bradshaw, etc.  We all ridicule them, because they are on TV constantly, and proven idiots.  It doesn't mean they weren't great players, heck I'd take everyone of them on my team, but I dismiss their opinions a lot because they have a media agenda and their job essentially deals with getting ratings rather than the truth.  

One day you can write an even longer dissertation comparing Namath to the Kardashians.

I never said Namath's opinion is worth more than anyone else's, though why you think an all time great, HOF NFL QB wouldn't be able to even have an opinion is interesting.  Namath didn't praise Sanchez, you keep,saying that.  Then again he didn't say that Hackenberg would be good.  Which you also said.  You play with facts, put words in his mouth and then complain that ex players are dumb.  After you compare Namath to a Kardashian.  Just a heads up.  kardashians have no talent, no function, no history and no expertise.  So it follows that we shouldn't give a damn what or who they like.

Now try and make a case that one of the most gifted QBs of all time, most influential QB of all time, the Jets greatest QB and player is similar in any way.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

One day you can write an even longer dissertation comparing Namath to the Kardashians.

I never said Namath's opinion is worth more than anyone else's, though why you think an all time great, HOF NFL QB wouldn't be able to even have an opinion is interesting.  Namath didn't praise Sanchez, you keep,saying that.  Then again he didn't say that Hackenberg would be good.  Which you also said.  You play with facts, put words in his mouth and then complain that ex players are dumb.  After you compare Namath to a Kardashian.  Just a heads up.  kardashians have no talent, no function, no history and no expertise.  So it follows that we shouldn't give a damn what or who they like.

Now try and make a case that one of the most gifted QBs of all time, most influential QB of all time, the Jets greatest QB and player is similar in any way.  

I don't understand why the dissertation has to be longer on the subject, but I guess I'll be looking forward to the day?

He can have an opinion just like everyone else.  Please scroll up and find where I said he can't.  I just don't take it to be any more valuable than a media analyst.  Terry Bradshaw won 4 SBs, does that mean his opinion is better than Namath's?  Do we judge opinions with on the field merit now?  Namath did praise Sanchez, I even provided the link in this thread for it.  Where did I say he said that Hackenberg would be good?  I didn't even mention Hackenberg in this thread, yet you are alleging that I put words in his mouth?

So please show me this.  Where did I say "he said Hackenberg would be good".   Where am I "playing with facts"?  

I can see why you wanted a longer dissertation on Kardashians.  They make money because of beauty and sex.  Should teenagers and young adults follow their ideas on beauty because they are famous from their beauty and sex?  Your argument that performance in a physical ability should make you an expert doesn't follow your disdain for the Kardashians.  I couldn't care less about the Kardashians because I believe opinions should be valid regardless of the source.  Just because he's Joe Namath doesn't make him an expert.  If he was, then he wouldn't be wrong so many times before.  Rich Cimini has an opinion, and he's entitled to it.  It doesn't mean people should bow down like it's the word of God.  Same with Namath or Bart Scott or Ray Lewis.  

I provided examples as to how Namath caters to the media because he loves attention.  

16 hours ago, munchmemory said:

To me, Joe is an immortal Jet.  As you say, he gave us credibility on and off the field.  I was speaking directly at our QB position, which I think has been a pile of rotting excrement since Joe.  

Gun to my head, I'd say Joe Klecko was the greatest Jet player, with Joe a very close second.  But again, for what he accomplished in that magical 1968 season, Joe is an immortal in the pantheon of greatness.  You can't touch or question that.

I think there are a bunch that have had better careers than Joe as a Jet but he is the most important person we have ever had in the history of the franchise.

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:
By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on May 10, 2016 at 2:10 PM, updated May 10, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Can Christian Hackenberg be the Jets' quarterback of the future?

Joe Namath — the Jets' most legendary quarterback (and most legendary player, period) — wasn't ready to answer that question Tuesday.

But Namath likes what he's seen from Hackenberg, a former Penn State star whom the Jets recently drafted in Round 2.

"Hackenberg looks like he can develop," Namath told reporters at BTIG Charity Day in Manhattan. "Hopefully, he can. I don't know him enough, really. I like him from what I've seen at Penn State, from his freshman year on." 

Namath is familiar with Hackenberg, because Namath grew up in western Pennsylvania, not far from Penn State. He still has family there. 

Grading Jets' 2016 draft picks

"I'd get back and I'd talk to my family, and they like what they've seen [from Hackenberg]," Namath said. "The interviews that he's done, he looks pretty solid to me. He's well-schooled. Physically, he seems to have very good size.

"I started getting picky and looking at his footwork and his [throwing] motion, too. I think it's a little early for that. But I didn't see anything that I'd say, 'Ah, he needs to do this. He needs to tighten his motion here.' I didn't see any of that. It's between the ears, how he develops that way." 

That indeed is true. The mental aspect of playing in the NFL — reading defenses, etc. — can be a challenge for young quarterbacks. How will Hackenberg handle it? Namath, at least, is looking forward to watching him from afar. 

Staff writer Jordan Raanan contributed reporting.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

WTH is everyone arguing about?  Namath clearly states he hadn't seen much if any of Hack in college, just relays what his family in the area thought.  Seems like he feels he has talent and can develop if he works on his mechanics and mental game.   

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

he didn't praise mark?

this was in 2013 when his jet career was almost over:  http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/59312/namath-sees-big-things-from-mark-sanchez

heck even now:

Joe Namath said he believes Mark Sanchez could beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick, who had drawn some interest from Broncos.

15 hours ago, neckdemon said:

no actually the testaverde qb'ed team was closer than sanchez

No they weren't, we had a chance in the final minutes at Pittsburgh in the 2010 Championship game, we didn't late in the 1998 Championship game or the '82 or '09 ones either.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Joe Namath was the first voice in or around the Jets organization that had the balls to point out that Rex was a buffoon and a poor leader. You halfwits show him some goddamn respect.

he was also praising him for years.  Joe is basically a fan like the rest of us at this point, he sways in the wind like the average fan but no one cares what we think b/c we aren't legendary former players.  

59 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

No they weren't, we had a chance in the final minutes at Pittsburgh in the 2010 Championship game, we didn't late in the 1998 Championship game or the '82 or '09 ones either.

Lol of course you'd argue. Dude....WE WERE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AT HALF TIME. At no point were we winning the Pittsburgh game. We were never closer to the superbowl since 1969 than we were in 1999. We were losing the Pittsburgh game for the entire game. We never had the lead. We never made a comeback.......we attempted a comeback but it never happened.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I think there are a bunch that have had better careers than Joe as a Jet but he is the most important person we have ever had in the history of the franchise.

Agreed. I'd take it a step further and say that he's the most important person in the history of the game, given the significance of what an AFL team winning SBIII meant for the league.

He's the man.

Archived