Schefter: Big Changes Coming for Jets Defensive Staff

JetNation

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Joejet said:

Because it appears that Rodgers is staying.  I was hoping for a more experienced DC so that Bowles could learn how to be a head coach for the entire team.

I don't know if he is staying. If Rapoport is wrong in that Rodgers was not calling the plays at the end of the season, can we safely say he is right on Rodgers coming back?

Basically at this point, it is Rapoport vs. Schefter

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't know if he is staying. If Rapoport is wrong in that Rodgers was not calling the plays at the end of the season, can we safely say he is right on Rodgers coming back?

Nothing is for sure until an announcement is made.

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Pepper is a goner 100% for sure I would guess, probably Rogers as well.  They should can the special teams coach as well.  I don't care if they hire a new one every year for 20 years, keep doing it until we find one who can at least make us middle of the pack.

I wouldn't fire the ST coach this year, mainly, because he didn't have a complete unit all year.  By the end of the season there was only like 3 guys on ST that were there week 1.  It was a revolving unit due to injuries which is why I think the ST suffered as the season went on. Just my peasant opinion of course

"On Monday, Bowles said he "relinquished most of the defense" to Rodgers in 2016 -- mainly, he let Rodgers run the meetings. But Bowles hinted he may step away entirely from the defense, becoming more of a CEO-type coach. "

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66167/sources-todd-bowles-planning-major-changes-on-jets-defensive-staff

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Zero faith in Bowles ability to make a good choice on a new coordinator.  Is it really possible they fire all 3 coordinators and keep Bowles in place?  what in the F has he done to deserve that pass?

10-6 year one?

But really, I understand your concerns, and everyone elses who thinks the front office should be cleared out... But I think he needs another shot next season. His coordinators and the supposed leaders on the team really let him down, and it really got away from him... Lets see if he can get some guys in there that make for better glue and can help hold the team together more.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Zero faith in Bowles ability to make a good choice on a new coordinator.  Is it really possible they fire all 3 coordinators and keep Bowles in place?  what in the F has he done to deserve that pass?

Well if you like the coordinators, then Bowles did make good choices on coordinators

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

"On Monday, Bowles said he "relinquished most of the defense" to Rodgers in 2016 -- mainly, he let Rodgers run the meetings. But Bowles hinted he may step away entirely from the defense, becoming more of a CEO-type coach. "

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66167/sources-todd-bowles-planning-major-changes-on-jets-defensive-staff

"hinted" he "may" sounds a lot like a guy who knows he should be doing more than what he is, but doesn't want to.

Just now, AFJF said:

"hinted" he "may" sounds a lot like a guy who knows he should be doing more than what he is, but doesn't want to.

the offense is a disaster, they keep drafting defensive players in the first round, they have no viable qbs on the roster, and they still focus on defense.

the team used to have an identity with rex and parcells, both with players and coaches.  i keep waiting for the organization to emphasize offense over defense.  it's as if nobody in the organization truly knows what to do with the offense so they do what they think they know first.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

the offense is a disaster, they keep drafting defensive players in the first round, they have no viable qbs on the roster, and they still focus on defense.

the team used to have an identity with rex and parcells, both with players and coaches.  i keep waiting for the organization to emphasize offense over defense.  it's as if nobody in the organization truly knows what to do with the offense so they do what they think they know first.

the D is why we sucked this year.  we could have competed as bad as our O was if the D lived up to expectations.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the D is why we sucked this year.  we could have competed as bad as our O was if the D lived up to expectations.

no doubt the d sucked.  but it's important to remember that the only teams that scored less than the jets this season were the browns (11 points less) and rams.  if the jets gave up 7 points less per game they still have a top 12 draft pick.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

no doubt the d sucked.  but it's important to remember that the only teams that scored less than the jets this season were the browns (11 points less) and rams.  if the jets gave up 7 points less per game they still have a top 12 draft pick.

we need help on O and they were terrible too but that D killed us weekly. it was a total team failure though, O/D/STs/coaching/...

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Didnt Parcells not let the coordinators speak to the media? Might be a step in terms of everything falling on Bowles. It's frsutrating- it's almost as if Bowles gets annoyed when he gets questions about the offense like it isnt his problem.

16 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

10-6 year one?

But really, I understand your concerns, and everyone elses who thinks the front office should be cleared out... But I think he needs another shot next season. His coordinators and the supposed leaders on the team really let him down, and it really got away from him... Lets see if he can get some guys in there that make for better glue and can help hold the team together more.

I dismiss most of the comments in these threads. The team won 10 games under Bowles in 2015. While I don't think he did a great job in 2016, he also didn't get the same production from most players and had a lot more injuries to contend with. He definitely deserved another season.

Rapaport via his twitter says Bowles is weighing changes on both sides of the ball but Rodgers is most likely safe. Expect a few a new position coaches and no real change

coach Todd Bowles weighing changes on both sides of the ball. OC Chan Gailey in doubt. Not so on DC Kacy Rodgers who called plays late

The defense was far worse than the offense, despite the fact that the defense started the season with much more highly drafted/paid talent and remained healthier over the course of the year. The team was designed to be dominant on defense and good enough on offense. If the defense could've gotten a few turnovers, the offense still might've been good enough despite terrible play from the QB position. Most of the bright spots on the team were on the offensive side of the ball; Enunwa, Anderson, Powell, Shell. While the defense was all about extravagantly paid underachievers. 

I'd keep Gailey (if he wants to stay) to remain consistent with the development of the young QBs. Replacing Kacey with a like-minded DC that would allow Bowles to oversee the entire team is the way to go, IMHO. 

these assistants should know the drill.  if bowles made an error it's in bringing a first time dc with him.  he shoulda brought someone like gailey to handle the defense.  i'm surprised that pepper can be a problem.  he came the patsies and knows very well how to deal with the locker room.

It's almost like 2015 didn't exist to some people. How soon we forget that in 2015 with the same head coach and same OC the Jets offense had one of the best years in their history. The coaches didn't change in 2016 so what was different? The QB play. It was absolutely dreadful in 2016. Ryan Fitzpatrick failed the entire team with his play.  If you're going to judge Bowles on his coaching ability then you can't leave out the success the team had in 2015. I'm not his biggest fan but I also think this season was more about the players taking a step back then it was about coaching. Fitz was awful on offense and tanked the season for the O and Revis' decline single handedly ruined the entire defense bc Bowles could no longer run his scheme the way he wanted to. They need to pay whatever it takes to bring in a shutdown CB. It's the only way Bowles can run his defense to its fullest capability. 

IMO, Pepper Johnson is a fairly horrible coach.  I don't know what he has ever done to be considered a good coach.  LB coach with the Pats?  LOL.  I remember when he came over and outlawed the use of the swim move.  Makes perfect sense.  Take your best positional group - a bunch of oversized Dlinemen - and limit their moves so they are stuck bull rushing.    Then you can complain and wonder why they can't get to the QB.

Bowles is going to be a CEO coach?  One that calls his 2nd 2nd half timeout because he can't decide whether to go for it on 4th and 1 at the 13?  One that up 17-3 at the end of the 3rd he kicks the field goal instead of letting the clock wind down and kicking to start the 4th. Was that wind?  He makes headscratchers every week - but I guess when there is a team that lets another team fall on a kickoff in the end zone, there are always worse.

36 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Sweet merciful crap

I cant fault the hiring's in hindsight.  That's not fair.  But if Bowles decides to fire them, then I support him because he knows more about Football than they do because he's the Head Coach.

44 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I remember Herm saying the same thing... he basically took NO responsibility at all.  Hired a clock person.

Jeez we are fooked.    The DC pick tells us so much. Bowles wants to be surrounded by people he knows and likes.

he simply is morphing into Herm Edwards.  Herm only looked reasonable when Chad was healthy.  I cant ever remember a coaching move

by Herm that I thought was solid and above what the average fan would do.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I remember Herm saying the same thing... he basically took NO responsibility at all.  Hired a clock person.

Jeez we are fooked.    The DC pick tells us so much. Bowles wants to be surrounded by people he knows and likes.

he simply is morphing into Herm Edwards.  Herm only looked reasonable when Chad was healthy.  I cant ever remember a coaching move

by Herm that I thought was solid and above what the average fan would do.

dumb and bad coaches can look good with good qbs.  

29 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's almost like 2015 didn't exist to some people. How soon we forget that in 2015 with the same head coach and same OC the Jets offense had one of the best years in their history. The coaches didn't change in 2016 so what was different? The QB play. It was absolutely dreadful in 2016. Ryan Fitzpatrick failed the entire team with his play.  If you're going to judge Bowles on his coaching ability then you can't leave out the success the team had in 2015. I'm not his biggest fan but I also think this season was more about the players taking a step back then it was about coaching. Fitz was awful on offense and tanked the season for the O and Revis' decline single handedly ruined the entire defense bc Bowles could no longer run his scheme the way he wanted to. They need to pay whatever it takes to bring in a shutdown CB. It's the only way Bowles can run his defense to its fullest capability. 

absolutely fitzgarbage was dreadful. But D was horrible too, how many times were opposing WR and TE just running free with nobody even covering them!!! That is 100% coaching. Players don't know what their doing, they are either being instructed poorly or are too dumb to be in the lineup. The team lacked discipline and concentration on both sides of the ball, again this falls on coaching!

Archived