Maccagnan mid season presser happening now

Matt39

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That Tebow won a playoff game means he's good?  Tebows a better QB than any QB if he didn't play in the playoffs?  Ok, explains your logic

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There's a brilliant answer that explains your posting style.  

Tim Tebow won a playoff game in case you didnt understand the first time i posted it something our starting QB has never done. 

The NY Jets ruined Tim Tebow. 

Anyone but Ryan Fitzpatrick is still my answer we are 3-7 he leads the NFL in INT's

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Tim Tebow won a playoff game in case you didnt understand the first time i posted it something our starting QB has never done. 

Anyone but Ryan Fitzpatrick is still my answer we are 3-7 he leads the NFL in INT's

quoted this so that we can all read it again.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

One more time.  So that means Tebow is better than any QB without a playoff win. Or is Tebow another player you've never seen play but will talk about?  

The Jets ruined Tim Tebow?  Lol, you typed this and decided to hit submit?  How about the Pats, they killed him off.  BB the QB killer.  

I know, anyone but Fitz.  You keep repeating it like it makes you smart not having an option

49 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You can sell this point to Bengals fans as well...

Nothing?  You consider our GM to be nothing he's an integral part of the mess here he caused most of it. This forum is for fans to discuss the NY Jets thats what I'm doing there is also a great feature free and available to you its called IGNORE USER if you don't like me or my posts use it and save others the agony of reading your back and forth nonsense banter to me every time I post something  you disagree with. 
joewilly12 

Or you could just ignore yourself and save just about everyone here the agony of reading your constant negative whining

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan has failed us all cant understand why no one realizes this. 

The GM's job is to improve the team from year to year. 

Dude, you really need to shut up. Mac has brought in more players and better players than the last two Jets GM's COMBINED. Yes, he overpaid Revis, but only because Revis has "hit the wall" physically and doesn't have any speed (or much desire) left. Mo Wilkerson is an absolute lying turd. He took the money and is now on cruise control. That is on him, because if Mac had let him walk you would be crucifying him FOR THAT MOVE. Mac can't win with a guy like you obviously. IMO Mac is doing the job of GM better than anyone the Jets have had in decades.

4 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Dude, you really need to shut up. Mac has brought in more players and better players than the last two Jets GM's COMBINED. Yes, he overpaid Revis, but only because Revis has "hit the wall" physically and doesn't have any speed (or much desire) left. Mo Wilkerson is an absolute lying turd. He took the money and is now on cruise control. That is on him, because if Mac had let him walk you would be crucifying him FOR THAT MOVE. Mac can't win with a guy like you obviously. IMO Mac is doing the job of GM better than anyone the Jets have had in decades.

Dont tell me to shut up. 

In 2009-2010 we made it to back to back AFC Championship games Mac hasnt sniffed the playoffs. 

3-7 and in last place in the AFC East says different.  FACT 

Mike Maccagnan has proven and accomplished nothing here. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

For which I blame the head coach. Who has more impact on players than he does? Obviously there are some members of this team that lack respect for Bowles and I don't guess I have to name names do I? Revis is no longer a shutdown corner, BOTH safeties are a joke and the QB situation has brought the circus big top back to One Jets Place. That my friend is on Todd Bowles NOT Mike Maccagnan. I case you haven't been reading, Mac apparently does not have the power to fire Bowles, but they are obviously on different pages. What other GM in Jets history has done better than Mac in his first two years? Tannenbaum was a reacher and paid luxuriously and Idzik produced what TWO players from a 12 player draft? And he gave us Geno Smith in a draft that included Russell Wilson.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

For which I blame the head coach. Who has more impact on players than he does? Obviously there are some members of this team that lack respect for Bowles and I don't guess I have to name names do I? Revis is no longer a shutdown corner, BOTH safeties are a joke and the QB situation has brought the circus big top back to One Jets Place. That my friend is on Todd Bowles NOT Mike Maccagnan. I case you haven't been reading, Mac apparently does not have the power to fire Bowles, but they are obviously on different pages. What other GM in Jets history has done better than Mac in his first two years? Tannenbaum was a reacher and paid luxuriously and Idzik produced what TWO players from a 12 player draft? And he gave us Geno Smith in a draft that included Russell Wilson.

2009 -2010 back to back AFC CHAMPIONSHIP games................  Macc drafted Lee and undersized LB and Hackenburg who isn't ready and Jenkins who hasnt shown a thing

Picks 1 2 3 they should be helping this team win games 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2009 -2010 back to back AFC CHAMPIONSHIP games.

For which Rex Ryan is responsible and NOT Tannenbaum. Look who he drafted in those years. 2008 Mark Sanchez and Shonn Greene - neither of whom is with the team. 2010 he gave us the great Kyle Wilson (with Gronkowski on the board), Vladimir Ducasse (first AND second place in ugly contest), Joe McKniight (did he ever play?) and John Conner, whose only claim to fame was Rex nicknaming him the Terminator. In 2011 it was Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Bilal Powell and Jeremy Kerley. In 2012 he gave us Quentin Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis, Josh Bush and Antonio Allen. In 2013 Idzik struck gold in Richardson and Brian Winters. In 2014 it was Pryor (bust),Jace Amaro, Dexter McDougle, and Quincy Enunwa who has been on a milk carton lately. You named four players Mac brought in. How many of these two guys draft picks are still here and producing?  Powell, Winters, Wilkerson, Richardson and Enunwa, that's it SINCE 2009.

Todd Bowles has final say on Jets' QB decision, but questions emerge

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Dickhead
    ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few thoughts and observations on New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, who met the media Wednesday for his annual State of the Union address:

1. The looming quarterback decision has cast a light on the coach-general manager dynamic. This is important because this isn't your typical quarterback situation. Maccagnan himself said it's "more complicated than some people realize."

Coach Todd Bowles has "the final say," according to Maccagnan, who said he will consult with Bowles during the decision-making process. I'd give anything to be a fly on the wall during that conversation.

As a coach, Bowles lives in a week-to-week world. His job is to win games, and he has said he'll pick the quarterback that gives him the best chance to win. Based on that premise, you have to think he'll select Ryan Fitzpatrick over Bryce Petty, assuming Fitzpatrick is healthy.

As a GM, Maccagnan's job is to see the big picture, and the big picture is clear: Petty must play. They need to determine if he can be their starter in 2017 even if it costs them some games this season.

Ideally, the coach and GM should have a checks-and-balances partnership, but Maccagnan always has been mindful about not stepping on Bowles' turf. The coach should have the final say on who plays, but Bowles needs to have an open mind and be willing to play for the future if that's what Maccagnan recommends. Stubbornness may win a couple of extra games, but it won't help the franchise in the long run.

2. Maccagnan said he has "no regrets" about re-signing Fitzpatrick for $12 million after their interminably long stalemate. In retrospect, it looks like a horrible decision, but it was the right move at the time. In my opinion, the only criticism is they didn't get it done sooner.

3. I came away from the 30-minute sitdown thinking Darrelle Revis is playing his final six games as a Jet. Maccagnan wasn't critical of the declining Revis, but it wasn't hard to read between the lines. He said there have been "glitches in his play," and he gave only lukewarm responses when asked about Revis' overall effort. I asked Maccagnan, point blank, if he considers Revis a top-five corner, and he replied with a non-answer, saying they have to evaluate it after the season. The GM declined to commit to Revis for 2017, a rather stunning non-endorsement when you consider they owe him a fully guaranteed $6 million.

4. Maccagnan made a curious comment about Bowles: "He's going to be a very good head coach in this league." Going to be? That quote jumped out. (I noticed that phrasing as well, implying Bowles IS not a true well-rounded HC at present, not encouraging) Asked to assess the current Bowles, Maccagnan said simply, "I think Todd is going to be a very good head coach in this league and I think he's doing a good job right now." His word choice was interesting. Maccagnan doesn't control Bowles' fate -- both men report to owner Woody Johnson -- but the GM's words certainly carry weight.

5. ****Deon Simon should feel pretty good about himself. Maccagnan offered unsolicited praise of the backup nose tackle -- a seventh-round pick in 2015 -- mentioning him prominently among a group of young players on the rise. In fact, Simon got more love than any other player.*** I am VALIDATED! Said this in JUNE, Snacks, like ALL NGs are expendable and Simon would step right in and do just as wellPerhaps trying to squash the perception that the Jets are an old, broken-down team, Maccagnan emphasized the promise of their young players -- Darron LeeLorenzo Mauldin, Devin Smith, Juston BurrisRobby AndersonJalin Marshall and Charone Peake. He also praised Ben Ijalana and Wes Johnson. He had me until he complimented Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who has made no impact whatsoever.

6. So, Mike, about those efforts to trade Sheldon Richardson ... crickets. He declined to confirm or deny that he shopped Richardson before the trading deadline. Translation: He shopped him hard. Chances are, those efforts will resume after the season.

7. Maccagnan on Christian Hackenberg: "We like Christian. .... We see a lot of potential in him. We knew, going in, there are things he needs to improve upon." He said Petty made "quite a bit of improvement" from Year 1 to Year 2, and he expects the same from Hackenberg.

8. Maccagnan's update on Erin Henderson was ominous. You may recall the linebacker, who has a history of alcohol-related issues, was placed on the non-football injury list last month. "He's taking some time to deal with a few things," the GM said. "We'll address that at the end of the season." The equivalent of trying to make some $$ off a junk bond, I laud Mac's taking a chance on a talented player on the cheap, but it didn't pan out. Hope Henderson gets better.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Dont tell me to shut up. 

In 2009-2010 we made it to back to back AFC Championship games Mac hasnt sniffed the playoffs. 

Stop already 

7 hours ago, C Mart said:

I saw this and understand the list but the list can be distinguished by the fact that the successful teams on that list that have a HC reporting directly to the owner and thereby exercising a weak GM model all have seasoned owners who know NFL football.  

So for example the Giants are not IMO analogous to the Jets, in so far as they are well established football folk and like Jerry Jones and can't be compare to a relative novice like Woody Johnson.  

These exceptions to basic rule of the strong GMs actually are the exceptions that prove the rule.  

That is of course if you have knowledgeable ownership they are going to be involved with the day to day intrigue surrounding the team but if you don't know as an owner you stay out until you really know through winning what to do. 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

4. Maccagnan made a curious comment about Bowles: "He's going to be a very good head coach in this league." Going to be? That quote jumped out. (I noticed that phrasing as well, implying Bowles IS not a true well-rounded HC at present, not encouraging) Asked to assess the current Bowles, Maccagnan said simply, "I think Todd is going to be a very good head coach in this league and I think he's doing a good job right now." His word choice was interesting. Maccagnan doesn't control Bowles' fate -- both men report to owner Woody Johnson -- but the GM's words certainly carry weight.

Shots fired.

Given that Bowles and Mac aren't tethered to each other, because of the inane corporate structure Woody is employing, it is no surprise to me to see Mac clearly seeding accountability for this season's mess. Smart play.

Dont tell me to shut up. 

Wow

Unbelievably awful post

He is 100% right

Please shut it

The Jet GM Hall of Shame is a steady line of disasters from Weeb to Hickey to Steinberg to Tannenbaum to Idzik...

Mike Maccagnan is arguably the first ever New York Jet GM SUCCESS STORY

Dont tell me to shut up. 

Wow

Unbelievably awful post

He is 100% right

Please shut it

The Jet GM Hall of Shame is a steady line of disasters from Weeb to Hickey to Steinberg to Tannenbaum to Idzik...

Mike Maccagnan is arguably the first ever New York Jet GM SUCCESS STORY

8. Maccagnan's update on Erin Henderson was ominous. You may recall the linebacker, who has a history of alcohol-related issues, was placed on the non-football injury list last month. "He's taking some time to deal with a few things," the GM said. "We'll address that at the end of the season." The equivalent of trying to make some $$ off a junk bond, I laud Mac's taking a chance on a talented player on the cheap, but it didn't pan out. Hope Henderson gets better.

Obviously fell off the wagon. Sucks, wish him luck in getting straightened out.

2. Maccagnan said he has "no regrets" about re-signing Fitzpatrick for $12 million after their interminably long stalemate. In retrospect, it looks like a horrible decision, but it was the right move at the time. In my opinion, the only criticism is they didn't get it done sooner.

**** you, MACCCCCCC. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I saw this and understand the list but the list can be distinguished by the fact that the successful teams on that list that have a HC reporting directly to the owner and thereby exercising a weak GM model all have seasoned owners who know NFL football.  

So for example the Giants are not IMO analogous to the Jets, in so far as they are well established football folk and like Jerry Jones and can't be compare to a relative novice like Woody Johnson.  

These exceptions to basic rule of the strong GMs actually are the exceptions that prove the rule.  

That is of course if you have knowledgeable ownership they are going to be involved with the day to day intrigue surrounding the team but if you don't know as an owner you stay out until you really know through winning what to do. 

So was this a big topic and issue when Mccagnan and Bowles were hired?  I don't recall it being one. 

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

So was this a big topic and issue when Mccagnan and Bowles were hired?  I don't recall it being one. 

No it wasn't ...

I mentioned it on the site that shall not be named :) but I just feel Woody is a good owner who is a little reactionary at times. He tends to react rather than having a plan.

Two years ago Rex played the good soldier and publicly supported Idzik but any nut knew that the Jets were bereft of talent but Woody turned around and said that Rex never said anything when Rex was for the most part restricted in his daily football contact with Woody.

Then Woody hires Bowles before the GMs real input and then says the HC will be able to speak to the Owner daily about football descisions. 

Is it the end of the world????? NO.

Just a reaction from the Owner rather than a plan.

I could care less at the end of the day the organizational structure. They could consult a Ouija board at this point I just want to win!!

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bad enough the Jets ruin my football Sundays I'm not going to let them ruin my Wednesdays by listening to the excuses and the indecisiveness of our incompetent GM. 

Sounds like your Wednesday is already ruined

48 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Obviously fell off the wagon. Sucks, wish him luck in getting straightened out.

Too bad, feel bad for him. But he's running out of chances. Wish him well.

Good thing we get to watch Julian Stanford more tho......:unsure:

18 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This was done by Woody because Idzik was't reporting everything to Woody which was one of the reasons for Rex' dismissal.  Woody didn't want that kind of miscommunication again.

That being said it IS ANOTHER DUMB MOVE!!!

Yes the HC should be able to speak to the Owner, of course!!

But the HC should not in effect have a way to do an end run around the GM!!

I said it when it was announced that it was dumb then and it still is DUMB!!!!

totally agree.  i don't understand this whole even level chain of command thing.  it might be different if woody was an active owner like jerry jones and had a clue about football.  maccagnan and bowles are the only two football guys in the upper echelon of the jets.  if woody wants to play this kind of game he really needs someone to advise him and provide him with a bs test for whatever mac and bowles are saying.  of course that would undermine both bowles and mac in the process.

19 hours ago, gEYno said:

Mike Maccagnan still believes in Todd Bowles. "I think he's going to be a very good coach in this league." Says he's doing a good job.

Key phrase here is 'going to be'. In other words, he is doing a lousy job right now. 

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Black Monday I hope Jets fans are greeted with a presser of Woody Johnson cleaning house Mike Maccagnan included.

I for one agree with JoeWilly12. (Can't believe I'm saying that. Jets will go on a 2 game winning streak and joewilly12 will be drinking the green frappuccino). I have not been an advocate of Mac's moves. His free-agent signings and drafts have not panned out well. Last season was a fluke and would have mirrored this season had we not had a mr. softie schedule and Fitz's remarkable play.  But alas Mac has a way out, 'hey I didn't hire Bowles'. 

17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

BS.  Why wouldn't a coachi candidate take the job?  There's no proof it's a two year job and there aren't enough HCs where you turn one down when it's available. 

If you're a quality candidate, you only take a job that you know and has proven to have stability and opportunities for success (ie a QB, quality front office, strong ownership, etc)

38 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

If you're a quality candidate, you only take a job that you know and has proven to have stability and opportunities for success (ie a QB, quality front office, strong ownership, etc)

Which explains how many HC candidates turn down HC jobs?  Rarely happens, there aren't enough jobs to turn down, you should jump at offers.  Unless you're a Gruden or Cowher where you don't have to.  

Remember Shotty turning down the Fins.  Things change fast, the hot coordinator who had a job sitting there becomes last years hot coordinator that no one remembers and never gets another offer.  Looking back Shotty should have taken the Fins job while it was there for the taking.  

2 hours ago, Powpow said:

I for one agree with JoeWilly12. (Can't believe I'm saying that. Jets will go on a 2 game winning streak and joewilly12 will be drinking the green frappuccino). I have not been an advocate of Mac's moves. His free-agent signings and drafts have not panned out well. Last season was a fluke and would have mirrored this season had we not had a mr. softie schedule and Fitz's remarkable play.  But alas Mac has a way out, 'hey I didn't hire Bowles'. 

His first draft class has max 26 NFL games under their belts. Leo, Mauldin & Simon are all producing at their draft level. TBD on Smith & Petty. Harrison was a washout.  Happens.  

2nd draft class has max 10 games. Lee, Edwards & Peake are all fine for their draft level. TBD on Hack, Jenkins, Burris, Snell.  

Gawd. This place is ridiculous. Yes this year has sucked and went south. It happens.

To think a new GM, new HC (yes 2nd yr can still be considered "new") won't make mistakes is ludicrous.  My gawd look around the NFL and see all the mistakes being made by veteran GMs / HCs 

You want to dump Mcc and/or Bowles and start all over and institute new philosophies, culture, systems knock yourself out. Jets will be right back where they started Jan 2006, Jan 2009, Jan 2013 & Jan 2015. Gawd. This place hasn't even let Mcc & Bowles the time to institute & carry out their vision/plan. Which I would say accumulate & develop a new young core to build around while trying to find, develop a long-term answer at QB.  

Many of these veteran FAs were signed to use required cap space, try to be competitive, and allow the FO/CS to determine if they want to be part of the long-term plan.  If not,for example Revis, they can get out of the contract without major cap implications. 

Again, this FO & CS can't be responsible for the previous 40+ yrs of misery.  

On 11/16/2016 at 1:50 PM, KRL said:

Blah, blah, blah everyone is stupid and everyone should be fired.  This is going to go on

for 10+ pages, could the crying stop and just admit that if we had a QB as competent as

Alex Smith our record would be at worst 6-4.  That's the problem with the team this year

not the organizational structure or how Maccagnan answered questions at his press

conference

Agreed till that position gets fixed we will never be a contender ...

Archived