Best way to improve in the 1st round...

Mike135

8 weeks until we find our identity?

If there was a top notch QB or LT, I'd be all over that.

However considering there's not, it's real hard to find a better option than this...

Sure a top notch Safety, CB or LB would be nice as well, but giving this offense an identity in a way that would also seriously help take the pressure of a young QB just seems like something the team can't pass up.

Imo, no other pick in this draft improves the team overall more than Fournette.  He'd be a young QB's best friend.  Which of course filters down to the oline, WRs and defense.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RB lifespan in the NFL is short.  Plenty of solid RBs can be had in mid rounds. Fournette is a great prospect, but it's a RB.  I just can't fathom picking any RB at #6.  To me, it's a superfluous use of a precious pick.  Are you convinced that Fournette is the next Marcus Allen?  Because if you are not, then it ain't worth the #6.  Trade down. and stockpile picks.  Can't squander a precious pick on a position that is always easy to fill.  

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

If he can be an Generational RB then I don't see the argument against it except if you don't have a top 5 O-line and a decent qb

zeke Elliot is a diff back but shows a   Difference making running back is worthy of a top pick 

hey - I fixed that for you

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

RB lifespan in the NFL is short.  Plenty of solid RBs can be had in mid rounds. Fournette is a great prospect, but it's a RB.  I just can't fathom picking any RB at #6.  To me, it's a superfluous use of a precious pick.  Are you convinced that Fournette is the next Marcus Allen?  Because if you are not, then it ain't worth the #6.  Trade down. and stockpile picks.  Can't squander a precious pick on a position that is always easy to fill.  

I'm as confident in Fournette being a great player as I am in any of the DBs or LBs in the draft.  And much more confident in him over any QB or olineman.

Even if he doesn't last 10 years, the most important piece of bringing in an elite RB is that it would take the pressure off a young QB.  Allowing him to develop.

Basically, we all know QB is the most important piece of any team.  We don't have one ready to roll yet.  There isn't a sure thing in the draft.  There isn't a top LT to help a young QB.  

So Fournette is the best QB option we can pick.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I still like Cook over Fournette at Rb and will not be at all surprised if he goes before fournette.

The Jets will take a CB or S orrrrr if we happen to let Harris go Rueben Foster

Based on the video, guess it all depends on the type of offense you're gonna run.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Besides didn't Hack run an offense that would be great for Fournette?  Not much shotgun and a lot of play action?

Give Hack a chance and give him Fournette.

The Jets should NOT be drafting anyone to suit Hackenburg who may not see a snap for two years.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets should NOT be drafting anyone to suit Hackenburg who may not see a snap for two years.

Fair enough.  But you can basically substitute in any young QB's name in place of Hack's.

I'm usually on the side of not drafting a RB early, but this guy is so good that I believe (because there isn't a great QB or olineman available) no other single player improves this team more.  And more importantly, can also help us develop a QB.

If one of the top QBs is there we must take him.  Maybe he's ok maybe we swing and miss once again.  With the way the roster if constructed currently, there is little downside in trying.  What I don't want is another mediocre player like Pryor or Lee.  I'm sick of 1st and 2nd round mediocrity.  We must have/find a GM that knows how to select players!  

If we can get 5 solid years out of a 1st round RB then I'd be fine with that.  That is if he is the type of player that can put 60% of the offense on his back and carry it.  Otherwise I want a sure thing player at a lesser position be it CB or otherwise.        

Fournette is good but I don't see the point in drafting a RB at 6th overall in a draft where you can get a quality RB in the 4th-5th round..with a lot less durability concerns as well. And on top of that..Powell played unbelievably well enough last year to prove that he belongs as a starting RB. If our next QB can't get it done with Powell (who's a great all-around weapon, not just a pure bruiser like fournette) then having fournette won't do much more. Fournette doesn't have reliable hands

33 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I just don't feel that the long term argument holds water. A first round rookie contract is five years, after that you're talking about free agent contracts. If Fournette is that game changing player (not pretending I know the answer to that), then he's worth the #6, IMHO. Five year rookie deal, franchise him once or twice (RBs are relatively inexpensive to franchise), and then let him go at 29 and recoup a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. If this guy can have an Adrian Peterson or Ezekiel Elliot impact for six or seven years here, and get us back a high comp pick, too, that would not be a wasted pick to me at all. On a team without an answer at QB, a franchise RB could go a long way. Stabilize the offense, and keep the defense off the field. 

I just hope he goes to Jacksonville so the Jets don't have to make that choice.  Hate the idea of a RB in rd. 1, but damn is a player like Fournette tempting.

I've heard many analysts say he's the best football player in this class.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I just don't feel that the long term argument holds water. A first round rookie contract is five years, after that you're talking about free agent contracts. If Fournette is that game changing player (not pretending I know the answer to that), then he's worth the #6, IMHO. Five year rookie deal, franchise him once or twice (RBs are relatively inexpensive to franchise), and then let him go at 29 and recoup a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. If this guy can have an Adrian Peterson or Ezekiel Elliot impact for six or seven years here, and get us back a high comp pick, too, that would not be a wasted pick to me at all. On a team without an answer at QB, a franchise RB could go a long way. Stabilize the offense, and keep the defense off the field. 

these are all good points Slats. But I'm not taking a RB at #6.  Still think it is a waste and I am far from convinced that Fournette is the next Elliot or Marcus Allen.  I would not be averse to a trade down for Fournette (I'm thinking that GMs are not going to be persuaded to go the Cowboys 2016 draft route and take a RB that early, so he should be there further down in round 1.  I still don't like the pick no matter how good he might be.  Too much risk.  RBs have short life spans and very few teams run one-horse backs.  We can do better in this draft than that.

47 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Trade down, just trade down..... I am so sick of hearing every "draft expert" saying trade down. It is not trading down, it is a team trading for your pick. We don't call teams and say, "uh, hey guys we want to trade down." seriously..

Yes, we all know trading down and acquiring more picks will benefit us and if the opportunity presents itself we SHOULD take it. Seriously though, stop with this "trade down" odds are we won't be having any offers worthy of trading down for.

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Fair enough.  But you can basically substitute in any young QB's name in place of Hack's.

I'm usually on the side of not drafting a RB early, but this guy is so good that I believe (because there isn't a great QB or olineman available) no other single player improves this team more.  And more importantly, can also help us develop a QB.

He's good no doubt. But we don't need a RB..especially at 6th overall. we have 2 versatile rb's that are all-around weapons

yea forte is virtually done but you cut his reps in half and make Powell the starter and you get a lot more use out of forte and Powell.

the NFL is not about the RB anymore. Draft a position we actually need at 6th overall.

Leo Williams is an exception. Yea we didn't need another DL but he was the best rated player in the draft at the time and he was versatile. (could play anywhere on the DL in 3-4 or 4-3) and he had no injury or durability concerns

fournette MIGHT be the best player in the draft but isn't versatile and has durability concerns already coming out of LSU.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

these are all good points Slats. But I'm not taking a RB at #6.  Still think it is a waste and I am far from convinced that Fournette is the next Elliot or Marcus Allen.  I would not be averse to a trade down for Fournette (I'm thinking that GMs are not going to be persuaded to go the Cowboys 2016 draft route and take a RB that early, so he should be there further down in round 1.  I still don't like the pick no matter how good he might be.  Too much risk.  RBs have short life spans and very few teams run one-horse backs.  We can do better in this draft than that.

Fair enough. I understand your position. Thing is, I see very little chance of them being able to trade down (they couldn't two years ago with Leonard Williams sitting there), and that the BAP could easily be a choice between Fournette and a safety (another non-premium position). It's not a great spot to be in. 

One worries about his upright stance, and the injury specter with this kid.  I do think he's going to light the world on fire for a few years, but take away his freak athleticism and he's really a so so runner, so longevity is a question mark.

52 minutes ago, David Harris said:

If he can be an Generational RB then I don't see the argument against it.

zeke Elliot is a diff back but shows a   Difference making running back is worthy of a top pick 

The Cowboys had a particularly off year because Romo was injured (again) and were able to get a high pick and pick Elliott.  When combined with their line and Prescott (quasi-lucky), it worked out for them.  Who knows how long Elliott lasts in the NFL.

Even good RBs tend to be picked later in the first round by the better teams that already have other pieces built out.  If the Jets' picked Fournette, it is possible that he could be shot before they rebuilt themselves.

The best thing the Jets could do is trade down.    In the absence of that, a cornerstone defender who basically is a cap space swap (for Gilcrist, Pryor, Revis or Harris) seems the best call.

33 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Once again I will say it, the Jets are not drafting a RB at 6,and thank god for that!

If they sign Glennon(I hope they don't) don't be too sure. I could see Mac going this route and signing one or two of the veteran OL guys that have just come on the market. Then he would most likely improve the defense via the draft. CB edge rusher etc. I could see Mac going this route but it would make me extremely nervous considering the quick fix hasn't worked in the past and I am skeptical he could pull it off based on his track record.

23 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

Fournette is good but I don't see the point in drafting a RB at 6th overall in a draft where you can get a quality RB in the 4th-5th round..

235lbs and I think he hit 23mph.

You're not finding that in the 4th round.  You're not finding that in the 1st round very often either.  I'm not sure we've ever seen that.

If Fournette is the once in a generation talent that people claim he is, then you DO NOT pass him up. There is no quarterback there worthy of a 1st round pick, nevermind a top 10 pick... and the OL is fine, we need a LT but that is also not an option in the top 10.

If the Jets buff their secondary/pass rush via free agency, it makes sense to draft Fournette. The only issue now is that Forte is on the books for a nice paycheck. We'd have to line him up in the slot or something like that, but having to be creative with too much talent isn't the worst of problems.

Definitely not against going RB high, but I just don't think Fournette is the guy.

Hes going to get banged up, he'd be the perfect 80's RB. Not 2017.

My ideal first round would be try and move back a little and get Cook, then trade our 2nd up a little to end of first and take either TE, Howard or Njoku

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

While Dallas would certainly argue that point with you, I wouldn't. I think Fournette is a beast but if you analyze the past Super Bowl winners, RB isn't the focal point except the Seahawks and when they had the game in their grasp they went away from it - the dumbest call in NFL history and its not even close. But generally, I agree - especially because Fournette is injury prone.

If I was inclined to go offense skill position I would sooner draft Williams or Davis and reluctantly drop both Decker and Marshall and save $13 million. But I wouldn't do that either. I would try my best to trade down to get a first next year and either a later first this year or a high second. The #6 is worth 1,600 points and we could trade down and get either of those. Then I would look for the best player available in one of the positions we need and next year look to package our 2 first round picks for Sam Darnold (unless we could get him on our own). He may be the next true franchise QB coming out.

As a case in point, Tennessee has the 5th and 18th pick. They desperately need a WR and an ILB. If they traded us their 18 and next years 1st round for our 6 they could draft either Williams or Davis plus Foster and they would become the favorites in their division. And with the 18 pick this year we could go CB, OT, OLB or TE although I hope we get TE Adam Shaheen in a later round. He is a beast. Then a trade of Richardson might get us a 3rd round and we would still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to build solid contributors without the pressure of finding a superstar.

21 minutes ago, slats said:

Fair enough. I understand your position. Thing is, I see very little chance of them being able to trade down (they couldn't two years ago with Leonard Williams sitting there), and that the BAP could easily be a choice between Fournette and a safety (another non-premium position). It's not a great spot to be in. 

If fournette is there and another team covets him, then there will be an opportunity. 

11 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

235lbs and I think he hit 23mph.

You're not finding that in the 4th round.  You're not finding that in the 1st round very often either.  I'm not sure we've ever seen that.

not sure how it translates but Fournette clocked 22.9 mph at 235lbs against Ole Miss on a 50+yard scoring run. 

Pretty sure the closest NFL player this past season was Xavier Rhodes at 22.3mph or 22.4 mph and thats at 215lbs

34 minutes ago, slats said:

if you look at how many first round picks of the jets actually stick around for the 2nd contract, i have no problem drafting fournette.  pryor, milliner, coples, sheldon, wilson, sanchez, gholston,  when you look at all these guys, fournette having a good 9 year career with the jets looks damn good.  

Archived