Someone sell me on Darnold

greenwichjetfan

On 4/27/2018 at 9:51 AM, The Crusher said:

It’s actually a  great thread and I’m glad you made it. Enjoying everyone’s answers. I fell in love with Sam watching the 2016 Rosebowl. If you got time get a table full of food and drink and watch “ our boy” play that game. It’s one game but damn!!!

Plus at only 20 he could be our guy for twenty years. He seems to have the make up and durability for that. Again, excellent thread and thanks for sharing. 

Spent all of the downtime I had this whole weekend reading everything, watching all of the little clips and pieces, etc.

I also found 2.5 hrs to sit down with about $16 of Taco Bell and 3 16oz tins of Breaking Bud, and watched the 2016 Rose Bowl.

Wow. I fell in love. I think what @KRL said earlier in this thread holds true: because I never thought Darnold was a possibility, I didn’t follow him through the draft process, and largely ignored all of the things that I watched for Rosen and Baker. The only real experience I ever had with Darnold was the USC-UCLA game earlier this year...which I tuned in for Rosen. But I’m sold, and super amped.

Rosen’s draft interview and follow up press conferences help in feeling better as well.  He genuinely does talk a lot. Not that it’s becessarily bad, but the sheer volume is a bit much.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Spent all of the downtime I had this whole weekend reading everything, watching all of the little clips and pieces, etc.

I also found 2.5 hrs to sit down with about $16 of Taco Bell and 3 16oz tins of Breaking Bud, and watched the 2016 Rose Bowl.

Wow. I fell in love. I think what @KRL said earlier in this thread holds true: because I never thought Darnold was a possibility, I didn’t follow him through the draft process, and largely ignored all of the things that I watched for Rosen and Baker. The only real experience I ever had with Darnold was the USC-UCLA game earlier this year...which I tuned in for Rosen. But I’m sold, and super amped.

Rosen’s draft interview and follow up press conferences help in feeling better as well.  He genuinely does talk a lot. Not that it’s becessarily bad, but the sheer volume is a bit much.

haha fantastic. Yeah the kid gives us every reason to feel good about him. Of course he is flawed but its not hard to convince yourself he can be very good. If anything our coaching staff getting him there and surrounding him with a championship caliber roster provides pause. But, it has to start with a FQG and for all intents and purposes we got one.

I think his stoic American pie blue collar worker persona will be great for the Ny Media. He is not going to be providing weekly sound bites for those jackals. in NY thats a pretty nice trait. Glad you took the time and looking forward to enjoying Sam with everyone.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:13 AM, Hael said:

Rosen is more pro ready and obviously has a much larger understanding of football than Darnold.  Darnold is  more of a project.  But people can be taught systems and how to read defenses.  

The reason Rosen wasn't chosen is b/c of his injury history and much more crucially, he gives off major Cutler vibes.  Recall that Cutler was an elite qb in the league for a few years there when he was younger, but then sorta tapered off into who gives a **** mode.  You can't have that in your franchise pick.  You have to want it day in and day out to keep wanting to perfect the little things necessary in order to win.

With the Jets iffy line I think Darnold is a better match as he is more of an improvisor and throws better on the run.  Rosen was inconsistent, at best, when he was flushed out of the pocket.  Also, Darnold looks a lot bigger and more durable.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:23 AM, redlichtie said:

The reading defendes issue is a potential problem though. Both Sanchez and Geno put up amazing numbers in college and had tremendous physical skills but the NFL found them out mentally....this is a major factor in becoming a successful franchise QB

Darnold's tape is far more impressive than Sanchez's was.  I do worry about the fact that they each started for less than two full years.  But I don't worry about the fact that they both went to USC.

7 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Darnold's tape is far more impressive than Sanchez's was.  I do worry about the fact that they each started for less than two full years.  But I don't worry about the fact that they both went to USC.

Haven't seen Sam shirtless in a GQ spread yet and I think that will make all the difference. Like Parcell's talked about stars verses football players. We got ourselves a football player in Sam.

I think when you watch a few full games of Darnold its easy to see that for a 20 year old kid with less than 30 starts, he plays the game at a different level then everyone else.

His pocket movement, and complete disregard for the pocket collapsing is something that I have never seen in a college QB (I didnt watch Rogers in college).  He is able to throw passes that look slightly inaccurate as his WR has to jump or dive (somewhat) but that is because he is throwing to a spot not to the player and that spot is away from the defender.  

Sure he had some bad picks this season, Brady throws pick sixes once in a while too, but the kid was 15 tds and 1 int in the red zone as a second year starter after losing both WRs and 3 Olineman.  

For the first time since Ive been alive and closely following this team we have a QB whose true ceiling is top 2-3 in the league.  We need the organization to do everything possible to develop him so that he hits that ceiling

On 4/27/2018 at 6:58 AM, New York Mick said:

Sell or don’t yourself. Watch his college games and make up your own mind. Either way there’s nothing you can do about it. 

This.  It's not fellow fans' job to convince anyone about a team's selection.  Do your own research.  Watch youtube clips, read articles, etc.

Every QB, good or bad, have fans and detractors.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:51 AM, nycdan said:

I read in the DN that Matt Ryan had the same number of turnovers his last year in college.  He turned it around rather nicely.  Not saying Darnold WILL but I am saying there's recent and valid precedent he CAN.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Darnold's first full season of action will put up big numbers....both TDs and INTs.  I think he's got some Favre in him and just like Peyton Manning's first year, he'll throw quite a few INTs but they'll go down as he gets more experience.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 10.34.43 AM.png

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that Darnold's first full season of action will put up big numbers....both TDs and INTs.  I think he's got some Favre in him and just like Peyton Manning's first year, he'll throw quite a few INTs but they'll go down as he gets more experience.

Not all INTs are necessarily bad.  I’d rather have my QB willing to take a chance or two fitting a ball into tight windows than having him apprehensive and waiting for bigger windows to open. 

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m just ecstatic the Jets didn’t end up with Mayfield.  A QB draft finally went the Jets way.  Be thankful Jet fans.  

And be thankful we’re not Cleveland 

Those mooks had Darnold and Chubb served up on a silver platter and passed.

Darnold, the consensus #1 QB in the draft for over a year until everyone started nitpicking the sh*t out of him about 2-3 weeks ago, and Chubb who could’ve been wrecking opposing QB’s in Cleveland along with Garrett for the next decade.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Darnold, the consensus #1 QB in the draft for over a year until everyone started nitpicking the sh*t out of him about 2-3 weeks ago, and Chubb who could’ve been wrecking opposing QB’s in Cleveland along with Garrett for the next decade.

That Ward pick is just comical. Even if you need a corner, you don’t pick a 5’10” guy when a beast of a pass rusher is sitting there.  

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

haha fantastic. Yeah the kid gives us every reason to feel good about him. Of course he is flawed but its not hard to convince yourself he can be very good. If anything our coaching staff getting him there and surrounding him with a championship caliber roster provides pause. But, it has to start with a FQG and for all intents and purposes we got one.

I think his stoic American pie blue collar worker persona will be great for the Ny Media. He is not going to be providing weekly sound bites for those jackals. in NY thats a pretty nice trait. Glad you took the time and looking forward to enjoying Sam with everyone.

Agree and I was a Rosen guy, but as KRL and GJF said I didn't think he'd make it #3 so didn't pay attention to him the past two months. Patience everyone

I was a Rosen guy going in, followed by Mayfield, did not want any part of Allen, did not think Darnold would even be an option.  If Cleveland didn't take him, it was the Giants taking him or trading out.  First I really "saw" Sam was the Rose Bowl like everyone else.  Anyway, once Suck for Sam became a thing, I made it a point to watch a lot of USC football.  I saw a lot of the great and horrible from this kid.  He has the physical tools, no doubt.  The thing that really stuck out to me was his heart.  He never stops playing, just doesn't "tank it", as other USC QBs have been known to do.  Throws that terrible pick or strip sacked, he's right back in the game leading his team and firing away, just does not faze him.  He's not emotional, but I just see a ton of emotion in his play, hard to put into words.  Then you have Palmer talking about fixing Sam's ball security issues and saying that you don't want to fix them too much, you need to let him be great.  This tells me that the Jets need to focus more on giving him the tools from the personnel standpoint so he can do his thing.  Must be done next offseason, more should have been done with regards to the Oline in this past draft.  

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

browns love getting Manziel’d

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

browns love getting Manziel’d

The Browns browned.

I don’t even know why I’m the least bit surprised. Doesn’t matter if they hired Dorsey, it’s as if as soon as you walk through those doors the stink engulfs you and you can’t get rid of it.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

The Browns browned.

I don’t even know why I’m the least bit surprised. Doesn’t matter if they hired Dorsey, it’s as if as soon as you walk through those doors the stink engulfs you and you can’t get rid of it.

Not sure what Dorsey was thinking.  Not only Darnold but Rosen and Allen were also way better prospects

I think he sees Mayfield as possibly a better Alex Smith

1 hour ago, SMC said:

This.  It's not fellow fans' job to convince anyone about a team's selection.  Do your own research.  Watch youtube clips, read articles, etc.

Every QB, good or bad, have fans and detractors.

This contributed a lot to the thread. Thank you for your input.

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Not sure what Dorsey was thinking.  Not only Darnold but Rosen and Allen were also way better prospects

I think he sees Mayfield as possibly a better Alex Smith

That’s basically what Mayfield’s ceiling is. That’s why I compared him to a guy like Jeff Garcia. I think if he pans out, he has the talent to be a good, respectable QB...but I don’t see Drew Brees or Russell Wilson with him.

Darnold comes equipped with everything to be one of the top tier QB’s in the league for the next 12-15 years barring injury.

Just now, Untouchable said:

That’s basically what Mayfield’s ceiling is. That’s why I compared him to a guy like Jeff Garcia. I think if he pans out, he has the talent to be a good, respectable QB...but I don’t see Drew Brees or Russell Wilson with him.

Darnold comes equipped with everything to be one of the top tier QB’s in the league for the next 12-15 years barring injury.

If Darnold is half as good as Roethlisberger the jets had a great draft 

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 10.34.43 AM.png

Paging Mike Holmgren!

28 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Plus, even if the Browns really loved Mayfield, they got spooked into taking him at 1 but the smokescreen Jet-love for him.  They could've taken Barkley or Chubb at 1, then guaranteed themselves one of either Mayfield or Allen at 4 (those were supposedly their top 2).  Instead, they end up with Mayfield Ward.  Head scratcher.

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This contributed a lot to the thread. Thank you for your input.

You're welcome.  It's completely subjective.  He has the physical tools, the techniques, the intangibles, etc. It's all out there on film and in articles. Either that works for you or not.

45 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Not all INTs are necessarily bad.  I’d rather have my QB willing to take a chance or two fitting a ball into tight windows than having him apprehensive and waiting for bigger windows to open. 

I'm with you.  This may sound odd but along the same lines, I'd rather have a guy who over three passes had a completion, incompletion and INT instead of holding the ball every time and taking 3 sacks on those three drop backs.

18 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Browns browned.

And let's not forget, Mayfield is the oldest of the Big 4 QBs.  He was born in 1995, Allen in 96, and both Darnold and Rosen in 97.

So the Browns drafted an older, shorter, less athletic QB than the rest that were available, mainly, apparently, because of better amateur production.

56 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m just ecstatic the Jets didn’t end up with Mayfield.  A QB draft finally went the Jets way.  Be thankful Jet fans.  

None of us truly know until we know, but I'm glad Maccagnan didn't have the option.  I really am curious about what the Jets QB board looked like though.  I'd like to think he would have went Darnold over all the others but where did Mayfield vs. Rosen sit?  How would Maccagnan have handled a situation where Darnold went #2 to the Giants and he was choosing between Allen and Rosen?  Would he have taken Allen like the Bills did?

On 4/27/2018 at 3:52 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

I hate Debbie downers. This site is filled with them and is generally why I read the site 10x/day but average only 1 post/day. SOJF aren’t worth my time, I say. But today, I realize I sound like one.

I want to be happy and excited. I woke up yesterday like a 7 year old on Christmas, knowing we were going to get our choice of 2 of the top 3 QBs, knowing that there was no way we’d make the Allen mistake because I see Mac growing before our eyes, and knowing that we’d choose one of them. I cleared my entire afternoon even though I have a major deadline looming for today. I WFH, went to MetLife with my brother and best friend, tailgated with @Maxman and got to meet TailgateJoe. I was amped for the draft. I knew I’d be excited. 

However, standing there on the field at the 50 in MetLife while the Jets were on the clock, I found myself hoping for the most cerebral guy in the draft who happens to be able to make every single throw on the field, and when Goodell called Darnold, I found myself to be upset. I don’t want to feel this way. 

Someone please sell me on Darnold. Sell me on why his turnovers, small hands, minimal starting experience, and USC non-pro-style background are irrelevant or can be amended with age and experience.

Or better yet, someone go the other way and sell me on why Darnold will be throwing TDS in meaningful December and January (and hopefully February) games for the next 12-15 years.

GFY

Archived