Schefter: Big Changes Coming for Jets Defensive Staff

JetNation

34 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's almost like 2015 didn't exist to some people. How soon we forget that in 2015 with the same head coach and same OC the Jets offense had one of the best years in their history. The coaches didn't change in 2016 so what was different? The QB play. It was absolutely dreadful in 2016. Ryan Fitzpatrick failed the entire team with his play.  If you're going to judge Bowles on his coaching ability then you can't leave out the success the team had in 2015. I'm not his biggest fan but I also think this season was more about the players taking a step back then it was about coaching. Fitz was awful on offense and tanked the season for the O and Revis' decline single handedly ruined the entire defense bc Bowles could no longer run his scheme the way he wanted to. They need to pay whatever it takes to bring in a shutdown CB. It's the only way Bowles can run his defense to its fullest capability. 

I call this thinking out as BS.  You don't run the scheme the way you want to!  Your run the scheme the way you have to (based on the talent).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I've said it on another thread I want  Wade Phillips in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully Phillips does not get a better offer somewhere else (unlikely).  Bowles worked as a secondary coach under Phillips with the 2007 Cowboys (Kacy Rodgers was the D-line coach) and Maccagnan Director of college scouting in Houston when Phillips was the defensive coordinator. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

According to everything I've read all season, Rodgers lost playcalling responsibilities. I don't know which reports are more accurate. I do know that Rodgers should never have been the hire in the first place.

Thank you!!

Are the Jets insane!!

Bowles cant blame the dysfunction of the team totally on the offense and Chan!!

Just wow!!!

You mean the Jets were so stupid to not anticipate that a historically below average QB played below Average!! 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Defensive-minded coach ruins a defense with tons of 1st round picks.  And we thought those days were over when Rex was jettisoned.  Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.....

I never want a defense-first HC ever again after Bowles.  What good are they if they can't even do the one thing they know, and always make the GM take players early in the draft that fit his scheme, meanwhile neglecting O-line and preventing us from getting a QB?

How did he prevent us from getting a quarterback?  In 2015 we took Petty in a weak quarterback draft and last year we took Hackenburg in the second.  Whatever you may think about him, we still took a quarterback in the second round.  They could have taken Lynch but apparently wasn't as high on him as others were.   I want Bowles gone too and I understand your point about an offensive coach.  My biggest issue with Bowles is settling for Fitz and declaring him his starter right after that horrific Buffalo game!  You would think that any HC with half a brain would not paint himself into a corner over a journeyman quarterback coming off a career year, who played one of his worst games in the most important game of the year.   Sorry for the rant; I still get pissed over this... 

51 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember Herm saying the same thing... he basically took NO responsibility at all.  Hired a clock person.

Jeez we are fooked.    The DC pick tells us so much. Bowles wants to be surrounded by people he knows and likes.

he simply is morphing into Herm Edwards.  Herm only looked reasonable when Chad was healthy.  I cant ever remember a coaching move

by Herm that I thought was solid and above what the average fan would do.

What are you talking about..He's been saying all along it falls on him as the HC

Look around most HC do the same thing hiring those they know..Herm fired DCs..

16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

What are you talking about..He's been saying all along it falls on him as the HC

Look around most HC do the same thing hiring those they know..Herm fired DCs..

Saying it and doing it are different. I remember a piece where herm said he thought of himself as a CEO with a large staff to whom he delegates.  well.. the results were dismal.

IF Bowles is implying that, well then I see him in the Herm light.

Neither stated that they are not ultimately responsible. Saying the buck stops with you and being clearly more hands on are not  mutually exclusive acts.

Based on 2015 and 2016 I simply have little faith in Bowles to execute a plan well, especially when the soup gets hot.

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Saying it and doing it are different. I remember a piece where herm said he thought of himself as a CEO with a large staff to whom he delegates.  well.. the results were dismal.

IF Bowles is implying that, well then I see him in the Herm light.

Neither stated that they are not ultimately responsible. Saying the buck stops with you and being clearly more hands on are not  mutually exclusive acts.

Based on 2015 and 2016 I simply have little faith in Bowles to execute a plan well, especially when the soup gets hot.

Ok then. How do any of us know what is being done behind the scenes. But all this isn't surprising. Don't say anything, criticized, say something, criticized. Do something, he's a coward, don't do anything, he's delusional and in denial...Rinse repeat.

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Hopefully Phillips does not get a better offer somewhere else (unlikely).  Bowles worked as a secondary coach under Phillips with the 2007 Cowboys (Kacy Rodgers was the D-line coach) and Maccagnan Director of college scouting in Houston when Phillips was the defensive coordinator. 

This is pretty interesting. I wondered whether Bowles had anything in common with Phillips, thank you for this info. Does Wade want to be a HC again? Who knows, but I actually believe that Todd & Wade are not ego driven coaches which would not preclude Bowles from hiring Wade or dissuade Wade from wanting to work for Bowles since they have all worked together before. Very interesting. If Wade likes Todd, that's a pretty sweet paycheck.

I'm actually torn, because I'm pretty sure that if Todd somehow miraculously ended up with Wade Phillips as his DC & Mike McCoy as his OC, there ain't no way in hell the NY Jets will be in the running for Sam Darnold, who literally could change our future fortunes instantly.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

This is pretty interesting. I wondered whether Bowles had anything in common with Phillips, thank you for this info. Does Wade want to be a HC again? Who knows, but I actually believe that Todd & Wade are not ego driven coaches which would not preclude Bowles from hiring Wade or dissuade Wade from wanting to work for Bowles since they have all worked together before. Very interesting. If Wade likes Todd, that's a pretty sweet paycheck.

I'm actually torn, because I'm pretty sure that if Todd somehow miraculously ended up with Wade Phillips as his DC & Mike McCoy as his OC, there ain't no way in he'll the NY Jets will be in the running for Sam Darnell, who literally could change our future fortunes instantly.

On the Wade being a HC, he is 69 years old, this may be his last chance.

1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

On the Wade being a HC, he is 69 years old, this may be his last chance.

I don't know if he wants to be a Head coach again at 69. A lot easier to just be a coordinator if the Jets pay him a nice check. I love Wade cause he's really versatile, he sees what players can do & works around those skills. He's a damn good coordinator.

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

These were the big changes? Color me unimpressed.

Lol, let's blame all the minions. My goodness, this entire defensive coaching staff never adjusted to the mix ups, guys running in our secondary wide open, flashing in front of our horrible zone coverage, how many times did Harris get isolated & trailing another long gainer? CBs playing 10 yards off the ball. Worst Jet defense I've ever witnessed based on the #1 picks & high priced free agents all over the place!

29 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ok then. How do any of us know what is being done behind the scenes. But all this isn't surprising. Don't say anything, criticized, say something, criticized. Do something, he's a coward, don't do anything, he's delusional and in denial...Rinse repeat.

All I said was he reminded me of Herm.....  he does.  IMO, he deserves no better than that comment.  Im OK with us keeping him.  

But I wont pretend we as fans dont have a right to be critical.  

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I don't know if he wants to be a Head coach again at 69. A lot easier to just be a coordinator if the Jets pay him a nice check. I love Wade cause he's really versatile, he sees what players can do & works around those skills. He's a damn good coordinator.

wasn't that what we were saying about todd when he was hired?

19 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

wasn't that what we were saying about todd when he was hired?

I don't remember anyone saying he was versatile? He was gonna run what ever he ran in Zona, the Lee pick was supposed to be his Bucannon is what everyone was saying.

I you saying that Bowles is on the same level as Wade Phillips as a DC? When Belichick respects you your doing a good job, BB has said many times how much he respects Wade Phillips coaching acumen.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember Herm saying the same thing... he basically took NO responsibility at all.  Hired a clock person.

Jeez we are fooked.    The DC pick tells us so much. Bowles wants to be surrounded by people he knows and likes.

he simply is morphing into Herm Edwards.  Herm only looked reasonable when Chad was healthy.  I cant ever remember a coaching move

by Herm that I thought was solid and above what the average fan would do.

Just about every HC hires people he knows or worked with.  I know that doesn't fit the we suck idea that it's only happened twice with Herm and Bowles.  

Or that we fans would make better moves than a HC who made his way up the ladder, paying his dues every step of the way.  

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

The offense had their fair share of struggles as well, but when you consider the amount of draft picks and dollars invested in Gang Green’s defense, it’s fair to say that the team was built to dominate on defense and to be efficient on offense.  Neither unit met expectations, but it was the defense that finished 28th in the NFL in points allowed despite being far better compensated and much healthier as a group.

This isn’t to say the offensive or special teams staffs are off the hook, but Schefter says defensive changes should be coming today.

Changes included nearly every position coach fired and Gailey retired, but no word on useless Kacy Rogers. Jets have spent EVERY first round pick since 2010 on defense and they still suck. Kyle Wilson, Quentin Coples, Mo, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darren Lee. Talk about crapping out, only four of those guys - I would shuck Pryor if I had the chance - will be here in 2017. Most likely Jets will try to trade Richardson, but I don't see many takers.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Changes included nearly every position coach fired and Gailey retired, but no word on useless Kacy Rogers. Jets have spent EVERY first round pick since 2010 on defense and they still suck. Kyle Wilson, Quentin Coples, Mo, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darren Lee. Talk about crapping out, only four of those guys - I would shuck Pryor if I had the chance - will be here in 2017. Most likely Jets will try to trade Richardson, but I don't see many takers.

How does Wilson, Coples & Milliner be a black eye to Kacy Rogers? Seems you aren't fond of Pryor or Richardson either?

Question.

All season I've read, here: Revis quit.  Mo is injured or is counting his money, isn't playing.  Sheldon sucks and is a cancer.  Harris is old and slow.  Skrine sucks.  We don't have a #2 CB. Lee is tiny and can't play.

Defense regressed big time a year after playing well. 

So with all of this it's just going to be fixed by canning the DC? It's his fault? 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Question.

All season I've read, here: Revis quit.  Mo is injured or is counting his money, isn't playing.  Sheldon sucks and is a cancer.  Harris is old and slow.  Skrine sucks.  We don't have a #2 CB. Lee is tiny and can't play.

Defense regressed big time a year after playing well. 

So with all of this it's just going to be fixed by canning the DC? It's his fault? 

go back and watch the Cardinals, Colts and the last Cheaters game.  There shouldn't be anyone left standing from those performances.

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I call this thinking out as BS.  You don't run the scheme the way you want to!  Your run the scheme the way you have to (based on the talent).

He ran it the way he had to this year and you saw the results. Compare that to the results from 2015 when he ran the defense like he wanted to and the defense set a team record for sacks in a season. So if you're the GM and you see the disparity in the play of the defense from the 1st year to the 2nd and the common denominator is the lack of a shutdown CB and CB depth you have to do everything you can to get back to the 2015 level defense. 

4 hours ago, Barkus said:

absolutely fitzgarbage was dreadful. But D was horrible too, how many times were opposing WR and TE just running free with nobody even covering them!!! That is 100% coaching. Players don't know what their doing, they are either being instructed poorly or are too dumb to be in the lineup. The team lacked discipline and concentration on both sides of the ball, again this falls on coaching!

Team discipline is a hard thing to quantify. Just bc a team loses doesn't mean they're not disciplined. Guys were running wide open bc of the defensive concepts the Jets had to use on defense bc of the deterioration of their secondary, that nobody could have projected. They used mainly zone concepts and blitzed rarely and if you don't have elite secondary play or an elite pass rush it's a recipe for disaster.  The Jets do have 3 great players on their defense line but none of them are true pass rushers. Playing any of them at DE in a 4-3 would be a disaster. None of them are suited to rush off the edge. Bowles was forced to use a 4-3 on passing downs bc of the lack of an outside pass rush from their OLB's.  

They have to trade Richardson this off season and I honestly don't care what they get in return. He's already started to be a hassle to deal with and the closer he gets to FA without a contract the harder he will be to deal with. They need to bring in a young man cover CB and an outside pass rush threat.  That will go a long way to fixing the defense and hopefully allowing Bowles to actually run his system that has been successful everywhere he's gone. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Just about every HC hires people he knows or worked with.  I know that doesn't fit the we suck idea that it's only happened twice with Herm and Bowles.  

Or that we fans would make better moves than a HC who made his way up the ladder, paying his dues every step of the way.  

As opposed to the hire people better than you, who have skills you need.  I get it but at some point a good coach surrounds himself with experienced talent.  

IM not complaining.... I'm stating that our D was awful. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

As opposed to the hire people better than you, who have skills you need.  I get it but at some point a good coach surrounds himself with experienced talent.  

IM not complaining.... I'm stating that our D was awful. 

It was awful.  It also looked like a team where the message wasn't getting through. The DBs weren't on the same page, had communication issues.  The DL, the strength of the entire team struggled.  The message goes from HC to assts. to the players and they weren't getting the message.  Pepper was a concern all year, it's been written.  

Hopefully they get the right people to replace those let go.  I totally believe that a big part of being a successful HCs is surrounding yourself with good people.  Put shlt assts. around a good HC and he'll drop off

Archived