Drew Stanton has no ill will toward Jets over brief tenure with team

Gas2No99

Drew Stanton has no ill will toward Jets over brief tenure with team

• weinfuss_josh_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Josh WeinfussESPN Staff Writer

TEMPE, Ariz. -- If the New York Jets didn’t pull off a trade to land Tim Tebow in 2012, Monday night’s game between the Arizona Cardinals and the Jets could be a matchup between Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton.

Instead, Palmer and Stanton are sharing a locker room.

With a visit with the Chiefs to come and a potential reunion with Detroit still a possibility, Stanton, who spent the first five years of his career with the Lions, met with the Jets as free agency kicked off in 2012 to discuss being the backup to Mark Sanchez. He “really liked” Jets coach Rex Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum, quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh and the rest of the franchise.

“They said, ‘If you sign, you’ll get a chance and we won’t sign anybody else,’” Stanton recalled to ESPN. “So I said, ‘I feel good about everything here.’ I liked everything, the situation, felt comfortable with it. I signed.”

Stanton inked a one-year deal with the Jets on March 16, 2012.

Being a quarterback in New York was what attracted Stanton to the Jets.

“I think my mindset was to, obviously, help Mark,” Stanton said. “They were looking for somebody to do that but also, if I had an opportunity to play, it’s the largest media (market). All those positives that you hope for as a quarterback.

“I was looking forward to that opportunity.”

Stanton returned to Florida, where he was training, and began to prepare his move to the New York/New Jersey area. Five days later, on March 21, 2012, the Jets traded for Tebow from the Denver Broncos. The next morning, Tannenbaum publically declared that Tebow -- not Stanton -- would be the Jets’ No. 2.

That led Stanton to request a trade.

“I was trying to get answers,” Stanton said. “I tried to talk to the quarterbacks coach. He was like, ‘I have no idea what’s going on. This is above my pay grade.’ He was great about it. And, to be honest, Tannenbaum couldn’t have been more professional with everything the way it went down and helped me get out of there and into a great situation.”

When Stanton initially found out about the Jets' acquiring Tebow, he was frustrated, but being a five-year veteran at the time, he understood it was a business move, not a personal -- or personnel -- move.

“You realize this is a business and as soon as you sign on that dotted line, all of your leverage is given up, especially somebody in my position as a backup quarterback,” Stanton said. “I just knew I didn’t want to be around that kind of situation like had transpired the previous year in Denver, where Tim Tebow has an unbelievable following. He’s a great human being and sometimes the media that surrounds him can be overwhelming and I’m more of a guy that likes to stay in the background, likes to kind of go about my business.”

Almost immediately, Stanton and his agent formulated a plan. It landed him in Indianapolis a couple of days later, when the Jets traded Stanton to the Colts exactly a week after signing him.

As Andrew Luck’s backup in 2012, Stanton met Colts coach Chuck Pagano, with whom he still stays in touch. After Stanton led the Cardinals to a 33-21 win over the San Francisco 49ers on Oct. 6, Pagano texted him that night.

More importantly, though, Stanton met Bruce Arians while with the Colts.

Shortly after Arians was hired by the Cardinals in 2013, one of his first free-agent signings was Stanton, who was slotted as the starting quarterback at the time. Arizona traded for Palmer less than a month later.

But Stanton most likely wouldn’t have ended up with the Cardinals had the Jets not traded for Tebow. In fact, Stanton was part of a unique quarterback triangle in 2012: When Peyton Manning signed with Denver after spending 14 years with the Colts, the Broncos traded Tebow to the Jets, who traded Stanton to the Colts.

“It was great for me,” Stanton said. “I still absolutely love Chuck Pagano, revere him as one of the greatest men that I've met.”

Four seasons after his week as a Jet, Stanton calls the Tebow trade a “blessing in disguise.” He’s happy in Arizona, where he’s signed two contracts worth a total of $14.7 million.

“I don’t have any ill will,” Stanton said. “That organization, as far as the New York Jets are concerned, did a tremendous job of doing well by me when they didn’t have to.

“I think it’s all worked out for the better.”

We had to eat a couple million dollars by granting Stantonhis release. Totally not on him either, Rex and Tannenbaum made the collosal blunder of all blunders by deciding it was a good idea to sign Timmy Tebow. It still boggles my mind. These professional football "minds" thought it would be a good idea to sign Tebow. Wow. 

16 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

We had to eat a couple million dollars by granting Stantonhis release. Totally not on him either, Rex and Tannenbaum made the collosal blunder of all blunders by deciding it was a good idea to sign Timmy Tebow. It still boggles my mind. These professional football "minds" thought it would be a good idea to sign Tebow. Wow. 

Absolute INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And with decisions like these folks continue to say Tannyboy was doing a good job..

I know AFC Championship games... I know... I know...

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

It wasn't just that we'd signed him, but that we'd given up a solid pick for the privilege. Oh, and our GM was so eager to ink it he didn't read the trade agreement and I think we got stuck with still more of Tebow's bonus that should have otherwise been charged to Denver.

Bad as the Tebow acquisition was in hindsight, it really didn't matter in the end. Not because he only touched the ball maybe 40x all season (80% of that being designed rushing attempts), but because the damage had already been done when they extended Sanchez before the draft. Ideally they should have just left Sanchez's contract alone with no extension and head into the draft armed with just that. Maybe Stanton, I guess, since it would have been a veteran for Sanchez to beat out in order to keep his roster spot (except there's no way that group would've ever have considered cutting Sanchez to go into the season with Stanton as the starter).

But the crime of it all wasn't that 2012 season but rather that extending Sanchez and then trading for Tebow meant we weren't touching a QB in the draft. And as it turned out, the best of the QB class that netted 4 starters was just sitting there for us in round 2. Instead of trading up for Stephen Hill :bag: we could have stayed pat or even traded down a dozen or more slots and taken Russell Wilson. 

What great moves those were for Tannenbaum. To recap his choices were:

• keep our 4th round pick instead of trading for Tim Tebow at $5M
  • keep our 5th & 7th round picks instead of trading up 4 slots for Stephen Hill
  • possibly picking up say another 3rd or 4th round pick for trading down 6-13 slots from our original 2nd round pick
  • after trading down, select Russell Wilson in the bottom half of round 2
  • cut Sanchez instead of extending him, and recoup $20M in cap savings towards a good football player.

OR

• Mark Sanchez
  • Tim Tebow
  • Stephen Hill
  • $20M in less cap room, to use on Sanchez
  • $5M in less cap room, to use on Tebow
  • give up our 4th, 5th, and 7th round picks (but get back Denver's 6th - yay!)
  • then get fired
  • then have his replacement GM draft Geno Smith in the upper 2nd round of the upcoming draft, which then leads him to passing up on QBs the following year without the need to even trade up in round 1 (Bridgewater or Carr instead of Calvin Pryor) or round 2 (Garoppolo instead of Devin Smith).

We all have to be collectively dumber than **** to be fans of this sorry ass franchise. 

For those who are wondering...and I know everybody is.

Drew Stanton's career numbers:

14 TD's, 18 INT's, 53% comp pc.

As an aside, I hold no grudges against the late George Steinbrenner who didn't offer me a tryout with the Yankees when I met him in an airport terminal one day.

I was happy about the Jets signing Stanton since he would have been the first QB to actually push Sanchez at a time in his career when he needed to be pushed (not coddled)  

Stanton might not have been the answer but would have been much better for this franchise then Tebow mania especially with Rex and his tattoo

11 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

That was all Woody

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It wasn't just that we'd signed him, but that we'd given up a solid pick for the privilege. Oh, and our GM was so eager to ink it he didn't read the trade agreement and I think we got stuck with still more of Tebow's bonus that should have otherwise been charged to Denver.

Bad as the Tebow acquisition was in hindsight, it really didn't matter in the end. Not because he only touched the ball maybe 40x all season (80% of that being designed rushing attempts), but because the damage had already been done when they extended Sanchez before the draft. Ideally they should have just left Sanchez's contract alone with no extension and head into the draft armed with just that. Maybe Stanton, I guess, since it would have been a veteran for Sanchez to beat out in order to keep his roster spot (except there's no way that group would've ever have considered cutting Sanchez to go into the season with Stanton as the starter).

But the crime of it all wasn't that 2012 season but rather that extending Sanchez and then trading for Tebow meant we weren't touching a QB in the draft. And as it turned out, the best of the QB class that netted 4 starters was just sitting there for us in round 2. Instead of trading up for Stephen Hill :bag: we could have stayed pat or even traded down a dozen or more slots and taken Russell Wilson. 

What great moves those were for Tannenbaum. To recap his choices were:

• keep our 4th round pick instead of trading for Tim Tebow at $5M
  • keep our 5th & 7th round picks instead of trading up 4 slots for Stephen Hill
  • possibly picking up say another 3rd or 4th round pick for trading down 6-13 slots from our original 2nd round pick
  • after trading down, select Russell Wilson in the bottom half of round 2
  • cut Sanchez instead of extending him, and recoup $20M in cap savings towards a good football player.

OR

• Mark Sanchez
  • Tim Tebow
  • Stephen Hill
  • $20M in less cap room, to use on Sanchez
  • $5M in less cap room, to use on Tebow
  • give up our 4th, 5th, and 7th round picks (but get back Denver's 6th - yay!)
  • then get fired
  • then have his replacement GM draft Geno Smith in the upper 2nd round of the upcoming draft, which then leads him to passing up on QBs the following year without the need to even trade up in round 1 (Bridgewater or Carr instead of Calvin Pryor) or round 2 (Garoppolo instead of Devin Smith).

We all have to be collectively dumber than **** to be fans of this sorry ass franchise. 

As much of an abortion as the current season is that 2012 season was 100x worse.

The Giants just won the super bowl and here we are screwing around with Tebowmania and Stephen Hill.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Damn the decisions this team has made over the years................

I haven't really followed Stanton since he left (though I had seen him a little at Mich State and was happy the Jets signed him).  Has he been good for AZ?

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I haven't really followed Stanton since he left (though I had seen him a little at Mich State and was happy the Jets signed him).  Has he been good for AZ?

He's been atrocious but carried to some wins similar to Sanchez's time here.

He's completed roughly 53% of his passes which would make any other NFL QB seem competent.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

As much of an abortion as the current season is that 2012 season was 100x worse.

The Giants just won the super bowl and here we are screwing around with Tebowmania and Stephen Hill.

People who act like this is about Stanton don't get it. 

It wasn't Stanton at all but rather it was the lack of a coherent long term plan that was disturbing. No way in the world could the Jets count on Tebow being a difference maker or keep on acting like Sanchez was going to magically turn into Tom Brady.   

The whole Tebow saga has left most of gun shy and why some are more down on the Hack pick than they might otherwise have been,

The question a lot have is why is it always the Jets and their leadership feel that they are always somehow smarter than the rest of the NFL when making picks and moves    Even getting Sanchez to start was considered a dumb move by every other NFL TEAM as well as his college HC Pete Carroll!!  

Think if the Jets had made moves for a middle of the way singnal caller that year we might have gone to the SB!!

Sanchez wasn't ready and as his career has progressed he more than likely will never be ready, but he had red flags all over him due to his inexperience when first came out for sure  

This isn't about Stanton at all and what he thinks.   

No, the bone head moves we made were guaranteed to produce bitter fruit for the Jets and eventually cost the GM and the HC their jobs. 

Let's all pray it is not happening again. 

If they weren't going to play Tebow (which they didn't - they let him throw like eight passes) then we'd of had a much better 2012 season with Stanton. Mark played poorly and should have been benched a lot earlier than he was. Rex refused to start Tebow even though he had nothing to lose. I mean how much worse could it have been. They obviously had no offense in tact that they thought he could run even though Rex bragged during preseason that they did.Stanton imo would have been a lot more successful than Sanchez or McIlroy was. 

17 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If they weren't going to play Tebow (which they didn't - they let him throw like eight passes) then we'd of had a much better 2012 season with Stanton. Mark played poorly and should have been benched a lot earlier than he was. Rex refused to start Tebow even though he had nothing to lose. I mean how much worse could it have been. They obviously had no offense in tact that they thought he could run even though Rex bragged during preseason that they did.Stanton imo would have been a lot more successful than Sanchez or McIlroy was. 

I agree Stanton would have been a better option..

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

People who act like this is about Stanton don't get it. 

It wasn't Stanton at all but rather it was the lack of a coherent long term plan that was disturbing. No way in the world could the Jets count on Tebow being a difference maker or keep on acting like Sanchez was going to magically turn into Tom Brady.   

The whole Tebow saga has left most of gun shy and why some are more down on the Hack pick than they might otherwise have been,

The question a lot have is why is it always the Jets and their leadership feel that they are always somehow smarter than the rest of the NFL when making picks and moves    Even getting Sanchez to start was considered a dumb move by every other NFL TEAM as well as his college HC Pete Carroll!!  

Think if the Jets had made moves for a middle of the way singnal caller that year we might have gone to the SB!!

Sanchez wasn't ready and as his career has progressed he more than likely will never be ready, but he had red flags all over him due to his inexperience when first came out for sure  

This isn't about Stanton at all and what he thinks.   

No, the bone head moves we made were guaranteed to produce bitter fruit for the Jets and eventually cost the GM and the HC their jobs. 

Let's all pray it is not happening again. 

FINALLY!!!! THANK YOU!!

SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN GETS THE POINT OF WHY THIS ARTICLE IS RELEVANT!!!!!!!!  :rolleyes:

Archived