Bills bench Tyrod Taylor

Jet_Engine1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He had it rough in the first half, but the horrendous stats make it look worse than it actually was.

One of the picks was a perfectly thrown strike bounced off (I think it was) his wide open FB's hands. Two of the others he got hit as he was throwing. One of the last two was purely on the QB. One of the other two was clear miscommunication (don't know if the fault lied with the QB or the WR, but the QB hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt). 

I haven't figured out how yet, but this is definitely a knock on either Maccagnan, or Sanchez, but this is some serious jiu-jitsu right heeeeee

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

we know you can do a lot worse than Taylor but they were looking for a spark w/ their playoff hopes beginning to fade.  It wasn't an outrageous move on the surface.  w/ the way the backup played it looks outrageous but they would have lost anyway, they have much bigger issues. 

They need to start turning opponents over like they were earlier in the season, it masked a lot of their problems.  Remember, people thought Buf may be tanking too and they have set themselves up w/ a ton of picks.  they got a ton of TOs early and won some games fooling some people into thinking they were good.  Maybe they are just crashing down to reality?

Getting rid of all their best players isn't helping either.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Isnt the transition tag a 2nd round pick? Maybe that's why Macc was adamant about getting at least a 2nd for Sheldon. Contingency plan if somehow Cousins gets a transition tag. Poison pill baby! I'd take Cousins in a heartbeat, we need his accuracy & toughness. Front load the sh*t out of the contract!

I'm torn on it. I think it will depend on where we finish and how the draft lines up. If we are picking 10-12 and feel like we won't be able to move up then I think we should go for Cousins. If somehow it works out where we are in the top 3 picks then I think we will take a young QB. If we front load a Cousins contract for the first 2 years I think we could keep his cap number down lower in the later years when we'd need to resign some young guys. Either way it's nice to have picks and money this year.

On 11/19/2017 at 7:47 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Today's debacle for Bills means absent nuclear war Todd Bowles is NEVER putting in Petty or Hack.

The Bills coach lost the team and the locker all in one move....

Unbelievable 

Yup.  

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

sure but it's not like they have been winning w/ those guys.  this is part of the problem of changing regimes every few years.  the new regime comes in and wants new players and will get rid of certain guys even if they are talented.  Until they break that cycle they will never be successful but I really like what they have done so far.  we'll see if it finally works.  we are in a similar situation though obviously not nearly as long w/o postseason.  we can't keep changing every few years.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

I know Marcel Dareus was overpaid vs. his production, but ever since they traded him they've been a different team on defense. We ran all over them, New Orleans ran all over them, and SD destroyed them.

Whether it was Dareus specifically, or the effect of trading a guy mid season, I don't know. But the last three weeks they've shipped out 34, 47 and 54 points (45 points average) and before they were on 16.5 average. That's quite a change.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I know Marcel Dareus was team sportsoverpaid vs. his production, but ever since they traded him they've been a different team on defense. We ran all over them, New Orleans ran all over them, and SD destroyed them.

Whether it was Dareus specifically, or the effect of trading a guy mid season, I don't know. But the last three weeks they've shipped out 34, 47 and 54 points (45 points average) and before they were on 16.5 average. That's quite a change.

Thank you and that isn't a coincidence, teams can't essentially tank (get rid of key players) and try and win at the same time, it doesn't work that way in team sports, especially football.......

I really feel that many teams and the league have been infected with FF and act like the philosophy that underlies FF is somehow connected to running a successful NFL team and it isn't.

On 11/19/2017 at 5:45 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh - is Stidham supposed to be in this draft?  I thought I had read he'd be in the following year's draft.

He's eligible to; whether or not he does come out is a whole other story.  The same goes for Rosen and Darnold.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

sure but it's not like they have been winning w/ those guys.  this is part of the problem of changing regimes every few years.  the new regime comes in and wants new players and will get rid of certain guys even if they are talented.  Until they break that cycle they will never be successful but I really like what they have done so far.  we'll see if it finally works.  we are in a similar situation though obviously not nearly as long w/o postseason.  we can't keep changing every few years.

I am with you on all that. The grass isn't always greener.

43 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And now the Bills are going back to Taylor. Why bench him if your only going to sit him for one game? McDermott has fouled this up horribly

Maybe he needed to see if the guy could give the team a spark? It didn't work out for them, but good for him shaking it up. 

I give him credit for trying something different, unlike our moron coach.

Bills played this perfectly.  In one game they found out that the stage is too big for peterman and at best he is a long range prospect and will likely not be the man.  They know that Tryrod is a guy that will not win the super bowl with and they have silenced the fan base that wants peterman to get his shot.

They now can concentrate on getting their package together of their 2 first rounders this coming year plus other picks to go up and get Darnold or Rosen.

They win on all fronts.

On 11/20/2017 at 3:22 PM, King P said:

If you make that move, gotta stick to it. Don't pussyfoot around.

Interesting to see how this gets handled going forward

I dont think so. Peterman was god awful and you basically saw that he cant play. They got it over with. Back to Tyrod. It'd be nice if the Jets did the same with Hackenberg.

4 minutes ago, shevys said:

Maybe he needed to see if the guy could give the team a spark? It didn't work out for them, but good for him shaking it up. 

I give him credit for trying something different, unlike our moron coach.

Funny, how a moron watches a guy in practice every day and realizes he isn't ready but a person who's not a moron does the same thing and can't tell . 

Morons must be getting smarter these days .

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Bills played this perfectly.  In one game they found out that the stage is too big for peterman and at best he is a long range prospect and will likely not be the man.  They know that Tryrod is a guy that will not win the super bowl with and they have silenced the fan base that wants peterman to get his shot.

They now can concentrate on getting their package together of their 2 first rounders this coming year plus other picks to go up and get Darnold or Rosen.

They win on all fronts.

So they exposed a rookie QB to satisfy the curiosity of their fan base and because of that it was the perfect storm .  See I thought you played to win the game, not satisfy the fan base .  

Thanks for cluing me in on the truth . 

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They win on all fronts.

Not a crazy assessment at all. Actually, it makes a lot of sense. 

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

So they exposed a rookie QB to satisfy the curiosity of their fan base and because of that it was the perfect storm .  See I thought you played to win the game, not satisfy the fan base .  

they did it b/c their season was fading fast and they decided to try something rather than wait until it was too late.  Our QB has been better than Taylor this year.

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

No they played a rookie who they thought was good to see if he could play.  The happy side effect is they appeased a fan base that wanted to know, you know much like 95% of this fan base that has been clamoring all year to see Hack or Petty.

The Bills probably like the 'smart' teams should have red shirted the guy for 2 or 3 years I suppose.

Bills know:

Peterman is a long ways off he is no Watson, he probably sucks outright.

Tyrod will not win you a super bowl.

They need to go get a franchise Qb this off season.

The Bills actually figured out that you need to see a player in liver NFL action in the reg season when something is one the line to see if a guy can play.  Un like the Jets who have Todd Bowles decide that guys can play or not from a few ex games.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No they played a rookie who they thought was good to see if he could play.  The happy side effect is they appeased a fan base that wanted to know, you know much like 95% of this fan base that has been clamoring all year to see Hack or Petty.

The Bills probably like the 'smart' teams should have red shirted the guy for 2 or 3 years I suppose.

Bills know:

Peterman is a long ways off he is no Watson, he probably sucks outright.

Tyrod will not win you a super bowl.

They need to go get a franchise Qb this off season.

The Bills actually figured out that you need to see a player in liver NFL action in the reg season when something is one the line to see if a guy can play.  Un like the Jets who have Todd Bowles decide that guys can play or not from a few ex games.

Exactly. People can kill the coaches in the short term bc of all the turnovers committed by Peterman. They can bitch they maybe he cost the bills the game.

But the reality is that the bills were able to perform somewhat of an evaluation process regarding the most important position on the team. In the long term that information is much more valuable than the potential W they could have had if they started Taylor.

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Exactly. People can kill the coaches in the short term bc of all the turnovers committed by Peterman. They can bitch they maybe he cost the bills the game.

But the reality is that the bills were able to perform somewhat of an evaluation process regarding the most important position on the team. In the long term that information is much more valuable than the potential W they could have had if they started Taylor.

the reality is also that a week earlier they got blown out where Taylor led his O to 3 points and the week befo0re that they got blown out where he led his O to 7 points before garbage time.  He was trying to create a spark, it didn't work but I applaud him for trying.

25 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Funny, how a moron watches a guy in practice every day and realizes he isn't ready but a person who's not a moron does the same thing and can't tell . 

Morons must be getting smarter these days .

Pretty sure they're both morons. One's got a pair of balls, the other doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they did it b/c their season was fading fast and they decided to try something rather than wait until it was too late.  Our QB has been better than Taylor this year.

folks, the Bills season went in the toilet immediately after the trade of their DT .  The bills are still scoring points, but right now they can't stop a nose bleed . 

Taylor was never the problem, and a coaching staff who watches players everyday should know who gives them the best chance to win, since that's why you play the game . 

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

folks, the Bills season went in the toilet immediately after the trade of their DT .  The bills are still scoring points, but right now they can't stop a nose bleed . 

Taylor was never the problem, and a coaching staff who watches players everyday should know who gives them the best chance to win, since that's why you play the game . 

still scoring points? they haven't scored points most of the year.  at the time of his benching the O was averaging 18.1 PPG and that included all the garbage time points.  I agree the D is the issue but the D was why they were winning earlier in the year.  when the D was forcing a million TOs and scoring they were winning, when that stopped their season tanked.

Taylor was not giving them a good chance to win, he was doing very little actually and the 2 previous games prior to the benching he led his O to 10 pts in non garbage time action. The '85 Bears would struggle to win w/ that O.

oh please.. the defending of Mcdermott is silly.

It was a stupid decision and he looks like a jackass to his team, their fans, and the rest of the NFL.

as if a 1 game audition would be the basis for a decision on drafting a QB...  right.

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

and actually Dareus' last game was against TB where they won 30-27 as the D forced 3 TOs including the fumble that set up the GW FG w/ about 2 mins left. they also forced another fumble in the 2nd qtr when TB was in FG range and an INT which set up Buf at TB 26 but the Bills O botched that one and they didn't score.

the next game w/o him they won 34-14 over Oakland where they forced 4 TOs.

TO #1: w/ under min left in 2nd qtr D forced fumble and goes in for the TD giving Buf a 14-7 halftime lead.

TO#2: ste up FG

TO #3: set up TD

TO #4: ended game

what changed after that game?  they went from 7 TOs created and a TD scored in 2 games to 1 TO created over the next 3 games where they scored a grand total of 17 non garbage time points.  it's all about creating TOs for that D and that team, if they don't then they don't score and don't have a  chance to win.  it's hard to win w/ an offense like that.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

still scoring points? they haven't scored points most of the year.  at the time of his benching the O was averaging 18.1 PPG and that included all the garbage time points.  I agree the D is the issue but the D was why they were winning earlier in the year.  when the D was forcing a million TOs and scoring they were winning, when that stopped their season tanked.

Taylor was not giving them a good chance to win, he was doing very little actually and the 2 previous games prior to the benching he led his O to 10 pts in non garbage time action. The '85 Bears would struggle to win w/ that O.

I wonder if taking care of the ball instead of throwing into coverage aids or helps the team in winning games ?  The Bills were 5-2 and tied for the lead in the AFC  East . They lost to the  Jets, Saints and Chargers all after trading their Run stuffing DT because they can't stop the run anymore but it's the fault of the QB  . 

Questions :

How do the Jets team look when they can stop the run vs when they can't  ?  

Why is home field advantage important  in sports ?

Why do teams request fan support when things are going well  ?

Why do people who serve always think they know better than people who lead ?  

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I wonder if taking care of the ball instead of throwing into coverage aids or helps the team in winning games ?  The Bills were 5-2 and tied for the lead in the AFC  East . They lost to the  Jets, Saints and Chargers all after trading their Run stuffing DT because they can't stop the run anymore but it's the fault of the QB  . 

Questions :

How do the Jets team look when they can stop the run vs when they can't  ?  

Why is home field advantage important  in sports ?

Why do teams request fan support when things are going well  ?

Why do people who serve always think they know better than people who lead ?  

again, they were winning b/c their D was turning teams over at a ridiculous rate.  once that stopped they stopped winning. 

also again, they beat the Raiders handily after trading dareus but they forced 4 TOs.  The D is why they have lost recently but the D was why they were winning.  Taylor was inconsequential to the outcome of games.  They looked for a spark, it didn't work but at least they tried something rather than just doing the same thing over and over again that wasn't working.

and by the way, they beat Atlanta when they allowed 147 rush yds(w/ Dareus), why?  b/c they forced 3 TOs including a defensive TD in a 6 point win.  it's all about TOs created w/ this team. the other 2 TOs set up FGs, +13 in TO points and they won by 6. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Nope not when you’re 5-4. The timing was stupid

5-4 and on a losing streak. What's there to lose? it's obvious to anyone that the coach has no faith in Tyrod and was trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Credit in my book for trying to shake things up. 

2 minutes ago, shevys said:

5-4 and on a losing streak. What's there to lose? it's obvious to anyone that the coach has no faith in Tyrod and was trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Credit in my book for trying to shake things up. 

And then he gave up on it after 1 half. Shows Indecisivness. And he’s gone back to Taylor

Archived