Would Nick Foles be considered a journeyman?

Jetster

Foles can be had for 7th round pick & a 1.7 million dollar contract. He was pretty good in Philly under Chip in a high tempo offense. Gailey has a pretty simple offense, I see no reason why a guy like Foles couldn't do what Fitz did, get the ball out quickly & let your offensive players do their stuff.

I'm seriously trying very hard to believe that Fitz is worth 10.3 million dollars more than Nick Foles. Someone explain that to me. Because I know for sure that Fitz never had a 27TD- 2 interception year like Foles did. Plus I know that the Eagles skill players weren't better than Marshall, Decker & Forte. Also, isn't Foles like 8 years younger too? If Macc is leaving every stone unturned than passing on the opportunity to get Foles would seem a no brainer. If they don't take a peak than everyone hating on Geno is completely wrong about him & Macc and Bowles believe he's better than anyone else available. Shame they hear boos everytime his name is mentioned.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Foles can be had for 7th round pick & a 1.7 million dollar contract. He was pretty good in Philly under Chip in a high tempo offense. Gailey has a pretty simple offense, I see no reason why a guy like Foles couldn't do what Fitz did, get the ball out quickly & let your offensive players do their stuff.

I'm seriously trying very hard to believe that Fitz is worth 10.3 million dollars more than Nick Foles. Someone explain that to me. Because I know for sure that Fitz never had a 27TD- 2 interception year like Foles did. Plus I know that the Eagles skill players weren't better than Marshall, Decker & Forte. Also, isn't Foles like 8 years younger too? If Macc is leaving every stone unturned than passing on the opportunity to get Foles would seem a no brainer. If they don't take a peak than everyone hating on Geno is completely wrong about him & Macc and Bowles believe he's better than anyone else available. Shame they hear boos everytime his name is mentioned.

Seriously?  He's available for 1.7?

For a 7th and 1.7mil, I'd bring him in regardless of what the plan is for Geno.  Having Foles as a backup for 1.7 would be great.  

We'd have four QBs for half the price of what Fitz wants.

Edit:  And yeah I suppose since he'll be changing teams again he could be considered a novice journeyman.  Nowhere near the professional journeyman level of Fitz though.  Long way to go for that.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is this what this season has come to? Nick Foles? Good lord is this fall gonna suck.

After discussing Fitz @7-16mil the past few months, Foles @1.7 seems like getting Montana.

Hey, even if he is absolutely horrible... like Tebow level, it's worth it for us at 1.7.  If Geno goes down, he'd be a buffer from Petty or Hack.  They both don't seem ready, so Foles is probably better than them.  And it keeps them from being mismanaged.

It seems to me that if you trade for Foles you would have to take on his contract which is somewhere around 13 million.  If he were cut then maybe that 1.7 could come into play.  For 1.7 I would take the chance that the 27/2 guy or some form of him is still there.  Let him battle Geno or back him up and move on from Fitz.  I was all for bringing Fitz back but he is pricing himself out in my mind.

50 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Seriously?  He's available for 1.7?

For a 7th and 1.7mil, I'd bring him in regardless of what the plan is for Geno.  Having Foles as a backup for 1.7 would be great.  

We'd have four QBs for half the price of what Fitz wants.

Edit:  And yeah I suppose since he'll be changing teams again he could be considered a novice journeyman.  Nowhere near the professional journeyman level of Fitz though.  Long way to go for that.

It's true at least for this year. If the Rams trade him they would save 6 mil on the cap and he would be due only 1,75 mil in salary.

The Rams would have only 2 mil in dead money. I would think they'd want to keep him as a backup though considering they have 11 mil of cap space.

With that salary they'd probably want a higher pick. 

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is this what this season has come to? Nick Foles? Good lord is this fall gonna suck.

Not even worth a 2nd thought?

" A tall, strong-armed quarterback with a relentless work ethic, Nick Foles flourished during a breakout season in 2013 as he led the league with a 119.2 QB rating, the 3rd best in NFL history. His TD/INT ratio (27/2) was the best ever by an NFL QB. A 3rd round pick in 2012 from Arizona, Foles finished his career as the school’s all-time leader in passing yards, TDs, attempts and completions. "

21 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

After discussing Fitz @7-16mil the past few months, Foles @1.7 seems like getting Montana.

Hey, even if he is absolutely horrible... like Tebow level, it's worth it for us at 1.7.  If Geno goes down, he'd be a buffer from Petty or Hack.  They both don't seem ready, so Foles is probably better than them.  And it keeps them from being mismanaged.

Yes, it a truly open market..both Fitz and Foles probably have the same value.  If the Jets made this move for Foles, Fitz wouldn't get more than $4mm right now from anyone...That's the crazy thing about this entire situation.  

Foles played great under Kelly with Bill Lazor as his QB coach he had a TD to Int ratio of 27-2. Once Lazor left to Miami to be the OC Foles play dropped off. I think his salary islLike 12.5 million per year (not 100%) so I dont know about the 1.7 million.

49 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Foles played great under Kelly with Bill Lazor as his QB coach he had a TD to Int ratio of 27-2. Once Lazor left to Miami to be the OC Foles play dropped off. I think his salary islLike 12.5 million per year (not 100%) so I dont know about the 1.7 million.

It wasn't only the OC leaving.  The Eagles also (stupidly) let go of DeSean Jackson the off season going into 14, and then had OL problems for most of the season.  Of course they did not replace Jackson with anyone good, so you change up your OC and game plan and take away the Qb's #1 receiver with no replacement, even Rodgers would see his stats suffer.

More concerning is the stint with the Rams, but there's a considerable opinion among Rams fans that that was on the CS there for the greater part.  Yeah it might well be that Foles is nowhere near the Qb he was in 13, but for the right number I would take a chance he's still got it.  He was all league in 13.  Something you can't say about Smith and never will come close to saying ever.

More to the point, I don't know why the Jets at least as a bargaining tool would not make some noise about trying to trade for Foles.  It would add leverage over Fitz and his agent even if the CS prefers Fitz to Foles.

Ftr for all those who consider me a Fitzpatrick lover, I think I'd rather have Foles.  He has more upside, and even if say Hackenburg among the current qb's earns the starting gig in 17, then Foles would be much better depth medium term than Fitzpatrick.

Foles for some reason is persona no grata with the Rams. They started Keenum over him. He was very good for a while (and not that long ago) with Philly and got the big contract. If the Jets don't sign Fitz and they can get him cheap from the Rams who might be willing to eat most of that contract I'd take him over Geno. I think there is a good chance the Rams will start the rookie. . 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Actually, his salary this year is just a little over a million, but he also has a $2M roster bonus. Next year it jumps to $1.7 plus a $6M roster bonus, and then over $10 in the last year. So the contract is manageable if he performs well, maybe even a bargain depending on how well he performs. http://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773/

But I'd think this is a move they would've made before the draft if they thought it was worthwhile, not after they took a QB in the second round this year. 

41 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Are we really discussing another QB??  

Well yeah, because they have not signed Fitzpatrick and seem to be at an impasse.

I expect all the Smith Fans here will oppose ANY talk of another Qb option, but if the Fitz deal is not going to happen, the FO needs to look at this.

I don't see why we wouldn't at least explore Foles at this point?  People are acting like we'd be choosing Foles over Aaron Rodgers, the alternative isn't all the appealing.  Again, I appreciate what Fitz did for us but he's a bridge QB who's limited and coming off by far his best year as a pro.  The biggest red flag for me in all honesty is the way Foles handled the situation in LA, he really doesn't have a leg to stand on and shouldn't be pouting as much as he is.  But to not explore it would be crazy.

59 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Well yeah, because they have not signed Fitzpatrick and seem to be at an impasse.

I expect all the Smith Fans here will oppose ANY talk of another Qb option, but if the Fitz deal is not going to happen, the FO needs to look at this.

As a big Geno Smith supporter you most definitely explore all options always have a backup plan in place. 

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I remember guys like you saying the same last year when we were bringing in FItz with Geno. Now all of a sudden Fitz is the savior while a guy like Foles is garbage. Foles isn't anything special, but neither is FItz. The Jets will win and lose games because of their defense and weapons on offense (outside of QB). If you can't see that then you must be new to watching football.  

2 hours ago, slats said:

Actually, his salary this year is just a little over a million, but he also has a $2M roster bonus. Next year it jumps to $1.7 plus a $6M roster bonus, and then over $10 in the last year. So the contract is manageable if he performs well, maybe even a bargain depending on how well he performs. http://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773/

But I'd think this is a move they would've made before the draft if they thought it was worthwhile, not after they took a QB in the second round this year. 

If they bring in Foles, it's not as a long term investment but as a competent backup to Geno in case Geno falls flat on his face (or gets punched in the face). Fitz was brought in under the same theory last year. Everyone seems to forget that Fitz was hot garbage coming into last year. The Texans, who needed a QB, wanted no part of him. 

Drafting Hack was a smart move whether we have Fitz/Foles/Hoyer or any other journeyman that gets paired with Geno to compete for the starting gig. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

As a big Geno Smith supporter you most definitely explore all options always have a backup plan in place. 

If Foles was on this team, Smith would not be the starter.  Hope that doesn't change your view of things, although I guess there's some chance it might.

In any event on this topic, when word first broke of possible Jets interest in other Qb's, then when first Bradford and then Foles has their names mentioned, I noticed there was no indication the Jets were even showing interest in them (as they did for Griffin and Hoyer).  Their not doing so indicated to me, or so I thought, that not only did they prefer Fitzpatrick, but that a deal with him was imminent. 

But now many weeks later I see that is not the case.  So I still don't get why not at least show interest if for nothing else leverage?  It just seems the smart play here.

What people don't think about is Fitz leadership.  The players around him respect him and play harder for him.  Some posters here only look at stats, well stats lie and liars use stats.

Does Foles have that leadership quality that Fitz has?  I don't know the answer to that question just as I did not have that answer about Fitz last year at this time, so maybe he does. 

Its what happened in the Raider game last year, Fitz went down and the air was taken out of the entire team.     

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

In any event on this topic, when word first broke of possible Jets interest in other Qb's, then when first Bradford and then Foles has their names mentioned, I noticed there was no indication the Jets were even showing interest in them (as they did for Griffin and Hoyer).  Their not doing so indicated to me, or so I thought, that not only did they prefer Fitzpatrick, but that a deal with him was imminent. 

But now many weeks later I see that is not the case.  So I still don't get why not at least show interest if for nothing else leverage?  It just seems the smart play here.

You could be right but they could have signed any of these guys and they passed on them. I don't know where Mac got this idea for structuring a deal like this 12-6-6 but if it's been done I've never seen it before. And the Jets don't seem to be willing to compromise on it. I think it is a take it or leave it scenario because the Jets are in the driver's seat. It's late in the process and there just aren't starting jobs available this off season. To me just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to exercise it. It's not the way to build a relationship. I mean we're quickly losing any momentum we had coming off of last year. And we were in good place after last season. The players were on board with the program. Now what the hell is the program anyways.

9 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

What people don't think about is Fitz leadership.  The players around him respect him and play harder for him.  Some posters here only look at stats, well stats lie and liars use stats.

Does Foles have that leadership quality that Fitz has?  I don't know the answer to that question just as I did not have that answer about Fitz last year at this time, so maybe he does. 

Its what happened in the Raider game last year, Fitz went down and the air was taken out of the entire team.     

How come your fearless leader was never able to win more than 6 games prior to last season?

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

How come your fearless leader was never able to win more than 6 games prior to last season?

Because he was always on mediocre teams that's why. Last year he wasn't and he won games. Plus like Bowles said the guy maybe just improved as a Qb and found the right team. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Because he was always on mediocre teams that's why. Last year he wasn't and he won games. Plus like Bowles said the guy maybe just improved as a Qb and found the right team. 

2tTXxIt.png?1

Fitz played with plenty of talent in his career 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The 2015 Jets were a good team Fitzpatrick walked into a great situation with the easy schedule. 

Archived