Colts interested in trading #3 pick

Patriot Killa

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

How do I know they love him? I’ve read pretty much every single update from the Senior Bowl and Elway/Vance are constantly all over the kid. They are quoted publicly saying he is one hell of a QB.

do you play poker with your cards faced up?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good news is I think the Browns will be looking to trade #4 as well   taking away some of indys leverage 

What I would give to be able to listen to the calls on draft day, some serious bluffing going on and balls to the wall deal making 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

You didn’t do any math. Be real with yourself. 3 spots. Do you know how much Chicago gave up to move 3 spots? Not a single first or second rounder. 

chicago didn't move up 3 spots.  they moved up one spot.  big difference.  basically if the 49ers had someone in mind and it wasn't who chicago wanted they got free picks to move back.  and they still got a nice chunk.  i think it costs us at least our top 2nd round pick and maybe a 3rd as well to move up to 3.

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

do you play poker with your cards faced up?

....... it doesn’t take a psychic to tell they will take them if they don’t get Cousins.. They personally requested him on their team so they could coach them. Excuse yourself from the big boys conversation. You obviously are looking to pick an argument when there is none to be made.

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

The Rams and Eagles both traded up just a week or two before the draft. I don’t think any moves would be made before free agency. 

Too many variables to do it so far in advance. 

Agree way too many things could change to even think about doing this in freaking January.

The Rams trading up to #1 a week before the draft, followed by the Eagles the day before (when they probably knew which QB they'd be getting), are both wayyyyyy different in both cases than trading up to #3 in January.

In 2016, there were 2 QBs more or less equally rated, and then there was everybody else, with the real chance no one else would get taken in round 1 outright. Other than some (obviously false) rumors, the only one even thought of as sniffing the top 10 was Lynch, who lasted to like #25-ish.

Plus even before Philadelphia re-upped Bradford in Feb (?), there wasn't a Cousins-equivalent QB available in FA that year. The next-best was freaking Fitzpatrick.

Trading up to #3 this year now, before FA begins, before players are tagged, before the combine begins, let alone before we know if the top 2 QBs will already be off the board and how highly rated the 3rd guy will be? Way premature. Too much shuffles around between now and then. 

Moving up to #3 a full month before the combine isn't in the same galaxy as moving up to #1 a week before the draft, or to #2 the day before the draft with 2 equally-rated QBs expected to go 1-2.

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

chicago didn't move up 3 spots.  they moved up one spot.  big difference.  basically if the 49ers had someone in mind and it wasn't who chicago wanted they got free picks to move back.  and they still got a nice chunk.  i think it costs us at least our top 2nd round pick and maybe a 3rd as well to move up to 3.

They moved up 2 spots and I actually meant 2 spots but am just now seeing I typo-d ... 

27 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jim Irsay loves Saquon Barkley and wants to pair him up with Luck but knows he can trade down a couple spots and still get him

which means the colts want to trade down with us.  We should only do it if Darnold might fall to 3 but I strongly doubt that

Are we fantasizing here?

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree way too many things could change to even think about doing this in freaking January.

The Rams trading up to #1 a week before the draft, followed by the Eagles the day before (when they probably knew which QB they'd be getting), are both wayyyyyy different in both cases than trading up to #3 in January.

In 2016, there were 2 QBs more or less equally rated, and then there was everybody else, with the real chance no one else would get taken in round 1 outright. Other than some (obviously false) rumors, the only one even thought of as sniffing the top 10 was Lynch, who lasted to like #25-ish.

Plus even before Philadelphia re-upped Bradford in Feb (?), there wasn't a Cousins-equivalent QB available in FA that year. The next-best was freaking Fitzpatrick.

Trading up to #3 this year now, before FA begins, before players are tagged, before the combine begins, let alone before we know if the top 2 QBs will already be off the board and how highly rated the 3rd guy will be? Way premature. Too much shuffles around between now and then. 

Moving up to #3 a full month before the combine isn't in the same galaxy as moving up to #1 a week before the draft, or to #2 the day before the draft with 2 equally-rated QBs expected to go 1-2.

Super sensible post. I actually agree.

19 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I see your upset about Mayfield showing up late and going 1-5 passing and fumbling a snap 

Sorry

1.) he showed up late because his mother is in the hospital.

2.) he never went 1-5 and fumbled, as I have been posting the update to literally EVERY thing that has been happening, I think should know.

and finally 

3.) Baker Mayfield has absolutely shined the entire time and his stock has sky rocketed because of it. Throwing dimes into tight windows isn’t something I’m upset about.

you igit. 

Just now, jetscrazey said:

If the Browns go for Allen and the Giants take Rosen the Jets simply have to trade up to #3 to take Darnold.

At this point .. I don’t think anyone is taking Allen I the top five .. showed off a super strong arm but overall underwhelmed everyone at the senior bowl practices. He better have a huge game.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is in a Scenario where they get Cousins smart one.

In that case you're 100% correct.  My guess is our #6 is even more valuable than both Bills 1's.

before you say no - ask yourself, would you trade #6 for the Bills 2 1's? (21 and 22)

I’m actually shocked that so many people are willing to stay put at 6. We need to be the aggressor. Mayfield may be there at 6, but there’s also a chance he’s going to climb up everyone’s board too. I’m sick of not having a QB. If our FO believe he’s a franchise QB, you trade up. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

so no they're not more valuable or no you woudln't make the trade?

I wouldn’t make that trade. This is a very top heavy draft in the skill position department. I couldn’t do it ..which kind of makes 6# more valuable than both late rounders. It just depends on your team holes and amount of picks in the top 100. In our position I wouldn’t do it.

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I’m actually shocked that so many people are willing to stay put at 6. We need to be the aggressor. Mayfield may be there at 6, but there’s also a chance he’s going to climb up everyone’s board too. I’m sick of not having a QB. If our FO believe he’s a franchise QB, you trade up. 

If we don't land cousins - we have no choice but to trade up to 6.  You can't risk losing your guy.  

Trade the 1 and both 2's...should get it done - then you have $100mm in cap space and build that O-line - draft a RB in the 3rd - and go from there.

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If we don't land cousins - we have no choice but to trade up to 6.  You can't risk losing your guy.  

Trade the 1 and both 2's...should get it done - then you have $100mm in cap space and build that O-line - draft a RB in the 3rd - and go from there.

I am possessive of the 2nd round picks but you are right-if we don't sign Cousins we have $100mm.  Sign Norwell, Jensen, Lawrence, T. Johnson and McCown and don't look back.  

McCown plus a draft pick is still alot cheaper than Cousins.

The trick there is that we would need to be prepared for Allen or Mayfield at 3, as Darnold and Rosen may be gone. That is where this comes off the rails.  Giants will take Rosen if he passes their muster.

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am possessive of the 2nd round picks but you are right-if we don't sign Cousins we have $100mm.  Sign Norwell, Jensen, Lawrence, T. Johnson and McCown and don't look back.  

McCown plus a draft pick is still alot cheaper than Cousins.

The trick there is that we would need to be prepared for Allen or Mayfield at 3, as Darnold and Rosen may be gone. That is where this comes off the rails.  Giants will take Rosen if he passes their muster.

I personally want Mayfield anyway.  I think he's going to be best of the bunch.

That's my big concern with Cousins - while I like Cousins, don't mind spending the money, he'll solidfy the position for next 5 or 6 years - it's the opportunity cost of passing on Mayfield that worries me the most.

While it depends on what happens in FA I'm all for trading to move and do whatever you have to do to get Mayfield. Forget the nonsense that you don't take the guy if you can trade for the #3. Mayfield will be gone by the time the Jets pick at six. If the Colts are seriously shopping their pick you almost have to go and get it. Unless Mayfield goes #1 the Jets will need to get past the Broncos if they want Mayfield and want him they should.

To those saying "Denver will sign Cousins and then won't draft a QB" I think you need a reality check.  If there's a QB that teams badly want then Denver will trade down and acquire a bunch of assets.  Buffalo would be a good match as a trading partner considering (IIRC) they have 2 #1's, 2 #2's and 2 #3's.  It is very possible the 1st 4 picks in this draft will all be QBs (in some order: Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield).  It's also possible that Mayfield won't even be around at pick #3.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To those saying "Denver will sign Cousins and then won't draft a QB" I think you need a reality check.  If there's a QB that teams badly want then Denver will trade down and acquire a bunch of assets.  Buffalo would be a good match as a trading partner considering (IIRC) they have 2 #1's, 2 #2's and 2 #3's.  It is very possible the 1st 4 picks in this draft will all be QBs (in some order: Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield).  It's also possible that Mayfield won't even be around at pick #3.

But, let's just say Mayfield isn't around at 3, that means one of Darnold or Rosen is. Time to trade up.

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

But, let's just say Mayfield isn't around at 3, that means one of Darnold or Rosen is. Time to trade up.

Very true.  If Macc likes all 3 then I'm perfectly fine with him trading a lot to move up to #3.  It's time the Jets finally addressed the QB situation for real.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is a very top heavy draft in the skill position department.

Can you give examples?

I feel the opposite -- I think like there will be great players in rounds 2 and 3 (and even beyond that) who are not a very big drop off from no.6.

No.6 has a high potential of being a tragic place to draft. Unless Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold are there at 6, I'd be happy to take Buf's 2 picks (along with a 3rd or 4th.)

Archived