McCown a great addition

kevinc855

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well it's ridiculous to say he's terrible. And make excuses for his passing percentage. But he hasn't been great either. Hey look we'll take the W. Good teams win bad games. But later in the year unless we are in a playoff run it's Petty time. 

Yeah, make sure that playoff run is out of the question first...because god forbid Petty came in and played, you know, like a 38 yo below average 'game manager' QB... then Bowles might actually have to make a decision about who to play.

If all they're asking of McCown is to 'manage a game' with high percentage passes to veteran retread receivers, I'd rather see Petty get that opportunity.  Through 5 games McCown has 5 TD/4INT and a grand total of 1000 passing yds...not exactly 'Bradyesque'.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

we had no expectations that year

You don't have such a good memory, in 97 the Jets were 1 stupid HB pass play call from making the playoffs, Parcells finally rid the Jets of their version of McCown, and Fitz in O'Donnell, I expected playoffs for sure that year.

6 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Yeah, make sure that playoff run is out of the question first...because god forbid Petty came in and played, you know, like a 38 yo below average 'game manager' QB... then Bowles might actually have to make a decision about who to play.

If all they're asking of McCown is to 'manage a game' with high percentage passes to veteran retread receivers, I'd rather see Petty get that opportunity.  Through 5 games McCown has 5 TD/4INT and a grand total of 1000 passing yds...not exactly 'Bradyesque'.

He's doing ok and we're winning games. And when it counted he made plays. He's 38 and he won't be back next year. I'm enjoying this season even though it was a hard game to watch. Take the W!

13 minutes ago, BigO said:

The more accurate assessment- bad teams win terrrible games. 

Actually that is not true.  Bad teams did what the Browns did today, find a way to lose.  The better teams find a way to win even when they don't play a great game.

28 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The offense was pretty abysmal today against a terrible team. McCown is still a 38 year old below average quarterback. If they play like they did today next week, they’ll get waxed. 

Bum fight champions again. What's the point? 

29 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

You don't have such a good memory, in 97 the Jets were 1 stupid HB pass play call from making the playoffs, Parcells finally rid the Jets of their version of McCown, and Fitz in O'Donnell, I expected playoffs for sure that year.

We were real world beaters 

In years past the Jets & Colts played some of the worst games I've ever seen in my life. I think we got best once by a Cary Blanchard FG with rain dripping off of the goalposts as the winning FG sailed through. The NY Jets NEVER win these god awful games, nope, usually we turn opposing players into household names like David Njoku.

Today we had a HUGE 97 yard drive after Hue Jackson tried to change his teams fortunes & win a game. The Jets made him pay for that mistake after stopping them and going on that drive. It's always better to be on the winning side of an ugly NFL win. For as long as I've followed the Jets what happened today is a rare occurrence. Normally, you'd sit through that horrific football & watch as they found another outrageous way to lose a game. Forget the vets, its good for these youngsters to understand perseverance & playing hard for 60 you can make game changing plays at any moment. We're not that good, but some of the young guys are playing well, learning what it takes to win in this league. We're not close to complete, rebuildings hard, winnings good.

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

In years past the Jets & Colts played some of the worst games I've ever seen in my life. I think we got best once by a Cary Blanchard FG with rain dripping off of the goalposts as the winning FG sailed through. The NY Jets NEVER win these god awful games, nope, usually we turn opposing players into household names like David Njoku.

Today we had a HUGE 97 yard drive after Hue Jackson tried to change his teams fortunes & win a game. The Jets made him pay for that mistake after stopping them and going on that drive. It's always better to be on the winning side of an ugly NFL win. For as long as I've followed the Jets what happened today is a rare occurrence. Normally, you'd sit through that horrific football & watch as they found another outrageous way to lose a game. Forget the vets, its good for these youngsters to understand perseverance & playing hard for 60 you can make game changing plays at any moment. We're not that good, but some of the young guys are playing well, learning what it takes to win in this league. We're not close to complete, rebuildings hard, winnings good.

That's not true I recall that horrible Jets/Cardinals game from 2012. That was much worse than this game. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

He's doing ok and we're winning games. And when it counted he made plays. He's 38 and he won't be back next year. I'm enjoying this season even though it was a hard game to watch. Take the W!

I swear to God, I feel like it's 2015 again, reading all the early threads about Fitzmagic...the QB we needed.  

The Jets could just as easily be like 1-4 right now, and I would bet fans would be a lot less complementary of McCown given his stats to date.  It is what it is, but as much as I like Jets wins, I'm not gonna revel in McCown's play or call him a 'great' addition...because he's been poor to ordinary at best.

JMO

13 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

He’s especially good influence on this young team

And there's no telling just how much he's holding this offense together, or how much the younger QB's are learning from him. He brings much needed stability to this team, something I doubt Hack or petty would have in the same spot- at least to start with.

18 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I swear to God, I feel like it's 2015 again, reading all the early threads about Fitzmagic...the QB we needed.  

The Jets could just as easily be like 1-4 right now, and I would bet fans would be a lot less complementary of McCown given his stats to date.  It is what it is, but as much as I like Jets wins, I'm not gonna revel in McCown's play or call him a 'great' addition...because he's been poor to ordinary at best.

JMO

i am ok with this if McCown realizes that his contract year should be duplicated next year.  

If he tried to get greedy the jets should balk, but they won't.

29 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

JMO

The thing is we're not 1-4. 

38 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

JMO

But they are 3-2. Petty and hack are complete trash. We weren’t getting a long term qb next year anyway via free agency or draft. He has been a mature and steady bridge qb. They guy is playing well, it’s hard to debate that 

McCown with Morton/Bates has won more games than the last 2 seasons.  He will win a few more.  He has been fine.  At this point he is making an extra 2mm starting.  He has a good contract.  I like keeping him, drafting someone and sifting through the Hack/Petty pile.  I think Hack survives the Practice Squad.

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

But they are 3-2. Petty and hack are complete trash. We weren’t getting a long term qb next year anyway via free agency or draft. He has been a mature and steady bridge qb. They guy is playing well, it’s hard to debate that 

5 games...5TD/4INT, 1000 yrs passing.  He's playing great?

You got a low bar for 'great'.

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

A bridge to what?

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The thing is we're not 1-4. 

The thing is we don't have a QB on the roster who will be staring in 2018 and also won't have a draft pick high enough to draft one of the top QBs in the draft. But enjoy the 5 or 6 wins this season.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

5 games...5TD/4INT, 1000 yrs passing.  He's playing great?

You got a low bar for 'great'.

What would you like the guy to do to meet your criteria? We are 3-2, he hasn’t blown any games. If petty was out there we be 0-5 and you guys be like “he’s growing” give me a break, you weren’t giving McCown a shot since the start 

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

The thing is we don't have a QB on the roster who will be staring in 2018 and also won't have a draft pick high enough to draft one of the top QBs in the draft. But enjoy the 5 or 6 wins this season.

Ah the tank crowd used to say enjoy your 2-3 wins now they upped it to 5-6 lol

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What would you like the guy to do to meet your criteria? We are 3-2, he hasn’t blown any games. If petty was out there we be 0-5 and you guys be like “he’s growing” give me a break, you weren’t giving McCown a shot since the start 

I really hope you're a troll. For your own sake.

Ah the tank crowd used to say enjoy your 2-3 wins now they upped it to 5-6 lol

In all honesty, what's the difference? It's the same results - good enough to miss out on top prospects. You evidently hate our young QBs, McCown is a joke - who do you want as the 2018 QB considering we wont be in the position to draft a top prospect? Please tell.

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

He tried to 'blow' the Jacksonville game, and he did nothing in this game for like 3 qtrs while CLE self-imploded.

Like I said, he ain't lighting it up, and if a few bounces or plays went another way and we were 1-4, I doubt people would be starting 'McCown is a great addition' threads.  If your threshold is not blowing games, IDK what to say.  If we were 1-4 with his stats I gave everyone would be yelling for a QB change.

It ain't like McCown is winning these games, he's just not losing them...and WE are treading water at QB.  Hell, we even have some here that are already dictating contract terms for a McCown redux next year LMAO.

Strive for mediocrity...it'll get you far.

Just now, shuler82 said:

In all honesty, what's the difference? It's the same results - good enough to miss out on top prospects. You evidently hate our young QBs, McCown is a joke - who do you want as the 2018 QB considering we wont be in the position to draft a top prospect? Please tell.

If you check my posts from the off season I always said the 49ers bears and colts were worse then us and i never even saw a top 5 pick in the draft. I root for wins and a team to build chemistry and learn how to win. Each week if you watch college these supposed Jesus who walks on water qbs stock is going down as well. If we don’t pick top 10’and one of the “big 3” qb prospects aren’t there and we don’t want to trade down, we go hard after cousins. I’m not betting a franchise on a kid in college, sorry no, ask the jaguars and browns how that’s been working

If you check my posts from the off season I always said the 49ers bears and colts were worse then us and i never even saw a top 5 pick in the draft. I root for wins and a team to build chemistry and learn how to win. Each week if you watch college these supposed Jesus who walks on water qbs stock is going down as well. If we don’t pick top 10’and one of the “big 3” qb prospects aren’t there and we don’t want to trade down, we go hard after cousins. I’m not betting a franchise on a kid in college, sorry no, ask the jaguars and browns how that’s been working

I can respect that. But let's not kid ourselves - McCown is what he is - a replacement level journeyman QB. Let's get a real QB in here next year.

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

I can respect that. But let's not kid ourselves - McCown is what he is - a replacement level journeyman QB. Let's get a real QB in here next year.

I agree but my point is that jorneyman is playing pretty well. I’m not saying he’s starting in 2018 but it’s nice to see these young guys get wins. 

Archived