Maccagnan mid season presser happening now

Matt39

31 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This was done by Woody because Idzik was't reporting everything to Woody which was one of the reasons for Rex' dismissal.  Woody didn't want that kind of miscommunication again.

That being said it IS ANOTHER DUMB MOVE!!!

Yes the HC should be able to speak to the Owner, of course!!

But the HC should not in effect have a way to do an end run around the GM!!

I said it when it was announced that it was dumb then and it still is DUMB!!!!

I Wonder what there is to report ? The team sucks , still don't have franchise QB, offense hasn't been good for years and defense again underachieving , haven't hit on a 2nd or 3rd pick in years . 

Woody should already know all of this lol

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Could this be his Idzik moment?

No way, he is far to competent for that.  I doubt he will tell you how great it was to see Leo Williams taking an intravenous to get back into the Arizona game late in the 4th quarter; Or how great the Jets look in practice.

15 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He's right. A few yrs old. However it's not uncommon at all. FWIW

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/1/25/5343964/nfl-power-structures-who-really-runs-a-team

Great find Cmart.

New York Giants - GM Jerry Reese controls all of the 53-man roster and draft decisions, while Head Coach Tom Coughlin decides the game day roster; both report directly to owner John Mara

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree GM may remain but Woody Johnson can see the same we see in Todd Bowles which is nothing its time to move on, 

Didn't you learn from last year that just because you wish something doesn't mean it will happen?  It seems you have realized that Fitz will be a non entity next year so you have to seize on some other idiotic cause.  This is great, now instead of hearing you wedge Fitz into every single discussion on this board it will be bowels now.

8 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Great find Cmart.

New York Giants - GM Jerry Reese controls all of the 53-man roster and draft decisions, while Head Coach Tom Coughlin decides the game day roster; both report directly to owner John Mara

John Mara, who has won a few Super Bowls, is for all intents and purposes a football person.  It is his family's profitable business.  He grew up in it.  His family was in the football business when he was born.

Unfortunately, I think Woody sees Mara and thinks he can do the same thing.  Now, the Mara's did sell half the team to the Tisch's, but Mara is in control.  Tisch knew he knew nothing about football.  So I presume that the legal agreement govening the sale to Tisch provides that Mara remains in day-to-day control of the team, and he is likely paid handsomely and accordingly.

Jerry Jones, who played football at Arkansas (with Jimmy Johnson, his first coach) is also an owner who over the last few years has made some dubious  decisions.  He started out strong with Johnson, and then brought in Parcells, but as of late is operating alone with his son. So basically, he has barely figured it out, but their focus on building the line, drafting Ellliot and getting lucky/smart with Prescott has them looking smart.

I think when Woody worked with Tanny, Mangini and Bradway and put their heads together, while calling BP for advice, they were able to put some good teams together.  How did they do that?  They built the lines and drafted a cover corner.  They were then able to add a rookie QB who could throw, and he got them to the AFCCG two games in a row before imploding when he lost his support system.  

I think Woody knows that he has to spend the salary cap, but he can save money on coaching and other staff.  If Woody wants a championship team, he needs to build up the organizational infrastructure.  This is a team that is feeling light in the smarts department.

Some of these dual responsibility things seem to have long time or vet coaches as opposed to the jets having a rookie head coach.

All I can say is that whether they think they are on the same page or not the team is not being run in a cohesive fashion re players vs player usage.

A team that never uses a TE but seems to have 3 or 4 hanging around all the time on the roster or psquad.

The team drafts best suited 3-4 olbs in Mauldin who had success last year and Jenkins and a best suited 3-4 ilb in Lee.  However at the same time they have their top 3 dlineman that they can't get on the field if they play a 3-4 for the most part.

Mauldin sits, Jenkins who looked very good in camp after injury is slow to reintegrate, Lee is not playing his best position if we are going 3 LBS.  Richardson is shifted all over hells half acre.

QBing, we draft a project QB and the coaching staff doesn't seem to have the time of day for him with such gems as we will maybe think about having him changes mechanics next year.

I do not see a cohesive plan.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Nothing?  You consider our GM to be nothing he's an integral part of the mess here he caused most of it. This forum is for fans to discuss the NY Jets thats what I'm doing there is also a great feature free and available to you its called IGNORE USER if you don't like me or my posts use it and save others the agony of reading your back and forth nonsense banter to me every time I post something  you disagree with. 

joewilly12 

You said it was boring and you don't care.  Do you not get the point? 

Ignore?  Why?  And yes the forum is to discuss issues.  Saying most of the team sucks, the coaches suck, the GM sucks, the owner sucks, the stadium sucks etc isn't discussing the Jets

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Here we go again, Jet fans. CALM DOWN!

So many other teams in the NFL have their coach and GM report directly to the owner. This is nothing new... Why are we overreacting about this?

Because there's no QB in sight and the roster is a trainwreck.

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

John Mara, who has won a few Super Bowls, is for all intents and purposes a football person.  It is his family's profitable business.  He grew up in it.  His family was in the football business when he was born.

Unfortunately, I think Woody sees Mara and thinks he can do the same thing.  Now, the Mara's did sell half the team to the Tisch's, but Mara is in control.  Tisch knew he knew nothing about football.  So I presume that the legal agreement govening the sale to Tisch provides that Mara remains in day-to-day control of the team, and he is likely paid handsomely and accordingly.

Jerry Jones, who played football at Arkansas (with Jimmy Johnson, his first coach) is also an owner who over the last few years has made some dubious  decisions.  He started out strong with Johnson, and then brought in Parcells, but as of late is operating alone with his son. So basically, he has barely figured it out, but their focus on building the line, drafting Ellliot and getting lucky/smart with Prescott has them looking smart.

I think when Woody worked with Tanny, Mangini and Bradway and put their heads together, while calling BP for advice, they were able to put some good teams together.  How did they do that?  They built the lines and drafted a cover corner.  They were then able to add a rookie QB who could throw, and he got them to the AFCCG two games in a row before imploding when he lost his support system.  

I think Woody knows that he has to spend the salary cap, but he can save money on coaching and other staff.  If Woody wants a championship team, he needs to build up the organizational infrastructure.  This is a team that is feeling light in the smarts department.

Reporting to the owner to keep him/her informed and the owner making player/coaching decisions are two different things. Woody is at the facility once a week at best. Those of you who feel he's involved in everyday decisions are probably off base.

Referencing your last sentence I believe he has done just that. It will take time.

5 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Reporting to the owner to keep him/her informed and the owner making player/coaching decisions are two different things. Woody is at the facility once a week at best. Those of you who feel he's involved in everyday decisions are probably off base.

Referencing your last sentence I believe he has done just that. It will take time.

I don't know whether Woody being at the facility once per week is a positive.  If he is basically in charge, he should be there more often.  Maybe that is the problem.

If I was Woody, I would be sitting down with Bowles and asking him some important questions-like why are players missing meetings, what's with all the penalties, where was the adjustments, does he need someone to help him watch the clock/challenge calls?

Something is missing here.  

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Mike Maccagnan still believes in Todd Bowles. "I think he's going to be a very good coach in this league." Says he's doing a good job.

"going to be"

This is more your area than mine, but...Freudian Slip, no?

Black Monday I hope Jets fans are greeted with a presser of Woody Johnson cleaning house Mike Maccagnan included.

I will hope for the opposite. The forum wouldn't be the same if they didn't give us something to complain about. In all honesty I think our best option would be to fire our dc and special teams coach. Keep Mac and let him decide if Bowles is our coach next season or not. Our team is underperforming but in reality Mac did give us a fantastic roster he is not the coach and it is not his fault our star players are not playing well. Name one other team in the NFL though that has as many big name guys as us?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If Woody does clean house, no competent GM or HC will want to come here. And it has not been in Woody's nature to fire too early.

I again look to Eric Mangini. Got 3 years. Bowles will get the same, otherwise there may be some race talk

And anyone taking Macc's statements about Bowles and Revis at face value are naive

8 hours ago, varjet said:

Want to know what is a sticking point with me? They draft project QBs and say they'll wait to work on his form until the offseason when there'll then supposedly be enough time to dedicate to it. Especially Hackenberg, if he's 4th string he's doing nothing other than attending meetings and watching film with others. I get that the QBC is there for the guys who will (or could) actually see action, but why not hire a second QBC for the his QB(s)? Why wait for a whole rookie season to go by to address/fix crucial problems (presuming they're even addressable/fixable).

That just bugs me. It bugged me when I heard them say it months ago and again when Gailey reiterated it recently. It's fine for him to see no action his rookie season; it doesn't mean the time must therefore be wasted. These are not the actions of a team serious about, and doing everything possible to bring about, seeing a young QB prospect become a good QB on the field.

Woody is a very curious person. I think he wants to win here, but he just doesn't know how to do it. BUt he also wants to be top dog, which creates a conflict.

Jerry Jones has people report to him, but Jerry Jones knows something about football.

That's why I was really happy that Woody got Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly to help him pick a GM and a head coach. Because that's something he has to do in order to be successful.

Blah, blah, blah everyone is stupid and everyone should be fired.  This is going to go on

for 10+ pages, could the crying stop and just admit that if we had a QB as competent as

Alex Smith our record would be at worst 6-4.  That's the problem with the team this year

not the organizational structure or how Maccagnan answered questions at his press

conference

This quote is more scary

Maccagnan doesn’t have a say over Todd Bowles’ job status. He & Bowles are equals that report to Woody Johnson.

I didn't know that Maccagnan had no power at all. Disgraceful.

This team will never win with this owner unless they get lucky. YOu bring in football people to help you pick a GM and HC, and you don't trust the GM to do his job.

Romo or CUtler are here next year. And the cycle of mediocrity will continue. I thought Woody was trending in the right direction. That doesn't appear to be the case.

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Blah, blah, blah everyone is stupid and everyone should be fired.  This is going to go on

for 10+ pages, could the crying stop and just admit that if we had a QB as competent as

Alex Smith our record would be at worst 6-4.  That's the problem with the team this year

not the organizational structure or how Maccagnan answered questions at his press

conference

I totally disagree with your alex smith comment. 100% disagree unless he now plays defense and specials as well.

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't know whether Woody being at the facility once per week is a positive.  If he is basically in charge, he should be there more often.  Maybe that is the problem.

If I was Woody, I would be sitting down with Bowles and asking him some important questions-like why are players missing meetings, what's with all the penalties, where was the adjustments, does he need someone to help him watch the clock/challenge calls?

Something is missing here.  

You are guessing on what really goes on there. None of us know. He is the owner. Everyone in the building reports to him. Its not an issue.

Cant we just let this play out over the next year or so? Why do we as a fan base always over react?

Archived