Number ONE pick today, 1/30/17

DoubleU

Assuming I'm making this pick for Cleveland...I would actually trade this pick (fans would lose there mind again) for another pick in the top ten plus a multitude of other picks this year and next.  

I would pick Sam.  It wasn't all on him yesterday.  Then entire team was manhandled by the Buckeyes.  I saw some very good throws on target early on. He looks very promising.  I know these Bowl games are dissected well by everyone but I wouldn't make turn a blind eye to all his accomplishments because of his final stat line last night.  We've seen QB's go nuts in bowl games only to disappear in the NFL. 

EDIT ****Needed my coffee before I realized  i was picking for THE JETS!!

I would grab Mayfield but Lamar Jackson is so intruiging.****

21 minutes ago, DoubleU said:

If you were in a position where you had to select the number ONE OVERALL  pick today,  for the Jets,  who would your selection be?

If I hold the #1 pick, I trade down, and draft Saquon Barkley, RB.  I don't believe either Darnold or Rosen will be legit NFL #1's.  We would then need to have signed an Alex Smith type FA QB, very doable.

Baker Mayfield if at our own pick (#6-#8).

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If I hold the #1 pick, I trade down, and draft Saquon Barkley, RB.  I don't believe either Darnold or Rosen will be legit NFL #1's.  We would then need to have signed an Alex Smith type FA QB, very doable.

Barkley disappeared too many times this year for me to consider him a top 10 pick.

I agree with Mayfield though.

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you like a QB enough to take him at #6 and you don’t have one and haven’t had one in forever, what’s the difference than taking him at #1?  

This is very Adams > Mahomes/Watson like. 

And trade back for an unproductive college PSU RB?  I don’t man.  

At this point, if I’m at #1 I take Rosen.

Trade back with the Giants, they take Rosen, we take [fill in the name of the only 1st round QB in this draft class that busts], but gets lots of picks, that we use on back-up offensive guards who are projects... while Rosen goes to the hall of fame.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Trade back with the Giants, they take Rosen, we take [fill in the name of the only 1st round QB in this draft class that busts], but gets lots of picks, that we use on back-up offensive guards who are projects... while Rosen goes to the hall of fame.

Make a real pick Integrity, lol,  so we can hold you accountable.

Trying to put myself in their shoes, and really think like a Jets executive, I am pretty positive I would pass on the pick. Can you imagine the leverage a #1 pick would have in contract negotiations? And the headache of having to give him game time when clearly the best option is next year's newest (oldest) available journeyman?

9 minutes ago, DoubleU said:

Make a real pick Integrity, lol,  so we can hold you accountable.

I just said Rosen would go #1 overall. 

I don't know how you're going to "hold me accountable" for a hypothetical scenario, but okay... 

I pick Mayfield no matter what. If he fails he fails. I don't trade the pick, I don't analyze it until my head explodes, I just pick the guy. I would even be happy with re-signing McCown for a season or two if they just picked this kid. Baker or bust IMO.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

I pick Mayfield no matter what. If he fails he fails. I don't trade the pick, I don't analyze it until my head explodes, I just pick the guy. I would even be happy with re-signing McCown for a season or two if they just picked this kid. Baker or bust IMO.

I'm kinda here myself.  Just pick the Baker.  I just think Macc prefers the prototypical sized QB.  Rudolph or Allen I'm guessing...

56 minutes ago, JiF said:

If you like a QB enough to take him at #6 and you don’t have one and haven’t had one in forever, what’s the difference than taking him at #1?  

This is very Adams > Mahomes/Watson like. 

And trade back for an unproductive college PSU RB?  I don’t man.  

At this point, if I’m at #1 I take Rosen.

Agree 100%.

When it comes to getting your franchise QB, if there is a guy you like, that you think can lead your franchise for the next decade, then you don't worry about his value at 1, 6, 8 or 10.  You take him when you have the chance. 

I guess if I had to choose right now, if we had #1, I am probably taking Rosen, but the injury/concussion history scare me.   

Archived