Enough with the secondary. D-line's turn at the woodshed this week.

RoadFan

Oh no my friend, no bashing here - You are dead on balls accurate. These guys (DL) have some sense of entitlement and think they are WAAAY better than they actually are. Starting in the PS, they have stopped no one and it continues today. Mo Wilkerson? Hello? Earth to Mo have we met? Has Mo played at all in the last 5 games? Speed Racer is so over rated and has done nothing in his career except break the law and run his mouth exuding attitude. To me the only member of that DL that has shown up every week is Leonard. Still in all, they would be a lot better if they had a coach that actually knew what he was doing. It just looks like they are going into each game with this "I'm going to do what I'm going to do regardless of our opponent, and it will be good enough even if we lose" mentality.

Yeah, I think the root of it is that these DL are NOT 4-3 linemen. So, playing Richardson at OLB, even though he had a tackle, just isn't productive. I'd much rather have a real LB playing OLB than Richardson, who clearly can't rush from a LB position.

It's just stupid. Better to have a fresh DL spelling guys than 4 worn out, low impact dudes playing out of position.

Since week one, QBs have been calling 3-step drop quick throws.  If our DBs play up (like early in the games this season, they beat them over the top.  Then the rest of the game, we play soft to prevent the 40+ yard TDs and end up giving up underneath passes the rest of the game.  We could have Klecko and the rest of the NY Sack Exchange playing in their prime and it would help all the breakdowns we are having in the secondary.

Two positions that get you beat in this league, LT and corner.  

Mans let's not take our schedule for granted.  We have been the underdog in every game thus far.  I don't know that winning any of those games would have changed that fact.

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I would consider sitting Richardson for a game because the d-line only seems to show up when he's suspended. Both this year and last year it was the same thing.

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Great idea giving Mo that huge contract, with the way he has taken over games, wow.   We are lucky to have such a great player under contract for years to come.  

Is it Richardson, or Mo? I don't know, I don't think so. I think the Jets just play better in a 3-4 than a 4-3; I think it is a combination of that fact that Sheldon, Mo, and Leonard play better in a 3-4 and I think our LBs better at 3-4.

Today's loss was definitely on the dline.  We basically have 3 copies of the same player, no change of pace or speed rusher, a lack of toughness, no pass rush from any of our lbers and so forth.

All of our big guys are good at pushing the pocket, and dealing with double teams, and they even move well for their size so have good pursuit.  Problem is they rarely beat their guy one on one, they generate little pass rush,  they tend to gas near the end of halfs and they lack lateral explosion so tend to get caught on counters and misdirections.

Williams is still young, but he is usually handled 1-1 other than like one feel good play a game.  Richardson is great and imo playing the best of the bunch, but he's out of position.  Wilkerson is more or less always doubled, not quite the same as last year and doesn't seem to give a sh*t.

basically we'd be golden if we had a single OLB that could rush the passer, but we don't so there's no fear about taking their time and teams can focus on the big 3.

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Is it Richardson, or Mo? I don't know, I don't think so. I think the Jets just play better in a 3-4 than a 4-3; I think it is a combination of that fact that Sheldon, Mo, and Leonard play better in a 3-4 and I think our LBs better at 3-4.

Angles are actually very underrated in sports especially football

13 hours ago, JiF said:

They held Bell to 3.3 per run.  Williams is quickly becoming the best player on this team. Strip sack on Big Ben.

That said, this wasnt a game where you can use the "they're getting the ball out fast" excuses...Big Ben was doing his nails back there. 

I said he would. Only thing I'm smiling about this season so far... he's a monster. 

Wilk is the same "really good, without being impactful" player he's always been. Sheldon looks mis-used. The whole defense looks like it has 4-5 guys on every snap that are doing something out of their comfort zone. It's like the bizarro-world version of Belichek, Bowles finds out what they are good at, then has them do the opposite.

Ben looked like Brady and so many other QBs do against us... 3-5 seconds to throw. We could have 4 prime Revis's back there, but they'd still get burned, with being asked to cover that long. That's why I said in the "grades" thread, the secondary can't get an F without giving an F to the DL.

9 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Very underwhelming performance by the D line.  Hard to see a reason to expect them to turn it around any time soon, either.  These guys are mailing it in.  Post game comments by Wilk and Speed Racer were very asshollish, too.

Can you post them?

15 hours ago, RoadFan said:

We all know this secondary is 2014 Saints and the 0-16 Lions bad.  Since the Bengals game though, the D-line has gone 4 weeks in a row with zero pass rush.  Pathetic.  Bash away JN....

So lets address the issue with a first round pick on the D-Line. That should work.:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Wilk is the most overrated pos in sports not just football

Mo is very good player,  just not great and not worth the money they gave him.  Wait until the Jets are out of it and playing some bad teams and mo will finish the season with double digit sacks. There is no one player in football who makes more big plays when it doesn't matter than Mo Wilk. 

52 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I said he would. Only thing I'm smiling about this season so far... he's a monster. 

Wilk is the same "really good, without being impactful" player he's always been. Sheldon looks mis-used. The whole defense looks like it has 4-5 guys on every snap that are doing something out of their comfort zone. It's like the bizarro-world version of Belichek, Bowles finds out what they are good at, then has them do the opposite.

Ben looked like Brady and so many other QBs do against us... 3-5 seconds to throw. We could have 4 prime Revis's back there, but they'd still get burned, with being asked to cover that long. That's why I said in the "grades" thread, the secondary can't get an F without giving an F to the DL.

You're so bold.  That was quite the prediction. ;-)

Sheldon is the most overrated Jets player possibly ever and he's being misused. 

Mo was a hair away from making game changing play but he's been his normal self, steady as a rock.

What I'm seeing right now with this defense is Mangini all over again.  Square peg, round hole.  We have guys like you said, out of the comfort zone.  But its more than that, we asking them to do jobs, they simply cant do.  Lining up Marcus Willimas on Samie Coates and asking him to cover 1 on 1 when one guy is an Olympic Sprinter and the other runs a 4.6, is literally ******* moronic.  The worst part?  They didnt even know Samie Coates was an Olympic Sprinter.  And it goes on, Harris in coverage, Henderson guarding the best WR in the league, Sheldon in coverage...it goes on and on and on.  

It's Mangini trying to force a 4-3 attack team to play a "read and react" 3-4.

I'll give Rodgers credit, they tried to go zone.  And it was the ugliest thing I've ever seen.  It's like they've never installed a zone scheme before. Bizarre. 

Just now, JiF said:

You're so bold.  That was quite the prediction. ;-)

Sheldon is the most overrated Jets player possibly ever and he's being misused. 

Mo was a hair away from making game changing play but he's been his normal self, steady as a rock.

What I'm seeing right now with this defense is Mangini all over again.  Square peg, round hoe.  We have guys like you said, out of the comfort zone.  But its more than that, we asking them to do jobs, they simply cant do.  Lining up Marcus Willimas on Samie Coates and asking him to cover 1 on 1 when one guy is an Olympic Sprinter and the other runs a 4.6, is literally ******* moronic.  The worst part?  They didnt even know Samie Coates was an Olympic Sprinter.  And it goes on, Harris in coverage, Henderson guarding the best WR in the league, Sheldon in coverage...it goes on and on and on.  

It's Mangini trying to force a 4-3 attack team to play a "read and react" 3-4.

Eh, at the time, people expected Revis to be Revis, and Marhsall, etc.

Anyway, yea, I see Bowles and Gailey mis-using players all over the place. Combine that with the QB situation. Ugh.

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

No worries...just take a D-lineman with the 2nd pick in the next draft.  Problem solved.

Yes, I think a 5-2 would help tremendously!:lol:

Would be interesting if they draft an offensive player for once. They could use a couple decent offensive linemen as well.

More than anything, they need an actual good coach, instead of continuing to run Woody Johnson's Home For Wayward Defensive Coordinators. 

Anyway, the D line didn't look good at all, and I admit to shutting the game off mid 3rd quarter, but to that point I saw several fairly obvious holding penalties on the Pitt Oline not called. Not the typical "you can hold by grabbing the jersey when the guy is front of you" that is allowed, but more the kind of holding you see when the D Lineman has already beat the OLine guy. Just wondering if anyone else noticed it. I'm thinking about 3 obvious plays in the first half. 

It's hard to evaluate the line in a vacuum when everything we do on defense is compensating for the secondary. Ben isn't a running quarterback by any means but you can't let him roll out when the corners can't cover at all. This keeps us stretched horizontally and he just sits there and kills us over the middle. It wasn't like we were going after him and just not getting there, and if we'd tried that then it just would have been a different can of worms. Nothing is fine when you're 1-4 but the DL is still the least of my concerns. We have enough talent there to do pretty much whatever we want but we don't have enough anywhere else to do anything.

Archived