Hackenburg looking unimpressive...

Freemanm

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why would you take a player in the 2nd round who you don't think can step on the field for you within two years? You don't pick "developmental prospects" in the 2nd round. You get those in the sixth round.

Well just like any rule there always are exceptions. If you never draft a QB under 6'2" then you miss out on Russell Wilson... If you never draft a player with character issues then you miss out on Warren Sapp.

Here, I am assuming the plan was to have Fitz as the starter for at least next year and management decided it was worth drafting Hack in the second round. He has all the physical tools, is apparently a gym rat and good leader... Numerous draft boards did have him as a 2nd rounder, and I doubt he was gonna be there in the third where we picked.

4 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Well just like any rule there always are exceptions. If you never draft a QB under 6'2" then you miss out on Russell Wilson... If you never draft a player with character issues then you miss out on Warren Sapp.

Here, I am assuming the plan was to have Fitz as the starter for at least next year and management decided it was worth drafting Hack in the second round. He has all the physical tools, is apparently a gym rat and good leader... Numerous draft boards did have him as a 2nd rounder, and I doubt he was gonna be there in the third where we picked.

Actualllllllly, the "exception" here would be a QB with Christian Hackenberg's statistical profile not being a train wreck as a pro, and that's no not an exaggeration 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Actualllllllly, the "exception" here would be a QB with Christian Hackenberg's statistical profile not being a train wreck as a pro, and that's no not an exaggeration 

I feel you man. I'm not trying to argue here as I'm new to the board and such. I was really mad when we drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd, but I still am an eternal optomist jets fan I am trying to believe in it and at least hope for the best. Most of my friends that went to PSU say good things about him and that the team was absolute sh*t after his freshman year. But I've read everything from no qb with numbers as bad as his has ever made it as a successful starter in the league. I just hope your wrong for the Jet's sake

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

So why was Lynch missing wide open WRs?  Wht did Garappolo miss wide open WRs in his first year of camp? Why do all rookies at their first camp miss wide open WRs?  Why would Favre when he first played in actual NFL games overthrow wide open WRs?  What does what he does in a handful of passes at his OTA have anything to do with what he will be in 1 or 2 years?  

Don't bother with Tx, he has embarrassed himself on multiple jet fan messageboards over the years  with his inept talent evaluation of qb's. 

Brady is literally the only qb he likes who isn't a scrub like Mallett or Hoyer

2 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

I feel you man. I'm not trying to argue here as I'm new to the board and such. I was really mad when we drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd, but I still am an eternal optomist jets fan I am trying to believe in it and at least hope for the best. Most of my friends that went to PSU say good things about him and that the team was absolute sh*t after his freshman year. But I've read everything from no qb with numbers as bad as his has ever made it as a successful starter in the league. I just hope your wrong for the Jet's sake

Welcome to the board, homie. We're all bros here, even the ones who are belligerent douches and/or faux intellectuals. Question, though: did you like Rex? 

cc: @AFJF

3 minutes ago, GenoTime said:

Hackenberg was a complete waste of a draft pick, Mac is a total moron. The QB of the present and future is already on the roster

Mac believes in the packers' philosophy which is drafting a Qb every year until you get a good one.

I think Geno has the talent and if he starts this season will surprise a lot of people but nothing wrong with hedging bets.  This was not a good class of quarterbacks the only one I think will actually end up being good is Wentz.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Mac believes in the packers' philosophy which is drafting a Qb every year until you get a good one.

I think Geno has the talent and if he starts this season will surprise a lot of people but nothing wrong with hedging bets.  This was not a good class of quarterbacks the only one I think will actually end up being good is Wentz.

I could be wrong, but to get a good QB, you need to draft a good QB, no? Hackenberg sucks!

3 minutes ago, GenoTime said:

I could be wrong, but to get a good QB, you need to draft a good QB, no? Hackenberg sucks!

For every Aaron Rodgers the packers drafted a Brian Brohm

absolutely no one thought Montana and Brady would ever be anything when they came out of college

Just now, T0mShane said:

Welcome to the board, homie. We're all bros here, even the ones who are belligerent douches and/or faux intellectuals. Question, though: did you like Rex? 

cc: @AFJF

Starting off, I absolutely loved him. Couldn't get enough of him and thought he was the best thing to ever happen to the Jets. But by the end I was more than done with him.

After a few years you saw how the undisciplined team ended up indirectly losing so many games due to extending drives due to terrible personal fouls and really undisciplined false starts and offsides. As well as his absolute ineptitude on offense.

My least favorite part about rex was that he would amp up the jets soo much for the games against the Pats, and our rivals... Then we would come out so flat against teams like Tennesee or San Fran. His second playoff run epitomizes that where we played so hard against Brady and Manning (who Rex always loved talking about beating)... But then completely laid an egg against the Steelers. Kinda realized that the "every game is just as important as the next" is really the philosophy you need to win games.

I tell my bills fans friends all the time that sure the bills come to play against the Jets and Pats hard... but they are gonna lay a dud in the next game. He is definitely entertaining, but I think his ceiling is 9-7 or best case scenario 10-6 every year because he can never coach a consistent team because he does not even preach consistency.

5 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Starting off, I absolutely loved him. Couldn't get enough of him and thought he was the best thing to ever happen to the Jets. But by the end I was more than done with him.

After a few years you saw how the undisciplined team ended up indirectly losing so many games due to extending drives due to terrible personal fouls and really undisciplined false starts and offsides. As well as his absolute ineptitude on offense.

My least favorite part about rex was that he would amp up the jets soo much for the games against the Pats, and our rivals... Then we would come out so flat against teams like Tennesee or San Fran. His second playoff run epitomizes that where we played so hard against Brady and Manning (who Rex always loved talking about beating)... But then completely laid an egg against the Steelers. Kinda realized that the "every game is just as important as the next" is really the philosophy you need to win games.

I tell my bills fans friends all the time that sure the bills come to play against the Jets and Pats hard... but they are gonna lay a dud in the next game. He is definitely entertaining, but I think his ceiling is 9-7 or best case scenario 10-6 every year because he can never coach a consistent team because he does not even preach consistency.

????

22 minutes ago, faba said:

His confidence and technique got shot the last couple of years at Penn St- some his fault some not- worth a gamble to see if we can fix him and develop

What college Qb that came to the NFL with inaccuracy problems , was able to be fixed them when they got to the pro's. ( I can't think of single one)     Not as easy to fix  a Qb mechanics as it sounds .  See Tim Tebow - what he didn't put the money , and the time in his craft to try to improve his accuracy.

42 minutes ago, faba said:

His confidence and technique got shot the last couple of years at Penn St- some his fault some not- worth a gamble to see if we can fix him and develop

You don't take gambles in the 2nd round on players you have to fix and develop. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Why would you take a player in the 2nd round who you don't think can step on the field for you within two years? You don't pick "developmental prospects" in the 2nd round. You get those in the sixth round.

QBs are always the exception. There are no rules to getting a franchise QB. It's worth almost any price and amount of time to find one.

The fact that you don't think Hack can be a franchise QB is irrelevant to the reasoning here. Obviously Mac does. If it takes a 2nd round pick and two years to develop a franchise QB then it's a sound philosophy and a bargain.

My philosophy would be based on my determination of the odds he would become an elite starter. If I'm 75% sure I'd take him #1 overall. 50% and you take him middle first. 25% would be a value in the 2nd. 4th round or later would be 10% like Petty. No matter what he would have to have the physical, and mental acuity. What I don't understand is drafting guys like McElroy, or Boyd in any round. The ceiling is important in QBs. The floor just determines the round. 

4 second round picks would be well worth getting a young top 10 QB 2 years 3, or even 4 years from now. We've been searching for 40 years.

1 hour ago, faba said:

It is too bad that the situation was in fact bad for him as he was a promising qb, in the end it does;t matter what the reason was, he seems to have much more wrong with him than you'd like for a 2nd rounder.  I still think the worst part of it is that next year before the draft, if things have gone poorly and the jets are in position to draft or move up to get a premium qb prospect they won;t do it because they drafted this guy in the 2nd round this year and want to 'give him a shot'.  Will they draft a qb each year?  Yeah but they won't draft one high next year.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is too bad that the situation was in fact bad for him as he was a promising qb, in the end it does;t matter what the reason was, he seems to have much more wrong with him than you'd like for a 2nd rounder.  I still think the worst part of it is that next year before the draft, if things have gone poorly and the jets are in position to draft or move up to get a premium qb prospect they won;t do it because they drafted this guy in the 2nd round this year and want to 'give him a shot'.  Will they draft a qb each year?  Yeah but they won't draft one high next year.

You may be right but we will see. I hope they follow the philosophy that you cannot overvalue the young franchise QB. All the work you do throughout the year is practically meaningless until you get one, and the only way to get one is through the draft. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not necessarily. For the most part I would agree, but QB is one of positions where it is not uncommon to take a developmental guy with a first day pick. Mike Tannenbaum took Vladimir Ducasse in the 2nd round as a developmental pick in 2010. That's a prime example of squandering a 2nd round pick. It can also work out rather marvelously as well. The Giants drafted Jason Pierre Paul as a developmental pick and it worked out quite well for them. So it really depends on the position.

I love it. 

We're not even at MINICAMP yet and we have people screaming their heads off because a rookie QB looked like a rookie QB and missed some guys who were open at a practice. All because a beat reporter, that everyone would agree is a humongous troll, wrote a sensational clickbait headline and drew you in like stupid fish.  The best part is that he did it even though he, along with everyone other reporter, weren't given access to the second field where Hackenberg spent most of his OTA's.  Most reports that I read said that, given the limited access to him, overall Hack looked decent for a rookie.  Had some ups, had some downs but for the most part he showed off a strong arm, improved feet from rookie camp and looked ok.  Nothing to suggest that he should start right away, but not horrible like Cimini's trollish headline would suggest.  I don't even know why this surprising stuff to you all.  The consensus is that Hack would have to sit and be properly developed.  Anyone expecting otherwise is ridiculous.

You know, I can see why TX loves trolling some of you guys.  It's just too easy.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It is too bad that the situation was in fact bad for him as he was a promising qb, in the end it does;t matter what the reason was, he seems to have much more wrong with him than you'd like for a 2nd rounder.  I still think the worst part of it is that next year before the draft, if things have gone poorly and the jets are in position to draft or move up to get a premium qb prospect they won;t do it because they drafted this guy in the 2nd round this year and want to 'give him a shot'.  Will they draft a qb each year?  Yeah but they won't draft one high next year

what are you basing this nonsense on? If mac isn't afraid to draft a DE #6 overall with mo and sheldon on the roster, then he won't be afraid to draft a stud QB next year if one is available 

On June 10, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Freemanm said:

Sorry, can't cut and paste in my phone. I know this isn't a big deal, but hey, it's early June...

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/christian-hackenberg-unimpressive-jets-otas/307154

Christian Hackenberg reportedly looking unimpressive at Jets OTAs

christian-hackenberg

If you were still thinking that Christian Hackenberg might be an option for the New York Jets if Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn’t work out, it’s probably time to let go of that notion.

According to ESPN’s Rich Cimini, Hackenberg has looked “like a typical rookie” during OTAs thus far – that is to say sloppy and inexperienced. Cimini describes his footwork as “robotic” and said his passes are prone to missing high and being inaccurate. Cimini goes on to describe one workout where Hackenberg twice threw over the head of his tight end on 15-yard pass attempts with no defense on the field.

Coach Todd Bowles isn’t worried about his rookie.

“Right now I expect him to look sloppy because he’s seeing a whole boat load of defenses that are coming at him daily, and there’s going to be a growth period,” Bowles said.

Cimini notes that second-year quarterback Bryce Petty hasn’t looked a whole lot better, so he doesn’t appear to be an option either.

So that leaves Geno Smith, who is currently penciled in as the team’s starter. With all this in mind, perhaps the Jets should reconsider whether they really want to move on from their pursuit of Ryan Fitzpatrick – or maybe consider an option such as this to supplant Smith as the team’s starter.

H/T Rotoworld

Cumin is a schmuck

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

Actually that's exactly what you do with second round picks, einstein :lol:

IMHO a 2nd round pick should have had solid college production and be able to contribute to the team success in a year or three, I think you gamble on 4th-7th round picks, if you look at the last 10 years, the Jets have not had great success in the 2nd round but have at least given themselves a chance with the exception of  Vlad and potentially Hack (I really hope he does well, but do not like the pick in the 2nd)

Hack - bad college production, ?

D Smith - Great college production, injury

Amaro -  Great college production, injury

G Smith - Great college production, forced into starting role too soon, could be starter this year?

Hill - no college production great combine, bust, ready for a career year in Carolina?

Vlad - bad college production, bust, beginning of the end for Tanny  

Harris - solid college production, Jets career player

Clemens - solid college production, still a viable backup, getting paid to play in the NFL 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Especially when you've gone on the record saying you passed on Paxton Lynch at 20 because you want all your 1st rounders to play as rookies.

29 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Especially when you've gone on the record saying you passed on Paxton Lynch at 20 because you want all your 1st rounders to play as rookies.

Yup, this GM is bad news, he's got a franchise QB sitting in his lap and he's screwing around with Fitzcrapsh*t and Hackenberg?? WTF??

1 minute ago, GenoTime said:

Yup, this GM is bad news, he's got a franchise QB sitting in his lap and he's screwing around with Fitzcrapsh*t and Hackenberg?? WTF??

I didn't like Lynch and wasn't on board with picking him at 20, but the logic makes no sense if you're going to take a guy like Hackenberg a round later.

Archived