Hoyer, Mallett and Glennon

AFJF

Jets were interested in Hoyer, this was his best chance to start, he chose to be a back up in SF instead.

Jets were interested in Mallett, this was his best chance to start, he chose to be a back up in Balt. instead.

Jets were interested in Glennon, he would absolutely start with the Jets, but instead went to the Bears where he will start, but Rapoport now saying Bears are still expected to draft a QB, which I'm sure Glennon is aware of, but still went to Chicago.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This year, the jets qb position is a sacrificial lamb.  These guys arent desparate enough to sign up for that.

Next season could be a real Petty Pity Party! 

If Chicago drafts a QB, I believe it will be later.  Heard they really like Kaaya of Miami, which as of now, probably 3rd or 4th round, IMO.  Fox would be 100% against taking a QB to ride the bench for multiple seasons over someone like Allen from AL or Thomas from Stanford.

26 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Jets were interested in Hoyer, this was his best chance to start, he chose to be a back up in SF instead.

Jets were interested in Mallett, this was his best chance to start, he chose to be a back up in Balt. instead.

Jets were interested in Glennon, he would absolutely start with the Jets, but instead went to the Bears where he will start, but Rapoport now saying Bears are still expected to draft a QB, which I'm sure Glennon is aware of, but still went to Chicago.

when it comes to the bears and how they handle the next few months leading up to the draft its a very smart play for them to say they are drafting a QB it makes their pick that much more valuable and I think that's the road they are taking here. No one has to believe it but when you sign a guy to be your starting QB and pay him 15 mil per year the best option is to trade out of that spot and get more picks to build the team especially at the WR position. They have RB addressed with Howard and now QB with Glennon if they make the right calls at the WR position they can get good real quick because their defense was starting to come around last year. Everyone knows the QB talk will ramp up as we get close to the draft and Chicago is sitting in a really nice spot to take advantage of that.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is the result of years and years of Woody Johnson. Woody has made us the Browns east.

Im starting to think more along the lines of what Woody has wanted over the years. I feel when Mac came in here woody pushed the win now scenario to him because thats how Macc reacted in the free agency market. If the owner says win now as opposed to a possible re-build then Mac made the moves he certainly had to make including signing Fitz. Some may disagree with that but if you are going to win NOW you simply do not bring in another back up QB to learn an offense Fitz was already familiar with. While Fitz may not have been the ideal choice he was the best choice by default since he was familiar with the offense and he had a very good season the year before. Why the Jets fell apart last year goes way beyond Fitz IMHO sure he played a part but he was not the only part that failed. We stunk in just about every facet of the game and it split the locker room in two. Thats never good in any sport. The biggest failure last year was the total and complete breakdown of the defense and it happened at just about every level of the defense the same defense that a year prior played fairly well. You just don't fall off a cliff like that across the board unless some really bad underlying issues exist and from what we have read over the past year some real sh*t was going on .

3 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

$14.5M for Glennon shows just how poorly Macc handled the Fitz situation last season.   

Correct!  Somebody gets it.  Mac bidded against himself to get Fitz.  No other team offered him any more than $8 million.  When Mac caved in and gave him $12 million, that was the end of my positive view of him.  No GM should bid against himself like that.  Mac should have called Fitzpatrick's bluff to retire before giving a penny more than his next best offer.  Bad business by Mac for sure.  A true sign of feeling desperate or perhaps just obeying the orders of a very stupid owner (which we will never know).  But as the post directly above this says, Mac's dumb acquisition of Fitz for 50% more than his market price may have been Woody induced. 

I get the feeling that many of the bone-headed moves that our current and prior GMs have done have been secretly Woody induced.  I believe him to be a secret meddler that always makes the wrong decision and puts his people under the blaming-spotlight instead of himself.  I only wish we could prove it.

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

$14.5M for Glennon shows just how poorly Macc handled the Fitz situation last season.   

No it does not. Teams knew the situation here and I would be willing to bet the Buc's wanted a hell of a lot from the Jets to get Glennon and it probably made the deal prohibitive to pull off. The rest of the available field of QB's were all back up's just like Fitz was projected to be but they had zero experience in the Gailey offense. Mac did what he had to do and the reason he had to drag his feet was probabl;y due to him trying to wait out some teams including the Bucs to see if he could get his deal.

Personally I was never interested in Mallet or Hoyer.  If the bears want to pay Glennon 14+ mill a year for three years based on his body of work let them. I think that is absolutely crazy.  I hope the Jets get some o-line in the draft and let the Kids (Petty and Hack) fight it out for the starting position.  Time to see what we have at QB. Bring a vet to back up only....   

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Correct!  Somebody get it.  Mac bidded against himself to get Fitz.  No other team offered him any more than $8 million.  When Mac caved in and gave him $12 million, that was the end of my positive view of him.  No GM should bid against himself like that.  Mac should have called Fitzpatrick's bluff to retire before giving a penny more than his next best offer.  Bad business by Mac for sure.  A true sign of feeling desperate or perhaps just obeying the orders of a very stupid owner (which we will never know). 

Mac was in a bad spot and his only option without getting raped by other teams in a trade was to sign Fitz. 12 mil as it goes is slightly below the starting QB floor and thats exactly where Fitz stood slightly below starter level.

I think its about time people understand the Money Involved in the QB market because many here do not. Starting QB';s when it comes down to it via free agency range from 15 mil up to 25 mil if the right guys comes along.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Im starting to think more along the lines of what Woody has wanted over the years. I feel when Mac came in here woody pushed the win now scenario to him because thats how Macc reacted in the free agency market. If the owner says win now as opposed to a possible re-build then Mac made the moves he certainly had to make including signing Fitz. Some may disagree with that but if you are going to win NOW you simply do not bring in another back up QB to learn an offense Fitz was already familiar with. While Fitz may not have been the ideal choice he was the best choice by default since he was familiar with the offense and he had a very good season the year before. Why the Jets fell apart last year goes way beyond Fitz IMHO sure he played a part but he was not the only part that failed. We stunk in just about every facet of the game and it split the locker room in two. Thats never good in any sport. The biggest failure last year was the total and complete breakdown of the defense and it happened at just about every level of the defense the same defense that a year prior played fairly well. You just don't fall off a cliff like that across the board unless some really bad underlying issues exist and from what we have read over the past year some real sh*t was going on .

Ive been saying this from day 1. While the Idzik loving crew like Sperm, dbatesman and Shane like to destroy everything that Maccagnan has done, all logic dictates that he was just doing what his boss wanted. Maccagnan picked the players other than Revis, but he was very clearly given a mandate to win now with a sh*t roster. The only one who was ever given the ability to rebuild was Idzik, and he sh*t the bed so bad in so many ways. This disaster has been in the works since 2012, and its probably going to get worse before it gets better and Im not convinced it will ever really get better with this moron owner. Woody is amongst the worst owners in all professional sports. He had a fortunate first 11 years or so, as far as playoff appearances, but now we are seeing the real Woody Johnson and the effects of it.

19 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is the result of years and years of Woody Johnson. Woody has made us the Browns east.

Johnson has one foot on a banana peel and the other at Heathrow.

Think he cares much right now?

He probably finds it a relief to be able to divorce himself from this cluster fvck franchise.

11 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

At the end of the day, we would be in absolutely no different position today, unless Mac was going to trade a 1st for Glennon, which he would have gotten destroyed for. For all the whining and crying about the 1 year $12m deal, I yet to see one logical, realistic stance on how we would be in any different position today, unless someone is delusional enough to think Geno is a legit starting QB. That is it. The real mistake was not cutting Geno the day Fitz was signed, but again, they wanted a backup who could play a few games in the likely event that Fitz got hurt. They were playing to win last year, its what our asshat owner mandated from Macs hiring on day 1

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

He probably finds it a relief to be able to divorce himself from this cluster fvck franchise.

He's making money hand over foot with this franchise despite his ineptitude. So Im sure he loses no sleep over it at all. We are the morons. We argue over Bowles, Idzik, Tannenbaum, Geno, Fitzpatrick, but the real problem is the owner. A fish stinks from the head.

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

He still owns the franchise and trust me hes still going to make the tough calls if needed he does have a phone right ? he can fly here when ever he likes and how hard can his job really be ? That job offer was simply making woody feel like he has some power because all those guys that have billions of dollars no longer have to care about the money its all about the power and Trup gave that too him as a gift wrapped pile of sh*t ro re pay Woodys campaign contributions. What a JOKE

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Correct!  Somebody gets it.  Mac bidded against himself to get Fitz.  No other team offered him any more than $8 million.  When Mac caved in and gave him $12 million, that was the end of my positive view of him.  No GM should bid against himself like that.  Mac should have called Fitzpatrick's bluff to retire before giving a penny more than his next best offer.  Bad business by Mac for sure.  A true sign of feeling desperate or perhaps just obeying the orders of a very stupid owner (which we will never know).  But as the post directly above this says, Mac's dumb acquisition of Fitz for 50% more than his market price may have been Woody induced. 

I get the feeling that many of the bone-headed moves that our current and prior GMs have done have been secretly Woody induced.  I believe him to be a secret meddler that always makes the wrong decision and puts his people under the blaming-spotlight instead of himself.  I only wish we could prove it.

Yet none of the previous GMs have claimed any of that. Could've very easily leaked the info as an anonymous source. Still can. Something tells me you're over-blaming Woody and ignoring the more obvious culprit, the GM and the coach that continued to claim Fitz as their starting QB while he was collecting unemployment checks. Woody would've gained nothing from Fitz coming back. Jersey sales? Lol. SB run? lol. PR move? Lol. At least half the Jets fans wanted no part of Fitz, myself included. 

Why cant we just blame the GM that went out and traded for Fitz in the first place? Or was that also "Woody induced"?

"Hey Macc, I really love what Fitz has done down in Houston and has had a fantastic career. Let's trade for him. Our jersey sales will go through the roof and we can make a SB push with him"

Yeah, I doubt that conversation took part. Revis acquisition I can see Woody wanting in on it but when we picked up Cro and Skrine in the same month, it tells you what the GM thought of the Jets secondary and was at least equally wanting Revis here, if not more. 

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

The Jets sure do look bad when we apply all of the assumptions inherent in this post and treat them like they were facts.

The Jets have been linked to every single available player in FA and every single available player at #6 in the draft.

This time of the year is so much fun!

28 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

What makes you think he doesn't care? A 7-hour flight isn't causing any headaches to him. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This year, the jets qb position is a sacrificial lamb.  These guys arent desparate enough to sign up for that.

That's why I'm saying it's best to just re-sign Geno on the cheap and let the team tank

Just now, j4jets said:

Yet none of the previous GMs have claimed any of that. Could've very easily leaked the info as an anonymous source. Still can. Something tells me you're over-blaming Woody and ignoring the more obvious culprit, the GM and the coach that continued to claim Fitz as their starting QB while he was collecting unemployment checks. Woody would've gained nothing from Fitz coming back. Jersey sales? Lol. SB run? lol. PR move? Lol. At least half the Jets fans wanted no part of Fitz, myself included. 

Why cant we just blame the GM that went out and traded for Fitz in the first place? Or was that also "Woody induced"?

"Hey Macc, I really love what Fitz has done down in Houston and has had a fantastic career. Let's trade for him. Our jersey sales will go through the roof and we can make a SB push with him"

Yeah, I doubt that conversation took part. Revis acquisition I can see Woody wanting in on it but when we picked up Cro and Skrine in the same month, it tells you what the GM thought of the Jets secondary and was at least equally wanting Revis here, if not more. 

I wasn't implying that every move made by Tanny/Idzik/Mac has been Woody induced.  Just the huge ones like Revis, caving in to Fitz and a couple of select others.  And of course Bowles big mouth 13 months ago in telling the world that an unsigned journeyman free agent is "his starter" didn't help things.  But I could easily see Woody telling Mac to finally cave and get him because there was no way Woody would allow Geno to be the starter heading into the season.  I'll never forget Woody's negative comments on Geno at the 2015 Town Hall about Never thought I'd hear an owner say something like that in front of a room full of fans.

I still believe he is a secret meddler.  Florham Park reeks from it.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Who is starting over Hoyer?  If they don't get Cousins he is starting and I am not so sure they are getting Cousins.  FWIW, I was a big fan of getting Hoyer in, but he got more than I expected. 

13 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Hmmmmm, interestingggggg, I am starting to think that 1 + 3 may NOT equal 4 after all!!!

1 hour ago, LWC611 said:

Personally I was never interested in Mallet or Hoyer.  If the bears want to pay Glennon 14+ mill a year for three years based on his body of work let them. I think that is absolutely crazy.  I hope the Jets get some o-line in the draft and let the Kids (Petty and Hack) fight it out for the starting position.  Time to see what we have at QB. Bring a vet to back up only....   

Look what Sanchez did as a guy not ready to come out of the college game. He had an all pro o-line, all pro RB, a Tight End in Dustin Keller who caught everything, and a really good D to keep them in games. Give that to Petty and we are at least an 8-8 team. 

40 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I wasn't implying that every move made by Tanny/Idzik/Mac has been Woody induced.  Just the huge ones like Revis, caving in to Fitz and a couple of select others.  And of course Bowles big mouth 13 months ago in telling the world that an unsigned journeyman free agent is "his starter" didn't help things.  But I could easily see Woody telling Mac to finally cave and get him because there was no way Woody would allow Geno to be the starter heading into the season.  I'll never forget Woody's negative comments on Geno at the 2015 Town Hall about Never thought I'd hear an owner say something like that in front of a room full of fans.

I still believe he is a secret meddler.  Florham Park reeks from it.

What were the negative comments?

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Ive been saying this from day 1. While the Idzik loving crew like Sperm, dbatesman and Shane like to destroy everything that Maccagnan has done, all logic dictates that he was just doing what his boss wanted. Maccagnan picked the players other than Revis, but he was very clearly given a mandate to win now with a sh*t roster. The only one who was ever given the ability to rebuild was Idzik, and he sh*t the bed so bad in so many ways. This disaster has been in the works since 2012, and its probably going to get worse before it gets better and Im not convinced it will ever really get better with this moron owner. Woody is amongst the worst owners in all professional sports. He had a fortunate first 11 years or so, as far as playoff appearances, but now we are seeing the real Woody Johnson and the effects of it.

This is been my theory that I get lambasted over.  I agree completely, but it appears that Woody has backed off somewhat.

When I have time (which may be never) I would to do a study of the NFL owners and compare teams with self-made owners, family dynasties and inherited money.

The Jets may be the only team where someone who has done nothing except be born bought a sports team.  Someone like a Robert Kraft who grew up poor and built a business from scratch just runs circles around him.

The 49ers have an interesting and other form of dysfunctional profile.

Archived