Trading up would be mistake

Jets723

I know jet fans are aching for  "franchise QB"  but trading up probably will kill us in the longrun. First off it would cost ALOT. Just to move a few spots we would likely cost the 6th pick,both 2nds, next years first, and maybe something else. Thats not worth it considering all the holes we have. Also lets be honest over the past 20 years all these "franchise qbs" that are taken at the top of the draft usually fizzle out. The only guys i can think of that actually won were the mannings. Luck was/is ultra-talented but even he hasnt led the colts anywhere. We should stay put to see if someone drops or trade back to gain extra picks and select  Another qb who might be getting less coverage than the other 4 but still has talent

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rams, and Eagles traded up for Goff, and Wentz. That paid off.

Chiefs and Texans traded up for Mahomes, and Watson. That paid off.

The guys coming this year have much more hype than both classes listed above.

And taking a chance on a late round QB has worked SO well for us in the past, hasn't it?

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I know jet fans are aching for  "franchise QB"  but trading up probably will kill us in the longrun. First off it would cost ALOT. Just to move a few spots we would likely cost the 6th pick,both 2nds, next years first, and maybe something else. Thats not worth it considering all the holes we have. Also lets be honest over the past 20 years all these "franchise qbs" that are taken at the top of the draft usually fizzle out. The only guys i can think of that actually won were the mannings. Luck was/is ultra-talented but even he hasnt led the colts anywhere. We should stay put to see if someone drops or trade back to gain extra picks and select  Another qb who might be getting less coverage than the other 4 but still has talent

we should trade this years draft and next years draft for Clevelands 1 and 4 and take Barkley and Rosen  that is all

little Ditka

Yeah trading up, a few of us awful doom sayers said that a few extra meaningless wins would screw come this draft and that is what happened.

Do you think the Eagles and the Rams are horrified a their large blunders in trading up for their QBS?

QB is so much more important than any other position you have to go get one.  And using the excuse that we are going to lose all that draft value?

Go look at the Jets 2nd round picks over the last 15 years and watch your eyes bleed.

The reasons we should not trade up for a QB and lose all that draft capital...

Christian Hackenburg

Devin Smith

Jace Amaro

Geno Smith

Stephen Hill

Vlad Ducasse

I mean with a murderers Row of 2nd rounders like these why would we ever want to expend draft capital to trade up for a QB?

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Stop.

Everyone on the planet would trade Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, Jordan Jenkins, and Jamal Adams for Carson Wentz or Jared Goff.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If you think the QB is there, it is 100000% worth trading up.  If not, you 100000% take a QB at 6.

But, we wont because BAP and stuff.

Williams and adams were awesome picks. Passing on them would have been ****in stupid

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Williams and adams were awesome picks. Passing on them would have been ****in stupid

Williams ash been good but not dominant, Adams is a run stuffing box safety.  If you are picking those non premium position the players better be perennial pro bowlers.

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Marshon Lattimore says whatup.  

And I'm betting Pat Mahomes is going to be pretty good this year.  Those were the two players I wanted ahead of Adams. 

Can't argue with you on Williams.

But really, good teams don't take strong safeties @ 6.  If Adams were Sean Taylor, I'd have been all for it.  But he's not.  

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah trading up, a few of us awful doom sayers said that a few extra meaningless wins would screw come this draft and that is what happened.

Do you think the Eagles and the Rams are horrified a their large blunders in trading up for their QBS?

QB is so much more important than any other position you have to go get one.  And using the excuse that we are going to lose all that draft value?

Go look at the Jets 2nd round picks over the last 15 years and watch your eyes bleed.

Exactly. We had the option to easily lock up the 2nd pick. After trading Richardson for future pick, and not spending jets made it known they weren’t going all in last yr. It was the perfect yr to give petty one last try and see if there was anything in Hackenberg. What would it have hurt ? If they were that bad ( we know petty is now ) the worst thing that could happen would be we pick 2nd in the draft. What a devastating season that would have been. At least now we can hold our heads high knowing we won 5 games not 2 or 3. 

21 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Oh clearly it would cost too much...

The Jets have such a wonderful track record drafting in the 2nd round.  Not to mention about every other 1st round pick turns out to be a waste too. And the Jets have done a marvelous job specifically evaluating QB talent in the 2nd round and beyond over the years.

THERE IS NO FUTURE WITHOUT A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK. Thus, a team cannot give up too much to try and acquire one. PERIOD.

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Marshon Lattimore says whatup.  

And I'm betting Pat Mahomes is going to be pretty good this year.  Those were the two players I wanted ahead of Adams. 

Can't argue with you on Williams.

But really, good teams don't take strong safeties @ 6.  If Adams were Sean Taylor, I'd have been all for it.  But he's not.  

Jamal adams is gonna get even better after a great rookie year...be a little fair

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I know fans like the "sexy" names but those types of guys havent really won in past years

When are people going to realize winning requires a team, not a single player. Also, all these top pick guys in the last 6 years have all played postseason football.

Jets literally hurt their future with trying to get to 5 wins. It sucks, it happened, it's done. You don't compound that by not trying to get a qb by any means necessary.

we've tried it your way a million times. It doesn't work. Let's try getting a qb, preferably one that doesn't suffer massive accuracy issues and can comprehend plays and defenses and time zones and stuff like that. 

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The reasons we should not trade up for a QB and lose all that draft capital...

Christian Hackenburg

Devin Smith

Jace Amaro

Geno Smith

Stephen Hill

Vlad Ducasse

I mean with a murderers Row of 2nd rounders like these why would we ever want to expend draft capital to trad up for a QB?

I enjoyed this post way too much and forced others to listen to me read it to them as they stared without care. But I still loved it, Beerfish, I still loved it.

20 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Jets literally hurt their future with trying to get to 5 wins. It sucks, it happened, it's done. You don't compound that by not trying to get a qb by any means necessary.

we've tried it your way a million times. It doesn't work. Let's try getting a qb, preferably one that doesn't suffer massive accuracy issues and can comprehend plays and defenses and time zones and stuff like that. 

We traded up for mark Sanchez. How did that work out ? It’s fun to draft a “ maybe he can be “ franchise qb. These days you can trade or sign for a quality “proven” qb. Keenum, Smith Collins, ect. Rather than give up valuable picks for a qb “who may be good.” Instead we should be like Philly. Do what is not as fun but more responsible, build line through draft. Olineman coming out are much less likely to be a bust then qbs. Instead of wasting hackenberg pick, we could have had a solid young Olineman.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We traded up for mark Sanchez. How did that work out ? It’s fun to draft a “ maybe he can be “ franchise qb. These days you can trade or sign for a quality qb. Keenum, Smith Collins, ect. Rather than give up valuable picks for a qb “who may be good.” Instead we should be like Philly. Do what is not as fun but more responsible, build line through draft. Olineman coming out are much less likely to be a bust then qbs. Instead of wasting hackenberg pick, we could have had a solid young Olineman.

Excellent Post

Archived