I've got 52 Players locked in.... who's your last pick?

32EBoozer

38 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the 53rd player may be the last OL cut from another team.

The Jets OL depth in particular looks and feels like one of the NFL's weakest.  That should mean that other teams will cut players who are better than those on the Jets roster.

I think this is spot on. It's going to be a lineman, just not one of the scrubs who couldn't open a hole last night.

42 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is a really, really, really good point. Sudfeld better have a good camp. He can make the team as a red zone target. But he isn't making the team as a blocking TE which your # 3 guy normally is.

I see amaro as a HBack also. if extra spot PLEASE Jets, use it on who coaches think is best ST player. We were horrific last year covering punts and returning punts. I think we are OK w/PR now, so get a damn fast Gunner on STs to nail PR ASAP and help Defense w/better starting field position. 

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

I see amaro as a HBack also. if extra spot PLEASE Jets, use it on who coaches think is best ST player. We were horrific last year covering punts and returning punts. I think we are OK w/PR now, so get a damn fast Gunner on STs to nail PR ASAP and help Defense w/better starting field position. 

Wouldn't Peake, Ross or one of the guys like Miles be used there?

I agree with someone who posted earlier.... grab a vet OL or CB when rosters get cut down.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think with Quincy as an H-Back we can afford to carry just 2 traditional TEs, so that opens up an other roster spot. :)

It will depend on how well he plays with whatever opportunities he gets, but I get the sense the CS wants to keep Sudfeld.  He's a key special teamer and I think has potential at TE.

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

QB..... all 4

RB(4)..... Forte, Powell, Robinson, Bohannon

WR(6).... Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Jalin M., Peake, Ross

OL(9).... Nick, Carp, Clady, Qvale, Shell, Winters, Gio, Dozier, Harrison

TE(3).... Amaro, Davis, Sudfield

DL(6)....Mo, SR, Leo, McClendon, Jenkins, Simon

LB(7).... Jenkins, Mauldin, Lee, Henderson, Harris, Reilly, Carter, Bishop, Barnes

CB(6).... Revis, Skrine, Milliner, Burris, Williams, McDougal

S(4).... Miles, Gilchrist, Pryor, Middleton, Bailey

ST(3) Folk, Edwards and Purdham

That's 52...... who's your last player?

IR.....Smith

Very similar to my 53. I have 5 D-linemen, 8 LB's and 11 DB's. That makes 53. 

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

You are correct that Johnson was at C, but didn't Dozier backup Mangold last season?

I think dozier may have taken a few snaps, but when mangold was out for the Oakland game they started johnson at C. he was a practice squad guy they called up... personally I'd love if the jets had a swingman OL they could plug in at G or C but idk if any of the guys they have are that versatile 

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Carpenter could always fill in at the Tackle position (Seattle) and then rotate one of Dozier, Harrison or Qvale if Clady goes down

I don't know really what to make of the jets OTs, outside of giacomini and clady (who's a bit questionable too) will they carry 3 backups in ijalana/qvale/shell?

Just now, cant wait said:

I don't know really what to make of the jets OTs, outside of giacomini and clady (who's a bit questionable too) will they carry 3 backups in ijalana/qvale/shell?

Hoping for a vet RT to shake loose when cuts come.

Can Breno and we've got a solid line with good depth (I think)

Trade Geno to a QB needy team for a solid RT.... If the line's solid, Fitz stays healthy

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

You don't cut the blocking fullback from a weak-QB team that requires the run in order to win.

There is always someone else who could be cut to kept on the P.S. as needed.  

Except of course that the power running game in no way shape or form fits the Jets talent. We should run 3 -5 wide almost exclusively and set up late running through early passing. Rex's ground and pound nonsense does not fit this team. Enunwa as a 3, and Jallin and Peak as 4th and 5th receivers is a nightmare for opposing defenses. You can create a matchup against a LB for any of the three at any time. We saw that last night. Screw the power running game and screw Bohannon. Far far more valuable people to keep than him

I'm not convinced Giacomini makes it through camp on the roster.

I had to look up the number (75), but I thought Shelby Harris Flashed last night.  

If Kellen Davis makes this team, I am driving to Floram Park and kicking Macc in the nuts.  

2 hours ago, hawk said:

I'm not convinced Giacomini makes it through camp on the roster.

I had to look up the number (75), but I thought Shelby Harris Flashed last night.  

If Kellen Davis makes this team, I am driving to Floram Park and kicking Macc in the nuts.  

-Jets are too thin at OT. Breno will make it. Even if a vet OT gets cut and is available via FA.

-Harris had 2 sacks. Yes, he was in the backfield quite a bit.

-Davis, like Breno will make the team. Saxton won't take his spot. Maybe if a vet TE is cut the Jets will pick him up and decide to go with the new guy, but I doubt it.

It was disappointing that Harrison was one of the last guys in and at tackle, rather than at guard. Despite only being in for a short time, he was beaten on the inside for a run stop and on the outside for a pressure. Harrison had a couple of kick-out blocks, but one of those saw him get away with a hold. His roster chances are looking extremely slim right now. I don't know if another year on the practice squad will benefit him, but right now you wonder if the team has basically given up on him.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/bga-offensive-line---reserves-hold-up-well-in-relief/195143648

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Except of course that the power running game in no way shape or form fits the Jets talent. We should run 3 -5 wide almost exclusively and set up late running through early passing. Rex's ground and pound nonsense does not fit this team. Enunwa as a 3, and Jallin and Peak as 4th and 5th receivers is a nightmare for opposing defenses. You can create a matchup against a LB for any of the three at any time. We saw that last night. Screw the power running game and screw Bohannon. Far far more valuable people to keep than him

Could Khiry be used as a blocking back for Forte??

He would be on the field more in certain packages, saves a roster spot, & gives him a few extra touches/game

After seeing how Ivory did against us, the only real "power back" on our roster is Robinson... unless Pierce makes the team.

Robinson and Pierce need to get on the field..... no roster spot gifts this year

3 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

I believe it will be a castoff from another team. Few if any teams do not add a player to their final roster. My guess it will be a DB just not sure who.

DB or OL.... seem to be our greatest areas of need (not counting QB)

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

At the expense of Carter or Reilly?

Although, after seeing Jarvis Jenkins play vs. Jax.... perhaps Bishop takes his spot?

I would say at the expense of Reily, in my opinion Bishop has more to offer. Carter is going to be a nice piece for the defense on coverage downs so I'd keep him but if Jenkins continues this downward trend he's on then you could make a case for cutting him but we won't be able to make that judgment until at least the 3rd preseason game.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:42 PM, Warfish said:

You don't cut the blocking fullback from a weak-QB team that requires the run in order to win.

There is always someone else who could be cut to kept on the P.S. as needed.  

respectfully disagree.  Enunwa does a good enough job blocking from the HBack position, and is much more of a matchup nightmare than Bohannon, that I'd rather see him out there on running plays than Tommy - if only because it wouldn't telegraph the play as much as having a run-blocking fullback on the field.  Add to that the fact that Forte is particularly used to running 1-back sets, and, IMO, what little you lose in blocking efficiency is more than compensated for by the threat to the D provided by Enunwa.  Bottom line - if the other team stays in its base D against the Marshall-Decker-Enunwa-Amaro/Davis-Forte look, you can get Enunwa matched up on a LB or know you have zone and likely success on passing plays.  If they bring in another CB to match up with him, that takes a LB off the field and makes the D easier to run against.  Bohannon brings none of that to the table.

28 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Why collect mediocre QBs? Does keeping Geno and/or Petty make this team better now or 5 years from now?

Yes. Keeping Geno makes this team better this year (Petty is progressing but not better, and Geno gives the team a better chance to win and stay in a playoff race if Fitz goes down for a game or 3), and keeping Petty makes the team better long term; he was drafted as a project QB with high upside, and he's currently on the trajectory you wanted to see from him when you drafted him - so you're basically in the same place you were on draft day: believing he's got a long term chance to be a real asset.  Cutting that player for a bottom of the roster special-teamer who isn't a potential big long term piece would be the epitome of short-term thinking.  If keeping Petty costs us a Howsare or Taiwan Jones or Jarvis Harrison ... so be it.  It doesn't hurt us on game day to keep him as one of the guaranteed game-day inactives, except if injuries hit us hard and we need depth somewhere else.  But that's a bridge that can be crossed when you get there.

FYI, I still expect Hackenberg to take a big hit in the 4th preseason game and be placed on season-ending IR with a shoulder sprain. 

53 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Why collect mediocre QBs? Does keeping Geno and/or Petty make this team better now or 5 years from now?

Better NOW because IF and WHEN Fitz goes down - gritty old vet that likes to run and a shaky O-Line - , you have two MUCH stronger-armed QBs who have a year in the system, playbook, and familiarity with receivers. The team should manage to carry-on as opposed to mid-season, last-minute signings of the Matt Flynns & Josh Johnsons of the world who are fodder. 

Some people here don't have a CLUE about contingency planning - just hark back to 2003, 2005, and 2007 when your starter & back-up go down - and that a team is BETTER OFF with a veteran back-up QB who has game-time starting experience. Case in Point: Ryan Fitzpatrick in Aug of 2015. 

20 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Yes. Keeping Geno makes this team better this year (Petty is progressing but not better, and Geno gives the team a better chance to win and stay in a playoff race if Fitz goes down for a game or 3), and keeping Petty makes the team better long term; he was drafted as a project QB with high upside, and he's currently on the trajectory you wanted to see from him when you drafted him - so you're basically in the same place you were on draft day: believing he's got a long term chance to be a real asset.  Cutting that player for a bottom of the roster special-teamer who isn't a potential big long term piece would be the epitome of short-term thinking.  If keeping Petty costs us a Howsare or Taiwan Jones or Jarvis Harrison ... so be it.  It doesn't hurt us on game day to keep him as one of the guaranteed game-day inactives, except if injuries hit us hard and we need depth somewhere else.  But that's a bridge that can be crossed when you get there.

FYI, I still expect Hackenberg to take a big hit in the 4th preseason game and be placed on season-ending IR with a shoulder sprain. 

This one "gets it"

On 8/12/2016 at 1:05 PM, Integrity28 said:

Sudfeld can be sent packing. He's just not a good player, give his spot to our 4th QB, and keep some other depth elsewhere.

Almost like some sort of a roster talent barrier which you hope your team becomes good enough to pass through.  If your is good enough to release the Sudfelds of this world then it says good things about the overall direction of the talent base.

"To infinity and beyond!"... or some such.

14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I would say at the expense of Reily, in my opinion Bishop has more to offer. Carter is going to be a nice piece for the defense on coverage downs so I'd keep him but if Jenkins continues this downward trend he's on then you could make a case for cutting him but we won't be able to make that judgment until at least the 3rd preseason game.

Sure, except that cutting Jenkins costs an extra $750K in cap space we don't have.  I'm all for it, though, if only to get that 2017 comp pick

Not much talk about Tompkins in this thread, but I'd be mildly surprised if the CS wants rookies in both the 4 & 5 WR spots. That leaves you with a rookie starting if BM or ED goes down. I guess Ross needs to stick as a returner. I think we keep 7WR, or put JM or Peake on the PS.

As for the 53rd spot -- given your roster, it certainly needs to be defense. I just don't see a 27 - 23 split between offense and defense as realistic.

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

respectfully disagree.  Enunwa does a good enough job blocking from the HBack position, and is much more of a matchup nightmare than Bohannon, that I'd rather see him out there on running plays than Tommy - if only because it wouldn't telegraph the play as much as having a run-blocking fullback on the field.  Add to that the fact that Forte is particularly used to running 1-back sets, and, IMO, what little you lose in blocking efficiency is more than compensated for by the threat to the D provided by Enunwa.  Bottom line - if the other team stays in its base D against the Marshall-Decker-Enunwa-Amaro/Davis-Forte look, you can get Enunwa matched up on a LB or know you have zone and likely success on passing plays.  If they bring in another CB to match up with him, that takes a LB off the field and makes the D easier to run against.  Bohannon brings none of that to the table.

I believe that Forte has stated that he prefers to run behind a FB.  Add to that that with Bohannon and Enunwa on the field at the same time that that doubles both our run & pass blocking ability.  Finally I believe the consensus is that the OL is the weak link of this 2016 team so I'd tend to give them more help rather than less help.  

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

respectfully disagree.  Enunwa does a good enough job blocking from the HBack position

No, he doesn't.  

, and is much more of a matchup nightmare than Bohannon

No, it isn't, not on explicit running plays.  Of which we will be runny many, many in 2016.

, that I'd rather see him out there on running plays than Tommy - if only because it wouldn't telegraph the play as much as having a run-blocking fullback on the field.

Fair enough, but it's not like I suggested we cut Enunwa to keep Bo.  sorry, a fifth string O-lineman or 4th QB isn't needed.  A running-dependant team, a FB is.  No matter how many "H-back"'s we think we have.

Add to that the fact that Forte is particularly used to running 1-back sets, and, IMO, what little you lose in blocking efficiency is more than compensated for by the threat to the D provided by Enunwa.

Poor analysis.  Our O-line is inferior now, not the roadgrading line it's been in years past.  Forte is older, with alot of miles and abuse on him.  And Powell (just as vital) goes down on the first contact, he's no Ivory by any means.

Blocking support will be vital to our running game, which is vital to our success on offense.  Cutting Bo, even if he is a spot-use player, is foolish if we're using that spot of a 4th QB or a fifth-string O-lineman who will never amount to anything.  

Bottom line - if the other team stays in its base D against the Marshall-Decker-Enunwa-Amaro/Davis-Forte look, you can get Enunwa matched up on a LB or know you have zone and likely success on passing plays. 

Great for passing game, inferior for the running game.

If they bring in another CB to match up with him, that takes a LB off the field and makes the D easier to run against.  Bohannon brings none of that to the table.

I think you vastly overstate Enunwa's skills as a blocker.  He's adequate for a WR-turn-H-Back.  He's no fullback.

P.S. See this article:  http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/128070-fb-tommy-bohanon-~-~-~/

You don't cut a RB when most of your RB's are hurt.

Again, go find the fifth string project O-lineman, because there always is one, and dump him first.  Of maybe just sarry three QB's like a normal team, even if that means cutting ties with Geno or Practice Squading Petty.  Frankly, PS'ing Petty seems easy, no one in the NFL is going to rush out to steal and roster Petty ffs.

On August 12, 2016 at 0:14 PM, LIJetsFan said:

I think with Quincy as an H-Back we can afford to carry just 2 traditional TEs, so that opens up an other roster spot. :)

On August 12, 2016 at 0:17 PM, bostonmajet said:

I agree; I would like us to eventually move away from a FB too.

I don't get this teams infatuation with Bohanon? He was one that overran the Sproles punt return I believe last year? I mean do they need him on goaline? What exactly is his purpose? Both Forte & Powell are better than average blockers in the passing game, so wouldn't you want Amaro, J.Marshall, Ross or Peake on the field instead? You force teams to go nickel & dime a lot deep into their depth they might not have in their secondary, which also allows you to change to running plays & smash the ball down these small teams throats! Nothing Finesse about Marshall, Decker & Enunwa blocking on the edges.

I'm creating my 53 man roster based on what the Jets did last year. 

The 2015 53 man roster consisted of:

QB-3

HB-4

WR-5

TE-2

OL-10

DL-7

OLB-4

ILB-4

CB-7

S-4

I changed the numbers up a little bit based on this years personnel. Here's my 53 man roster:

QB-3

Fitz, Geno/Petty, Hack

(Geno or Petty wilk be gone by week 4 of the preseason in my opinion) 

RB-4

Forte, Powell, Robinson, Bohanon 

WR-7

B. Marshall, Decker,  Enunwa, J. Marshall, Peake, Thompkins, Ross

TE-2

Davis, Amaro 

OL-9

Clady,  Carpenter,  Mangold,  Winters, Breno, Shell, Ijalana, Qvale,  Johnson

DL-6

Mo, Sheldon, Williams, McLendon, Jenkins,  Simon

OLB-4

Jenkins, Mauldin, Catapano, Bishop