The only guy that should be safe

Jetster

7 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Well Hack was drafted, so I guess he wasn't undraftable. But I don't want to spoil all the whining on the here.

Mac may regret not taking Paxton Lynch ahead of the Broncos. Hackenberg has not progressed very much. I think the next QB is Petty.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so Macc is safe because it was rumored he wanted Wentz??!??  He drafted Hack.  That negates everything we thought about our FO and the QB position.

With that train of thought, Bradway would still be here because he "pounded the table" for Wilson.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

IMO Calvin Pryor is a main reason for the lack of coverage skills in Jets secondary. He can't cover ANYONE in space and can't tackle in space. He - for one - has got to go. I'm not saying cut him right now, but definitely draft or sign his replacement next season. He was another wasted first round pick by Rex.

He's definitely a box safety. Why did they pick up Antonio Allen if they weren't going to use him for games like this? Football is about anticipation too, and we don't have many that have it. 

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm sorry but I'm not going to blame Todd Bowles for yesterday. Fitz played at a level that gave us no chance. The team had so many chances and Fitz threw 6 picks,

Jalin Marshall should probably be inactive for a week to send a message. Give Robbie Anderson and or Peake a chance. Marshall has talent but you can't keep putting the ball on the ground.

I guess where Bowles messed up was not pulling him from the game and giving Geno a chance to try and save it.

Don't you think Bowles should have done something about it? Like benching Fitz? If not, what does it take?

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I think our DC needs to go, our defense is way more talented than they have played in the passed year and change. If we fire him at the end of the season i hear this guy up in buffalo will probably be looking for a Job, heard he knows how to run a defense.

I thought I read on here somewhere last week that Bowles was taking over DC duties from Kacy. Is this not true? 

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

IMO Calvin Pryor is a main reason for the lack of coverage skills in Jets secondary. He can't cover ANYONE in space and can't tackle in space. He - for one - has got to go. I'm not saying cut him right now, but definitely draft or sign his replacement next season. He was another wasted first round pick by Rex.

Pryor seemed to be missing a lot yesterday but overall, the defense didnt give up too many points.  that clock gaf of KC at the end of the half should have been some points.

Does anyone remember in 1998 when when Parcells finally turned to Ray Lucas AND took over the play calling because he was pissed & unhappy with his OC? 

Todd Bowles doesn't have those abilities, but he should have insisted to get back to running the ball more. They got so impatient it got comical. KC had LBs making plays in the passing game on outs? What? Why weren't we running up inside more when those LBs & Safeties were out there jumping routes?

You settle down opposing fans by running the ball more. Gailey started calling the game like we had Drew Brees back there, unless, and we'll never know this, did Ryan audible to a bunch of those passes? Is Gailey giving Fitz too much freedom in this offense? He's one of those QBs when you give him too much rope he hangs himself.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ironically no one else wanted Marshall so he wound up here Devin Smith another pick that puzzles me....

Bowles inserts Geno Smith he plays well we have a QB controversy on our hands and people start questioning Macc 

A player getting injured puzzles you? 

6 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm sorry but I'm not going to blame Todd Bowles for yesterday. Fitz played at a level that gave us no chance. The team had so many chances and Fitz threw 6 picks,

Jalin Marshall should probably be inactive for a week to send a message. Give Robbie Anderson and or Peake a chance. Marshall has talent but you can't keep putting the ball on the ground.

I guess where Bowles messed up was not pulling him from the game and giving Geno a chance to try and save it.

Right, but the difference is the game was still in reach. Coaches sit the starter down for the day when they waive the white flag. As bad as he was, Fitz is your guy and you give him every opportunity to deliver if the opportunity is there, and it was half a dozen times.

Remember when everyone here was screaming for a timeout before the half? Bowles was trying to save Fitz from himself, but all it did was delay the inevitable because that was one of the worst QB performances I have ever seen, period.

Does he still have those 3 first half TO's in his back pocket?

Do you think a QB change would have been prudent after Fitz's 3rd or 4th INT?

The first thing is an understandable grievance.

However, I'm not with you on taking out Fitzpatrick. I like that we have a coach that's willing to let guys chase records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Great point! We did have a competent HC for 15 minutes I recall when BP retired and BB was the HC of the NYJ for 15 M's LOL.

I agree with your sentiment regarding Bill Parcells. He has sorta dropped off the radar for years now. We are very fortunate in New England to have the historically best coach in NFL history in Bill Belicheck.

3 hours ago, The Troll said:

The first thing is an understandable grievance.

However, I'm not with you on taking out Fitzpatrick. I like that we have a coach that's willing to let guys chase records.

Chasing records does not a team make. That's an individual statistic, not team oriented. Unitl the Jets completely revamp their organizational philosophy, mediocrity reigns.

Chasing records does not a team make. That's an individual statistic, not team oriented. Unitl the Jets completely revamp their organizational philosophy, mediocrity reigns.

I forgot cats can't detect sarcasm. I still love you.

18 hours ago, Jetster said:

Is Macc! Just for the rumor that he was trying to move up to get Carson Wentz alone.  I believe in our GM & everything else can change again for all I care. 

Have any of you noticed the defense the Eagles are playing? This is after sending off Maxwell & Alonzo mistakes by Chip Kelly. By the way, their DC is a very accomplished guy that's had success before in Schwartz. Our DC is another Coaches pal who has shown no ability to scheme, adapt or make halftime adjustments. 

Until we rid ourselves of the overpaid underachievers we'll continue to spin our wheels. Revis, Harris, Gilchrist & Skrine are all average or below average players taking a huge amount of our salary cap & none of them played well enough to force a QB to pump the ball or hold it long enough for our Dline to get to the QB. Harris is the only leader of the bunch but he's a shell of what he was and has become such a detriment on the field that the Henderson/Jenkins injuries are clearly hurting the defense overall.  Sutton proved yesterday you can scheme a team & take away what they've been successful with, fooling a 12 year journeyman, over & over again baiting him into double coverages.

All teams make mistakes, it's the teams that continue to make THE SAME mistakes without making changes who never get better. Macc knows where the problems are and what players have no future here like Revis, Harris, Fitz, even Mangold needs to be replaced over the next 2 years. He was completely worth his contract but not anymore. What makes the Pats winners is cutting bait before it's too late. 

With this young Dline, the most important moves Macc will make is the reconstruction of this Oline to protect whoever the next young QB will be next year. It's also time to draft a stud young RB to take some pressure off. Here we are treading water again but at least the cupboard isn't empty this time. Mo, Leo, Sheldon (I would try to trade him), Lee, Jenkins, Burris, Winters, Carpenter, (Clady, depending on salary), Pryor (strong safety), Enunwa, Anderson, J. Marshall, Peake. 

Right now we're like the Lions, Rams, Chargers, Texans, teams with some good players that play UP & DOWN from week to week, just good enough to make most games interesting but just bad enough to have some absolute STINKERS. The idea that we can sit a QB for 3 years is absurd & unrealistic in this day & age, as Jet fans will want NOTHING TO DO with Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2017. You want to see a lot of empty seats at MetLife try selling that to the fans. Macc has to know we're very close to Petty time after yesterday, such a shame he hurt his shoulder. If Hackenberg isn't competing for the starting QB spot in camp next year if Petty is not the answer than there's no way in hell that Macc doesn't take another stab in next years draft.  Macc needs at least 5 years, Bowles is replaceable from what I've seen so far, Gailey is ready for retirement & Kacey Rodgers can go back to coaching Dlines & LBs somewhere else for all I care. 

I think the one legacy of this regime from Woody consulting with Charley Casserly will be the hiring of Macc & his scouts. 

Anyone with half a brain had Wentz rated over Goff and Lynch.

Goff is Pennington without his intelligence or heart and Paxton Lynch is a poor man's Kaepernick

16 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Bowles is still young (and so is Rodgers); since Bowles moved on from the ST coach last year, I think if he thought he needed to he would move on from Rodgers. Gailey, has done pretty well considering what he had. At a minimum you don't move on from Gailey until Fitz is gone, but there is no reason why they can't be grooming his replacment if he is on the team as Gailey is older than dirt, but in reality (except for yesterday) he has been one of the better OCs we have had.

I think unless the wheels come off the bus (like more games like yesterday) Bowles is here at least another year.

As far as the money goes, that is money down the drain, or under the bridge. 2016 is here.

I would expect Harris (6.5 million) and Breno (4.5 million) are gone next year and that frees up 11 million.

Clady and Mangold make up for 10 million and 9 million respectively. You are going to have a hard time replacing Clady with a vet for much less than that (as it is top 12 money), but you might be able to move on from Mangold (top 3 money). The odds are slim, but if we finish low enough you could replace both with rookies and save another 19 million.

Revis has a cap savings of over 7 million. Again, depending on how he is playing, it will be hard to replace Revis with a comparable CB for 7, but he is gone after 2017 (unless he restructures for safety money).

Releasing Skrine only saves 3.5 million due to the restructuring this year. But, Gilchrist for over 5 might be a casualty.

You can also save 7.5 by releasing Marshall, but he would have to fall off of a cliff, or become a locker room problem to even consider that as he is still the best WR on the team.

I don't see the Cap being a huge problem for us next year as there are a lot of options moving forward.

I agree that they're both "young" (or inexperienced in their current jobs, anyway), and therefore have the capacity to improve. That is the extent of my optimism. Unfortunately, I think they get a ton of undue credit for intelligence and competence due to calmness and not rambling incoherently with a microphone in front of either one. Also they both seem like genuinely nice people we'd like as friends or family. I'm livid with Bowles right now, and it seems so are you, but Maccagnan should not be remotely blameless.

Here's the problem with the above transactions, and you're dancing around it and think you do realize it as well: you're tearlessly talking of cutting ties with his main FA pickups only 1-2 years after their acquisition. Revis, Skrine, Marshall, Gilchrist, Clady, Harris. That's on top of cutting Cromartie after only 1 season. That's further on top of Fitzpatrick, whose team option should not be exercised & add to 2017's already locked in $5M dead space. So all of these transactions for all this money, and there's only one FA starter of his you aren't talking about moving: Carpenter (since it would no longer net much savings after MM already restructured his relatively cheap contract 1 year in).

Money simply burns a hole in Maccagnan's pocket. And he burned through too much of it just to assemble a veteran team to be QB'd by Geno Smith in 2015 and Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2016. Then he drafted major project QBs in back to back drafts, ensuring this current roster will be on its tail end or gone by the time they get realistic chances to start. Then something something else about carrying 4 QBs just like we're also now carrying 4 TEs, none of the lot showing they belong starting.

It's no stroke of genius, nor showing wisdom in any way other than his own near-term job preservation, to overspend and then push the current year's overspending onto next year. This doesn't even get into glossed-over moves like the 3-4 compensatory draft picks he burned through this spring in free agency also on the altar of the 2016 season alone. We were due as many as 4 (including a pair of decent ones for Snacks and Ivory, and don't forget comp picks can be traded next year). We'll end up with zero. There are many future opportunities squandered so we could pat ourselves on the back about, and overvalue the achievement of, a 10 win season (that ultimately ended in letdown anyway) when facing 13-14 easy matchups.

For all the early ballwashing, Maccagnan has a lot to prove as a GM, just like Bowles as a HC. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I agree that they're both "young" (or inexperienced in their current jobs, anyway), and therefore have the capacity to improve. That is the extent of my optimism. Unfortunately, I think they get a ton of undue credit for intelligence and competence due to calmness and not rambling incoherently with a microphone in front of either one. Also they both seem like genuinely nice people we'd like as friends or family. I'm livid with Bowles right now, and it seems so are you, but Maccagnan should not be remotely blameless.

Here's the problem with the above transactions, and you're dancing around it and think you do realize it as well: you're tearlessly talking of cutting ties with his main FA pickups only 1-2 years after their acquisition. Revis, Skrine, Marshall, Gilchrist, Clady, Harris. That's on top of cutting Cromartie after only 1 season. That's further on top of Fitzpatrick, whose team option should not be exercised & add to 2017's already locked in $5M dead space. So all of these transactions for all this money, and there's only one FA starter of his you aren't talking about moving: Carpenter (since it would no longer net much savings after MM already restructured his relatively cheap contract 1 year in).

Money simply burns a hole in Maccagnan's pocket. And he burned through too much of it just to assemble a veteran team to be QB'd by Geno Smith in 2015 and Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2016. Then he drafted major project QBs in back to back drafts, ensuring this current roster will be on its tail end or gone by the time they get realistic chances to start. Then something something else about carrying 4 QBs just like we're also now carrying 4 TEs, none of the lot showing they belong starting.

It's no stroke of genius, nor showing wisdom in any way other than his own near-term job preservation, to overspend and then push the current year's overspending onto next year. This doesn't even get into glossed-over moves like the 3-4 compensatory draft picks he burned through this spring in free agency also on the altar of the 2016 season alone. We were due as many as 4 (including a pair of decent ones for Snacks and Ivory, and don't forget comp picks can be traded next year). We'll end up with zero. There are many future opportunities squandered so we could pat ourselves on the back about, and overvalue the achievement of, a 10 win season (that ultimately ended in letdown anyway) when facing 13-14 easy matchups.

For all the early ballwashing, Maccagnan has a lot to prove as a GM, just like Bowles as a HC. 

Just remember a few things.

1. The cupboard was completely bare; Macc was building a team via the draft and FA. Signing people for 2 or 3 years is okay with me.

2. Not every FA acquisition is going to pan out; the good  news is that the contracts are voidable after a few years.

3. We were in danger of being below the minimum of the Cap. He had to spend a ton of money just to get back into the correct average.

4. The last few years has NOT been great for FA value; when you are forced to build via FA (as you cannot do enough in the year to fill the holes in the draft)

5. We are not taking into account some of his better FA like Carpenter and McLendon (not to mention the trade for Marshall).

In short, he has done some longer term FA acquisitions, some shorter term stop gap acquisitions, and has started to rebuild through the draft. He also pushed the cap to the limit to get back to minimum spending; most of his stop gap acquisitions can be cycled off of the team starting next year.

32 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Just remember a few things.

1. The cupboard was completely bare; Macc was building a team via the draft and FA. Signing people for 2 or 3 years is okay with me.

2. Not every FA acquisition is going to pan out; the good  news is that the contracts are voidable after a few years.

3. We were in danger of being below the minimum of the Cap. He had to spend a ton of money just to get back into the correct average.

4. The last few years has NOT been great for FA value; when you are forced to build via FA (as you cannot do enough in the year to fill the holes in the draft)

5. We are not taking into account some of his better FA like Carpenter and McLendon (not to mention the trade for Marshall).

In short, he has done some longer term FA acquisitions, some shorter term stop gap acquisitions, and has started to rebuild through the draft. He also pushed the cap to the limit to get back to minimum spending; most of his stop gap acquisitions can be cycled off of the team starting next year.

1. Signing people for 2 or 3 years is ok with me, too. Signing way overpriced players like Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Skrine to the contracts offered is never ok. Bad contracts are bad. They both rob the team of future assets in the form of better FAs we can't afford, fewer opportunities for younger players to compete for starting roles, and passing on superior players in the draft because that position is now taken care of. It leads to drafting for need rather than drafting for value.

2. I don't expect every FA acquisition to pan out, even if hindsight is a critic's best friend. :) Voidable future years is of little comfort because the money (and opportunity that went along with it) is still gone.

3. This is a false rumor. It's just not right. It would have been mathematically easy to get us above the cap floor without spending this much on these new players. It isn't a cap floor it's a spending floor that must be met. So for example, extending Mo a year earlier with a bunch of up front money, and restructuring other veterans to push future money to today, accomplish this goal without squandering future flexibility. In the end this will prove to have been the wiser route.

4. One is never "forced" to build through FA. One chooses to do this. There also has to be better balance. It doesn't have to be all-frugal like Idzik (pre-2014 midseason Idzik anyway) or wild spending like Maccagnan. Also if the bulk of these players are going to be seen as cuttable within 2 years, then that isn't building it's delaying.

5a. Carpenter and McLendon were excellent pickups. But you're crediting him for picking up his consolation prize in Carpenter (he went after Iupati hard and came up short, remember). Carpenter was just sitting there. I'm thrilled he's better than expected, but his once-bargain contract will now hit the $7M/year range because he's spent 2017 and 2018's cap space in 2015 and 2016. McLendon, though, was picked up because he didn't lock up Snacks when he could have. 

5b. Here's the thing with the Brandon Marshall trade. They came to us and made an offer he couldn't refuse, and he didn't refuse it. We had cap room and a widely-known need at WR and they came to us for a specific reason: they wanted Marshall off the team and they wanted us to fill the Jets' WR need prior to the draft. This way they could simultaneously get out of the Cutler-Marshall feud, save a bunch of cap space, and guarantee Kevin White would be there #7 so we wouldn't take him #6 (as many projected we would). MM's getting a ton of shrewdness credit here for merely picking up a telephone when Chicago called him with a no-brainer offer. What did you think, that he tricked them & put the squeeze on them because they really thought they couldn't get more than a 5th rounder for him (with 3 yrs left on his non-guaranteed, reasonable-salary contract) league-wide if shopped? I give you more credit than believing that.

Oh, and in no way does he get credit for trying to trade up for Wentz. He either didn't know squat, and thought he wasn't worth the compensation (most likely), or he did know (ok, "know") he'd be this good this early, which is even worse. The more one says he "knew" Wentz would be good, the worse of a GM he is for not getting him when he was get-able.

What do you think it would take to pry Wentz away from Philadelphia now? Bet your life it's more than Cleveland demanded in April. Philadelphia already had 2 startable QBs on the roster, in whom they were heavily invested financially, and they still made the move up to draft Wentz because they still weren't satisfied. They did the same last year, trying to get Mariota even after they had just traded for Bradford and re-signed Sanchez.

Well we didn't even have Bradford and Daniel. On draft day 2016 we had a disgraced Geno Smith and an unready Bryce Petty, and we watched the Eagles (the Eagles!) add another QB while we held onto our #20 pick and next year's 1st rounder and cave in to Fitzpatrick.

In hindsight it appears he was willing to trade up for Wentz only if he could get a bargain, when there are no bargains to be had in trading into the top 2 for a highly-touted QB prospect. The player MM was clearly locked in on was Christian Hackenberg, and it sure looks like he wanted every excuse to draft him. He was undoubtedly praying Lynch would go in the top 10 so Hackenberg could look like a comparatively good value selection in round 2 even if he didn't pan out, and a brilliant selection if he does. 

19 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

our defense remarkable didn't give up too many points for most of the game.  the loss was on FITZ.  he had a really bad game.  

Anyway @bostonmajet I don't think he's a dolt, and certainly isn't in the running for worst GM we've ever had, but he's made a lot of missteps and some were on full display Sunday (one in particular).

In two years the two best acquisitions he's made - L.Williams and B.Marshall - fell into his lap. One simply fell to us due to Washington inexplicably overdrafting a guard at #5 overall, and the other was offered specifically to us at a bargain price (surely less than they could have gotten league-wide) to get us to stay away from Kevin White (or Cooper if he happened to fall instead of Williams) at the top of the upcoming draft. 

He shouldn't be on the hot seat, but if we're talking about cutting loose of potentially everyone, I don't agree he should be singularly immune.

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. Signing people for 2 or 3 years is ok with me, too. Signing way overpriced players like Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Skrine to the contracts offered is never ok. Bad contracts are bad. They both rob the team of future assets in the form of better FAs we can't afford, fewer opportunities for younger players to compete for starting roles, and passing on superior players in the draft because that position is now taken care of. It leads to drafting for need rather than drafting for value.

2. I don't expect every FA acquisition to pan out, even if hindsight is a critic's best friend. :) Voidable future years is of little comfort because the money (and opportunity that went along with it) is still gone.

3. This is a false rumor. It's just not right. It would have been mathematically easy to get us above the cap floor without spending this much on these new players. It isn't a cap floor it's a spending floor that must be met. So for example, extending Mo a year earlier with a bunch of up front money, and restructuring other veterans to push future money to today, accomplish this goal without squandering future flexibility. In the end this will prove to have been the wiser route.

4. One is never "forced" to build through FA. One chooses to do this. There also has to be better balance. It doesn't have to be all-frugal like Idzik (pre-2014 midseason Idzik anyway) or wild spending like Maccagnan. Also if the bulk of these players are going to be seen as cuttable within 2 years, then that isn't building it's delaying.

5a. Carpenter and McLendon were excellent pickups. But you're crediting him for picking up his consolation prize in Carpenter (he went after Iupati hard and came up short, remember). Carpenter was just sitting there. I'm thrilled he's better than expected, but his once-bargain contract will now hit the $7M/year range because he's spent 2017 and 2018's cap space in 2015 and 2016. McLendon, though, was picked up because he didn't lock up Snacks when he could have. 

5b. Here's the thing with the Brandon Marshall trade. They came to us and made an offer he couldn't refuse, and he didn't refuse it. We had cap room and a widely-known need at WR and they came to us for a specific reason: they wanted Marshall off the team and they wanted us to fill the Jets' WR need prior to the draft. This way they could simultaneously get out of the Cutler-Marshall feud, save a bunch of cap space, and guarantee Kevin White would be there #7 so we wouldn't take him #6 (as many projected we would). MM's getting a ton of shrewdness credit here for merely picking up a telephone when Chicago called him with a no-brainer offer. What did you think, that he tricked them & put the squeeze on them because they really thought they couldn't get more than a 5th rounder for him (with 3 yrs left on his non-guaranteed, reasonable-salary contract) league-wide if shopped? I give you more credit than believing that.

1. Money spent in previous years to a point is water under the bridge; you can only carry so much forward; also you need to spend the minimum; and not on each year, but EVERY 4 year average needs to be above the minimum; also, he wanted to make sure that Bowles had enough players to build inertia moving forward. Cro's deal may be a little high, but when it didn't pan out he was gone. It is impossible to a) pay minimum all of the time and get quality - some times a player doesn't live up to the hype - Cro had a good year before.

2. voidable futures is a perfect hedge on a wrong choice (either player not playing well or not a good fit); it wasn't like there were 5 other guys lying around we couldn't sign. the FA market often sucks with available players. You look for value where you can, but you don't always get it.

3. Sorry, you are wrong. The cap is complicated. You have to meet the minimum averaged over ANY and EVERY 4 year period. Some things count, others don't. So if you spend on the bonus one year it counts but the dead money doesn't (or visa versa - i am not sure). You have to be careful to make sure you are under the cap, but over the minimum and they aren't calculated the same way. Also, you can't just re-sign existing players as you have to field a full team and you only have so many picks. Had he not invested and the secondary sucked he would get hammered. Some players didn't pan out, so be it.

4. Wrong. If you need 20 players and only have 5 picks you have to sign 15 in FA. It is just the way it is. You can't leave the cupboard bare to save for the future - you see how that worked out for Idzik. You sign for need and draft for BPA. As the team gets more balanced and with more talent you can cut back on FA and target more. The team was devoid of talent in so many areas, you have to sign FA or the draft won't fill the holes and you and up reaching. Again, you also need to hit the minimum; with drafted players they are slotted, so you have to pay enough to hit the minimum - can't just sign players to big deals year one and not spend in year 2 (and visa versa).

5. You can't have it both ways. You can't complain that you don't want him to overpay and then at the same time complain that he didn't land someone. Sometimes not closing the deal is better; should he have just payed Lupita what it took? what happened if he wasn't great, you would be complaining that he overpaid and locked us into a bad signing.

5a. So not only do you not give him credit for getting value for Carpenter and not overpaying for Lupita, but now he doesn't get credit for Marshall because it was handed to him? He could have overpaid for Lupita, he could have not signed Carpenter; if he was just sitting there, why didn't anybody else sign him. The Jets were the only team that could have traded for Marshall. Now you are just being silly.

We only have 2 options as fans:

1.  Go all in on Macc & Bowles and hope they grow into their roles swiftly.

2.  Wait for Woody Johnson to die before emotionally investing at all in this team.

If Woody couldn't get these hires right after bringing in all the right people to help make the decisions, he's really not going to get the next hires right either, or any important hires for that matter.  His track record is complete sh*t in that department overall and we'll have no hope until he no longer is the guy making the decisions up top.

Sad but true.

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Anyway @bostonmajet I don't think he's a dolt, and certainly isn't in the running for worst GM we've ever had, but he's made a lot of missteps and some were on full display Sunday (one in particular).

In two years the two best acquisitions he's made - L.Williams and B.Marshall - fell into his lap. One simply fell to us due to Washington inexplicably overdrafting a guard at #5 overall, and the other was offered specifically to us at a bargain price (surely less than they could have gotten league-wide) to get us to stay away from Kevin White (or Cooper if he happened to fall instead of Williams) at the top of the upcoming draft. 

He shouldn't be on the hot seat, but if we're talking about cutting loose of potentially everyone, I don't agree he should be singularly immune.

I didn't say he should be immune to criticism. But lets be fair. He did pull the trigger. The point is Williams diid fall into the lap of the Redskins and they let him pass. In fact 2 other teams that didn't draft a QB also had him 'fall into their lap' and didn't pull the trigger. Maybe because he had signed Carpenter (and the other wastes) he didn't have to draft for position, but he could draft the BPA. The Redskins clearly needed the OG so they drafted him; maybe they should have signed Carpenter (who was just sitting there and nobody wanted) and they could have drafted for BPA. Also, even when he fell, we are loaded on DL; we already had Mo and Sheldon (and snacks) - he could have easily passed on another DL and let him fall into the lap of the next team.

The reason we traded for Marshall at such a bargain is because no other team would give more. Period. Chicago didn't do us any favors, they got the best value they could. Clearly he could have gone to 10 other teams, but they didn't trade for him, so Mac took the sweetheart deal.

Give credit where credit is due.

21 hours ago, munchmemory said:

But like me, in your heart, you know Bellicheat would have been a disaster as our HC.  For no other reason than we're the Jets.  And that is the "Jet way".

I wonder about that, I really do watching them win Division Title after Division Title, and SB after SB ...

On 2016-09-26 at 2:06 PM, Smashmouth said:

Good Post the NFL is all about coaching and we have not had a competent coaching staff since Bill Parcells left.

AND if we give up on Bowles after two seasons, we are back to square one.  Wanna be a contender every year?  Pick a coach and stick with him. 

Dallas, Pitsburgh, New England, San Francisco.  The four top franchises in the league have less coaches between them the past 30 years than the Jets alone in the same time span.  There is a reason they are successful.

Archived