Jets claim AS Jenkins - Schefter

TaborJet

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must have done their due diligence on him. But there was a reason TB cut him and it wasn't lack of talent. Hopefully this is a Raiders style of pick up where the guy plays great. Bowles will leave him alone about his personal life unless the guy doesn't follow the rules or is a complete embarrassment. And he has not been suspended (yet) by the publicity conscious NFL.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

They must have done their due diligence on him. But there was a reason TB cut him and it wasn't lack of talent. Hopefully this is a Raiders style of pick up where the guy plays great. Bowles will leave him a long about his personal life unless the guy doesn't follow the rules or is a complete embarrassment. And he has not been suspended (yet) by the publicity conscious NFL.

Sometimes teams are under pressure to deal with situations like this.  The Jets or any team that would have claimed him are under no pressure.  He makes another mistake and you let him go, no harm no foul. 

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Sometimes teams are under pressure to deal with situations like this.  The Jets or any team that would have claimed him are under no pressure.  He makes another mistake and you let him go, no harm no foul. 

I just read the ESPN article on his acquisition and since the DUI was on Frtiday there could still be disciplinary action by the NFL. I didn't even know the Jets had the money to pay him or Spiller for that matter if they sign him, too. I'd like to see the FA running back we signed after he was cut the short kid from Seattle, I forget his name. I'd like to see them give him a chance the way we did with Anderson on Sunday. Who knows maybe he's another Danny Woodhead (who btw is out for the year).

11 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Old profile at draft.

Austin Seferian–Jenkins   TE   Washington

TALENT BOARD ROUND  4

STRENGTHS
Austin has excellent overall athletic talent to play his posiiton at a very high level for the team that drafts him. He shows on film good hands to catch the ball down the field and the ability to adjust to the ball in the air to make a difficult catch. He is big for his position, but handles in-line blocking very well and has the agility to block in space. He can be used on the outside in the red zone or as a move slot receiver in the middle of the field because of his athleticism. Austin has the physical tools to become a dominant and complete Tight End for the team that drafts him. He can be more than a pass catching Tight End if that’s what he wants to be. The question is, does he really want to be or does he just want to sign a big contract? 

CONCERNS
When I watch Austin on film, I see a deep lack of attention to detail of his posiiton. He runs lazy routes. He lacks football instincts and football common sense. He is not quick or explosive off the line into his blocks and doesn’t sustain his blocks. His blocking techniques in space are sloppy and, instead of dominating smaller players in the field, he just guides them. He has no idea where he is on the field and catches more balls out of bounds than the average player would think was possible. Seriously, this kid needs a seeing eye dog to identify the out of bounds lines on the field. He lacks mental toughness in general and when the play is away from him, he seems to lack the effort to finish his assignment. On passing downs, he catches the ball and is easy to bring down limiting the run after the catch yardage needed to make third downs consistently. There is more, but I’m getting tired and my head is hurting thinking of the rest. 

BOTTOM LINE
Austin thinks he is a Lamborghini; unfortunately, he needs to be more like a pickup truck for the team that drafts him. He has the talent, but not the work ethic right now. You can slide by on talent in college, but in the NFL, the only thing that improves your game is having the fortitude to improve because your talent doesn’t get better at the next level -- it only dissipates the longer you play in the league. I went back to last year’s DVD’s I have on Austin and it shows that when he is up against some SEC teams his game overall is lacking big time. Oh, he makes a couple of plays here and there, but overall running routes, catching the ball, blocking in line, and his blocking in space were surprisingly below average. The truth is, Austin doesn’t work hard enough on the field. He can be a lot better if he just finished his blocks and got off the line quicker. Austin could be better if he ran all his routes like he was the hot receiver and if he identified where the out of bounds is on the field. He could be better if he decided to try mentally to be on the same page as his quarterback, identify the blitz and cut off his routes or at least turn his head around to receive the ball quicker. He could be better if he was more of a team player and didn’t think that “effort” on every play was a dirty word. He could be, and should be, a lot better than he has shown this year. Everything with Austin is almost. He almost caught the touchdown pass if it was thrown with more accuracy. He almost had the block if the running back just was a little faster or cut quicker. He almost had the first down if the ball was thrown better and he almost picked up the blitz if the quarterback changed the blocking scheme. I call him Austin Almost – and now, I think you know why. Remember you draft with the information you have in front of you at the time of the draft. Austin could turn out to be an excellent Tight End in the future but for me, the future is now and now he is just average at best with the talent to be better. If you’re a gambler, you draft him early. If you’re a realist like me, you wait.

Drew Boylhart
JAN/2014

pretty good summary.

30 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I dont think macc is very worried about his job he has built a very talented team

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I just saw the signing as a desperation move.  Folks can spin it any way they like.  But that kid's record of trouble in his short career would turn away an exec. like Mcc if he were thinking clearly, not trying to appease the fans.

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I just saw the signing as a desperation move.  Folks can spin it any way they like.  But that kid's record of trouble in his short career would turn away an exec. like Mcc if he were thinking clearly, not trying to appease the fans.

I'm almost 100% sure he was claimed before Sunday's game.

12 hours ago, Dcronin said:

This is utter garbage. He is a true P.O.S. C.J. Spiller is absolutely done and not an NFL player.

This must be to stir the pot a bit. To what end I have no idea.

Chan Gailey simply has no plays for a TE. Never will.

DC

Well that's just not true. 

Scott Chandler with the Buffalo Bills in 2011.

He appeared in 14 games, registering 38 receptions for 389 yards and tying a team record for a tight end with 6 receiving touchdowns in a season.

2012, he played in 15 games, posting 43 receptions for 571 yards and 6 touchdowns.

So I guess Chan does have a few plays....

6 minutes ago, jackhuntr said:

besides leading the league in interception thrown, we also leading the league in "Jenkins" (3) 

It's like a Christmas song:

4 ringless decades

3 guys named Jenkins 

2 inactive QBs

And the worst starter in the whole league 

47 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Well that's just not true. 

Scott Chandler with the Buffalo Bills in 2011.

He appeared in 14 games, registering 38 receptions for 389 yards and tying a team record for a tight end with 6 receiving touchdowns in a season.

2012, he played in 15 games, posting 43 receptions for 571 yards and 6 touchdowns.

So I guess Chan does have a few plays....

not to mention Gailey was an OC with Kansas City during the Tony Gonzalez era... pretty sure that dude was involved in a couple plays here and there.

I think Gailey uses what he has to do what he wants. No sense in asking Davis, and the army of JAGs to run a bunch sh*tty slow hitch routes "just because". History as shown that when Gailey has a TE who can catch, he most certainly uses that player. 

47 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Sorry, not that guy.  Over the years, we've seen plenty of players like him who never learn the lesson. Just look at Greg Hardy.  Busted again.  IMO, we don't need that kind of distraction.

I was against this signing initially because not only does he have an addictive personality disorder which is bad enough all on it's own but he's an entitled loudmouth and he doesn't play up to his ability.  All that being said, we signed him and he's now a Jet.  He's got all the potential in the world alone with a great size.  I'm now officially hoping for a miracle because that is what it's going to take.  Go Jets! 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Sorry, not that guy.  Over the years, we've seen plenty of players like him who never learn the lesson. Just look at Greg Hardy.  Busted again.  IMO, we don't need that kind of distraction.

I know he had off the field issues prior, but for anyone that's not familiar with Tampa, it's easier to come across a strip club there than a supermarket. Having lived there for about 7 years, I've seen and known many people who've gotten DUIs. Not saying it's right, and/or defending him, but it's just easier for a feeble mind to fall apart down there than it is in Jersey.

For any baseball fans out there, little story. Josh Hamilton never had so much as a beer prior to being drafted by the Rays. He met Carl Crawford, and started going to strip clubs every night, and, we all know the rest. Many athletes go crazy in that city.

As for us claiming him, I agree that him being claimed doesn't necessarily "teach him a lesson" - but if he messes up again, he's gone instantly. The Jets clearly see him as worth the risk of having an incredibly talented 24 year old, at a position of need, for cheap. People do change, saying otherwise is nonsense. 

To mirror LIJF's post above, he's a Jet, and an incredibly talented one. We should hope he changes.

37 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

I know he had off the field issues prior, but for anyone that's not familiar with Tampa, it's easier to come across a strip club there than a supermarket. Having lived there for about 7 years, I've seen and known many people who've gotten DUIs. Not saying it's right, and/or defending him, but it's just easier for a feeble mind to fall apart down there than it is in Jersey.

For any baseball fans out there, little story. Josh Hamilton never had so much as a beer prior to being drafted by the Rays. He met Carl Crawford, and started going to strip clubs every night, and, we all know the rest. Many athletes go crazy in that city.

As for us claiming him, I agree that him being claimed doesn't necessarily "teach him a lesson" - but if he messes up again, he's gone instantly. The Jets clearly see him as worth the risk of having an incredibly talented 24 year old, at a position of need, for cheap. People do change, saying otherwise is nonsense. 

To mirror LIJF's post above, he's a Jet, and an incredibly talented one. We should hope he changes.

Agree with the Tampa story... South Florida period is crack-cocaine to these guys. If you've got even 1 thug gene in your makeup, you're going full OG down in SoFla... Doesn't necessarily excuse behavior, but it's not the best place for success for guys like ASJ

and to take the "claiming him off waivers is fueling entitlement" arguments... here's a counter-thought - and basically what his agent probably already told him:

AGENT: Hey Austin, listen bro this isn't just a second chance in the big apple, this is your last stop in the NFL. All eyes are on you. You fck this up, you're phone won't be ringing. You've got a window to rehab yourself and your image - but under the NY spotlight if you blow it here, that's it. Not even the Redskins are gonna touch you. 

He may or may not screw up down the road in life (again), but if it's ever going to happen for him, it's going to be now. Even he will understand that. 

Archived