Jets reached out to Steve Smith to come out of retirement

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813672/article/jets-reached-out-to-steve-smith-about-playing-in-2017

If the team is willing to cut ties with proven wideouts such as Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, it's worth wondering why the front office operatives would explore the possibility of coaxing another wide receiver out of retirement.

The Jets contacted former Panthers and Ravens star Steve Smith about playing in 2017, NFL Network's Kimberly Jones reported on Tuesday's edition of Inside Minicamp Live.

"Earlier today in the green room, Steve Smith Sr. was saying 'Hey, the Jets reached out to me,'" Jones explained. "Yes, the Jets reached out to Steve Smith, asked if he was still interested in playing. He indicated he wasn't."

We would suggest chalking this up to a case of Gang Green simply performing due diligence, updating the Steve Smith file to gauge his resolve in walking away from football with a year or two still left in the tank.

It would make little sense for the Jets to cut Marshall and Decker only to turn around and sign the game's oldest receiver. It would make even less sense for Smith to unretire for the opportunity to join an organization ostensibly punting the 2017 season.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813672/article/jets-reached-out-to-steve-smith-about-playing-in-2017

If the team is willing to cut ties with proven wideouts such as Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, it's worth wondering why the front office operatives would explore the possibility of coaxing another wide receiver out of retirement.

The Jets contacted former Panthers and Ravens star Steve Smith about playing in 2017, NFL Network's Kimberly Jones reported on Tuesday's edition of Inside Minicamp Live.

"Earlier today in the green room, Steve Smith Sr. was saying 'Hey, the Jets reached out to me,'" Jones explained. "Yes, the Jets reached out to Steve Smith, asked if he was still interested in playing. He indicated he wasn't."

We would suggest chalking this up to a case of Gang Green simply performing due diligence, updating the Steve Smith file to gauge his resolve in walking away from football with a year or two still left in the tank.

It would make little sense for the Jets to cut Marshall and Decker only to turn around and sign the game's oldest receiver. It would make even less sense for Smith to unretire for the opportunity to join an organization ostensibly punting the 2017 season.

Steve Smith would have instilled a great attitude into the young guys and was a phenomenal route runner and attacker of the ball.  Marshall and Decker were guys who probably have a couple good seasons left at the top of a depth chart.  My guess is that they wanted Smith around to be a depth guy low on the totem pole and more importantly so they could have him in the WR room.  Kinda like a player coach.  Unconconventional but not unheard of.  I actually wouldn't have minded this.

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Steve Smith would have instilled a great attitude into the young guys and was a phenomenal route runner and attacker of the ball.  Marshall and Decker were guys who probably have a couple good seasons left at the top of a depth chart.  My guess is that they wanted Smith around to be a depth guy low on the totem pole and more importantly so they could have him in the WR room.  Kinda like a player coach.  Unconconventional but not unheard of.  I actually wouldn't have minded this.

Then he's an even bigger fool than I already thought he was, if he thought there was any chance Steve Smith retired just so he could come back to the Jets to back up a bunch of rookies. Oh, and pay yet another position coach on the player salary cap. 

So...he can get his HC to tuck Steve Smith behind some young prospects, but he can't get his HC to do that with Decker. In what way does this make any rational sense?

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah they probably offered vets min they could escape from at any time

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then he's an even bigger fool than I already thought he was, if he thought there was any chance Steve Smith retired just so he could come back to the Jets to back up a bunch of rookies. Oh, and pay yet another position coach on the player salary cap. 

So he can get his HC to tuck Steve Smith behind some young prospects, but he can't get his HC to do that with Decker. In what way does this make any rational sense?

Or, you know, they thought of it as an outside idea that they weren't desperately clinging too, did their due diligence by asking, got told that he's done, and moved on without sh*tting their pants over it, just like the article you posted suggests?

Just now, pointman said:

Maybe Decker having an attitude about trying to get Fitz back was some of the attitude stuff they're trying to clear out? Clean house of older, big dollar guys.. especially if they want to have attitudes? Just a guess. 

I think it's entirely likely that this team just spent an entire offseason exiling players who disagreed with Todd Bowles at some point.

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The $18 mil guaranteed they're going to hand Larry Fitzgerald next year will lead to some wonderful posts here.

Wait until people realize we were too cheap to pay Harris and Decker, but we're okay with paying Revis and Fitz this season.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it's entirely likely that this team just spent an entire offseason exiling players who disagreed with Todd Bowles at some point.

This. You know what they say: If you can't win the locker room, empty it.

I agree with the Decker and Harris moves. But Smith on a rebuilding team, where we have young receivers that need playing time in a garbage year? Fire Mac. First time I said that. And I like Smith, for what it's worth.

12 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

It's time for Woody to give Mangini a call, and make him the President of Football Operations. 

Please, Macagnan and Bowles are both so bad I'd even give Herm and Bradway a call at this point

So none of you guys are at least using your brains for a second and maybe coming to the possibility that Decker and Marshall might have been locker room dicks? 

Nah? Nothing? Really? 

1 minute ago, Jet9 said:

So none of you guys are at least using your brains for a second and maybe coming to the possibility that Decker and Marshall might have been locker room dicks? 

Awww they hurt Bowles's feelings!

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Awww they hurt Bowles's feelings!

No, sir. I just think that stepping back and looking at it.... It seems the only bad locker room guy, as far as any of us know, that is still left is Sheldon. The '16 Jets were cliquey as hell. 

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

A no bullsh*t hard work guy like him would be great for these young guys. I appreciate them reaching out for Smith but there's no way in hell he was lacing it up to play for these Jets.

if thats the case then why not offer him a job coaching ?

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If that's the case then I agree with the moves. If the coach lost the locker room then either the coach or the players must go. And though I have my issues with how Bowles coaches at times, at the end of the day I watch the game for the players...and they were giving up quite often last season. If the coach stays then you must support him. All the guys released would have been gone next year anyway

Could have been a double entendre signing.

Sign the 5'9" Smith, put his locker next to Lee's locker to help him overcome his lttle man complex

then convert Smith to SS or FS.

All kidding aside. If they really went after 39 y/o Steve Smith, this HC GM combo is rapidly ascending to the pinacle of Jet failure.

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

7b01d7835ed11c3517006a8649d16e67_oh-hell-no-hell-no-meme_625-436.jpeg

8 hours ago, thadude said:

Please, Macagnan and Bowles are both so bad I'd even give Herm and Bradway a call at this point

The most success this godforsaken team has had in most people's lifetime was when Rex Ryan took Mangini's players to back-to-back AFC Championship Games. So why not make Mangini run the front office, and Rex coach the team? Both are available. And even though the optics would be bad, who cares? This team is in the gutter anyway.

Mangini's discipline would help keep Rex's silliness in check.

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So he can get his HC to tuck Steve Smith behind some young prospects, but he can't get his HC to do that with Decker. In what way does this make any rational sense?

totally agree.  it makes no sense to even consider steve smith.  heck maybe they should go after harvin while they're at it.  but i am not surprised at anything at this point.

8 hours ago, sourceworx said:

It's time for Woody to give Mangini a call, and make him the President of Football Operations. 

It's sad we think this just because Mangini was the last guy we saw here capable of finding more than 1 player every 2 years.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

It's sad we think this just because Mangini was the last guy we saw here capable of finding more than 1 player every 2 years.

Mangold, Revis, Harris, Brick, and (to a lesser degree) Calvin Pace.

Core players whose recent departures we've lamented. All brought here by Mangini.

Archived