Jets sign small-school phenom who can play defense, offense and punts

Gas2No99

The New York Jets' crop of undrafted free agents includes one of the most prolific wide receivers in Pac-12 history, a nationally ranked punt returner and a Division II phenon who played offense, defense and special teams.

Yes, the Jets signed a three-way player, linebacker Connor Harris of Division II Lindenwood University in Missouri.

Primarily a linebacker, Harris (5-foot-11, 242 pounds) set the NCAA all-division record with 633 career tackles. He won the 2016 Cliff Harris Award as the top defender on the Division II, III and NAIA levels.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0505%2Fr206908_1

Connor Harris, college football's all-time leading tackler, also posted seven rushing touchdowns and handled the punting for Division II Lindenwood. Michael Conroy/Associated Press

But, wait, there's more: He also rushed for 328 yards and seven touchdowns as a Wildcat quarterback.

And more: He averaged 38.8 yards as a punter and kicked extra points, going 12-for-12.

"I'm going to go to New York and win the Jets over and show the 31 other teams in the NFL that didn't draft me that they made a mistake," Harris told the Waynesville Daily Guide.

He sounds too good to be true, but he's not an unknown in the scouting community. He attended the scouting combine and played in the Senior Bowl, where he made six tackles.

The Jets' other UDFAs:

Xavier Coleman, CB, Portland State: In a 2016 game, he covered former Washington speedster John Ross, a first-round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals, and held him to one catch for 10 yards, according to reports. Coleman has impressive measurables -- 4.49 seconds in the 40 and a 40-inch vertical jump. He finished his career with nine interceptions in 45 games, including five in 2015.

Austin Colitro, LB, Villanova: He received five free-agent offers after the draft. Colitro is a short (6-foot), but productive linebacker who recorded 220 tackles and 8.5 sacks in his four-year career, earning an invite to the East-West all-star game.

Brisly Estime, WR/PR, Syracuse: He's only 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, but Estime will have an opportunity because of his punt-returning ability -- a perennial need for the Jets. As a junior, he averaged 18.1 yards per return, second in the nation. He's a two-time All-ACC selection who caught 48 passes for 518 yards and three touchdowns last season. He's the only player in Syracuse history with two touchdown catches of at least 80 yards.

Anthony Firkser, FB/TE, Harvard: The Manalapan, New Jersey, product was an All-Ivy League selection, thanks to a terrific senior year. He finished his career with 99 catches for 1,559 yards and 14 touchdowns, including seven last season. Firkser (6-2, 246 pounds) played tight end for the Crimson, but he could be switched to fullback. He ran a 4.79 at his pro day.

Patrick Gamble, DE, Georgia Tech: At 277 pounds, he needs to add some weight to his 6-5 frame, but he's worth a look because of his athleticism. He had 7.5 sacks last season, including two in the TaxSlayer Bowl against Kentucky.

Javarius Leamon, OT, South Carolina State: He signed with Clemson out of high school but didn't qualify academically. He has the kind of attributes that send NFL scouts into a tizzy. He's 6-7, 332 pounds with 35-inch arms.

Gabe Marks, WR, Washington State: He holds the Pac-12 record for most career receptions (316) and he's second in receiving touchdowns (37). Why didn't he get drafted? He's only 5-11, 189 pounds, and he ran a disappointing 4.56 at the combine. He takes umbrage with the perception that he's a product of Mike Leach's "Air Raid" offense.

Throwing this in here as well since it's not worth an entire thread:

He's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Khiry Robinson - RB -  Free Agent

Free agent RB Khiry Robinson is participating in Jets minicamp on a tryout basis.

Robinson was released by the Jets back in March after suffering a third broken leg in two years. Now 27, Robinson's career is on life support after showing a ton of promise as an early-down runner early in his career with the Saints.
Related: Jets

May 5 - 12:14 PM

28 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The New York Jets' crop of undrafted free agents includes one of the most prolific wide receivers in Pac-12 history, a nationally ranked punt returner and a Division II phenon who played offense, defense and special teams.

Yes, the Jets signed a three-way player, linebacker Connor Harris of Division II Lindenwood University in Missouri.

Primarily a linebacker, Harris (5-foot-11, 242 pounds) set the NCAA all-division record with 633 career tackles. He won the 2016 Cliff Harris Award as the top defender on the Division II, III and NAIA levels.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0505%2Fr206908_1

Connor Harris, college football's all-time leading tackler, also posted seven rushing touchdowns and handled the punting for Division II Lindenwood. Michael Conroy/Associated Press

But, wait, there's more: He also rushed for 328 yards and seven touchdowns as a Wildcat quarterback.

And more: He averaged 38.8 yards as a punter and kicked extra points, going 12-for-12.

"I'm going to go to New York and win the Jets over and show the 31 other teams in the NFL that didn't draft me that they made a mistake," Harris told the Waynesville Daily Guide.

He sounds too good to be true, but he's not an unknown in the scouting community. He attended the scouting combine and played in the Senior Bowl, where he made six tackles.

The Jets' other UDFAs:

Xavier Coleman, CB, Portland State: In a 2016 game, he covered former Washington speedster John Ross, a first-round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals, and held him to one catch for 10 yards, according to reports. Coleman has impressive measurables -- 4.49 seconds in the 40 and a 40-inch vertical jump. He finished his career with nine interceptions in 45 games, including five in 2015.

Austin Colitro, LB, Villanova: He received five free-agent offers after the draft. Colitro is a short (6-foot), but productive linebacker who recorded 220 tackles and 8.5 sacks in his four-year career, earning an invite to the East-West all-star game.

Brisly Estime, WR/PR, Syracuse: He's only 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, but Estime will have an opportunity because of his punt-returning ability -- a perennial need for the Jets. As a junior, he averaged 18.1 yards per return, second in the nation. He's a two-time All-ACC selection who caught 48 passes for 518 yards and three touchdowns last season. He's the only player in Syracuse history with two touchdown catches of at least 80 yards.atrick Gamble, DE, Georgia Tech: At 277 pounds, he needs to add some weight to his 6-5 frame, but he's worth a look because of his athleticism. He had 7.5 sacks last season, including two in the TaxSlayer Bowl against Kentucky.

Javarius Leamon, OT, South Carolina State: He signed with Clemson out of high school but didn't qualify academically. He has the kind of attributes that send NFL scouts into a tizzy. He's 6-7, 332 pounds with 35-inch arms.

Gabe Marks, WR, Washington State: He holds the Pac-12 record for most career receptions (316) and he's second in receiving touchdowns (37). Why didn't he get drafted? He's only 5-11, 189 pounds, and he ran a disappointing 4.56 at the combine. He takes umbrage with the perception that he's a product of Mike Leach's "Air Raid" offense.

Firsker odds improved. Didn't Jets waive Swain yesterday?

I pretty much expect Firkser to make the team. The CB sounds promising, but I think all the rest of these guys are looking at competing for practice squad spots. 

Khiry Robinson working out is a positive. Jets don't have a power runner on the roster. 

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Firsker odds improved. Didn't Jets waive Swain yesterday?

Yup. The only FB that was on the roster, Swain, was cut a few days ago. Harvard for the Roster Spot at an UDFA price tag. I noticed Mac really likes these UDFA players: DIRT cheap, young depth,  and play with a chip on their shoulder fighting JUST to keep a roster spot. I think we have 3-4 that made the team last year: Robby Anderson, Claude Pelon, Lawrence Thomas, & Jalin Marshall.

14 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Yup. The only FB that was on the roster, Swain, was cut a few days ago. Harvard for the Roster Spot at an UDFA price tag. I noticed Mac really likes these UDFA players: DIRT cheap, young depth,  and play with a chip on their shoulder fighting JUST to keep a roster spot. I think we have 3-4 that made the team last year: Robby Anderson, Claude Pelon, Lawrence Thomas, & Jalin Marshall.

I agree, but they have to be good.  We seem to have found some good depth in the later rounds/UDFA.  Now, we need some front end talent.  I think we have drafted 2 in three years with Williams and Adams.  Sooner or later though this team is going to have to pay attention to the offense.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Great point. I think Anderson and Thomas will have bigger roles this year.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Robinson must have some dirt on the jets front office.

He's the yearly sacrifice to the football god of injuries, so none of our important players get hurt.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

Remember this name!!! Bc you'll never hear it again.

Pat Kirwan was racing about Connor Harris calling it the best UDFA signing based on what he saw in the Senior Bowl, said he will be a ST ace and starting level ILB 

4 hours ago, Marshmello said:

In interview with Francesa. He asked Maccagnan if there were any particular udfa's the team liked.  Maccagnan mentioned Leamon, Marks and Harris that the team liked.

But what about Connor "Terminator 2" Harris? 

Is he being cut?

SAR I

8 minutes ago, sciond said:

This guy seems like something we really need....

football players

Considering how many players we've had the past few years who can't play offense or defense (or punt), this does feel like a novelty.

Archived