Are we more dominant without Sheldon Richardson in the lineup?

CobraVerde

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I just re-watched the game

richardson was manhandled one on one by a back up tackle for 3/4 of the game, but he came on in the 4th quarter

I remain unimpressed with sheldumb the unicorn

Same, he is the most overrated player on this team by leaps and bounds.

10 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Same, he is the most overrated player on this team by leaps and bounds.

It was his first game of the season and he did come on late. He is not the most overrated player on the team.  Until further notice the title belongs to Revis.

10 hours ago, Larz said:

I just re-watched the game

richardson was manhandled one on one by a back up tackle for 3/4 of the game, but he came on in the 4th quarter

I remain unimpressed with sheldumb the unicorn

While I'm not sure if he is the most overrated player or not, this is something to keep an eye on. Last year everyone got excited when Sheldon would join what was looking like a dominant D. What happened was there was actually a drop off.

I forget the numbers but there was some sort of records being threatened the first 4 games of last season with sacks.

Then the first game this year the Jets D got to Dalton more than any other game in his career.  Sheldon comes in and we get not one sack.  Containment game plan aside, that is something. 

On September 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Jet Nut said:

A few strange non calls.  I thought they should have acalled grounding on the play right before the Salas TD

I think it also had something to do with the TD. Bowles was going nuts and the team on the field was yelling for it and did not get set for the next play.   I can't believe they did not call that grounding.  

Aside from the game plan of keeping the running lanes closed, they stopped Tie-Rod behind the line several times on plays that did not look like designed runs to me. I thought they were going to be registered as sacks, so the zero sack total is kind of a technicality. They also stuffed a bunch of run plays behind the line. Buffalo seemed to have extra blockers in there on an awful lot of plays too...

Much ado about not very much.

On 9/16/2016 at 6:33 AM, CobraVerde said:

Yeah he had a big play but this was something I had my eye since last year when he served 4 games. It's one week 2 and his first week back but keep an eye on this.

Richardson has been a Jet for 3 seasons. 

Questions, when has this defensive line NOT been dominant? When has this defensive line been consistently more dominant without Sheldon? 

The question still remains whether the Jets DL is better as a primary 3-4 or a primary 4-3; it will take more then a 2 game sample (especially since this was Sheldon's first week back against a non-pocket passer). But for those who think that the #6 pick in the draft (maybe the best player in the draft) who is looking even better than he did his rookie year (who is also young) is going to be 'odd man out' especially when he is cheaper and doesn't have the off field issues, is just fooling themselves.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

While I'm not sure if he is the most overrated player or not, this is something to keep an eye on. Last year everyone got excited when Sheldon would join what was looking like a dominant D. What happened was there was actually a drop off.

I forget the numbers but there was some sort of records being threatened the first 4 games of last season with sacks.

Then the first game this year the Jets D got to Dalton more than any other game in his career.  Sheldon comes in and we get not one sack.  Containment game plan aside, that is something. 

I was watching him on run plays as well. One time he got stonewalled so badly he gave up.  I noticed it in preseason but figured he was just protecting his body.

Since he played better in the 4th, I will give him the mini bye to prove me wrong. Right now he looks like a guy coasting on his rookie year.

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

It was his first game of the season and he did come on late. He is not the most overrated player on the team.  Until further notice the title belongs to Revis.

Revis is basically the GOAT CB with nearly a decade of game changing play under his belt. Sheldumb, a nickname I like, is a spoiled kid first and football player second. He's very talented, I won't deny that, but he misses a ton of time on the field and strikes me as the kind of player who will fade away quickly once some goofball franchise pays him. 

Williams has been pretty much unblockable so far this season without being held (which the Bills did with impunity). LW has a higher upside, and a far less likely chance of being suspended for significant time.

Richardson is plenty overrated, a moron, and has had 1 good play so far this year, in limited time.

JF12 is ridiculous, but the more good players we have, the better....

On 9/16/2016 at 1:40 AM, JetsFan12 said:

Sheldon is the more athletic, explosive and instinctive football player.  You can prefer Williams because he seems like a good kid while Sheldon is a knucklehead and trouble maker but that doesn't change those basic facts. 

Sheldon is  no way more athletic than Williams.  And what you claim to be "facts" (sheldon being more athletic and instinctive) are, in fact, merely your opinions and not "facts" at all.  Your post is just weak sauce.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I was watching him on run plays as well. One time he got stonewalled so badly he gave up.  I noticed it in preseason but figured he was just protecting his body.

Since he played better in the 4th, I will give him the mini bye to prove me wrong. Right now he looks like a guy coasting on his rookie year.

I'm in the same camp. Not ready to give up on the guy really, but he has been slightly more problematic than helpful overall recently. It's a new point of interest for me and something I hope I am incorrect about.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Sheldon is  no way more athletic than Williams.  And what you claim to be "facts" (sheldon being more athletic and instinctive) are, in fact, merely your opinions and not "facts" at all.  Your post is just weak sauce.

Sheldon is a freak athlete, while Williams is above average at best.  I think it's ridiculous we are even comparing their athleticism.

Sheldon Richardson (6'2 285) Combine:

• 40 YARD DASH: 5.02 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 30 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 32.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 116.0 INCH

Leonard Williams (6'5 305) Combine:

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.97 SEC
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 29.5 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 106.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.59 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.53 SEC

Williams is bigger, faster than Richardson. Was consensus #1 talent in his draft. Richardson considered a "top 20 pick". 

Stop it.

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Somebody better tell Mac and Bowles this.  The Jets think Richardson is more talented than Wilkerson.  

This myth, even still? Even if they did, and I have serious doubts, they couldn't actually consider him the better or more important/valuable player. 

45 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Williams is bigger, faster than Richardson. Was consensus #1 talent in his draft. Richardson considered a "top 20 pick". 

Stop it.

Richardson is more athletic than Williams is. It really isn't that hard to see just watching them both move around. Neither of them is a phenom like Aaron Donald or J.J. Watt or anything. The thing with Williams is that he doesn't really have to be. He's a reactive player. He doesn't beat everybody off the ball because he's not trying to.

On 9/16/2016 at 9:04 AM, Integrity28 said:

Tons of tackles behind line of scrimmage, QB hurries, and play that should have resulted in sacks if not for Buffalo OL holding (called and uncalled).

If we clean up the mistakes in the secondary and elsewhere the D-Line pretty much pitched a shutout.  It seems we have a DL that absolutely nobody wants to face right now and it is good feeling to have.  Shades of the 86 team perhaps.

If the question of the day was which of out D Lineman has the biggest motor.  Hard to choose between the three of them to be honest.  I think Sheldon may be in a tie at the top but I don't think his is motor is actually behind either of the other two.  Now his decision-making on the other hand....

17 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Richardson is more athletic than Williams is. It really isn't that hard to see just watching them both move around. Neither of them is a phenom like Aaron Donald or J.J. Watt or anything. The thing with Williams is that he doesn't really have to be. He's a reactive player. He doesn't beat everybody off the ball because he's not trying to.

Combine stats dont tell the whole story but Sheldons numbers look better.  40 times are useless for dlineman.

On 9/17/2016 at 0:39 PM, SenorGato said:

Revis is basically the GOAT CB with nearly a decade of game changing play under his belt. Sheldumb, a nickname I like, is a spoiled kid first and football player second. He's very talented, I won't deny that, but he misses a ton of time on the field and strikes me as the kind of player who will fade away quickly once some goofball franchise pays him. 

Stick to baseball Gato .

On September 17, 2016 at 7:36 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Stop it.

1) Some of your numbers are wrong, and 

2) Richardson is more explosive.

Richardson actually weighed 294lbs and measured 6'2", so he's actually "thicker" than Williams.  Richardson had a 32" vertical leap and 116" broad jump.  Williams had a 29.5" vertical and 106" broad jump.

Archived