Schefter: Big Changes Coming for Jets Defensive Staff

JetNation

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Only kind of.  4 straight defensive HC's, four straight failures.  It may work in the NFL but hasn't here.  Changing our approach just for change's sake would be fine in my book.  

Parcells doesn't really count, since he ceded most of the defensive control to Belichick. 

Parcells wasn't a noob. 

It's not the defense thing that is the common denominator in failure. It's the "never did this before" thing.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Would love Wade Phillips here (obviously) but isn't he going to be the favorite to be the HC in Denver?  I haven't heard that btw but I'm just guessing that would be the case.

Actually it looks like they are more interested in bringing in an offensive coach that has a history of working with young qb's, imagine that!

13 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Bowles is responsible for the D.  NO one else.  The idea that we will be hiring someone to free  Bowles from running the D is insane.  That is what he does.  He does not know when to call timeouts.  His challenges stink.  He does not know whether to punt or go for it late.  He always runs on 4th and 1.  He has no respect in the clubhouse. If he is not doing the D, why is he even coaching?  That is my point.  He had one strong point before he came here.  Now he has none.

Tomlin is a defensive coach who never has coached defense for the Steelers.  That situation can work fine even though I'm no fan of Bowles.

This is overall a surprising move although it is the correct move.  Gailey can coach... He should stay.  Boyer should absolutely be fired for the trash that was the special teams this year.

I could see Pepper staying on.  He's a good coach and he's proven it over years with different teams.  

I really don't know where Bowles goes from here.  Wade Phillips is 100% the best option but Wade is going to want to run his defense so I don't see that happening.  Has to be another guy who Bowles can run ideas through, although hopefully be a more emotional guy.  Bowles is a quiet fiery type of dude, he needs a D Coordinator who is a bit different than nice guy Rodgers.

And none of this crap even matters anyway unless we get a QB.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I seriously cannot imagine the reactions here if Rex Ryan is hired as the DC. Remember when Rex got fired last week, Bowles said "He's a good coach." Maybe that was his little candy gram to Rex through the media lol.

Rex is a good coach but that's not happening.  What he did in the playoffs with absolute garbage at QB doesn't get done by a bad coach.  

Rex will guaranteed do a great job as D-coordinator wherever he goes, but it won't be here.

Does it really matter?  This is Todd Bowles D.  It's his scheme.  He's calling the shots.  Whoever he brings in is just going to answer to Todd because that's all Todd knows about Football.

I know everyone is excited about this but do you really expect a difference?  2015 Kacy Rodgers had them top 10.  2016 they were atrocious.  What changed?  Did Kacy all of a sudden not know how to coach a D?  No.  He has a moron for a Head Coach trying to plug square pegs in a round hole and playing **** faces when they should be benched. 

2 minutes ago, Komba said:

Tomlin is a defensive coach who never has coached defense for the Steelers.  That situation can work fine even though I'm no fan of Bowles.

This is overall a surprising move although it is the correct move.  Gailey can coach... He should stay.  Boyer should absolutely be fired for the trash that was the special teams this year.

I could see Pepper staying on.  He's a good coach and he's proven it over years with different teams.  

I really don't know where Bowles goes from here.  Wade Phillips is 100% the best option but Wade is going to want to run his defense so I don't see that happening.  Has to be another guy who Bowles can run ideas through, although hopefully be a more emotional guy.  Bowles is a quiet fiery type of dude, he needs a D Coordinator who is a bit different than nice guy Rodgers.

And none of this crap even matters anyway unless we get a QB.

And that is why guys like Tomlin have no blemishes on them, they lucked into a franchise guy immediately.  And your last statement is very true,  Any coach and or GM that gets a franchise QB has a long long shelf life even if they are no better than the coach down the road who gets fired.

8 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

wade philllips would be ideal.  any other big names available for defesnsive coordinator and please dont say a ryan

Don't know his situation but i would try for Schwartz too.  Maybe with the seed planted that if Bowles fails there could be a promotion in his future?

10 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

It's just such a hard thing for people to explain and for us to understand... It's like anything that we can't tangibly measure. It's hard to quantify how important they are, but there is a feeling that if there are weak links in the chain at those positions, it undermines a lot of things the coach wants to do... If he can't trust guys in those positions, he can't run the team. 

The thing is...We all want the Jets to finally get back to a SB. So we're all impatient, and rightfully so. With this in mind NYJ is not the place right now for 1st time HCs & GMs. Mcc & Bowles are still learning and will make & have made mistakes. Will they be given the time to learn from their mistakes and make the proper corrections is the question. 

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Would love Wade Phillips here (obviously) but isn't he going to be the favorite to be the HC in Denver?  I haven't heard that btw but I'm just guessing that would be the case.

No Wade is out of there and I posted an article yesterday in which he said he was breaking from the team!! 

We have got to get experienced coordinators for our Bowles to lean on. Wade Phillips, Gus Bradley for DC and bring in O'Brien/McCoy/Turner for OC.

Rookie head coach? Fine. Then bring in the guys who have proven to be highly successful as a coordinator to back him up.

5 minutes ago, Komba said:

Rex is a good coach but that's not happening.  What he did in the playoffs with absolute garbage at QB doesn't get done by a bad coach.  

Rex will guaranteed do a great job as D-coordinator wherever he goes, but it won't be here.

Yeah I cant see it happening here. But for the absolute entertainment it would create on this board...Wow

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

And that is why guys like Tomlin have no blemishes on them, they lucked into a franchise guy immediately.  And your last statement is very true,  Any coach and or GM that gets a franchise QB has a long long shelf life even if they are no better than the coach down the road who gets fired.

Yep..

Amuses me too that any offensive coordinator from New England gets automatic shots at head coach like they are actually doing a good job.  Brady makes all of that happen.  It's funny too because the guy who replaces McDaniels will get a head coaching job as well.

People were starting to think Del Rio was a good coach but now Carr goes down and the team is trash.   QB is EVERYTHING in today's NFL.  You don't have one, you can't win.  

Can't help but laugh when people around here say we shouldn't draft QB because we need help at other spots.  QB makes every other spot better.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Parcells wasn't a noob. 

It's not the defense thing that is the common denominator in failure. It's the "never did this before" thing.

Bowels even admitted as much when he said it takes a New HC TWO YEARS to figure out what to do!!

1 minute ago, Komba said:

Yep..

Amuses me too that any offensive coordinator from New England gets automatic shots at head coach like they are actually doing a good job.  Brady makes all of that happen.  It's funny too because the guy who replaces McDaniels will get a head coaching job as well.

People were starting to think Del Rio was a good coach but now Carr goes down and the team is trash.   QB is EVERYTHING in today's NFL.  You don't have one, you can't win.  

Can't help but laugh when people around here say we shouldn't draft QB because we need help at other spots.  QB makes every other spot better.

I think a coach and coordinator can lose you way more games than they win on their own... So really you're just looking for competency from these positions... There aren't many genius innovators out there that will change the game... You just want smart, competent people. 

coach Todd Bowles weighing changes on both sides of the ball. OC Chan Gailey in doubt. Not so on DC Kacy Rodgers who called plays late

This tweet indicates Rodgers is fine.  Gailey is plenty good... Fitz was a journeyman and had him playing his best football.  Horrible this year, but still doing great things last season.  I think Gailey is the one to go though and that sucks.

Boyer should absolutely be fired.  Hell, as much as turnover hurts a team, Bowles should have been fired but that's not happening so it's not worth even discussing anymore.

4 minutes ago, Komba said:

coach Todd Bowles weighing changes on both sides of the ball. OC Chan Gailey in doubt. Not so on DC Kacy Rodgers who called plays late

This tweet indicates Rodgers is fine.  Gailey is plenty good... Fitz was a journeyman and had him playing his best football.  Horrible this year, but still doing great things last season.  I think Gailey is the one to go though and that sucks.

Boyer should absolutely be fired.  Hell, as much as turnover hurts a team, Bowles should have been fired but that's not happening so it's not worth even discussing anymore.

This is not positive.

Just now, T0mShane said:

This is not positive.

Gailey leaned too much on Fitz. More passes= MOre INTs. I think of them as a package deal.

As for Kacy Rodgers, I think he needs to be given more responsibility in calling plays. If he had had that in the beginning, then Bowles may have payed more attention to keeping the team together.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Gailey leaned too much on Fitz. More passes= MOre INTs. I think of them as a package deal.

As for Kacy Rodgers, I think he needs to be given more responsibility in calling plays. If he had had that in the beginning, then Bowles may have payed more attention to keeping the team together.

Rodgers had playcalling duties take from him. He started with them. 

Bowles over-compensating for Rodgers = Bowles not spending time doing HC things.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Rodgers should go back to DL coach..

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Not according to Rap. He "called plays late".

According to everything I've read all season, Rodgers lost playcalling responsibilities. I don't know which reports are more accurate. I do know that Rodgers should never have been the hire in the first place.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

According to everything I've read all season, Rodgers lost playcalling responsibilities. I don't know which reports are more accurate. I do know that Rodgers should never have been the hire in the first place.

Well if Rapoport is inaccurate on that, it's possible Rodgers is not safe

Archived