Tyrod Taylor Signing for $90+ Mil

Jet Nut

Update: The Bills announced on their official website that they've agreed to a long-term extension with Tyrod Taylor. According to Tim Graham of the Buffalo News, the deal runs six years and is worth $90 million, but could be worth more with incentives. The contract also contains team options. 

That gives Taylor an average annual salary of $15 million, just south of the Andy Dalton contract described in the story below. The more telling figure will be the guaranteed portion of Taylor's deal, which has yet to be reported.

When the Buffalo Bills signed Tyrod Taylor last offseason, it wasn't necessarily with the idea that he'd end up as their starting quarterback. Taylor won a preseason competition against EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel, though, then had a very solid first campaign as a starter. He completed 63.4 percent of his passes at 8.0 yards per attempt while throwing 20 touchdowns against only six interceptions. 

Now, it appears the Bills are on the verge of locking him down long-term. Multiple reports indicated that he will soon sign an extension that could run as long as six years. 

It will be very interesting to see the final numbers on a potential Taylor contract. Other than Robert Griffin III, every starting quarterback that is signed for multiple years and isn't still on his rookie deal has an average salary of at least $16 million per season, per Spotrac. Taylor, though, has far less experience and a much shorter track record than any of those players.

It's possible his deal could have an average salary near that range, yet carry a lower guarantee figure, like the contract the Bengals gave Andy Dalton. Dalton's six-year, $96 million contract averages $16 million per year, but only $17 million total was guaranteed. Only 17.71 percent of Dalton's contract value was guaranteed. Compare that to the other veteran quarterbacks, who averaged 57.1 percent guarantees. 

Taylor seems likely to be closer to the Dalton end of the spectrum based on his career to date, but considering Graham's report that the Bills are "all-in," maybe we should be ready for a more typical long-term starting QB contract.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol... that's just idiotic.  I actually gave the Bills credit for getting a pretty good return on a scrap heap pickup of a QB, but giving that kind of contract to a guy that has 1 solid partial-year to his name is ridiculous.  I guess if he keeps improving from here they'll end up with a steal (assuming he doesn't then demand a new contract), but he's now already onto his 6th year, so they can hardly hold their breath for that to happen.

If it doesn't work out, this contract will be awfully Sanchez-esque of them... not that I have a problem with that.

I like Taylor but Im not sure if I would have given him this deal at this time. The Bills should have let him play out this year first. 

I wouldnt be surprised if this Taylor ends up being a good QB, though he hasnt proven it yet. Dont know why you would sign Taylor to 6/$90 when you basically have your HC on the hotseat (Playoffs or bust).

This^^^^ is what makes the Bills a circus. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I like Taylor but Im not sure if I would have given him this deal at this time. The Bills should have let him play out this year first. 

I wouldnt be surprised if this Taylor ends up being a good QB though. Hasnt proven it though. Dont know why you would sign Taylor to 6/$90 when you basically have your HC on the hotseat (Playoffs or bust).

This^^^^ is what makes the Bills a circus. 

I disagree, if the Bills forced him to go out, and prove it, and he does this would be a Bills sign Taylor to a 6 year 120 million deal next offseason.  And also if it is structured like Daltons then it's even that much better.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I disagree, if the Bills forced him to go out, and prove it, and he does this would be a Bills sign Taylor to a 6 year 120 million deal next offseason.  And also if it is structured like Daltons then it's even that much better.

IF he "proved it" then you have no problem paying the 120. If he isnt the guy then they're clowns for giving 6/$90 million. I havent looked at the specifics, but numbers in general, on top of the fact that the Bills basically put Rex on the hotseat, its ridiculous. What happens if he doesnt pan out and Rex needs to be fired? You just tied up that money in a QB that you probably dont want and a new HC will most likely want to replace. 

In otherwords, they didnt have to do it...especially if 30 million dollars was a concern. If you can come to the conclusion that he's legit then you'd gladly give that 30 million extra. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Taylor is a stud.  Shame we cant find a franchise QB.

Oh wait, is this another point and laugh at our ex-Head Coach who swept us and knocked us out of the playoffs thread? 

I think so as well, though he should have gotten the Kirk cousins treatment just to be certain. 

He does throw one of the best deep passes in the league, especially while on the run. 

17 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The Geno guys love this signing. This is a good sign for our Jets!

Can we find a way not to turn this into a Geno bashing thread? We totally understand that Geno support threads are considered "unreadable" in order to make way for the Geno bashing, but maybe we can keep this on Tyrod Taylor. 

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The Geno guys love this signing. This is a good sign for our Jets!

How does this correlate? Both players play extremely different styles of QB? What did you add to this thread except making it about bashing Geno and Geno fans?

Your correlation with Geno/TT is leading me to believe you're making this a race issue. smh.

Tyrod is a good QB. Perfect for someone like Rex.

However, signing him going into his contract year was a bad idea. Let him perform on a contract year. If he flails, you cut him, if he kills it you tag him. Don't kill the motivation of money.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Taylor is a stud.  Shame we cant find a franchise QB.

Oh wait, is this another point and laugh at our ex-Head Coach who swept us and knocked us out of the playoffs thread? 

Oh look, JiF running to the defense of Rex again.  You and Savage should start a "We don't care about Rex because he's not our coach anymore but will defend him in every thread" club together. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh look, JiF running to the defense of Rex again.  You and Savage should start a "We don't care about Rex because he's not our coach anymore but will defend him in every thread" club together. 

Not defending anyone.  I just want to make sure I know when and where to be part of the cool crowd. 

I'm very happy with Coach Bowles. 

Man these QB contracts are getting crazy! If they keep going up they'll hamper teams for years who are paying average QBs top dollar. The Patriots are the only team whose HOF QB literally keeps the Pats competitive each & every year by giving the Pats a home town discount.

The Saints SUCK because they have a greedy QB getting 25 million but they won a Super Bowl so nobody gives a sh*t. It doesn't look like there's a pipeline of AMAZING QBs. Denver won their Super Bowl with defense, Payton was a shell of himself last year & actually played average.

Fitz looks like a steal at 12 million,lol. A competent average QB who got us 31 TDs. Look at the Ravens, they also won a Super Bowl & it's been all DOWNHILL after resigning Flacco for that giant contract. If Cincy doesn't win this year it will be downhill for them. Let's watch & see what happens to Seattle going forward after the Wilson signing (they will lose very good players they can't keep). The NFL is now looking like a league where having a competent QB (making average $s) with a bunch of studs on O & D can get it done. QB salaries have taken such a jump the chances of paying for average QB play will be what derail franchises over the next 5/7 years. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Man these QB contracts are getting crazy! If they keep going up they'll hamper teams for years who are paying average QBs top dollar. The Patriots are the only team whose HOF QB literally keeps the Pats competitive each & every year by giving the Pats a home town discount.

The Saints SUCK because they have a greedy QB getting 25 million but they won a Super Bowl so nobody gives a sh*t. It doesn't look like there's a pipeline of AMAZING QBs. Denver won their Super Bowl with defense, Payton was a shell of himself last year & actually played average.

Fitz looks like a steal at 12 million,lol. A competent average QB who got us 31 TDs. Look at the Ravens, they also won a Super Bowl & it's been all DOWNHILL after resigning Flacco for that giant contract. If Cincy doesn't win this year it will be downhill for them. Let's watch & see what happens to Seattle going forward after the Wilson signing (they will lose very good players they can't keep). The NFL is now looking like a league where having a competent QB (making average $s) with a bunch of studs on O & D can get it done. QB salaries have taken such a jump the chances of over paying for average QB play will be what derail franchises over the next 5/7 years. 

Look, there's no denying whatsover that Tyrod Taylor had an awesome year.  20:6 TD:INT, 8.0 yards per attempt, completed 63.7 % of his throws, 16th in DVOA and 8th in DYAR.  And he's only 27.  On the heels of that there's no surprise on this.

But Tyrod fans will have to face pure physics on this one.  The guy is 6-0, 220 lbs.  And he ran the rock 104 times last season, 44 more times than Fitzpatrick, 30 more times than Russell Wilson, and 51 times more than Cam Newton (who, unlike Taylor, is built like a linebacker).

Odds are, if he continues running like that, eventually he's going to get hurt.  And that $15M per will look like a questionable decision.  There's also no guarantee he can repeat what he did last year as a thrower.  The league now has a year of tape on him.  The Redskins didn't hand Kirk Cousins a monster deal on the heels of his 1 solid season; they want to see more before putting up such a large financial risk.  Meanwhile, Rex is not exactly a Jay Gruden when it comes to working with QB's (understatement of the century), and if Greg Roman ever parlays his success into a HC job.....they're screwed.

The contract is insane for two reasons.

First, 6/90 for a qb who had 1 decent  season and does have injury concerns is wild. Talk about flipping the coin and hoping for the best. Why not just wait till the end of this season to see how everything works out? If its not a fluke season great, spend an extra mil or two a year and resign him. If he flops then you are completely screwed. Plus you have the added benefit of a guy playing for a major contract. Now you have a guy that knows he just made his lifetime payday. Money is the greatest motivator.

Second, Rex is on the hotseat with having to get into the playoffs. With all the talk about how brutal our schedule is this year, so is the bills. Lets say The bills go 9-7 and miss the playoffs. Rex is fired, Taylor falls off the cliff, or gets hurt. What quality coach are you going to bring in to take over when you have a large contract tied up with someone who is unproven?? This just stinks of terrible FO management and has Rex bravado written all over it. 

Archived