Bryce Petty: My chance to prove they took the right guy the year before!

Villain The Foe

Jets can’t give up on Bryce Petty, who wants to prove team took right QB year before, so soon

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

Jets quarterback Bryce Petty seems to be at the bottom of Jets totem pole.

(ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Bryce Petty received a thunderous punch to the ego six weeks ago that has put his future with the Jets in doubt. The organization’s decision to take Christian Hackenberg in the second round naturally prompted questions about the brain trust’s belief in Petty, whose red-shirt rookie season was supposed to be a stepping stone for the former Baylor star quarterback.

Now, he’s lost in the quarterback quagmire.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the Jets’ preferred present, Geno Smith is the Jets’ default present and Hackenberg is the Jets’ preferred future. So, where does that leave Petty?

With Fitzpatrick hanging in the football ether this offseason due to a contract stalemate, Petty has been competing with Hackenberg to be Smith’s backup.

“You like competition,” Petty told the Daily News during Jets minicamp. “So it’s one of those deals like, ‘Okay, they did draft a guy. Now it’s my chance to prove that they took the right guy the year before.… They made a good choice when they drafted me.”

The organization wants Hackenberg to ultimately take over for Fitzpatrick or Smith, who likely is playing his final season with the Jets on the final year of his rookie contract (assuming he makes the Week 1 roster).

Petty might have a one year head start on Hackenberg, but he might also have a larger learning curve coming from a simplified spread college system.

“They chose the dude for a reason… because they have a slight doubt about my capabilities,” Petty said. “So for that, I want to take that personal. But the thing is it doesn’t matter if it’s Year 2 that they pick a guy or Year 12 that they pick a guy. I’m going to have that same mentality. Every time they think I can’t do something, I’m going to take it personal.”

Although quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo hasn’t put a timetable on when Petty, who has the requisite physical tools to excel at this level, will be ready to make a legitimate run at the starting job, there’s no denying that the pressure is on the second-year signal caller right now.

“I’ve never set a benchmark with him,” Patullo said. “It’s always kind of a process. You don’t know at what point it is going to all come together, because there’s just so much with this position that you always have to learn from day to day.”

Todd Bowles has seen Petty make mental strides, but there needs to be tangible on-field proof of improvement in training camp practices and the preseason for the organization to want to invest more time in him.

The Jets have had internal discussions about copying the 2000 Patriots' four-quarterback model during Tom Brady’s rookie season, but Petty’s roster spot isn’t guaranteed. Petty could be anywhere from the Jets No. 2 quarterback (behind Fitzpatrick or Smith) to a former Jet when the regular season begins on Sept. 11.

Bryce Petty (l.) and Christian Hackenberg.

Bryce Petty (l.) and Christian Hackenberg.

(HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

The Jets drafted Petty in 2015 as a two- or three-year project, but Hackenberg’s arrival might have changed the dynamic. Regardless, Petty is not about to go rogue and curse out the competition.

“You go out and compete, but it’s not like you want to rip the guy’s throat out,” Petty said. “At the end of the day, he’s your teammate. If there are questions that he has, I’m going to answer them. I’m not going to be a d--- about it. Fitz wasn’t a d--- to me about it. That’s not my style.”

Petty might have some bruised feelings, but he hasn’t let the organization’s decision to add another signal caller adversely affect his everyday approach.

“That’s the thing: Who do you get pissed at?” Petty said. “If you take it that way, I feel that it can (hurt) your own personal growth. So if you have negative energy about it, you’re going to come in here with a negative mindset about things.… If you have a positive mindset about it, you’re excited about coming out here. You’re excited about the competition. And you get to grow together. Then you can talk about the wins.”

Fitzpatrick’s return would push Smith, Petty and Hackenberg down in the pecking order. Would there be enough practice snaps to go around for everyone? Would there be enough time to develop two young quarterbacks?

“It’s going to be interesting how they divvy that stuff up,” Petty said.

Bowles’ admission that the Jets have discussed adding a veteran quarterback in training camp if Fitzpatrick isn’t back is likely tied to Petty and/or Hackenberg’s development later this summer. If either one plays well in camp and the preseason, the Jets might be comfortable sticking with three signal callers entering the regular season.

Petty hasn’t lit the world on fire in helmets and shorts this spring, which is indicative of nothing. He’s grown in his understanding of Chan Gailey’s offense, complex NFL defenses and nuances of playing the position that sometimes take a lifetime to master.

“I don’t feel like (my head) is swimming whereas last year I felt like I was swimming a lot of times,” Petty said. “I really had no idea. I was just so focused on what I had to do to make this play happen.… The next step is to be able to see things before they happen.”

He has too much ability for the Jets to give up on him so soon.

I don't get why everyone thinks drafting Hackenberg means the Jets no longer want anything to do with Petty. I don't see it as an indictment of him at all.  Mac is creating a healthy competition instead of putting all of their eggs in one basket (like the Jets did with Sanchez). Even if Hack turns out to be a bust, if that pick ends up motivating Petty to work even harder and become a good QB, then it will have been totally worth it.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You hve love to hearing the kid has some fight in him and he absolutely has the perfect mindset about the situation.

Him and Hack are very similar big strong throwers with some necessary development.  Should be interesting to see. 

I can't remember the last time the Jets collectively had three young QBs with as much potential as we have currently. 6'3" and above. Plus arms. Athletic. 

This is why I wish they'd just mive on from Fitz. 

Dude isn't making the 53. If OTAs are a sign of anything, Bryce has shown next to nothing with a season under his belt.

It's over. I wish it wasn't.... but I hope Petty-nation is prepared for his dismissal sooner than later.  

2 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I can't remember the last time the Jets collectively had three young QBs with as much potential as we have currently. 6'3" and above. Plus arms. Athletic. 

This is why I wish they'd just mive on from Fitz. 

2 out 3 ain't bad

43 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Dude isn't making the 53. If OTAs are a sign of anything, Bryce has shown next to nothing with a season under his belt.

It's over. I wish it wasn't.... but I hope Petty-nation is prepared for his dismissal sooner than later.  

OTAs are a sign of nothing but he got better and better each practice. Way better than Hack. There's not one reason to get rid of either of them at this point or any point this season. 

43 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

OTAs are a sign of nothing but he got better and better each practice. Way better than Hack. There's not one reason to get rid of either of them at this point or any point this season. 

really, i can think of a bunch. Like carrying 4 QBs... it's a waste. Who needs 2 projects? 

If turns it loose this preseason, then all bets are off. But he'd have to show more than just "some improvement"... For a guy with as much a moxy as some of you think -- he's had a hell of time climbing the depth chart. It's not looking good.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

really, i can think of a bunch. Like carrying 4 QBs... it's a waste. Who needs 2 projects? 

If turns it loose this preseason, then all bets are off. But he'd have to show more than just "some improvement"... For a guy with as much a moxy as some of you think -- he's had a hell of time climbing the depth chart. It's not looking good.

So you cut a 4th rounder showing improvement to keep a 2nd rounder who is a much larger project? That makes little sense. For a team not going to the Super Bowl, why not keep 4 QBs? Especially since finding a long term answer at QB is far more important. And if you cut Petty, you just know he figures it out elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Last I checked, we had 3 QBs on the roster. Assuming we sign Fitz, carrying 4 QBs is not even remotely a crime like you make it out to be. Its Geno's last year here. So we currently only have 2 QBs signed for 2017 and if we let Petty go, we'll have just Hack under contract. Not an ideal situation there either. And Petty is a 4th round QB. 4th round QBs aren't expected to be starters in year 2. Becoming one would be a pleasant surprise but no one is betting their house on that Im sure.

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Last I checked, we had 3 QBs on the roster. Assuming we sign Fitz, carrying 4 QBs is not even remotely a crime like you make it out to be. Its Geno's last year here. So we currently only have 2 QBs signed for 2017 and if we let Petty go, we'll have just Hack under contract. Not an ideal situation there either. And Petty is a 4th round QB. 4th round QBs aren't expected to be starters in year 2. Becoming one would be a pleasant surprise but no one is betting their house on that Im sure.

I doubt we hold 4 QB's on the roster, which means that if Fitz is signed Petty will be hitting the practice squad. They protected him from the practice squad last year because they didnt want him to be snatched up by another team. With the drafting of Hackenberg, there's really no reason to hide him on the 53. 

From the sounds of it, the Jets will be adding another veteran QB, no necessarily Fitz, but the fact that the Jets seem to be adamant about adding another vet QB gives indication that Petty hasnt progressed the way the Jets would have hoped after one season. He was a 4th round project, hopefully he wont be snatched off of the practice squad. 

I have to agree with Paradis here, carrying 4 QB's is a waste. Some would say that OTA's arent a sign of anything, but if you're not even impressing against air in shorts then I doubt that he'll suddenly impress in pads facing a pass rush. Then again, some guys perform better under pressure, but those type of individuals are rare. If you suck with shorts on its most likely that you'll suck in real football too. 

Look at the bright side, Geno isnt getting cut! :-) 

23 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I don't get why everyone thinks drafting Hackenberg means the Jets no longer want anything to do with Petty. I don't see it as an indictment of him at all.  Mac is creating a healthy competition instead of putting all of their eggs in one basket (like the Jets did with Sanchez). Even if Hack turns out to be a bust, if that pick ends up motivating Petty to work even harder and become a good QB, then it will have been totally worth it.

Drafting Hackenberg doesn't say that. Trying to trade up to #1 and then to #2 kinda says that they don't view him as a starter, though. Or anyway, they weren't willing to bet an extra season - or pass up on the opportunity for Goff, Wentz, or Hackenberg - on Petty.

I can't imagine there is a single person associated with the Jets (other than the other Jets QBs and their agents) who doesn't truly hope Petty develops into a great QB.

It makes as much sense to get rid of Petty as it does to keep him as the 4th wheel in the QB quartet  . With Geno going into his  final yr and Fitzpatrick hopefully not around after this yr, someone need to spend the year in Injured Reserved .  I can see a mysterious injury that happened in camp when the press was not allowed to watch popping up .

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So you cut a 4th rounder showing improvement to keep a 2nd rounder who is a much larger project? That makes little sense. For a team not going to the Super Bowl, why not keep 4 QBs? Especially since finding a long term answer at QB is far more important. And if you cut Petty, you just know he figures it out elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

I feel like you guys are intentionally avoiding knowledge... or being willingly ignorant. Take yer pick. 

The notion that Petty has shown any substantial improvement/progress or even just looked semi-tolerable -- is a fabrication of Jets fan love. The team has shown zero confidence in him to even be trusted with #2 duties... Look, I wish it wasn't the case - but y'all are flat out lying to yourselves if you think Petty's anything more than Practice squad fodder.

In order to justify keeping Petty in a league where most teams keep 2 QBs, he'd have show something really special in preseason action. Enough to warrant;

1. Not signing a veteran (Fitz or whomever) 
  2. Winning over coaches that he can start a game in case of injury
  3. There's hope for him competing in 2017

... I think that's what you guys are trying to say -- which of course I agree with -- EXCEPT he hasn't shown anything to suggest the above. Zero. He's been bad since day 1. 

I'm ready to be thrilled this august, but I ain't holding my breath.

For reference sake, those who seem to think "Petty's fine... everything's fine..."

This is what progress from a 5th rounder sounds like going into their second year:

Brett Hundley - QB - Packers

Packers 2nd-year QB Brett Hundley has "inspired total confidence in his coaches" after a solid OTA/minicamp season.

This showed up especially when the Packers let incumbent backup Scott Tolzien leave for Indianapolis without a fight. Per beat writer Ryan Wood, Hundley's competitiveness "has blown away teammates and coaches." On the field, he has shown a "live, powerful arm" and "his grasp of the offense is clear." Also a dual threat, Hundley could flirt with QB1 value in the Packers' talented offense if something happened to Aaron Rodgers.

Could you paint a more opposite picture? 

I'll be over here, in reality - if you guys want to join me. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I feel like you guys are intentionally avoiding knowledge... or being willingly ignorant. Take yer pick. 

The notion that Petty has shown any substantial improvement/progress or even just looked semi-tolerable -- is a fabrication of Jets fan love. The team has shown zero confidence in him to even be trusted with #2 duties... Look, I wish it wasn't the case - but y'all are flat out lying to yourselves if you think Petty's anything more than Practice squad fodder.

In order to justify keeping Petty in a league where most teams keep 2 QBs, he'd have show something really special in preseason action. Enough to warrant;

1. Not signing a veteran (Fitz or whomever) 
  2. Winning over coaches that he can start a game in case of injury
  3. There's hope for him competing in 2017

... I think that's what you guys are trying to say -- which of course I agree with -- EXCEPT he hasn't shown anything to suggest the above. Zero. He's been bad since day 1. 

I'm ready to be thrilled this august, but I ain't holding my breath.

We would've cut him already, especially since we seem pretty adamant on signing Fitz or another vet 

Mehta is wrong once again. The Jets brain trust as Mehta calls them wants Petty to elevate his game and take over the back up role. They do NOT want Geno on the roster if there's any possible way they can avoid it. They believe in Petty. They do not believe Geno Smith. In fact, they think Geno Smith is a f*cking punk just like every other normal thinking person.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

We would've cut him already, especially since we seem pretty adamant on signing Fitz or another vet 

There's no incentive to cut him before sept.. he's a camp arm. 

edit** Also the team, you, me, everyone wants to see him in live action this August first. I'm not saying it's impossible that he makes an unexpected leap but it's not looking good. At all. 

Archived