Bowles Interviews OC Candidate, Addresses Gailey Retirement

JetNation

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

i can't call a 5-11 season as cataclysmically bad. 1-3 wins, yes but not 5.

Record was deceptive.  Did you watch us play this year?  How the team devolved into a complete mess? How Bowles looked lost?  How the team imploded? Etc....  This wasn't just a losing season.  It was an embarrassment.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowles is the worst.  Lets keep interviewing positional coaches instead of guys from college who have actually developed QB's and might even take this horrible job.

I don't think I've ever had lower expectations than I will for next season.  Complete debacle.

But hey..  at least Kacy Rodgers still has a job.

26 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Record was deceptive.  Did you watch us play this year?  How the team devolved into a complete mess? How Bowles looked lost?  How the team imploded? Etc....  This wasn't just a losing season.  It was an embarrassment.

How was the record deceptive? They beat 2 teams that were worse, swept the Bills and somehow beat the Ravens. Their point differential matched up with their record.

I don't think they could have managed 5 wins if they completely imploded. Was there dissention. Absolutely. I don't believe there was any mutiny.

Just now, Butterfield said:

If you knew you were going to have him for only 2 years, why weren't you grooming his replacement?

Have a QB coach, or some other offensive assistant ready to take over.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

I think that is the crux. It has more to do with the failings of Kevin Patullo that he was probably the OC in waiting and was let go too.

50 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

wait.. so people are actually buying this 'Chan was only going to coach for two years' crap. Right. And Kotite quit.

The team needed a scape goat, and Gailey was probably happy to take the fall and get out.

Agreed....why is this so hard to comprehend? 

48 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Devolved?  Low points were weeks 3, 6, 13 and 16 out of 17.  Seems across the board to me.  They only won 5 games but won 2 out of the final 4.  This team imploded quite early and hung around to be mediocre crappy.  Lame sure, but plenty of teams were more embarrassing and I think that some teams we tend to look at as improving, like Philly and the Vikings have just as much or more to worry about for 2017.

37 minutes ago, Pac said:

Bowles is the worst.  Lets keep interviewing positional coaches instead of guys from college who have actually developed QB's and might even take this horrible job.

I don't think I've ever had lower expectations than I will for next season.  Complete debacle.

The WR coach from New Orleans was OC at USC under Carroll and Kiffin.  Barkley developed pretty nicely under him and then he left to join Harbaugh's staff in SF.  He left when Harbaugh left and got the job with NO, which is probably a fairly coveted position and they invested a #2 for Michael Thomas who progressed pretty well, along with former UDFA Willie Snead who joined the Saints right before he got there.  Seems like an ascending candidate with playcalling experience to me.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Football is a short game plan proposition. If you feel you are getting the best man for the job, and he is number one on your list and no one is close, then you temper long range plans with short term expected gains. 

Now, I can't tell you that Gailey was that by and large best candidate, as only Bowles knows that. We also have to quibble with the results, although season 1 has to be moderated as at lest a small term win.

I have no problem bringing on short term candidates, if they make your team better now. That is the life of sport, and football coaches.

Bowles, when he hired Gailey, had no idea he would have a red-shirt qb on his team after 2 years and the position would feel void. You just don't have crystal balls like that.

If it's true Gailey either coming in or last offseason said he was going to retire, he should never have been hired, or asked to quit.Again speaks to Bowles not being very smart. There were lots of college and pro assistants who would've jumped up for that slot at either juncture. And again reminds us that the organizational chart is a mess. And Gailey was and still is a braindead establish the run retread hack who should never have been hired at all.

And a member of his staff badmouthing a 2nd round pick was disgraceful. That's an organizational asset; keep your mouth shut and keep your thoughts in house. 

Simply high quality franchises do not operate like this. 

If you knew prior to 2016 that Gailey was retiring, you don't draft such a flawed project for a QB in the 2nd round unless you are certain you're promoting from within and keeping the playbook. Hack will end up with 3 OC's in his first 3 seasons. Pretty much a death knell to any small glimmer of hope he had for success in the first place, wasting the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Pac said:

This is where I'm at - whether you're trolling or being sincere. 

The most troubling thing is that Bowles is now saying he knew Gailey was a 2-year hire, and in 2 years nothing proactive was done to align his replacement. The gap between knowing for 2 years that Gailey was gone - and the scrambling to replace him is disgusting.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The most troubling thing is that Bowles is now saying he knew Gailey was a 2-year hire, and in 2 years nothing proactive was done to align his replacement. The gap between knowing for 2 years that Gailey was gone - and the scrambling to replace him is disgusting.

Not trolling..  I'm usually overly optimistic but the way Bowles handled EVERYTHING last year was an abomination.

I have no confidence in him or his ability to hire effective coaches.  Any shred of hope I had left was extinguished when he gave 5 guys their walking papers and never mentioned the coordinator responsible for the most underachieving part of the team.

Bowles and Rodgers either don't have or don't show passion, are boring to watch, boring to listen to, and their team sucks.  If that wasn't bad enough their players clearly don't respect either of them.

Other than that we're in good shape.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

For the 1,000,000th time, it all starts at the top. If Woody is out of the way, finally, maybe we have a punchers chance down the road.

9 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_1835.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

After nothing but radio silence from the New York Jets following the retirement of offensive coordinator Chan Gailey three weeks ago, New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles spoke with the media from Mobile, AL where he’s attending senior bowl week.

Bowles made some contradictory statements regarding the time Gailey spent with the Jets, while coming off as cool and calm as it relates to the team’s search for his replacement.

According to Darryl Slater of NJ advanced media, Bowles claimed he knew when he hired Gailey, that it was a position he was only going to fill for two seasons.

“I knew when I hired him he was doing two years,” Bowles said. “We talked about it. He wanted to do two years, and that was that.”

Later, however, Bowles contradicted himself according to Slater, saying Gailey “didn’t say [it was] a possibility when I hired him [that he’d leave after 2016], It was just definitive after the first year.”

Either way, Gailey is gone and Bowles is leading the search for his replacement.

After Bowles was snubbed by the Philadelphia Eagles in their effort to interview their quarterbacks coach, John DeFilippo, and an interview with Denver Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville didn’t produce any results, it’s been mostly quiet on the coordinator front.

However, multiple outlets have reported that Bowles did in fact interview New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach John Morton who has never called plays at the pro level, but did so for three seasons at USC.

Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey is also said to be on the Jets’ radar, but there have been no reports of the team conducting or scheduling an interview as of yet.

When asked about how the search is progressing, Bowles simply said “I’m pretty sure where I’m going”.  Where exactly that is?  We’ll know soon enough.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

OHzEaBVJQW4

Click here to read the full story...

So we have a coach who knowss zero abotu offense interviewng someone for OC.  I know they have to do it.  I just think the GM should be doing it, though.  Bowles is a troglodyte when it comes to offense

3 hours ago, JiF said:

It's unreal.  Why even bring him in if you knew you were only getting 2 years?  WTF was the point.  Long shot project QB be damned.  What is the point of having a rental OC when you're trying to build a new winning culture? 

I hate this team so much. 

might bave been nobody else good available

I agree 100% with most of what's being said here.  If you knew two years ago, or one year ago, that the OC was leaving, drafting project QB's was questionable at best.

Only way it makes sense was if Gailey sold them on Patullo as his successor and he didn't do enough to impress.

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago

#Jets have done extensive homework on former #Texans OC George Godsey, a strong candidate to fill their opening. Got strong recommendations

Nobody really knows how good any of these candidates are, but between Godsey and Morton, give me the guy who has called plays/worked with QB's.

Their production was terrible, but so were the quarterbacks.

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago

#Jets have done extensive homework on former #Texans OC George Godsey, a strong candidate to fill their opening. Got strong recommendations

LOLOLOL  Yeah from O'Brien the guy that just fired him much like our strong recommends for Hackenbrug.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Nobody really knows how good any of these candidates are, but between Godsey and Morton, give me the guy who has worked with QB's.

I understand the thought process, but what constitutes working with QBs?  Morton has never been a QB coach per se, but Godsey has only been one in 2014 (the year the Texans trotted Mallet, Fitzpatrick, Keenum and Savage out there) and for a few years at Central Florida where he developed studs like Rob Calabrese and Steven Moffett.  

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I understand the thought process, but what constitutes working with QBs?  Morton has never been a QB coach per se, but Godsey has only been one in 2014 (the year the Texans trotted Mallet, Fitzpatrick, Keenum and Savage out there) and for a few years at Central Florida where he developed studs like Rob Calabrese and Steven Moffett.  

He played QB at Ga Tech..O'Brien was OC and George O'Leary was HC

Godsey played under George O'Leary at Georgia Tech. He served as a back-up his freshman and sophomore years, before winning the starting job entering his junior year. In his first year as a starter in 2000, Godsey threw for 2,906 yards and 23 touchdowns; he also had the sixth best passing efficiency in the country. The team went 9-2 that year and made it to the Peach Bowl, where Godsey tore his ACL.

In 2001 as a senior, he completed 241 passes for 3,085 yards, both of which are school records. His final college game was a victory in the Seattle Bowl against 11th-ranked Stanford. He was named the game's MVP after passing for 226 yards and a touchdown.

Godsey finished his college career as the most accurate passer in Georgia Tech history, with a career completion percentage of 63.3. He also has the third most passing touchdowns in school history with 41.

Arena League

Godsey spent the 2003 Arena Football League season on the Tampa Bay Storm. The team wound up winning ArenaBowl XVII.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

As an OC he's gonna' be doing a lot with the QB's as well.  One year as a QB coach and 2 as an OC is about as good as it's gonna' get for whoever they choose.

Fun Fact: With Godsey as his QB coach, Ryan Fitzpatrick once threw 6 TD's in a single game.

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I agree 100% with most of what's being said here.  If you knew two years ago, or one year ago, that the OC was leaving, drafting project QB's was questionable at best.

Only way it makes sense was if Gailey sold them on Patullo as his successor and he didn't do enough to impress.

I think you hit the nail on the head as to what happened. I think Patullo failed and that's why he was let go

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

As an OC he's gonna' be doing a lot with the QB's as well.  One year as a QB coach and 2 as an OC is about as good as it's gonna' get for whoever they choose.

Fun Fact: With Godsey as his QB coach, Ryan Fitzpatrick once threw 6 TD's in a single game.

He might be the only QB in NFL history to have a 6 TD game and a 6 INT game

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't know why he would lie

Because he is a coach of a rival nfl team and he comes from the Belichick tree.  All these guys do is lie and try and to mislead other teams. 

If Godsey is such a great guy why did he just get fired?

I hope they choose Morton over this guy if possible.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

It's unreal.  Why even bring him in if you knew you were only getting 2 years?  WTF was the point.  Long shot project QB be damned.  What is the point of having a rental OC when you're trying to build a new winning culture? 

I hate this team so much. 

He was the Fitz whisperer.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Because he is a coach of a rival nfl team and he comes from the Belichick tree.  All these guys do is lie and try and to mislead other teams. 

If Godsey is such a great guy why did he just get fired?

I hope they choose Morton over this guy if possible.

Probably the same reason people think Gailey got let go.

Archived