Bills bench Tyrod Taylor

Jet_Engine1

It's so funny the way Tyrod Taylor is being treated like he's an NFL star and above benching when he's done very little in the NFL.  This notion that the Bills derailed their playoff hopes b/c of this- how many playoff games has Tyrod led the Bills to before?  The backup was putrid yesterday, threw 5 picks but they did score 7 w/ him which was 4 more than they scored a week earlier w/ Taylor.  Buffalo is all about their defense this year, when the D creates Tos and scores they usually win, when they don't they usually lose.  it's a pretty simple formula.

In 5 wins

They created 14 TOs and turned it over just 2 times, they also scored 2 TDs one of which was the difference in a 6 pt win and in another win created a To to set up GW FG.

In 5 losses

They have turned it over 11 times while creating just 4 TOs.

for comparison sake the 2017 Jets:

In 4 wins:

we created 9 TOs and turned it over 4 times and haven't scored a TD on D.

in 6 losses:

turned it over 12 times, created 8.

Obviously you usually win more when you create more TOs than you give away but it's been a huge difference for Buffalo this year.

Buffalo is not about the QB this year.  Yes, turning it over the way the QB did yesterday makes it impossible to win and he shouldn't be playing if that continues but this notion that Buffalo sabotaged their season by changing QBs is a joke.  Turning it over 5 times sucks but so does scoring 3 points. 

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It's so funny the way Tyrod Taylor is being treated like he's an NFL star and above benching when he's done very little in the NFL.  This notion that the Bills derailed their playoff hopes b/c of this- how many playoff games has Tyrod led the Bills to before?  The backup was putrid yesterday, threw 5 picks but they did score 7 w/ him which was 4 more than they scored a week earlier w/ Taylor.  Buffalo is all about their defense this year, when the D creates Tos and scores they usually win, when they don't they usually lose.  it's a pretty simple formula.

In 5 wins

They created 14 TOs and turned it over just 2 times, they also scored 2 TDs one of which was the difference in a 6 pt win and in another win created a To to set up GW FG.

In 5 losses

In 4 wins:

in 6 losses:

Obviously you usually win more when you create more TOs than you give away but it's been a huge difference for Buffalo this year.

Buffalo is not about the QB this year.  Yes, turning it over the way the QB did yesterday makes it impossible to win and he shouldn't be playing if that continues but this notion that Buffalo sabotaged their season by changing QBs is a joke.  Turning it over 5 times sucks but so does scoring 3 points. 

He is good, not great.

The bigger issue is the impact on the team when they bench him for a half and bring him back.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

He is good, not great.

The bigger issue is the impact on the team when they bench him for a half and bring him back.

we know you can do a lot worse than Taylor but they were looking for a spark w/ their playoff hopes beginning to fade.  It wasn't an outrageous move on the surface.  w/ the way the backup played it looks outrageous but they would have lost anyway, they have much bigger issues. 

They need to start turning opponents over like they were earlier in the season, it masked a lot of their problems.  Remember, people thought Buf may be tanking too and they have set themselves up w/ a ton of picks.  they got a ton of TOs early and won some games fooling some people into thinking they were good.  Maybe they are just crashing down to reality?

9 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Seriously? That is some stretch. Leadership? Give me a break. That Bills team really showed up today from that great leadership. 3 blowout losses in a row.

Like I said I could care less about the Bills. You excuse the bills stupidity because you think it took balls? So the Jets coaches are stupid and spineless?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

In 5 wins

In 5 losses

In 4 wins:

in 6 losses:

He’s not a star but you don’t bench your starting qb in the middle of a playoff hun

On 11/16/2017 at 4:16 PM, KRL said:

Can't disagree with you, getting Cousins before the draft and using the rest of our cap

space & picks to beef up the roster would make us much more competitive in 2018

I was watching the Redskins/Saints game yesterday. There was a play in the 4th quarter when NO sent an all-out blitz.... 3 players coming straight at Cousins' and he stood in that pocket waiting for Grant to make his cut up-field. No sooner did he release that ball than all 3 NO players buried Cousins. Play resulted in a 40 yd. TD. Very impressed with his toughness. I think Washington may very well place the 3rd Franchise Tag on him if he doesn't sign long term. I believe the next tag will cost them $30 mil.

28 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He’s not a star but you don’t bench your starting qb in the middle of a playoff hun

when your starter isn't a difference maker and you see your team collapsing you do what you have to do.  That move didn't derail anything, they were a sinking ship and he tried to create a spark but in this crazy world where everything is seen as black and white it created ridiculous controversy to make Taylor appear like he was Tom Brady.  again, 5 INts is putrid but is losing leading your O to 3 points any better? they are a mess everywhere right now. at least the HC tried something.  Taylor has never even been in a playoff race let alone the playoffs, he didn't yank some established QB.  he yanked a mediocre at best QB who was playing terribly. Just b/c the backup played worse doesn't mean it was the wrong move.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

when your starter isn't a difference maker and you see your team collapsing you do what you have to do.  That move didn't derail anything, they were a sinking ship and he tried to create a spark but in this crazy world where everything is seen as black and white it created ridiculous controversy to make Taylor appear like he was Tom Brady.  again, 5 INts is putrid but is losing leading your O to 3 points any better? they are a mess everywhere right now. at least the HC tried something.  Taylor has never even been in a playoff race let alone the playoffs, he didn't yank some established QB.  he yanked a mediocre at best QB who was playing terribly. Just b/c the backup played worse doesn't mean it was the wrong move.

Obviously he is a difference maker the bills were 5-4 and then Peterman comes and looks like Christina Hackentard

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Obviously he is a difference maker the bills were 5-4 and then Peterman comes and looks like Christina Hackentard

again, they were winning when their D was creating a million TOs and even scoring for them.  That was the difference maker. a week earlier they got blown out at home where Tyrod led the O to 3 points, this week they got blown out on the road where the backup led them to 7 pts.  Different ways to get there but same result.

The Bills sin was starting Peterman whole they still had a playoff shot.  However Tyrod Taylor will win you nothing in this league and the Bills just found out that peterman sucks badly.  Thus they can go about getting ready to out bid the jets to move up in the draft.

And it would not surprise me much at all Tyrod Taylor is the jets starter next year.  If the Bills dump him he is just the kind of guy bolwes would like.  A safe low turnover.

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I was watching the Redskins/Saints game yesterday. There was a play in the 4th quarter when NO sent an all-out blitz.... 3 players coming straight at Cousins' and he stood in that pocket waiting for Grant to make his cut up-field. No sooner did he release that ball than all 3 NO players buried Cousins. Play resulted in a 40 yd. TD. Very impressed with his toughness. I think Washington may very well place the 3rd Franchise Tag on him if he doesn't sign long term. I believe the next tag will cost them $30 mil.

I think I read somewhere that they can place the transition tag on him for $28M instead of the Franchise tag for $32M. I don't think he wants to sign a long term deal with Washington so if he hits FA I think we'd be silly not to go after him but we also can't rule out them slapping the transition tag on him and trying to trade him for X asking price and then being okay with keeping him if that trade compensation is not offered. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Bills sin was starting Peterman whole they still had a playoff shot.  However Tyrod Taylor will win you nothing in this league and the Bills just found out that peterman sucks badly.  Thus they can go about getting ready to out bid the jets to move up in the draft.

And it would not surprise me much at all Tyrod Taylor is the jets starter next year.  If the Bills dump him he is just the kind of guy bolwes would like.  A safe low turnover.

I think he goes to Denver

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

again, they were winning when their D was creating a million TOs and even scoring for them.  That was the difference maker. a week earlier they got blown out at home where Tyrod led the O to 3 points, this week they got blown out on the road where the backup led them to 7 pts.  Different ways to get there but same result.

The bills receivers are the Suck even the jets have better receivers. I know you expect the 2000 Rams offense with those scrub wideouts.  Taylor was getting first downs and not turning the ball over

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The bills receivers are the Suck even the jets have better receivers. I know you expect the 2000 Rams offense with those scrub wideouts.  Taylor was getting first downs and not turning the ball over

is the idea to gain 1st downs or score points?  B/c they weren't scoring points until garbage time, he's an excellent garbage time QB as he showed once again yesterday.  they had the same talent around them, one week they lost scoring 3, the next scoring 7- it's just as bad either way.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Very true.

However Bills fans whose fans have not seen a playoff team in 20 years and in a league where an 8-8 team might get in will be hard to console.

as you said the timing of the move is thev idiocy

48 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Very true.

However Bills fans whose fans have not seen a playoff team in 20 years and in a league where an 8-8 team might get in will be hard to console.

as you said the timing of the move is thev idiocy

if they were winning b/c of Tyrod I'd agree but the season was slipping away and Tyrod wasn't doing anything to prevent it.  They won when the D was playing well in turning the opponent over(remember a few weeks back when everyone was gloating how bad Rex was and how great they were w/o him?), they have lost when the D stopped created TOs.  if your O needs 3-4 TOs a week to win you don't have a very good offense but that is what they needed and changing QBs didn't change anything in regards to the playoffs. 

15 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Gotta love these self reach arounds

They are great, mostly because I have exceedingly strong forearms. Being that I'm a primate and all.

As for Peterman, I still like him and think that he makes a better late pick at QB than Hack or Petty. Give Peterman the 2-3 years of "development" that both Hack and Petty have received and see how they compare.

17 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

If you mean having the team not show up, start and then bench the QB after a half and 4 ints, while being in a playoff race, then yes, very colorful.

He had it rough in the first half, but the horrendous stats make it look worse than it actually was.

One of the picks was a perfectly thrown strike bounced off (I think it was) his wide open FB's hands. Two of the others he got hit as he was throwing. One of the last two was purely on the QB. One of the other two was clear miscommunication (don't know if the fault lied with the QB or the WR, but the QB hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt). 

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

He is good, not great.

Yeah, I have no issue with McDermott benching Taylor. What you can't do is then put Peterman back on the bench after 2 quarters because he's not ready to play, makes you think McDermott's in over his head

12 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Yeah, I have no issue with McDermott benching Taylor. What you can't do is then put Peterman back on the bench after 2 quarters because he's not ready to play, makes you think McDermott's in over his head

Next week when and if Taylor has a bad half, the onus will be back on McDermott. He had now set a precedent 

No one paying attention(or w/o an agenda) would suggest the Bills were a lock to make the playoffs at 5-4.  Anyone paying attention understood what Taylor was doing w/ that offense and how the Bills were winning earlier in the season. we haven't even really begun the playoff races and people are acting like the Bills were a sure thing b/c a QB that has never been in a playoff race led his O to 18 PPG.  Their HC saw the season slipping away and tried to do something to stop it, it didn't work but I commend him for trying rather than leaving things alone and just hoping all of a sudden the O would score 25-30 PPG.

Just now, nyjunc said:

No one paying attention(or w/o an agenda) would suggest the Bills were a lock to make the playoffs at 5-4.  Anyone paying attention understood what Taylor was doing w/ that offense and how the Bills were winning earlier in the season. we haven't even really begun the playoff races and people are acting like the Bills were a sure thing b/c a QB that has never been in a playoff race led his O to 18 PPG.  Their HC saw the season slipping away and tried to do something to stop it, it didn't work but I commend him for trying rather than leaving things alone and just hoping all of a sudden the O would score 25-30 PPG.

I understand that. But public perception will not fall that way. This is a QB league. Taylor has put up good stats up until the Saints game. It will be seen as a panic move compounded by another when he benched Peterman

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I understand that. But public perception will not fall that way. This is a QB league. Taylor has put up good stats up until the Saints game. It will be seen as a panic move compounded by another when he benched Peterman

everything skews toward certain perceptions these days, if the Bills are really moving in the right direction they won't allow certain agendas/perceptions to slow them down.  Taylor was not having a good season despite decent #s.  In his starts the O scored 18.1 PPg w/ him and that includes many garbage time points including the 2 TDs vs. us when that game was long over.  People that just look at stat sheets w/o context and have their agendas won't separate that from the #s but the people who watch will. 

I hope the move sets Buffalo back, I hope they buckle to outside pressure and this sets them back but I don't believe that will happen.  Buffalo's new management has done a great job since taking over and they have them set up to finally break the playoff drought in the coming years.  Buffalo is going to be tough in the coming years and I hope we will be too.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

everything skews toward certain perceptions these days, if the Bills are really moving in the right direction they won't allow certain agendas/perceptions to slow them down.  Taylor was not having a good season despite decent #s.  In his starts the O scored 18.1 PPg w/ him and that includes many garbage time points including the 2 TDs vs. us when that game was long over.  People that just look at stat sheets w/o context and have their agendas won't separate that from the #s but the people who watch will. 

I hope the move sets Buffalo back, I hope they buckle to outside pressure and this sets them back but I don't believe that will happen.  Buffalo's new management has done a great job since taking over and they have them set up to finally break the playoff drought in the coming years.  Buffalo is going to be tough in the coming years and I hope we will be too.

There were two main errors with the move. One major and one minor:

1. Minor one was the timing, which can be explained away by your stats that Taylor wasn’t doing much to get them there.

2. The major one. Why did McDermott pull him at halftime? If you had enough faith to start him you can’t just pull him after a bad half and put in the guy you just benched. It makes you look Indecisive 

As for the stats, this is the age of fantasy football. Stays are what matter. People like you however say that although the Jets are tied with the Giants for most TD passes given up, their passing defense is better than last year 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

There were two main errors with the move. One major and one minor:

1. Minor one was the timing, which can be explained away by your stats that Taylor wasn’t doing much to get them there.

2. The major one. Why did McDermott pull him at halftime? If you had enough faith to start him you can’t just pull him after a bad half and put in the guy you just benched. It makes you look Indecisive 

the guy had 5 INTs and even though they all weren't his fault he still had 5 INTs at the half.  I don't think he made a mistake w/ either move but you may be right.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I mean he can say that he is trying to save his confidence but then why put him out where to begin with?

he thought he was ready but when everything goes wrong in the 1st half and the game is over he decided to take him out.  I can see your thinking but what if 5 INTs turned into 7-8-9?  then the guy is done forever.

Just now, nyjunc said:

he thought he was ready but when everything goes wrong in the 1st half and the game is over he decided to take him out.  I can see your thinking but what if 5 INTs turned into 7-8-9?  then the guy is done forever.

And I get your thinking as well. At the end of the day McDermott thought he was ready and he wasn’t. That’s on McDermott

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think I read somewhere that they can place the transition tag on him for $28M instead of the Franchise tag for $32M. I don't think he wants to sign a long term deal with Washington so if he hits FA I think we'd be silly not to go after him but we also can't rule out them slapping the transition tag on him and trying to trade him for X asking price and then being okay with keeping him if that trade compensation is not offered. 

Isnt the transition tag a 2nd round pick? Maybe that's why Macc was adamant about getting at least a 2nd for Sheldon. Contingency plan if somehow Cousins gets a transition tag. Poison pill baby! I'd take Cousins in a heartbeat, we need his accuracy & toughness. Front load the sh*t out of the contract!

Archived