Congrats to Jamal Adams.

UnitedWhofans

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

No matter how hard you try, that isn't a real stat.  Adams also did not "lead rookie safeties in that stat,:  He got a 7 AV, tied with Eddie Jackson.  Budda Baker got a 9.  Congratulations, Jamal Adams!  On point higher AV than Marcus Maye and Williams.

He had a solid rookie season.  One of the better rookie safeties this year.  Not exactly what I am looking for at 6 overall.  

Guess who wanted Baker. This guy. More proof Hess>Mac

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus, you’d swear this guy just Gholston’d the season or picked himself at 6. He’s not actually a bad player, passing on Watson isn’t on him, and there’s not one single player taken after him in the first that I’m sh*tting my pants over missing (besides Watson). I don’t care about general wisdom when it does not apply to a specific situation.

Congrats to this guy. G’luck making a name with the most ****boyiest of sports franchises. 

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

PFWA is the group that named Maccagnan Executive of the Year, so clearly these guys know their stuff

Same guys who voted Jerry Jones Exec of year. Not exactly company you’d want to be associated with. 

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Aside from QB? Why even ask that?

Because of course that's the most important position and easy to say after seeing them play for a year and have success. And because after Adams I don't really see a big argument of who would've been better at the time. 

45 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I would have taken Mahomes, but it's really irrelevant what I would have done.

If you don't like what's staring at you at six, then you trade down (even if you don't like the trade value) until you can match "BAP" with a real position of need. This is particularly easy when you're a terrible team and have massive holes at the most important positions on the football field. Safety is not a difficult position to fill. Why waste your most valuable asset on it? This "best available player" nonsense needs to account for positions that are more valuable than others but in the retarded world of Mike Maccagnan, it doesn't.

This BAP crap gets us into more trouble than it should. We had to run our previous first round pick out of town (Richardson) and trade him for a second rounder because our dipsh*t general manager couldn't figure how not to draft a good player at a position he was already stacked at. Think about that. He gave up an asset for pennies on the dollar because he was incapable of not drafting someone at the same position.

Lastly, I'm sure the Jaguars had Jamal Adams rated higher than Fournette, but they didn't just blindly draft Adams because I'm guessing someone in the organization had the understanding that drafting safeties so high is bad business. Maybe it also occurred to them that Jamal Adams wasn't going to score them three touchdowns against the Steelers to put them in the AFC championship game.

So you you wanted to trade down for a corner. All you had to say. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Because of course that's the most important position and easy to say after seeing them play for a year and have success. And because after Adams I don't really see a big argument of who would've been better at the time. 

So you you wanted to trade down for a corner. All you had to say. 

Marshon Lattimore is worth 10x more than Adams, so yeah, actually, CB would have been fine.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

One with huge durability issues and considered injury prone. Easy to pick and choose a year later isn't it.

Well I'm not picking and choosing. As a general rule, you should never pick a safety with a top ten pick, unless it's the last piece of a puzzle. Just like it's generally accepted that you don't draft kickers/punters in rounds one and two, you shouldn't draft safeties in the top of round 1.

I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend but alas, here we are. 

31 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Marshon Lattimore is worth 10x more than Adams, so yeah, actually, CB would have been fine.

Id take all the edge players besides Charles Harris taken in the first over Adams. Would obvoiusly take Lattimore and probably Mccafrey. Hooker at safety if we had to go safety, even with the injuries.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

So which of these high impact guys taken 6th overall the last few years would you have liked?

Ronnie Stanley

Jake Matthews

Barkevious Mingo

Morris Claiborne (irony)

So will it be one of the pedestrian lineman, bust OLB, or the guy we now have?

So, only guys who were taken at 6 count?  Anyone taken in the top 10 doesn't count?

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

If you don't like what's staring at you at six, then you trade down (even if you don't like the trade value) until you can match "BAP" with a real position of need. This is particularly easy when you're a terrible team and have massive holes at the most important positions on the football field. Safety is not a difficult position to fill. Why waste your most valuable asset on it? This "best available player" nonsense needs to account for positions that are more valuable than others but in the retarded world of Mike Maccagnan, it doesn't.

This BAP crap gets us into more trouble than it should. We had to run our previous first round pick out of town (Richardson) and trade him for a second rounder because our dipsh*t general manager couldn't figure how not to draft a good player at a position he was already stacked at. Think about that. He gave up an asset for pennies on the dollar because he was incapable of not drafting someone at the same position.

Lastly, I'm sure the Jaguars had Jamal Adams rated higher than Fournette, but they didn't just blindly draft Adams because I'm guessing someone in the organization had the understanding that drafting safeties so high is bad business. Maybe it also occurred to them that Jamal Adams wasn't going to score them three touchdowns against the Steelers to put them in the AFC championship game.

Until recently, the Jets had nearly two decades of the "best center in the league."  Lot of good that did.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So, only guys who were taken at 6 count?  Anyone taken in the top 10 doesn't count?

I quoted someone who mentioned the 6th pick specifically.

I'll play your game if you want though..  you can show me an amazing player taken 6th through 10 the last few years and I'll show you 5 times as many that are average or suck.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'll play your game if you want though..  you can show me an amazing player taken 6th through 10 the last few years and I'll show you 5 times as many that are average or suck.

The point of the whole debate is generally that your better served taking a player who has a chance to be an impact player, rather than shooting for low-impact/high-ceiling, or trading the pick and adding value.

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

If Fournette is available at 6 the Jets almost certainly take him. They brought him in for an interview, which has been a great indicator of their first pick for almost 20 years now. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

If Fournette is available at 6 the Jets almost certainly take him. They brought him in for an interview, which has been a great indicator of their first pick for almost 20 years now. 

They also interviewed Adams, no?

30 minutes ago, Pac said:

So if we're playing hindsight for more premium positions of need:

2017: Mahomes (10) Lattimore (11) Watson (12) Ramczyk (32)...picked 6

2016: Fuller (21) Treadwell (23) Smith (34)....picked 20

2015: Beasley (8) Gurley (10) Parker (14)....pick 6

2014: Cooks (20) Verrett (24) M Lee (39)...pick 19

wow, the Jets picked two strong safeties in the first round twice in four years. Actually Three if we want to count Lee. A DE they already had their two best players playing the position. Wonder why they suck

Remember when he was drafted and most people agreed he would go through ups and downs, especially with a fellow rookie back there and an below average set of cb’s?

Knocking him because a different pick was preferred is so douche....Jets fans are f#ckin miserable pricks. The same people would talk about how great he is and praise our stand out defensive player if he made the pro bowl every year for the rest of his career....and how he was such a great pick.

I like Adams...think he’s solid and will get better. 

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah and there’s this:

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/04/21/jets-wonder-why-lsus-jamal-adams-even-bothered-to-visit/

You know, I try and give these guys the benefit of doubt lol...OTOH the same is probably true of Fournette. 

That's why I remember the interview.  They had a mega-boner about the safety, so I'm not sure a RB would have done it.  Also, Fournette would have had a rough year here, with this offensive line.

I'd advocated for it at the time, and I'd stick with it now.  Should have traded back if you weren't going to chance it on a QB.

2 minutes ago, TnT said:

Remember when he was drafted and most people agreed he would go through ups and downs, especially with a fellow rookie back there and an below average set of cb’s?

Not really. I definitely remember people calling him the best player in the draft though.

33 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The point of the whole debate is generally that your better served taking a player who has a chance to be an impact player, rather than shooting for low-impact/high-ceiling, or trading the pick and adding value.

So then let me surprise you with a couple facts...  You know the number 1 position taken in the top 10 the last 5 years?  O-line.

In fact, 11 O-lineman have been taken in the top 10 which is the same amount as the combined  total of QB's and RB's taken.

I guess the NFL GM's aren't getting the memo that you're supposed to abandoned your draft board in favor of the "impact" player.

Guess how many wins the QB's taken in the top 10 have since 13'? 

3..  and 2 of them are the last 2 weeks from Blake Bortles

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

So then let me surprise you with a couple facts...  You know the number 1 position taken in the top 10 the last 5 years?  O-line.

In fact, 11 O-lineman have been taken in the top 10 which is the same amount as the combined  total of QB's and RB's taken.

I guess the NFL GM's aren't getting the memo that you're supposed to abandoned your draft board in favor of the "impact" player.

3..  and 2 of them are from Blake Bortles

But OT is a premium position and Qbs take time to develop esp when on a sh*t team picking in the top 10, only 1 starts w longer careers.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

3..  and 2 of them are from Blake Bortles

Oh Pac. Sweet Pac. You adorable man you.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not really. I definitely remember people calling him the best player in the draft though.

As do I...see how that works? Not being full of sh#t just to support your own narrative.

Archived