This Is What You Want To Hear ...

KRL

From Leonard Williams:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Williams-Looking-to-Step-Up-as-a-Leader/1a9e12b5-a60f-49c5-8437-4ecf66e152e1

Jets DL Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif has clear statistical goals for 2017, but his primary focus is on being a team leader.

“With a lot of older guys being gone, I get to step into my role now and I’m excited about it,” he said. “So far throughout this offseason training, it’s been great. I’ve been stepping up and saying stuff and the guys have been responding well.”

Williams established himself as a cornerstone of the defense in 2016, leading the Green & White in sacks (7.0) and quarterback hits (25) while earning team MVP honors. Despite only being in his third-year, the 22-year-old is a key part of a unit that is holding each other accountable.

“You have to lead by example because if you’re telling people what to do and you’re not, you’re just a hypocrite,” Williams said. “We learned something this offseason that leading by example is just doing your job. We have to take it past that where we’re taking guys and leading them with us. If we see somebody struggling or not stepping to the line, we get on that guy. Not to call him out, but because it’s in his and the team’s best interest. We’re finishing now. It’s just the little things like staying on top of guys.”

While the USC product is looking to fill a new role as a leader, he also has goals for the box score this season.

“I’m going to try to make it back to the Pro Bowl again, but not be an alternate,” Williams said. “I’m also trying to get at least 10-plus sacks this year and keep elevating my game.”

I'm not sure what it says about the general feel of the Jets these days, but I came into this thread fully assuming that the thread title was meant completely sarcastically.  Very glad to see I was wrong!

Bottom line, Williams has only been in the league a couple of years, is ridiculously young even for a third year guy, and is already the very best player on this team.  Combine that all of that talent with a great mentality, and regardless of how much or little credit anyone wants to give the Jets for it, this was an absolute home run.  Far and away the easiest guy on the team to root for on the team, and with a few key departures can hopefully at least be a driving force in getting the defense in the right mindset, even if the talent still needs some work.

The Jets now just need these kind of guys to start stepping up on offense.  Obviously the easiest recipe for that would be having success with one of the young QBs, but that's hardly something to bank on.  Among the younger guys on their, I think Enunwa is the one who has shown some real potential to step up as a "new leader" of sorts, and hopefully that coincides with a new contract coming his way, which needs to be happening soon.

26 minutes ago, slats said:

What I really want to hear is that Hackenberg is successfully hitting the sides of barns. 

19 minutes ago, peebag said:

baby steps.

Only the Jets would ask him to hit the site of an ocean, and then hold it against him when he inevitably cannot. 

Because there's no such thing. GET IT???? WOCKA WOCKA!!!! 

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Only the Jets would ask him to hit the site of an ocean, and then hold it against him when he inevitably cannot. 

Because there's no such thing. GET IT???? WOCKA WOCKA!!!! 

which side of the ocean are you on?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

“With a lot of older guys being gone, I get to step into my role now and I’m excited about it,” he said. “So far throughout this offseason training, it’s been great. I’ve been stepping up and saying stuff and the guys have been responding well.”

“You have to lead by example because if you’re telling people what to do and you’re not, you’re just a hypocrite,” Williams said. “We learned something this offseason that leading by example is just doing your job. We have to take it past that where we’re taking guys and leading them with us. If we see somebody struggling or not stepping to the line, we get on that guy. Not to call him out, but because it’s in his and the team’s best interest. We’re finishing now. It’s just the little things like staying on top of guys.”

Jeez, I wonder who he's talking about here?  What older guys did the Jets lose this offseason who could possibly be accused of yelling at everyone else while sucking and dogging it at the same time?  I cant think of a name.  There were so many older guys who left the team with a reputation for this type of behavior. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Jeez, I wonder who he's talking about here?  What older guys did the Jets lose this offseason who could possibly be accused of yelling at everyone else while sucking and dogging it at the same time?  I cant think of a name.  There were so many older guys who left the team with a reputation for this type of behavior. 

Erin Henderson?

Archived