Jets claim AS Jenkins - Schefter

TaborJet

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Agree with the Tampa story... South Florida period is crack-cocaine to these guys. If you've got even 1 thug gene in your makeup, you're going full OG down in SoFla... Doesn't necessarily excuse behavior, but it's not the best place for success for guys like ASJ

and to take the "claiming him off waivers is fueling entitlement" arguments... here's a counter-thought - and basically what his agent probably already told him:

AGENT: Hey Austin, listen bro this isn't just a second chance in the big apple, this is your last stop in the NFL. All eyes are on you. You fck this up, you're phone won't be ringing. You've got a window to rehab yourself and your image - but under the NY spotlight if you blow it here, that's it. Not even the Redskins are gonna touch you. 

He may or may not screw up down the road in life (again), but if it's ever going to happen for him, it's going to be now. Even he will understand that. 

I heard there are no liquor stores in NJ, he should be fine

I'll drink to that!

he shouldn't .....all kidding aside

heres what I don't get with rich pro athletes, why don't they just take a limo.  They have all the money in the world.  Have the guy on speedial, get an uber just dont drive. I hope he gets it now.  

Why Jets' Brandon Marshall thinks Austin Seferian-Jenkins acquisition was 'God sent'

Austin Seferian-Jenkins
Can Austin Seferian-Jenkins stay out of trouble with the Jets? (AP Photo | Brian Blanco)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on September 27, 2016 at 5:58 PM, updated September 27, 2016 at 6:13 PM

NEW YORK — Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall was thrilled when he learned the organization claimed tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins off waivers Monday. 

"I was like, 'Man, this is God sent,'" Marshall said Tuesday. 

Shortly after Seferian-Jenkins was arrested for his second DUI on Friday — which resulted in Tampa Bay waiving him — Marshall reached out to the 23-year-old, who has disappointed since being drafted in Round 2 in 2014. 

Marshall had no idea, then, that the Jets might claim Seferian-Jenkins. And Marshall isn't focusing, now, on this perhaps being Seferian-Jenkins' last chance in the NFL, to prove he can be a capable and responsible player. 

"It doesn't matter if it's last chance or not," Marshall said. "It's life. You make mistakes. You live and you learn. I think that he's going to take advantage of this opportunity. He's still a kid. He's still young. And I'm glad that we got him.

"Guys need second chances. When you make a mistake, it doesn't mean you're a bad person. You need people to believe in you. And sometimes, a fresh start is a good start.

"I think we got a great player and a great person. And I think this fresh start is going to really help him out a lot. He's not a bad kid. But I think that there's a lot of growth that he can achieve now in the short term."

Marshall spoke Tuesday after a Jets charity event at Harlem's A. Philip Randolph Campus High School. The Jets donated $100,000 to New York's Public Schools Athletic League, to help launch a football program at Randolph High. 

Jets' 2016 game-by-game picks

Jets' 2016 game-by-game picks

Will the Jets make the playoffs?

Seferian-Jenkins was also arrested for DUI in 2013, during his college days at the University of Washington. Does Marshall worry that Seferian-Jenkins might be coming to the Jets with a drinking problem? 

"I would say this: We don't know if those are his issues," Marshall said. "I had a DUI before. And you live and you learn. There are a lot of people that make terrible decisions, but it doesn't make them terrible people.

"I would say from my interaction with him, he's an amazing guy. I think that this is a great place for him. It's a very welcoming place. And I think he'll be successful.

"I've been talking to Austin for a week now, before this [waiver claim] even happened," Marshall said. "That's one of the things that I do through Project 375. That's a passion of mine. We talk about being able to prevent and intervene early.

"I had people in my ear when I got to the NFL that were trying to help me, but they weren't really committed all the way through. When I see young men across the league that are suffering or suffering in silence, I feel like I'm obligated to help. When I saw what he was going through, I reached out to him [after his DUI], so we've been talking for a while now. I've known of him.

"Obviously, he's a great talent. Now, if he needs me, I'm there, and I've already connected him with the right people in the city that can help him if he needs it. I think he's great addition to our team. I'm so glad that we went and got him. Obviously, on the football side, he's going to help us out. 

"Austin is an awesome guy. He has a lot of energy. He reminds me a lot of me. One of the things that I talked to him about was, 'Man, if you need me, I'm here for you.' He was really responsive. We sat down and we talked about building a plan that would help keep him on the right page and successful." 

Regarding Tuesday's Jets charity event, the team's $100,000 donation to the PSAL also will help recondition helmets and provide USA Football Heads Up coaching certification.

Plus, Marshall is launching a program called Project Prevent — through his Project 375 foundation — that provides the Lucid mental training app to all PSAL football teams this season. Marshall wants to reach kids through his foundation, which raises awareness about mental health issues. 

"It was important for me to make sure our kids are in position to reach their full potential," said Marshall, who has struggled with borderline personality disorder. "If I had something in school that could've been preventive and intervened early, I may have not gone through a lot of the things that I went through." 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

That would be two DUI's.   And a really bad attitude.

We could use a few players with bad attitudes especially on the field I like the signing he can attend a few AA meetings and satisfy Mr. Goodell just mention Josh Browns 1 game suspension for domestic violence. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We could use a few players with bad attitudes especially on the field I like the signing he can attend a few AA meetings and satisfy Mr. Goodell just mention Josh Browns 1 game suspension for domestic violence. 

Don't you mean a "nasty streak?"  That is what the Jets could use.  Not a self-centered, wise-ass schmuck.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Badass guys yes nasty players who once they step on the field seek and destroy the other team. 

I agree.  A highly competitive, refuse to lose, mean SOB is a good thing.

ASJ is none of the above.  He is a lazy, disruptive, jerk-off.  Even his college reports said that he was just a talent with poor work habits and questionable character.

The Bucs apparently came to the same conclusion.

27 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I agree.  A highly competitive, refuse to lose, mean SOB is a good thing.

ASJ is none of the above.  He is a lazy, disruptive, jerk-off.  Even his college reports said that he was just a talent with poor work habits and questionable character.

The Bucs apparently came to the same conclusion.

Ok then lets hope he's a decent TE 

6 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

That makes no sense.  The Jets have NOTHING at TE.  This is no risk/high reward.

They still have nothing at te. This guy may be talented but he needs help. It's my opinion, not yours. Not only that, but chan does not use te's, he never has. We now have four te's on the roster, waste.

23 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

They still have nothing at te. This guy may be talented but he needs help. It's my opinion, not yours. Not only that, but chan does not use te's, he never has. We now have four te's on the roster, waste.

This is the line that's been pushed by the media since early last season but it's simply untrue.  While in Buffalo, TE Scott Chandler had 81 catches for over 900 yards and 12 TD's in Gailey's last two seasons.

Tony Gonzalez saw no drop in production under Gailey, catching 96 passes, the third-highest total of his career.

Surely if Gailey had no use for TE's, Chandler would have been a non-factor and Gonzalez wouldn't have had the season he did with Chan calling the plays.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/bga-scouting-austin-seferian-jenkins/203657528

Bent, theJetsBlog.com Follow on Twitter

Earlier this week, the Jets claimed former Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins on waivers. I've been researching and reviewing his film to try and assess what he brings to the table.

The 23-year old Seferian-Jenkins is listed at 6'5" and 260 pounds and was a second round pick in 2014. He has caught 45 passes for 603 yards and seven touchdowns in 18 games in his career so far. However, he's been injury prone and was waived by the Bucs after a DUI citation last week.

Let's recap Seferian-Jenkins' career so far and assess some of his strengths and weaknesses.

Note: Some stats from this article are exclusively provided by Pro Football Focus. 

Who is Austin Seferian-Jenkins?

Seferian-Jenkins was a three-year starter at the University of Washington and produced consistently over the course of his career with 146 catches and 21 touchdowns. He was sixth in the Pac-10 in 2012 with a career-high 69 receptions and won the John Mackey Award in 2013.

After deciding to enter the draft early in 2014, Seferian-Jenkins was selected by the Bucs with the 38th pick. The Jets selected Jace Amaro 11 picks later.

In his rookie year, Seferian-Jenkins caught 21 passes but he only played in nine games due to injuries. His second year also saw him miss nine games as he again caught 21 passes, although he doubled his touchdown output from two to four and increased his yards per reception average from 10.5 to 16.1.

Prior to being waived this year, Seferian-Jenkins had come off the bench in the first two games, catching three passes including a 30-yard touchdown reception.

Measurables/Athleticism

Seferian-Jenkins was coming off a foot surgery when he attended the scouting combine in 2014, but still dazzled with a 4.56 40-yard dash and a 37-inch vertical jump. The only other event he participated in was the bench press, on which he achieved 20 reps. On film, he doesn't really display agility or short-area quickness, but looks hard to stop once he gets up to speed.

He's a former basketball player, becoming one of the latest breed of players to make the transition. Clearly there are some transferable skills in terms of athletic attributes, hand-eye coordination, timing, and going after the ball.

Usage

Seferian-Jenkins has seen plenty of action out wide and in the slot since entering the NFL. He also lined up in the backfield at times in his rookie year, but not since. With the Buccaneers, he was often employed in-line rather than in an H-Back role.

Deep threat

With his speed, Seferian-Jenkins is a definite threat to stretch the field. At the NFL level, he has three touchdowns of 30 yards or longer, although one was on a Hail Mary pass and another was on a short pass. He had a lot of big plays in college too.

Here was his touchdown from this season's opener which showcases how well he can run and be an option over the top:

Routes

Seferian-Jenkins was not considered to be a particularly smooth route runner coming out of college, but with his big frame, he shows enough physicality to create separation. He seems to have particular success with running up the seam and then breaking to the outside, especially in the red zone.

Hands

Seferian-Jenkins has a below average hand size at 9.75 inches, but drops haven't been a major issue for him. He had four in 2015, but none of these were routine. Two were potential touchdowns, though.

On the whole, he has strong hands and looks natural catching the ball. He's displayed an ability to go up and get it, hang on when taking a hit and has even made a few diving catches.

He has lost one fumble in his career, though.

Yards after the catch

While not particularly elusive, Seferian-Jenkins does an excellent job of turning upfield after the catch and getting his momentum going forwards to pick up extra yardage. He doesn't break many tackles -although he did slip two on his way to a 41-yard touchdown in his rookie year - but he will drag tacklers with him and fall forwards at the end of a run.

Red zone

Seferian-Jenkins can certainly give the Jets another big pass-catching option in the red zone, in addition to run blocking in short yardage situations. Of his seven NFL touchdowns, four came from inside the 10-yard line.

Run Blocking

My initial impressions of Seferian-Jenkins' blocking abilities from watching 2016 preseason and regular season footage were that he is a little rough around the edges. I also didn't get the impression that he gave much of an effort. He's not particularly strong at the point of attack, will lose leverage and had a couple of whiffs in space. With that said, he is employed in-line, often as the inside guy in two-tight end sets, so he's closer to Kellen Davis than Amaro in terms of how he could actually be employed. He'd ideally be taking reps away from Davis, not Quincy Enunwa.

Despite my criticism were some positive contributions, although on some of these it seemed like he would lose leverage and then recover to use his man's momentum to take him out of the play, rather than cleanly executing a straightforward assignment. There was one excellent edge setting block where he crashed down on a defensive end though.

In search of more impressive highlights, I looked at some footage from earlier in his career and there were more flashes of ability and signs of consistency, especially in his rookie year. Did he start to become lazy or complacent in 2015 and 2016, perhaps?

One thing that was very noticeable was that he was capable of dominating against defensive backs but gave up too much ground against bigger players. On one screen block on the outside, he drove a cornerback 10 yards off the line and to the floor, but when tasked with holding up against a defensive end, he was routinely stood up and pushed into the backfield.

Seferian-Jenkins was called for holding six times in his first two seasons, including preseason games.

Pass Blocking

Seferian-Jenkins was asked to stay in to block quite regularly in his rookie year, but hardly at all last year. Maybe that's because of the shoulder injury he was dealing with during that season. He held up quite well as a rookie but has been beaten a few times in preseason action over the last three years. Most of these were because he was overpowered by a lineman, as he has a tendency to get too upright, making him susceptible to a bull rush but he is capable of staying in to protect against a blitzing linebacker or defensive back.

Instincts/intelligence

When plays break down Seferian-Jenkins has a knack for finding a soft spot in the defense to make himself a receiving option and I didn't see him blow too many obvious blocking or route-running assignments. He seemed less comfortable when blocking but showed some capability in terms of reacting to an initial loss of leverage to re-anchor himself.

Concentration and discipline can perhaps be an issue, as he's had a handful of dead ball penalties.

Special Teams

Seferian-Jenkins has not been used on special teams at the NFL level. His injury issues perhaps contributed to that. Typically, the Jets do expect their reserve tight ends to contribute on special teams so that might be something he needs to work at.

Attitude

The off-field issues are an obvious concern with Seferian-Jenkins who wrecked his Bucs career with his DUI and faces a likely suspension at the beginning of next season as a result. That wasn't his first DUI either; he also had one in March 2013.

There have also been concerns over his conduct and effort levels in practice. He went on a social media tirade last month after being kicked out of a Bucs practice.

In-game discipline has been an issue at times, too. He had an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for a celebration and a delay of game penalty for throwing the ball down after a catch.

Injuries

While he didn't miss much time in college, playing 38 games in three seasons, Seferian-Jenkins still had to have surgeries on his finger and foot while at Washington. In his rookie year, he missed seven games due to ankle and back issues and in year two it was a shoulder injury that caused him to miss nine weeks.

Conclusions

Seferian-Jenkins is obviously a talented player and has had some good production while healthy. However, with his off-field issues and durability concerns it will be interesting to see if the team views him as more of an immediate contributor or just a reclamation project.

I'm sure the Jets view this as a move where a player they think can help them came available so they pounced. However, coming just days after a listless offensive performance in Kansas City, some may view this as a bit of a desperation move to increase the offensive firepower at the team's disposal.

Last year's offense functioned despite a lack of production from the tight end, so will adding a potentially productive pass-catching tight end to the mix add a dimension to the offense, or could it instead lead to the weapons the Jets do have being spread too thin? After all, the season began with Matt Forté catching passes out of the backfield looking like it was going to be a feature element of the offense, but that's already disappeared over the last two weeks.

If things go well and the Jets opt to retain Seferian-Jenkins, he will remain under contract for next season, although you can expect a suspension at the start of the season. Having given up on Amaro, the Jets are probably hoping Seferian-Jenkins can emulate some of the things they were expecting Amaro to achieve with this team. With such poor production from the position over the last year-plus, it's a good opportunity for him to re-invigorate his career.

Maybe this can have a similar impact to when the Jets brought in Braylon Edwards early in the 2009 season, overlooking his off-field issues and giving him a chance to showcase his talent. That would certainly be a best-case scenario rather than my immediate expectation though.

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is the line that's been pushed by the media since early last season but it's simply untrue.  While in Buffalo, TE Scott Chandler had 81 catches for over 900 yards and 12 TD's in Gailey's last two seasons.

Tony Gonzalez saw no drop in production under Gailey, catching 96 passes, the third-highest total of his career.

Surely if Gailey had no use for TE's, Chandler would have been a non-factor and Gonzalez wouldn't have had the season he did with Chan calling the plays.

Chan doesn't use TEs. He just puts them out there and tells them to pretend to block. We already have two guys that can do that. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

Chan doesn't use TEs. He just puts them out there and tells them to pretend to block. We already have two guys that can do that. 

Chan doesn't use TE's he doesn't like.  If he had a good one, he'd use 'em.  Just as he has in the past.

If ASJ stays out of trouble, does anyone think he's only going to have one or two catches this season?

Just now, AFJF said:

Chan doesn't use TE's he doesn't like.  If he had a good one, he'd use 'em.  Just as he has in the past.

If ASJ stays out of trouble, does anyone think he's only going to have one or two catches this season?

He can block inline so he will be replacing Davis. ASJ is not a great blocker but he's better than Davis, and he can catch.

He would not be a replacement for Amaro who never ever was used inline. Not even in preseason. Davis was the only inline blocker we've had on the team since Chan has been here. That's why we don't throw to TEs. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

He can block inline so he will be replacing Davis. ASJ is not a great blocker but he's better than Davis, and he can catch.

He would not be a replacement for Amaro who never ever was used inline. Not even in preseason. Davis was the only inline blocker we've had on the team since Chan has been here. That's why we don't throw to TEs. 

That was my hope, but reading some mixed reviews on his ability to block.  I'd like nothing more than to see the Jets free up a roster spot by moving on from Davis.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

That was my hope, but reading some mixed reviews on his ability to block.  I'd like nothing more than to see the Jets free up a roster spot by moving on from Davis.

That's the problem with mixed reviews. They do not know the difference between blocking from the Y and blocking from H. ASJ is a Y TE. Those blocking assignments are far more difficult and are not something most receiving TEs would even know where to start. So ASJ is not a good blocker...for a Y but this is what gives him such potential. The league does not know how to handle a receiving Y TE. 

I've been watching Davis closely and I wish we would just sit him down yet he's out there every play whiffing or getting pushed into the running lanes. So we are certainly going to use a TE contrary to popular opinion. May as well be one that is a threat to make a play. 

1 hour ago, NYJ37/12 said:

We have 4 QBs also,one for each TE, how's that working out so far. 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

All true, but on those teams they were the primary options and we all know Gonzalez was more of the Enunwa role than true TE. For most of Chan's years the TE is not the focus. I could really care a less who the Jets throw to, just win. My only point in this thread is that the new TE we picked up needs some help, not football.

Just now, NYJ37/12 said:

All true, but on those teams they were the primary options and we all know Gonzalez was more of the Enunwa role than true TE. For most of Chan's years the TE is not the focus. I could really care a less who the Jets throw to, just win. My only point in this thread is that the new TE we picked up needs some help, not football.

Gonzalez was a primary....Chandler wasn't.

Can't disagree with your point though...who knows how many times he's actually getting behind the wheel after a few drinks if he's been caught twice?

Just now, NYJ37/12 said:

about as well as the four TE's. Bad use of roster spots.

Fair point, but even though they're listed at TE's, Bowman looked good on ST"s and he's more of an H-back, so maybe he works his way on to the field with Quincy playing more slot and/or outside.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...please get rid of Kellen Davis.

Archived